Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

The character that forced the plot forward also provided the resolution, also the only character in the show that killed real people. For no reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Liver Disaster posted:

The character that forced the plot forward also provided the resolution, also the only character in the show that killed real people. For no reason.

and was also the most fun to watch

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Absolutely, I don't regret watching Re:Creators because Magane was excellent.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Well I was wrong, it turns out they can just completely ignore Magane in the denouement. :shrug:

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
Yup, presumably still around somewhere, probably won't get up to any trouble. Don't worry about it, we won't.

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
There is either another episode or the writers literally forgot Magane in the end.

Robot Uprising
Sep 19, 2006

Spinning Buzz Saws
So Magane; consistantly the best character, and one to actually save the world.

Just completely ignored in the final episode

gently caress this show

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Robot Uprising posted:

gently caress this show

emptyquotin' this post

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
They didn't forget Magane; she shows up in Sota's picture of "Our Beloved Family" in the end :what:

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013
what did y'all expect this whole epilogue was for the creations that still had living creators. like she's probs somewhere in the world drinking milk and/or murdering someone

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

HenryEx posted:

They didn't forget Magane; she shows up in Sota's picture of "Our Beloved Family" in the end :what:

Where she's the only one with a nose, further confirming she's better than the rest of these losers.

Honestly, from some of the preview shots I'd thought they were going with the cop-out bring-every-back-to-life bit, which, you know, is a cop out, but with how the show had been treating death already, didn't seem too out of step. Probably would reduce the anger at Altair getting away with everything, and flow better with an empty happy ending. Also would be something happening in the finale. Wasn't thinking it'd be good, but it might have been the right call.

They didn't make that call.

This is the way the show ends, then. With no explanations, ignored plot threads, and Sota still being boring. I wish I could be surprised.

But even if, by some miracle, the show worked, it didn't do jack to justify calling it a story to surpass all stories. Why hype yourself up like that for The Last Action Hero But Anime? Only giving people more ammo to skewer you with.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

drilldo squirt posted:

There is either another episode or the writers literally forgot Magane in the end.

Robot Uprising posted:

gently caress this show

Magane pretty explicitly got out of dodge instead of show up for the final battle and risk her life. The last we saw of her she was getting on a plane to who knows where to enjoy her life. She obviously wasn't coming back.

She is getting her own spin-off manga though.

Nephthys fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Sep 16, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Nephthys posted:

Magane pretty explicitly got out of dodge instead of show up for the final battle and risk her life. The last we saw of her she was getting on a plane to who knows where to enjoy her life. She obviously wasn't coming back.

Wouldn't that just be Murcielago?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Nephthys posted:

A bad omen for the artist

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Magane just used her powers to go be rich as gently caress and is probably just living in luxury and is a normal shark toothed person now like Meteora. They seemed to have lost her whereabouts long ago and to he honest with her powers before they faded could probably set up a bunch of dumb protection with making randos call out her bs.

Also she's from a horror manga as the monster, I think she prefers being a real life monster, a 1%er, more.

If anyone deserves a spinoff it's Magane though.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

Is it possible watching this show was worth the recap episode and the conclusion (and Magane) (edit: and the recap comics)?

I mean no,.... but maybe?

Anyways, ending with a whole bunch of "And now I am doing this! And now this has just happened!" hamfisted exposition was just funny in that sad way.

If this show was 14 episodes and had some director or editor tell the scriptwriter to get every non-Magane character to shut the gently caress up after they've had their say, this could have been in contention for anime of the year, but alas.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Sep 17, 2017

Desuwa
Jun 2, 2011

I'm telling my mommy. That pubbie doesn't do video games right!
Meteora decided she hadn't talked enough so she became a novelist.

There were some high points, showing that the writers could do good work when they tried, but they were few and far between. Just a miserable slog.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
just a 4 second shot of Megane in the foreground of a english or american cityscape would have been fine :(

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Why would you bother dwelling anymore on the worst character out of an impressively bad cast?

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

Zetsubou-san posted:

just a 4 second shot of Megane in the foreground of a english or american cityscape would have been fine :(

She shows up in the recap at least.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Anyone got the rest of these translated? The last half at least

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Hoorah, Re:CREATOS: See ya, wouldn't wanna be ya.

Nephthys
Mar 27, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

Anyone got the rest of these translated? The last half at least

https://imgur.com/a/fCrGx

I'd forgotten how great some of these are. Truly deplorable.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

Zetsubou-san posted:

"Hahaha there's no way Americans will be stupid enough to elect Trump"

"A lie about a lie... turns inside-out on itself!"

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
if there's someone who deserves those stupid mspaints with maga hats, its magane

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

These almost make watching this whole show worth it. Almost. Well okay not really that close. But still. Good stuff.

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~

Terrible Opinions posted:

Why would you bother dwelling anymore on the worst character out of an impressively bad cast?

I agree, no idea why they gave Sota so much screentime

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

To think that the creator of Black Lagoon would help create such a messy story. :negative:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Grouchio posted:

To think that the creator of Black Lagoon would help create such a messy story. :negative:
Something that always struck me as weird is the fact that it's full of characters that Rotton is a parody of.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darke GBF posted:

I agree, no idea why they gave Sota so much screentime

I'd say Sota was the only impressively bad character. I mean, not that anyone was particularly great either, but mostly they were just standard boring with nothing to do. If there was a good anchor, they'd be... fine. Disappointing, but fine.

But Sota is loving terrible. We've got shows like FLCL, Konosuba, My Hero Academia, and loving Black Lagoon showing that an everyman protagonist can be interesting, useful, and dynamic, but Sōta Mizushino just... sucks. A lot. He doesn't even earn his big win at the end, instead relying on Magane to handle the groundwork.

I'm not saying he's the worst protagonist of all time or anything, but even by bad protagonist standards he's unusually boring.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Mordja posted:

Something that always struck me as weird is the fact that it's full of characters that Rotton is a parody of.
And not one of them was voiced by Sugita! :mad:

Also, was the eroge writer guy a not-so-affectionate mockery of the Monogatari author?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

If it's supposed to make fun of him it didn't really work. He has more life than anyone else in the show. Everyone else was as rote as slasher movie victims.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah, it just strikes me as odd that they called him Nishio Onishi and while certainly less of a cardboard cutout than the rest of the cast it just strikes me as a slight towards the Monogatari dude.

Also, you know: Look at that name.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm gonna miss this smile. :syoon:

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

I think Shota was a good character, but in the wrong show. He was a fairly realistic depiction of someone with real mental issues, who manages to deal and cope with them. The problem lies in the fact that this is a shounen series, so tolerance for that kind of slow social thing with no action isn't going to be very high, and Meteora alone makes sure that that tolerance has been drained before we even get to Shota's plot. Hell, I'd say that if Meteora wasn't there, and Shota was in a higher-paced shonen series, Shota's stuff would've been fine. I'll even go a step further and say that if you replaced Meteora's pointless expo-dumps with other characters having slice of life moments in that time, Shota would've been fine.

Basically the show's worst failings make even the stuff it does well feel like they're bad.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Yeah, the show's really huge issue was that it seemed like Hiroe wrote the beginning and ending and then had no idea how to get from one to the other.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Sindai posted:

Yeah, the show's really huge issue was that it seemed like Hiroe wrote the beginning and ending and then had no idea how to get from one to the other.

The show's really huge issue was that it was a show about writing by a team who drastically overestimated their combined writing talents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liver Disaster
Mar 31, 2012

no more tears

Wark Say posted:

I'm gonna miss this smile. :syoon:

It would have been better at just 12 episodes and like 70% Magane.
I still liked it a lot better than Gatchaman Crowds, for having better reasons for the whole crowd sourced power thing

• Locked thread