Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Comic book writers: what if.... the blonde haired blue eyed Aryan ubermensch... was a NAZI!?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

i guess it was true after all... by punching the nazis you become no better than the nazis themselves

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Maya Fey posted:

i guess it was true after all... by punching the nazis you become no better than the nazis themselves

A wise lesson for any budding "anti-fascists" out there

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Lodin posted:

What's a good run of Squirrel Girl? I'm fed up with Deadpool but still want some light hearted monkey cheese.

Vol 2 is only on issue like 19 I think. Volume 1 was also very good and not a ton of issues so you can probably get a collected paper back of them. I would say though Squirrel Girl isn't the same style of humour as Deadpool, but if you don't love Kraven's van the "Kra-Van" then you shouldn't be reading comics anyway.

Julius CSAR
Oct 3, 2007

by sebmojo
DC made Supes a big fat commie (and Jimmy Olsen a KGB agent lol) I know it wasn't canon but no ever got upset about that I don't think.

Also Red Son is my fav comic behind Brian Wood's DMZ.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
There's another comic on right now, injustice, where superman is a fascist. Not brainwashed either, just went through grim dark circumstances and snapped.

That's not protest worthy because... idk.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Hemingway To Go! posted:

There's another comic on right now, injustice, where superman is a fascist. Not brainwashed either, just went through grim dark circumstances and snapped.

Yeah the idea that everyone is one bad day away from facism seems, i dunno, like an excuse

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
*oxballs slips on a comic book and starts talking about the final solution*

*slide whistle*

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Someone explain this to me

Some fat retard who constantly owns himself on twitter created a website called heatstreet

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

Í̝̰ ͓̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉m̺̩͝ ͇̬A̡̮̞̠͚͉̱̫ K̶e͓ǵ.̻̱̪͖̹̟̕

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m posted:

Some fat retard who constantly owns himself on twitter created a website called heatstreet

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

Julius CSAR posted:

DC made Supes a big fat commie (and Jimmy Olsen a KGB agent lol) I know it wasn't canon but no ever got upset about that I don't think.

Also Red Son is my fav comic behind Brian Wood's DMZ.

Because Red Son was good. The core message was also "Virtue isn't innately American."
Hydra Steve's core message is 'uh Trump bad??? I guess?'

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Because it's a lovely alternate reality tie-in to a Mortal Kombat videogame. No one protests Lex Luthor stealing 40 cakes either.
But yeah if some of the utterly terrible injustice comic stuff was official no one would buy DC. More so.
Like Damian kills Nightwing accidentally by throwing something at him in an argument, causing Nightwing to have a slip and fall, breaking his neck. At least I think it was Damian, if it was another Robin it's even more dumb.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
haha this is the most effective honeypot I've ever seen.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Coolness Averted posted:

Because Red Son was good. The core message was also "Virtue isn't innately American."

Doesn't Superman turn into an evil world dictator in that one? I feel like that's a pretty big difference

Coolness Averted
Feb 20, 2007

oh don't worry, I can't smell asparagus piss, it's in my DNA

GO HOGG WILD!
🐗🐗🐗🐗🐗

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Doesn't Superman turn into an evil world dictator in that one? I feel like that's a pretty big difference
Sorta. He totally winds up an authoritarian in the second half of the story (it's a tragedy after all). Dude is virtuous, but grows hardened and paranoid after everyone he trusts betrays him. Superman conquers the world, then has a cheesy "My Mother's name was Martha" moment with Lex and a secret note, where he realizes part of humanity is free choice and fakes his death/helps dismantle the worst parts of his empire. Humans then rebuild it into a true utopia -with Superman secretly watching.

I mean it's still a comic book and only gets sillier if I explain the note and its context and then what happens after Humanity creates its utopia.
Kingdom Come also has an authoritarian Superman done well. Where he basically retires during the edgy 90's/lives in solitude let's the world go to poo poo for a decade or so and then when he's convinced to come back says "gently caress it, if you can't run this place I will."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Coolness Averted posted:

Because it's a lovely alternate reality tie-in to a Mortal Kombat videogame. No one protests Lex Luthor stealing 40 cakes either.
But yeah if some of the utterly terrible injustice comic stuff was official no one would buy DC. More so.
Like Damian kills Nightwing accidentally by throwing something at him in an argument, causing Nightwing to have a slip and fall, breaking his neck. At least I think it was Damian, if it was another Robin it's even more dumb.
Also a ton of Injustice comics were penciled by the guy who did this:

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
If captain america was jewish would he be able to summon golems??

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
He'd be a bear of a man.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Marvel making Cap into a Nazi makes me so glad I stopped reading comic books.

If I ever get the temptation to read comics again, all I need to think of is Nazi Cap and be like "nah, on second thought I'm good, no thanks"

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
They're just loving stories I don't need Richard Feynman fanfic to help me reconcile the ones where Captain America has a dog dick and the ones where Bucky has the dog dick instead

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Halloween Jack posted:

I think that guy was also into some kinda power water MLM scam.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

That's how bones work, they are pretty much all the same for a species.

It's like how we have a ton of human fossils but the bone structure is all the same.

What the gently caress is the guys argument

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I think that guy was also into some kinda power water MLM scam.

Evolv is a NUTRACEUTICAL BEVERAGE. :mad: :eng99:

Fried Watermelon posted:

What the gently caress is the guys argument
I think that we have lots of fossils, but they're all from a known set of discrete species, and don't actually show evolution from one species into another over time.

Which is totally wrong

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Halloween Jack posted:

That comic strip makes zero sense, I can't even tell what the heck his argument is even supposed to be

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Superman wasn't, as a character, specifically created to bash on Nazis though.

:shrug:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
During free comic day there was a free comic where hydra America lifted Thor's hammer, people are taking that to mean that Marvel supports Nazis as heros and some even uploaded pictures of them getting a free comic and burning a free comic in their bathtubs that they wrote "gently caress WHITE SUPREMACY" on

The Landstander
Apr 20, 2004

I stand on land.
I don't care about the comic but lol at the literal book burning

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I guess it's because it's an "alternate universe" and "doesn't count". And he's just a generic evil dictator and not a literal Nazi with swastikas who wants to kill the Jews.

Also people only seem to remember Hitler and the Nazis and forget that other tyrannical, genocidal dictators are also really terrible. Adolf Hitler was such an enormous shithead that people seem to forget about Stalin, Mao, Pol Pot, Saddam Hussein and other evil dictators throughout history. It's good that people know that Nazis are the scum of the earth, but it's bad that Communists aren't treated the same way and you have dopes like Justin Trudeau praising Fidel Castro.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

a bunch of dumb poo poo happened and now cap is the leader of hydra and has taken over america as the head of a literal fascist state, explaining literally anything more than that depresses me because of how bad it is

So Captain America is basically donald trump?

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I dont read comic books because I'm not a nerd loser but when I read about this on buzzfeed I sprang into action and now care deeply about it

spank my snatch
Jun 4, 2009

Whoa outrage junkies find some laughably trivial bullshit to be outraged about I am loving shocked to my core

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

The Landstander posted:

I don't care about the comic but lol at the literal book burning

Didn't get the connotation until you pointed it out. That comic's probably going to become a collector's item with so many destroyed.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

a bunch of dumb poo poo happened and now cap is the leader of hydra and has taken over america as the head of a literal fascist state, explaining literally anything more than that depresses me because of how bad it is

Isn't he corrupted by some external influence or something? It's a loving comic so of course he is.

I find it hilarious how a story line of "good guy ends up bad in this reality" has people losing their poo poo in the OP link about SJWs though. Like.. what? I find them obnoxious but I don't think they were demanding Captain nazi

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speedboat Jones
Dec 28, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's because when Sam Wilson was Captain America all the nerds were all butthurt and poo poo like "Captain America can only be WHITE, ok?!" So Marvel was like "lol ok he's white again but now he's a nazi, enjoy."

• Locked thread