Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
https://heatst.com/entertainment/comic-fans-boycott-marvels-secret-empire-because-captain-america-joins-the-nazis/

Marvel will never get another cent out of me! But I can't wait for the new Guardians of the Galaxy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

*whispers*

hail hydra

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
It's about ethics in video game journalism.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Someone explain this to me

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

a bunch of dumb poo poo happened and now cap is the leader of hydra and has taken over america as the head of a literal fascist state, explaining literally anything more than that depresses me because of how bad it is

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Captain Vietnam beat up Captain America a little while ago and Steve got real pissy.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Like a cosmic macguffin is used to rewrite history twice in eighteen issues to explain this poo poo that's how bad it is

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I'm confused

come again?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord
I'm protesting Marvel movies until they adapt Captain America: Man and Wolf into a movie.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I'm confused

come again?

The red skull rewrote history to make Cap always be part of Hydra using the cosmic cube

Part of the cube rewriting history is that now the allies actually lost ww2 but used the cube themselves to rewrite history so they won

Cap is immune to this because *farts*

Cap then deposed the red skull as leader of Hydra and now has taken over America

Comics

Gazpacho
Jun 18, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Slippery Tilde
fewer people buying a comic book is a good outcome imo

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Gazpacho posted:

fewer people buying a comic book is a good outcome imo

There are many good comics

None of them have Nick Spencer credited as writer

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
I mean I guess thief of thieves is okay and he's got a credit on the first six issues of that but those issues were bad so

Grant DaNasty
Jul 17, 2006

Comic book writers hate America. First they made Superman renounce his US citizenship, and now they made Captain America a Nazi.

:911:

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Last year they revealed that Captain America's identity was altered so that he's now secretly a H.Y.D.R.A. sleeper agent agent (and H.Y.D.R.A. are sometimes Nazis, depending on the story). And now they're doing a big series where H.Y.D.R.A. takes over the world. And whiny nerds are claiming that it's antisemitic and that they're boycotting the whole thing and Marvel is horrible and this ruins everything forever, blah blah blah

It's actually really well-written and interesting, but the whiny bitch-babies that complain about everything have really outdone themselves with this one.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
you will never convince me that nick spencer wrote a good story

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Friginator posted:

Last year they revealed that Captain America's identity was altered so that he's now secretly a H.Y.D.R.A. sleeper agent agent (and H.Y.D.R.A. are sometimes Nazis, depending on the story). And now they're doing a big series where H.Y.D.R.A. takes over the world. And whiny nerds are claiming that it's antisemitic and that they're boycotting the whole thing and Marvel is horrible and this ruins everything forever, blah blah blah

It's actually really well-written and interesting, but the whiny bitch-babies that complain about everything have really outdone themselves with this one.

Lmao no it's fuckin not it's the same garbage wheels within wheels Hickman wannabe poo poo he's always done except worse

Power Windows
Dec 29, 2004

Brasky used to ride upon a steed, perchance to spy a lady.

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Comics are an industry in which stagnation is met with creatively (and sometimes morally) bankrupt gimmickry.

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Lmao no it's fuckin not it's the same garbage wheels within wheels Hickman wannabe poo poo he's always done except worse

Well, okay then. You sure showed me, person on the internet!

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I've only seen the first Captain America on tv. Is this cosmic cube the glowing blue thing?

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

I've only seen the first Captain America on tv. Is this cosmic cube the glowing blue thing?

No, but that was made to look like a cosmic cube as a nod to the comics.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Friginator posted:

Well, okay then. You sure showed me, person on the internet!

Seriously everything I've ever read by him is a decent concept that he overcomplicates by making everything a conspiracy inside of a scheme with a double feint to redirect to the real conspiracy

Superior Foes should have been a silly twelve issue comedy book about C-list villains but he managed to gently caress that up with twists

Morning Glories is lost in high school

His Cap books are real bad

There's something else by him that I'm missing but I remember reading Avengers World and thinking it was a really bad rkff on Hickman

Wanting to be Hickman is understandable but it's hard to be that dude and it's frustrating watching him ignore his actual talent as a comedy dude to write mediocre books that read like a better writers drafts from a bender

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Friginator posted:

No, but that was made to look like a cosmic cube as a nod to the comics.

Wait so the comics are different from the movie then or what

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

The comedy stylings of Oxballs everyone

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY
Is it just me or is Marvel a much bigger perpetrator of the alternate timeline poo poo than DC ever was?

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Yeah, they're different. It's way over-complicated. Basically, in the movie the cube is just a shell for a gem that lets you teleport anywhere.

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost
Wolverine would merk his rear end

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

phasmid posted:

Is it just me or is Marvel a much bigger perpetrator of the alternate timeline poo poo than DC ever was?

Oh God no dc literally invented the concept of alternate universes and marvels big thing a couple years ago was consolidating their main line and the floundering ultimate line so that they all took place in one universe, and there was never any confusion about how the two overlapped before that

DC on the other hand is back to having 52 alternate earths after their third(?) Hard reset of continuity

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I trust the Captain's judgement.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Anyway while I don't personally think secret empire is anti-Semitic I think that any argument to that effect is splitting the same hair as Richard Spencer when he says he's not a nazi

Spunky Psycho Ho
Jan 26, 2007

by zen death robot

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Friginator posted:

Yeah, they're different. It's way over-complicated. Basically, in the movie the cube is just a shell for a gem that lets you teleport anywhere.

Wait if it teleports people then how are they turning it into glowy blue guns and stuff?

Are all those guys they disintegrated actually teleported into space or something

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

This is a comics thread about lovely comics so after watching Dr. Strange I got to wondering about where Galactus came from and looked at some of his wiki page and Stan Lee's admission that he created the guy to make sales increases basically sums up Marvel Comics.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lil Peeler posted:

This is a comics thread about lovely comics so after watching Dr. Strange I got to wondering about where Galactus came from and looked at some of his wiki page and Stan Lee's admission that he created the guy to make sales increases basically sums up Marvel Comics.

Superhero comics in general tbh, the entire genre has been like that since about a week after Superman debuted and judging anyone for it at this point is silly because everyone is just as bad

Now if you want to judge him for inventing the multiple issue storyline you can totally do that no hard feelings

Friginator
May 13, 2014

by zen death robot
Isn't everything in comics to increase sales?

Mr. Merdle
Oct 17, 2007

THE GREAT MANBABY SUCCESSOR

Friginator posted:

Isn't everything in comics to increase sales?

yes so it's bad to pretend that there's any artistic merit in them

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
that is true of all published fiction. "oh no, these lowly comics hacks want their work to be popular and successful. how disgusting!"

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Lil Peeler posted:

yes so it's bad to pretend that there's any artistic merit in them

Lmao at this guy who doesn't get that the history of srt revolves around hoping you'll make some money and not die hungry

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

Wait if it teleports people then how are they turning it into glowy blue guns and stuff?

Are all those guys they disintegrated actually teleported into space or something

It teleports all their individual atoms in separate directions.

Probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
punched so many nazis he turned into one

hot drat

• Locked thread