Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I.C. posted:

But that wasn't even painted then! During the time! It's a lovely painting, but ancient it ain't.

yeah what a duffus, that was obviously painted in ancient Rome :rolleyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Haha this thread is a great goof!!

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Rutibex posted:

yeah what a duffus, that was obviously painted in ancient Rome :rolleyes:

I liked...what is it called? Athenian guy because he was the first one who showed movement! He had he leg OUT and it was totally crazy!
My art history experience might have been different from yours... Kronos! Kronos Boy? Well, whatever, there was a guy some other guy sculpted and for the first time ever the sculpture had his leg out and this was big news.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

I used the Internet. It's called KOUROS.

See the leg? Big deal, that leg.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I.C. posted:

I liked...what is it called? Athenian guy because he was the first one who showed movement! He had he leg OUT and it was totally crazy!
My art history experience might have been different from yours... Kronos! Kronos Boy? Well, whatever, there was a guy some other guy sculpted and for the first time ever the sculpture had his leg out and this was big news.

it was a amazing time in human development. they were masters of form, anatomy and motion. truly an enlightened era

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Rutibex posted:

it was a amazing time in human development. they were masters of form, anatomy and motion. truly an enlightened era

That is probably a Roman copy...isn't everything? It's all flooding back!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I.C. posted:

That is probably a Roman copy...isn't everything? It's all flooding back!

yeah it was found in Pompeii. thats not the sort of statue i would expect to survive the middle ages

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
the progression of art is like watching mankind grow up over the years :kiddo:

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

myDad posted:

Yes! It is adorable! And weird...

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I still remember my first goat :allears:

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

myDad posted:

I still remember my first goat :allears:

Please do not be disgusting! This thread is about art. I think.

So, what do we got...columns! Three kinds, as I recall. Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian. I cannot tell the difference...wait, those are Roman, aren't they?

Shoot.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

myDad posted:

no it way weirder than that. scope out this horse head from 15,000 BC

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Rutibex posted:

no it way weirder than that. scope out this horse head from 15,000 BC

How did they know about aliens and that wolf from the movie "The Never Ending Story" from deep in the past?

ROMANS! What WILL they do next. Or Greeks. One or the other.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I like this horse

e: Also check out little Alexander blazing it on his chest :420: lmao

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
perspective? maybe that was invented in 35,000 BC

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

myDad posted:

I like this horse

e: Also check out little Alexander blazing it on chest :420: lmao

The horse and the icon are seeing each other.

Well, what is the provenance of this art, myDad?

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Rutibex posted:

The caves never looked like this!

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
According to wikipedia it's a Roman mosaic discovered in Pompeii

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
Chalk another one up for the Romans, boys

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

These days it is much easier to learn about things and to do things, I hear. Much, much easier!
Or faster or something!

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

myDad posted:

Chalk another one up for the Romans, boys

Good that they stuck around long enough to get some things right...before, you know...everything else.

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
the ancient greeks loved to get high as balls cause all their early votive and alter statues had huge pupils from mushroom or w/e hallucinogenic they used during the mysteries

also that they stole the celts method for decorating clay with red slip (terra sigillata)

Nude
Nov 16, 2014

I have no idea what I'm doing.

Rutibex posted:

Funny enough there is one cave painting with tons of bulls and other animals, but curiously has only one image of a human. Because of a few squiggles people with high degrees are desperately trying to make sense of this:

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]
its a dude who got gored and broke his back and everyone laughed at his priapism so much they painted it on their cave walls to remember

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I.C. posted:

Good that they stuck around long enough to get some things right...before, you know...everything else.

the empire never died! there is one art form and traditional institution that survives to us from ancient times uninterrupted

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Nude posted:

Funny enough there is one cave painting with tons of bulls and other animals, but curiously has only one image of a human. Because of a few squiggles people with high degrees are desperately trying to make sense of this:

Now, that's a gigantic crab monster. I am beginning to suspect forgery...

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

I.C. posted:

Please do not be disgusting! This thread is about art. I think.

So, what do we got...columns! Three kinds, as I recall. Doric, Ionic, and Corinthian. I cannot tell the difference...wait, those are Roman, aren't they?

Shoot.

those are the three greek orders, romans had composite columns which married the ionic and corinthian order and were 20diameters tall

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

EX250 Type R posted:

those are the three greek orders, romans had composite columns which married the ionic and corinthian order and were 20diameters tall

What kind is that?

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
20 diameters?? Holy heck!!

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

mmmm check out this pair of hot babes

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

like a cigarette should posted:

mmmm check out this pair of hot babes

They were still working on how to make things look like the things they represented! The bandeau tops means they are ladies...

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT

I.C. posted:

They were still working on how to make things look like the things they represented! The bandeau tops means they are ladies...

uh CLEARLY a pair of hot beach babes working out, not even caring about the male gaze headed their way!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

like a cigarette should posted:

uh CLEARLY a pair of hot beach babes working out, not even caring about the male gaze headed their way!!

Why is he so cheerful? And tilted? Is he another Roman...

• Locked thread