Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Aristides of Thebes is the one that will always stick out from the teachings of Mrs. Booras. She would go on and go about Aristides and his son Ariston. It's a fond memory that i hold close to my breast.

He lived in the 4th century BC. He had a reputation for expressiveness: for example, a picture of his representing a dying mother's fear lest her infant should suck death from her breast became celebrated. He also painted one of Alexander the Great's battles. King Attalus of Pergamon allegedly bought one of his pictures for 100 talents.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Universe Master
Jun 20, 2005

Darn Fine Pie

How many dudes did he thigh-gently caress?

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
In case it's not clear from the OP, the painting is not a painting by Aristides of Thebes, and there's actually no reason to post it in this thread except that it's the first painting to come up if you GIS "Aristides of Thebes." The painting is called The Plague of Thebes: Oedipus and Antigone by the 19th century French painter Charles Jalabert.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

cda posted:

In case it's not clear from the OP, the painting is not a painting by Aristides of Thebes, and there's actually no reason to post it in this thread except that it's the first painting to come up if you GIS "Aristides of Thebes." The painting is called The Plague of Thebes: Oedipus and Antigone by the 19th century French painter Charles Jalabert.

things slip through, like the sands of time through my clasped fingers please post one and i'll update the OP

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Hardawn posted:

things slip through, like the sands of time through my clasped fingers please post one and i'll update the OP

There are no confirmed extant paintings by Aristides of Thebes.

Cosmic Web
Jan 11, 2005

"Stand and deliver, that my hamster might have a better look at you!"
Fun Shoe
I remember the paintings of Priapus

Neat Machine
May 5, 2008

heh

cda posted:

There are no confirmed extant paintings by Aristides of Thebes.
Well they don't have to be a certain type of painting, any would be fine im sure

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
from my own independent research not supported by grants, i've come to the conclusion based on the opinion of experts that the painting referenced in the OP most closely resembles

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

So was the mom afraid the baby would die because of her? Or that the baby would kill her by draining her life force?

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
this got me wondering, ancient Greek paintings have pretty much all disintegrated, but here's a remnant from a 4th century wall painting:

Now I'm confused, because that looks like a pretty advanced painting, with a three-dimensional-looking chariot wheel and good foreshortening, but I thought perspective wasn't really developed until like 1415?

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Zorodius posted:

this got me wondering, ancient Greek paintings have pretty much all disintegrated, but here's a remnant from a 4th century wall painting:

Now I'm confused, because that looks like a pretty advanced painting, with a three-dimensional-looking chariot wheel and good foreshortening, but I thought perspective wasn't really developed until like 1415?

There was a point where civilization basically got reset in western Europe, in fact I think it's happened a couple times.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

500 good dogs posted:

So was the mom afraid the baby would die because of her? Or that the baby would kill her by draining her life force?

as my esteemed colleague cda pointed out, we are at a loss for the actual photo-representation of the painting, so it really depends on the age of the child and the state of the mother. My ancillary research in the sociological field of mammal breast feeding leads me to believe that the mother would indeed be more afraid of having her life force suckled away by the greedy maw of the child. Infanticide weighs heavily on the ailing mind during such a trying time.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Jim Barris posted:

There was a point where civilization basically got reset in western Europe, in fact I think it's happened a couple times.

If so, that's pretty horrifying. I hope whoever shovels the radioactive ash off our remains is smarter than we were.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009

Zorodius posted:

If so, that's pretty horrifying. I hope whoever shovels the radioactive ash off our remains is smarter than we were.

Oh don't worry there won't be any survivors of the coming nuclear hellfire.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
Fresh start, what's that Buddhist dust art you blow away. It's like that

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

Hardawn posted:

Fresh start, what's that Buddhist dust art you blow away. It's like that

I don't know what it's called but I can tell you that it represents the struggles of Samsara.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Zorodius posted:

They couldn't even remember how to build domes like the Romans/Greeks did until about the Renaissance iirc.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

βάλλ' εἰς κόρακας

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

Grevling posted:

βάλλ' εἰς κόρακας

:prepop:

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
art is a distraction from strength

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice

Stinky_Pete posted:

Universe Master posted:

How many dudes did you thigh-gently caress?

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Zorodius posted:

artistic styles arent like scientific knowledge, where you pile on more and more and it builds up over time based on its foundations.

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
i hadnt thought about those in ages OP

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

College Slice
I can just picture it now, 100 talons. Wow what a haul

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy
Greek is code word for anal

naem
May 29, 2011

Stinky_Pete posted:

art is whatever makes us proud to be human

Les Os
Mar 29, 2010
good dog

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

JakeP posted:

Greek is code word for anal

Is that like how you say you're going Dutch at a restaurant?

JakeP
Apr 27, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lipstick Apathy

500 good dogs posted:

Is that like how you say you're going Dutch at a restaurant?

sort of

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
Society needs to go back to that form of attire imho.

Space Taxi
Oct 31, 2016

naem posted:

art is whatever makes us proud to be human

So my dumps are art.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Zorodius posted:

uh those guys in 1415 were copying the ancients, it was this whole thing

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Greek?

No one knows anything about Ancient Greece. No one knows anything about modern Greece either.

SpaceClown
Feb 13, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I.C. posted:

Greek?

No one knows anything about Ancient Greece. No one knows anything about modern Greece either.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
this is my favorite ancient greek painting

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice
I like art (:

Dave_Indeed
Feb 22, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
OP...

The only time anyone talks about ancient anything is when adults are telling 1st year college students to shut the gently caress up and pass the mashed potatos at thanksgiving.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

myDad posted:

But that wasn't even painted then! During the time! It's a lovely painting, but ancient it ain't.

• Locked thread