Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

I'm voting Hunter and to doubt this weirdo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
Gotta vote the Titan. Sure, the Dragon is kabuto as heck, but I really am not feeling this Roman helmet styled thing Hunter's got going. That, and I'm a bloody contrarian.
With a better sense for aesthetics, apparently :colbert:

Voting the Fᴏʀ ꜰʀᴇᴇ?! option too because I like to see what you come up with for all that money.

Also speaking of aesthetics, do we get to see the mecha introduction scenes again in later episodes? Or was the parts sliding in before action pose a one-time-only thing for this game?

AzraelNewtype posted:

VR Troopers is the other Metal Hero adaptation you were looking for. It's... sort of a Frankensteined mess on a level that's pretty impressive, as it combines characters from three different shows. Sure, Power Rangers season 3 is sort of in that kind of territory, but much less so.

Three shows? And here I thought Beetleborgs was weird in its reinterpretation when it moved across the pond from Japan.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Dinictus posted:

Also speaking of aesthetics, do we get to see the mecha introduction scenes again in later episodes? Or was the parts sliding in before action pose a one-time-only thing for this game?

Unfortunately it is a one time thing. I guess as much to ensure it lines up with what your parts are, just like the initial transformation cutscene is the bottom tier cardboard freebies.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
The funniest joke I saw on Beetleborgs was an episode where they were being chased around by the headless horseman. At one point cornered, that ghost Flabber suddenly points and yells "LOOK! It's Marie Antionette!" HH is distracted, and just before they run off, Flabber looks at the screen and says "Don't worry kids, you'll get that one in a few years!" One of the few times watching that show I honestly laughed.

One of the things I really liked in later seasons of Power Rangers was having a blooper reel during the end credits, one of my favorites being Bulk and Skull in their policeman phase telling their seargant "Don't worry sir we'll..uh..do everything the script tells us to!" He solemnly nods, turns around, and loses it.

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Dinictus posted:

Three shows? And here I thought Beetleborgs was weird in its reinterpretation when it moved across the pond from Japan.

Beetleborgs is downright pedestrian by comparison. It used one show for its first season and its sequel for the second. Playing with the non-suited fiction is just par for the course.

VR Troopers mashed up Metalder and Spielban in season 1, then threw out Metalder for Shaider in season 2. Villains came from all three, and therefore could only interact via editing. Same with the guy from two shows and his partners from the third. I'm honestly not sure what the point of this was. It did let them use decade old footage though, which is the biggest difference between Japanese airing and adaptation of any of these.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.

Neige posted:

It's been a while but i think there's a (smaller) reward if you choose plastic over cardboard. In any case, just because you paid for cardboard doesn't mean they'll mail it in a relevant time frame. You might only get it in season 3, if not later!

I thought as much but since Cardboard is always useful, I stick to that choice as the default better one.

Also, I love how y'all fill in with more information than I ever knew about some of these shows. Even though I plan on highlighting a few of them in later 'Let's Talk Toku' sections.

Throwing this out there, but if I get the chance to do so, who would find bonus videos talking about different skill build-actor combinations interesting? I plan on talking about it in terms of posts given the earlier request but if there's interest enough to do it as a video I may kick it up a notch.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
Yeah, skill builds/game mechanics are pretty much why I subscribe to Let's Plays to begin with. They're not all equal, and they're mostly dependant on what gear is offered to you. I've noticed that +Skill Regen is no longer a possible Random Property you can obtain on craftables (something quite important later on), so it encourages different builds if you want the best value for your top tier equipment.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Doubt the sender.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

(X) Doubt

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

:siren: Bonus Update! :siren:

Know Your Role #1: Techie

Decided to respond to the request about skill combinations and actor-role combinations as a video rather than a post, and I was surprised at how much I actually had to say on the matter! We're starting with the Techie, since that role has 3 very clear build paths in terms of skill choices, though any build path is a recommendation. Your needs, and your crafted gear, may force you to alter your builds on the fly to respond to what crops up.

Quality may be a touch worse than normal, but in trying to record this episode, I've learned what I'll need to adjust in future Know Your Role episodes in order to account for the different needs. I'm trying to keep some sort of professional standard for y'all. Call it growing pains!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
No, no, you're supposed to go down into the abandoned quarry! Or were they shooting another, more successful sentai show there and we just decided to make the best of it?

Halser
Aug 24, 2016

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

:siren: Bonus Update! :siren:

Know Your Role #1: Techie

Decided to respond to the request about skill combinations and actor-role combinations as a video rather than a post, and I was surprised at how much I actually had to say on the matter! We're starting with the Techie, since that role has 3 very clear build paths in terms of skill choices, though any build path is a recommendation. Your needs, and your crafted gear, may force you to alter your builds on the fly to respond to what crops up.

Quality may be a touch worse than normal, but in trying to record this episode, I've learned what I'll need to adjust in future Know Your Role episodes in order to account for the different needs. I'm trying to keep some sort of professional standard for y'all. Call it growing pains!

My Techie build is generally Find Weakness -> Teleport -> Time Sink -> Skill Regen -> SWAT Mode, stacking skill regen.

The reason for this is that Time Sink is disgustingly good and it stacks. Stacking it is usually hard, but then you remember that the Techie's unique ability makes him gain skill regen when he uses a skill. Find Weakness, Teleport and SWAT Mode are all Free Actions, so you can just use it every turn just to refresh your other skills. If you juggle their usage correctly, you can end up using Time Sink every turn, unless you get greedy and use SWAT Mode twice in a row. It's hilarious seeing enemies with 1 movement range and -75% damage. You can also use SWAT Mode three turns in a row, which makes his damage absurd... for one turn. This also works well if you want to stack Find Weakness to obliterate tanky enemies. Also goes well with Leaders using Taunt, since any damage he might take will be severely reduced, and Taunt means you can use Alien for your Techie with much less risk.

Neige
Mar 20, 2006

Pregnant Woman got pepper sprayed and kicked in the stomach? That ugly bitch was asking for it.
"Gain Skill Regen when you use any Skill (once per turn)"

This is the class ability of the Techie, and understanding what it means is key for breaking the game with his abilities. It means that if you start Techie's turn with a Free Skill (a skill that doesn't end the turn), he gains double Skill Regen every turn. If the Techie's Skill Regen is half or greater than that of his weapon's Cooldown Cost, then he's shooting every turn. Halser's technique of using a certain technique every turn also works, but you need Skill Regen that is half the cost of the ability's Cooldown Cost, which in this instance means that you start at 90.

I'll admit that I haven't seen much evidence that abilities "stack". We haven't seen "Find Weakness" in action yet but it's a Season 1 Free Skill you'll use it every 2nd turn to gain Skill Regen and shoot every turn. This means you double up on weakness debuffs every 2nd turn, assuming the same enemy is the target of Find Weakness.

Critical stat is pretty important for a Techie, especially so for a Techie who finds himself shooting every turn. You can crit a weapon attack! Dodge is far less important a stat as a Techie has no business getting hit by melee. Counter is trash because you can only counter melee attacks.

You end saying that a Minion Killer build does not want to use rifles, presumably because Multi-Shot says it only works with pistols. This isn't true: you can use Multi-Shot with rifles as well! However, Wesley Stripes pistol bonus only works with pistols as far as I can tell. Does his added pistol damage really stack with Multi-Shot, which is only a Skill that requires a pistol (or rifle) to work? In any case, you encounter enemy healers halfway through so skills that damage a bunch of minions aren't as good as skills/attacks that one shot minions. I haven't used Multi-Shot since.

You forgot to talk about Alert Johanssen as a Techie candidate, because she was already your assist! She does either class real well with her built-in Skill Regen bonus.

Find Weakness, Sniper Cat, Weapon Expertise and SWAT Mode are my main loadout. Cool Invention and Energy Reserves are give or take, but I lean towards Cool Invention because poo poo can always happen and a secondary healer prevents team wipes. Rifles have a Cooldown Cost of 144 so I always bring at least 72 points of Skill Regen, even if that means using lower tier equipment. Turns go Shoot, Find Weakness & Shoot, SWAT & Shoot and so forth. I might try a Halser build but that'd mean using Time Sink every turn, which has to be boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Well, I figured there would be some very contentious opinions of mine. So let's go through the list!

Neige posted:

Critical stat is pretty important for a Techie, especially so for a Techie who finds himself shooting every turn. You can crit a weapon attack! Dodge is far less important a stat as a Techie has no business getting hit by melee. Counter is trash because you can only counter melee attacks.

But it comes guaranteed in a large way on Techie weapons already. So I don't find it a stat to prioritize outside of the guaranteed slots the Techie will already have. Besides, gearing with the random nature is always a set of balances, and there's more than one fast moving minion in the game. Not to mention bosses that have their own pulls. We are agreed that Counter is relatively trash on a Techie but a decent amount of Dodge is always worth it when you have the choice and have the gear to spare. I admit, if partly because of how weapon attacks are animated, I've never noticed a Critical Weapon Attack.

Neige posted:

You end saying that a Minion Killer build does not want to use rifles, presumably because Multi-Shot says it only works with pistols. This isn't true: you can use Multi-Shot with rifles as well! However, Wesley Stripes pistol bonus only works with pistols as far as I can tell. Does his added pistol damage really stack with Multi-Shot, which is only a Skill that requires a pistol (or rifle) to work? In any case, you encounter enemy healers halfway through so skills that damage a bunch of minions aren't as good as skills/attacks that one shot minions. I haven't used Multi-Shot since.

I've already been using Multi-shot with rifles in the main LP, but its a question of stat distribution and more importantly positioning. Always positioning at maximum range with a Rifle really waters down Multi-Shot since you aren't in the thick of things. I do want to go test and ensure Stripes' Pistol Bonus works with Multi-Shot but its still a strong synergistic relationship for when he is putting damage on tanks or bosses with team attacks. More importantly, Multi-Shot works exceptionally well as a combination across the team with Squarehouse Kick, capitalizing on a proc of It's Cleave Time, and mopping up in Season 5 or later after the Assist flips the script and turns into an Offensive powerhouse or your Scout has set themselves up as bait and dodged all the basics with free auto-Counters afterwards. It has its purpose on the team. AND there are several occasions when you just need to Hit a thing to Eliminate a danger, and the skill happy Techie makes that easier as well. One of the weaknesses of going with Role specific deep dives is not intending to mention cross-class combinations until I am done. That's a whole separate video planned, since ideally, I record specific showcases of those combos. (Lord help me, I don't think I'll have the time to do so, but we'll see.)

Besides, the Healer minions are just sacks of HP without any offensive minions around. Take out all the Nutcrackers, Breadcrumblers, and the other...two OTOH?...types and then its just the Boss. And the Boss threat can be mitigated while you sweep up the Healers, or alternatively depending on your damage output and team builds, ignored for a 2 round take-down effort of said boss in certain scenarios. They are also Cowardly like Breadcrumblers, and sometimes run away to the point where they cannot heal the Boss.

Neige posted:

You forgot to talk about Alert Johanssen as a Techie candidate, because she was already your assist! She does either class real well with her built-in Skill Regen bonus.

I don't feature any Actor who is more of a top tier candidate in another role. Granted, these are all my *opinions* mind you. As said in the video, your mileage may vary, and these are just synergistic recommendations.

• Locked thread