Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Even Death laughs when the nukes begin to rain.
Building Mecha Out Of Cardboard! Let's Play Chroma Squad!

Latest Update: July 30th! S2E3For the Horde! or "From Gavel to Gravel..." (Link to Post)
Bonus Update: August 3rd! Know Your Role #1: Techie

:siren: Active Thread Participation Opportunities :siren:
  • Customize an Episode! Ongoing opportunity. Check this post for details.
  • Choose Your Content! Thread vote, check This Post for details! Vote ends August 4th!
  • Choose Your Look! - Our Mecha needs a head...check This Post for details!
  • Poker Faced Reply! - An email that can force a thread-spawned challenge...check This Post for details! Vote ends August 4th

Chroma Squad hit the scenes just over two years ago in 2015, billing itself as a tactical RPG with truckloads of Super Sentai flavor. The game's initial kickstarter exploded in fan support, but also drew the attention of Saban Entertainment. You know, the guys who own the IP behind Power Rangers, particularly the Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers series itself. There had been plenty of fear that legal issues would sink the game before it could be released. Thankfully, though, both Behold Studios and Saban Entertainment reached agreements that, while influential on the final product's design choices, did allow the game to be released to its hype. While I wouldn't go so far as to say Chroma Squad is a massive hit, the game is fun and its flavor is one of the strongest aspects supporting it.

So what's the game actually like?

Chroma Squad plays out in a mission based format disguised as in-game Episodes, with major arcs and character progression staged as Seasons. The actual tactical gameplay comes in the form of a round-based combat system. Anyone familiar with grid style movement a'la Shining Force or Fire Emblem will recognize the presentation, though it is on an isometric viewpoint. Your entire team will get a chance to use up to two actions per turn, then the enemy will get their phase. Its a simple and robust system vetted by many other games, and I'll cover the unique aspects for Chroma Squad within the videos themselves. It also boasts a bit of a strategic level of decision making, as the studio itself can be upgraded alongside updating the equipment for your chosen cast of characters.

Feed me more Sentai, Sempai!

Sure can! Since this LP will be done in video format, I'll be aiming to release a new video roughly once a week give or take. Working two jobs makes the occasional delay likely, but I will try my best nonetheless. Each video will cover a single in-game episode for plot, and probably will run about twenty minutes or less for most of the game, with the obvious exception of Season Finales. Bigger means better, right? Outside of introducing strategic elements, I'll keep most of the busywork of studio management off-video unless there are requests otherwise. Update posts will still include what upgrades and marketing decisions get made, however, so you won't be in the dark on what gear gets changed and who our current sponsor/partner happens to be.

Well, I watched a fan subbed copy, and THIS happens in the next episode...

Please don't spoil the story. Its one of the strongest points of this game's charm, but spoiling what big plot points there are can ruin that for everyone.

Henshin! Henshin! I wanna Henshin!

There's plenty of avenues for thread participation straight from the start! While I have borrowed a team of labrats volunteers from the Fail Pile to create an initial squad, I will be taking submissions for characters for a thread-based squad to use from Season 2 onwards. Once we lock those in, however, that'll be that. Squads are set at the start of a play through, after all, and therefore not something I can change on the fly. Its an immersion thing. To make up for that, however, there's a whole host of text-based customization to make! Depending on how many submissions are made for items such as squad name and activation phrases, these will get voted on and rotate with each season. Guidelines for submission will be within the first update's post, just to keep the OP a touch less cluttered, so keep on the lookout!

Table of Contents
Season 1
Season 1 Debut! or "I'ma take my ball and play on my own." (Post is directly below!)
S1E2: A Wulcan Story or "Wangtron's Family Tree" (Link to Post)
S1E3: Barrel & Roll or "Screw These Costumes!" (Link to Post)
S1E4: Fatty Alien or "Embracing Obesity" (Link to Post)
S1 Finale: Get Him! or "How to Break Traffic Laws with Police Brutality" (Link to Post)

Season 2
S2E1: Just in Time! or "You are LATE to the set! Cut! CUT! DIRECTOR'S CUT!" (Link to Post)
S2E2: Real Evil or "The Devil of Knockback" (Link to Post)
S2E3: For the Horde! or "From Gavel to Gravel..." (Link to Post)

Extras
Forum resident Arkanumzilong brings us some Brazilian perspective on Saban, Sentai, and the legal meddling impact on Chroma Squad.
Bonus Episode #1: The New Squad Showcase Special! or "Transitmancer: Once a Chump, Always a Chump! (Link to Post)
Bonus Episode #2: Know Your Role #1: Techie

Ronin Of Dreams fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Aug 4, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Season 1 Debut! or "I'ma take my ball and play on my own."

We're kicking off strong with the first update, combining both the tutorial section as well as the first proper episode within the game's first season. In a nod to studio production design, dividing up each phase of the game into Seasons is a pretty apt and nice touch. In the video I give a quick preview of our poor schmucks gracious volunteers and their Season 1 skill load-outs between the story tutorial and the episode proper. There's also a bit of Shopping to be done, but I will likely cut out most of the Studio sections from the videos after all the mechanics are introduced. Don't worry though, once we get that far I will be summarizing any significant changes and developments in future update posts.

Let's take a closer look at the episode preview screen (click to enlarge):

The game actually gives us a fair bit of information up front for each episode that we can record. Granted, Episode 1 is still Introduction Territory, so we cannot skip around to pick and choose how we record the bulk of each season quite yet, thus the 1/1 in the upper right corner. The Max Audience value can also be useful later on, when we have better options to manipulate Audience Gain. For now, 2800 is actually a hard value to reach without fulfilling the Director Instructions. More importantly, we get a preview of those Instructions as well as seeing how many 'scenes' worth of instructions the episode is going to contain. Future episodes have some very specific tasks where it may benefit the player to rearrange their gear and skills a bit in order to more easily accomplish the tasks! Also, though the game doesn't really say so beforehand, each normal Scene Transition will fully heal your characters and reset skill cooldowns. So don't be scared to take a risk to finish out a Scene as it usually won't penalize you with missing resources later!

Lastly, we also get a nifty preview of the Boss Monster this time around. Sometimes we'll know who we are going to be after here, but most episodes we will be given a silhouette effect instead. As for this particular boss, Boxing Box is a fun intro to the boss monster mechanics with very little overall threat. Just enough to satisfy being a boss, without just relying on a metric mountain of HP. Fighting the Boxing Box is fairly easy, the only frustrating thing he might do is delay a Finishing Move if you are trying to perform every Director's Instruction. Otherwise, since he can't dodge, the only other fear is getting hit by a Counter if you are somehow low on HP. For more detailed stats on Boxing Box and the Weak Nutcrackers, check out the breakdown at the end of the post.

Henshin Opportunities!

Opening up the thread to as much participation as possible was one of my goals, and the squad itself is the biggest piece of set customization in the game. The Actor + Role combination is set up as the very first non-tutorial thing you do in each playthough. While I don't mind using the folks from the Fail Pile, it was a bit of an on-the-fly recruitment. So! If you would like to submit your own characters for use from Season 2 onwards, here's your chance! Simply add a Character Submission as part of your post containing the following information:
  • Character Name
  • Actor Choice (A list can be found here )
  • Preferred Role & Color
  • Secondary Role & Color
  • (Optional) Any themes or equipment requests
  • (Optional) Backstory of how your character would have been chosen in the "un-aired" Origin Episode

I will take character submissions up until the Season 1 Finale, so you have some time to think it over and be creative. Theme requests will be adhered to whenever possible, such as "keeps to swords", but do keep your Role in mind if you are making weapon requests. Backstories may serve the role as tiebreakers, but we may wind up having an in-thread vote if there's enough submissions rather than my choosing among the field. We shall see when we get close to the deadline. This won't be the sole means of participation, but given the rigidity in which the game doesn't allow firing and hiring mid-playthrough, this is both your opportunity to be as creative as possible and make a truly lasting impact on this Let's Play.

pre:
New Baddies Breakdown

Code Name:       Boxing Box
Secret Identity: Ken    
Type:            Boss
Life:            400 HP
Attacks:         Punch - 28-35 damage
                 Stunning Blow (Passive) - moderate chance to stun on hit
Counter Rate:    35%
Dodge Rate:      0%
Threat Level:    Putty

Code Name:       Weak Nutcracker
Secret Identity: Any Extra We Can Get
Type:            Grunt
Life:            80 HP
Attacks:         Punch - 24-31 damage
Counter Rate:    15%
Dodge Rate:      10%
Threat Level:    Putty

Ronin Of Dreams fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 15, 2017

inflatablefish
Oct 24, 2010
This looks fun.

Character Name: Flatpak
Actor: Evan Tyson
Preferred role: Assault, brown
Secondary role: Scout, black
Equipment: Focus on fists rather than weapons wherever possible.
Backstory: Raised by monks in the hidden temple of I-Kea, the mystical "Way of the Padded Fist", Flatpak has journeyed to offer his skills to the Chroma Squad in their noble battle... but his past contains a terrible secret! His half-brother is the Boxing Box, who was also a master of I-Kea before he turned to the ways of evil! Flatpak has sworn to set right the balance and atone for his brother's evil... but will he find himself drawn to the same dark path? (dun dun duuuuun!)

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I like how Cerebro's even got its own text box style to emphasize the looks.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
This game really really needed an expansion pack/sidequests, but I still love it. Anyway, you were hiring actors.

Character: Ryuko
Actress: Mao Shinmei
Preferred: Assault (Red)
Secondary: Scout (Green)
Fighting Style: Prefers to use Teamwork attacks whenever possible.
Origin Episode: ....Actually, Ryuko wasn't supposed to be a member of the Chroma Squad at all. Her car broke down on the way to an audition for a magical girls show; when she saw the Squad fighting the Boxing Box, she decided she just had to rush in and help kick its rear end.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
Dr. "Soap"? When did that happen? The last time I played, he was still called Dr. Mi Ah. You know, as in the reverse of Haim, as in Haim Saban, founder of Saban. Chroma Squad was already frozen out for a bit after its Kickstarter succeeded while they and Saban came to an agreement about including "Inspired by Saban's Power Rangers" in the title, but after the game came out, Saban must not have liked the portrayal of Dr. Mi Ah, because they went on the attack again and prevented Chroma Squad from being sold in many Asian countries. (I... think this is how it went down. It's been a while now, and I can't remember if there were any specific sources to this.) I suppose this name change was part of appeasing Saban yet again.

Anyways, you did Episode 1, which is further than the last LP here got, so good job. I'm horribly uncreative when it comes to characters and ran through the game with the default colors and not changing the actors' names because I'm boring, so I'm not going to try and force some terrible creation into your squad. Looking forward to the rest of the LP.

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013
Posting one of the original cast:

Character: Shiny
Actress: Mr. Beaver
Preferred: Techie (Red, if available, else white)
Secondary: Leader (Same colour scheme... because CANADA!)
Fighting Style: Shiny the Beaver is all about the team. He wants to get his squad mates nice stuff... cause he's all about being a nice guy.
Origin Episode: Shiny the Beaver escaped from Canada with a forged passport, trying to avoid the fur conscripts of the Hudson Bay Company. He stumbled upon the team while they were in dire straits, and picked up a discarded weapon, proceeding to attack with the traditional gun/tail beaver martial art. Afterwords, he ate the gun, as he realized it was made out of wood, and is presently trying to repay the squad for the loss.

(I did not realize I named him Shiny Beaver until after I gave Ronin the name. >.<)

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Character Name: Mr. E
Actor Choice: Antitonic
Preferred Role & Color: Scout - Green
Secondary Role & Color: Assist - Black
(Optional) Any themes or equipment requests: Prefers weapons that can be concealed (even though this has no effect in-game). Tries too hard to be an unknown in the team.
(Optional) Backstory of how your character would have been chosen in the "un-aired" Origin Episode: Nobody has ever seen Mr. E's face, except those who have... when it wasn't bandaged/masked. He spent several months with a bandaged face because *audible dice roll* wait that's not a high enough roll. *Re-rolls heard* An enraged co-worker attacked him with a box-cutter because the store was out of Nutella. Months later, while on his way back home from the dentist, he spotted the Chroma Squad fighting a giant X-Acto knife and knew he had a higher calling, to prevent others from being cut by sharp objects.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Dr. "Soap"? When did that happen? The last time I played, he was still called Dr. Mi Ah. You know, as in the reverse of Haim, as in Haim Saban, founder of Saban. Chroma Squad was already frozen out for a bit after its Kickstarter succeeded while they and Saban came to an agreement about including "Inspired by Saban's Power Rangers" in the title, but after the game came out, Saban must not have liked the portrayal of Dr. Mi Ah, because they went on the attack again and prevented Chroma Squad from being sold in many Asian countries. (I... think this is how it went down. It's been a while now, and I can't remember if there were any specific sources to this.) I suppose this name change was part of appeasing Saban yet again.

That wasn't the only name that got stealth patched since release either, though thank you for bringing that choice tidbit to the thread. I hadn't even known about that one, but most of those changes since release aren't explicitly documented either. Probably related to the reason they were patched I suppose. For instance, even though the Wiki still has it as "Evan Tyson", and despite parody protections, the actor name in-game is actually Evan Thai now.

Still one heck of a strong character though. Going to be recording RAW tomorrow, process commentary and mixing Wed, and try to post S1E2 on Thursday. More introductory stuff, but I'm trying to keep to a schedule given two jobs.

Talow
Dec 26, 2012

Yeah, it's one of the original cast.

Character Name: Talow
Actor Choice: J Blues
Preferred Role & Color: Assist - Orange
Secondary Role & Color: Scout - Purple
Backstory: Was originally going to be an extra till the director got called last minute by one of the actors notifying him that said actor was getting paid more to star in Yakuza. With minutes left before the shoot, he just went through extras till he found one that fit the original costume.

(I am bad at coming up with stuff, but eh, felt like at least trying.)

Talow fucked around with this message at 04:20 on May 16, 2017

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
Mainly I just hope whoever gets slotted as the techie goes full pistols for life and throws rifles in the garbage for cowards who hate shooting as many things as possible :v:

Maybe if I stop being such a creative failure I'll throw my hat in the ring for that, but it's hard to top the draw of beavers with guns (Weasly, I will always love you).

I am also super glad that you at least are able to edit the team catch phrases on demand. So while eventually characters will be locked in, at least there is that potential a rolling set of embarrassing finishing maneuvers brings.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 05:27 on May 16, 2017

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Character Name:Bender
Actor Choice:Asimobot
Preferred Role & Color:Scout-Light Blue
Secondary Role and Color: Leader-Yellow
Theme: He's a jackass who refuses to be a team player unless pressed and is only out for his own gain.
Backstory:After an explosive mishap resulting in the destruction of studio property, he got contracted to both replace the actor he hospitalized and to cover his company's debt as a result of said explosion. His attitude makes him difficult to work with, especially since he tries to steal anything that looks remotely expensive. Whenever agitated he commands his opponent to "bite his shiny metal rear end". Copious amounts of alcohol makes him more cooperative.

VolticSurge fucked around with this message at 02:29 on May 26, 2017

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013

VolticSurge posted:

Character Name:Bender
Actor Choice:Asimobot
Preferred Role & Color:Scout-Silver
Secondary Role and Color: Leader-Gold
Theme: He's a jackass who refuses to be a team player unless pressed and is only out for his own gain.
Backstory:After an explosive mishap resulting in the destruction of studio property,he got contracted to both replace the actor he hospitalized and to cover his company's debt as a result of said explosion. His attitude makes him difficult to work with,especially since he tries to steal anything that looks remotely expensive Whenever agitated he commands his opponent to "bite his shiny metal rear end" . Copious amounts of alcohol makes him more cooperative.

I see a theme emerging... who wants to make a sentai team based around being in debt?

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

Character name: Slab Bulkhead
Actor Choice: Von Andy
Preferred Role: Assault
Secondary Role: Assist
Preferred Color: White
Secondary Color: Grey
Backstory: A well-meaning jock who was originally hired as a personal trainer for the stuntmen, but proved good-looking enough to serve as a primary cast member. When not acting, he can be found either working out, helping other people work out, or preparing for his next work out session. Nobody remembers his actual name (Dave Brown), so he usually gets referred to by nickname.

Mikedawson fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 17, 2017

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

Oblivion4568238 posted:

drat shame but I guess they really wanted to cover their asses and I'm kind of surprised the Kickstarter got the product out as it is. Anyway, this looks like an interesting love letter to sentai series as it is, but I'm honestly wondering how expansive the combat options will get over time. And the posing is amazing. Keep on posing, Squad.

Character Name: Stuntman
Actor: Antitonic preferred, otherwise J Blues
Preferred role: Scout, Yellow
Secondary role: Techie, White
Theme: A guy that insists on doing his own stunts, hardcore, all the time. Broken leg? Arm in a cast? He can probably hide it in a bulky enough motorist/sentai suit. So let him do his stunts if others offer to do Teamwork!
Backstory: Raised by a single mom and a lifetime of British television show Top Gear, the impressionable youth that would become Stuntman styled his life towards all things speedy and all things with engines. When he wasn't claiming (and getting beaten down for those claims) that his dad was The Stig, he'd be driving bikes and later on motorcycles in elaborate stunts, and mostly failing them spectacularly. Incidentally, this is also how he rolled into the Chroma Squad outfit - a motor stunt gone awry, injuring a mook in the process, and Stuntman just getting back on his feet with a striking a nonchalant arms-over-one-another posture while his helmet obscured any of his features. To this day, we still don't know if Stuntman is having his face in a rictus mask of pain or is absolutely enjoying this poo poo.

vdate
Oct 25, 2010
Character Name: Chris Salid
Actor Choice: Alien
Preferred Role: Techie
Secondary Role: Assault
Preferred Colour: Purple
Preferred Colour: Slate Blue (or best approximation)
Backstory: Surely Chroma Squad recruit Chris Salid is a perfectly normal stuntman! In no way has he been recently discharged from the XCOM project, and in no way was he seeded into said project for use as a sleeper agent! That would be silly! Please find attached a picture.

[timg]http://i.imgur.com/ifgOPi0.jpg[[/timg]

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Here's a fun fact: If you backed the Chroma Squad Kickstarter, you got exclusive DLC that not only shows that you backed the game on the title screen, but offers an alternate start where your Rangers actually start their own Kickstarter to fund their studio, which gives you an additional battle before the first proper episode as you film your pitch video, with special armor for your Red Ranger. I could record it if you want for completion's sake.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Mikedawson posted:

Character name: Slab Bulkhead
Actor Choice: Von Andy
Preferred Role: Assault
Preferred Color: White
Secondary Color: Grey
Backstory: A well-meaning jock who was originally hired as a personal trainer for the stuntmen, but proved good-looking enough to serve as a primary cast member. When not acting, he can be found either working out, helping other people work out, or preparing for his next work out session. Nobody remembers his actual name (Dave Brown), so he usually gets referred to by nickname.

Wait, isn't that Thick Hardcrust?

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Oh cool, this is finally getting LP'd again. Here's hoping it goes farther than the last one.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Character Name: Mr. Pink
Actor Choice: Evan Tyson
Preferred Role: Scout
Secondary Role: Techie
Preferred Color: Pink
Secondary Color: Other Pink
Backstory: Nobody would believe that the tough exterior of the massive boxer would be the dainty pink character. He's really a big softy even when he usually is seen punching people in the head for money. Besides, Pink is a manly color.

Ashsaber
Oct 24, 2010

Deploying Swordbreakers!
College Slice
Character Name: Ash
Actor Choice: Weasley Stripes
Prefered Role: Techie
Prefered Color: Blue
Secondary Color: White
Theme: Shoot or teamwork more often than melee. Its not cowardice, its just that he doesn't punch hard, and its easier to be a team player this way! Or so he claims.
Backstory: A massive fan of anything even vaguely involving Robots, especially the giant kind, Ash butted into the robot fight in his own cardboard robot suit, leaping between the monster and The Chroma Mech to take an attack. The homemade mech was ruined, but the fans loved the 'bit character' who was willing to sacrifice themselves for the heroes, so Ash was picked up for a later season.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
Sadly,I cant think of anything decent for a character
BUT as a 90s brazilian kid who was all but raised on sentai for most of my childhood, I can point out a bit of the background that likely led to the making of this game... and how much of a literal villain sabam is for older brazilian toku fans

You see, tokusatsu was actually a BIG thing in brazil back in the early 90s
We literally got all the brand new shows straight from japan, from super sentai and kamen rider
To lesser known ones like juspion/jaspion and jiraya(which I am probably mis-spelling as I am posting from mobile and checking the proper spelling is rather hard in this situation)
We not only had all that airing dubbed on tv, but also a lot more in VHS and such (anyone ever hear of cybercops? Anyone?)
It was downright a part of 'geek' culture for us back then, and even adults loved it

BUT, it sadly did not last; I do not know the full details as I was still too young at time and most research leads to two conflicting conclusions
But tokusatsu over here was basically killed despite its sucess
Depending on whom you ask either because of Sabam starting power rangers (and starting his copyright deadlock on the west, with a special point going to masked rider, which came into being right before the final episode of kamen rider black RX was aired, making it so that final episode was never aired or legally released over here), the main channel that started the trend and aired most having issues and going bankrupt or a mixture of the two.

Regardless of that, there is still quite a bit of toku lovers around, doing fansubs, dubs or just keeping the older dubs and shows alive online (the whole 'keep circulating the tapes thing')

It feels clear from playing chroma squad that the devs are such fans, fans specifically of sentai and old toku shows that aired back then
Or newer fans who got I to it due to the still living fanbase.

It feels like more than just a love letter to sentai, when I first played it, it downright felt like that era of brazilian tv. (Not sure, after so may updates and edits if the full feeling is still there or got tonned down)

And yet, despite that... sabam just had to butt in
He had to shove his power ranger brand in it, which honestly comes off as a much bigger offense than an outside perspective would think.

Anyways, I have rambled long enough, but I hope I got across somewhat the kind of background that likely led to the game
And please forgive the formatting, will try to edit it a bit when I get off mobile.

EDIT: fixed some spelling errors; though don't see how to trim the post down any more.

Arkanumzilong fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 17, 2017

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Arkanumzilong posted:

Sadly,I cant think of anything decent for a character
BUT as a 90s brazilian kid who was all but raised on sentai for most of my childhood, I can point out a bit of the background that likelay led to the making of this game... and how much of a literal villain sabam is for older brazilian toku fans

You see, tokusatsu was actually a BIG thing in brazil back in the early 90s
We literraly got all the brand new shows straight from japan, from super sentai and kamen rider
To lesser known ones like juspion/jaspion and jiraya(which I am probably mis-spelling as I am posting from mobile and checking the proper spelling is rather hard in this situation)
We not only had all that aring dubbed on tv, but also a lot more in VHS and such (anyone ever hear of cybercops? Anyone?)
It was downrigh a part of 'geek' culture for us back then, and even adults loved it

BUT, it sadly did not last; I do not know the full details as I was still too young at time and most research leads to two conflicting conclusions
But tokusatuse over here was basically killed despite its sucess
Depending on whom you ask either because of Sabam starting power rangers (and starting his copyright deadlock on the west, with a special point going to masked rider, which came into being right before the final episode of kamen rider black RX was aired, making it so that final episode was never aired or legally released over here), the main channel that started the trend and aired most having issues and going bankrupt or a mixture of the two.

Regardless of that, there is still quite a bit of toku lovers around, doing fansubs, dubs or just keeping the older dubs and shows alive online (the whole 'keep circulating the tapes thing')

It feels clear from playing chroma squad that the devs are such fans, fans specifically of sentai and old toku shows that aired back then
Or newer fans who got I to it due to the still living fanbase.

It feels like more than just a love letter to sentai, when I first played it, it downright felt like that era of brazilian tv. (Not sure, after so may updates and edits if the full feeling is still there or got tonned down)

And yet, despite that... sabam just had to butt in
He had to shove his power ranger brand in it, which honestly comes off as a much bigger offense than an outside perspectove would think.

Anyways, I have rambled long enough, but I hope I got across somewhat the kind of background that likely led to the game
And please forgive the formatting, will try to edit it a bit when I get off mobile.

Haim Saban as been, and always will be, a giant scumbag. Which doesn't stop Power Rangers fanboys (*cough*Linkara*cough*) from eating it up.

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Here's a fun fact: If you backed the Chroma Squad Kickstarter, you got exclusive DLC that not only shows that you backed the game on the title screen, but offers an alternate start where your Rangers actually start their own Kickstarter to fund their studio, which gives you an additional battle before the first proper episode as you film your pitch video, with special armor for your Red Ranger. I could record it if you want for completion's sake.

I will gladly take the additional content if you want to go through with recording it. This was one of the Kickstarters that I missed out on during my father's quadruple bypass surgery + recovery. A time I could hardly think, really. Post it at your leisure and I'll add it to the Table of Contents.

Arkanumzilong posted:

Major Knowledge Bomb

Gotta admit, I knew the legal issues and some of the legal restrictions on Sentai, Rider, and Metal Heroes (Big Bad Beetleborgs, anyone?) shows specifically where it involves the US, but I had no idea how thoroughly Saban Entertainment had control of such content outside of North America. That's pretty eye-opening all told.

If I recall the arguments right for Chroma Squad, it came down to Saban citing specific IP issues. Cerebro, in presentation and role, was too similar to Zordon from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers despite parody law protections. After all, Zordon in his holotube dismbodied glory was unique to Mighty Morphin', and didn't have any direct analogue in Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger in that form. Didn't stop them later using Zyuranger content to give some context and background for Zordon, among other things, but the lack of a Sentai analogue actually strengthened the case Saban Entertainment could have brought against Behold Studios. There's a bit more of the context involved than I touched on in the first video, even if I agree it wasn't something that ever needed doing by Saban in the first place. At least Chroma Squad still managed to get released mostly intact, and it isn't the first game that has run afoul of legal pressures like this.

-

As an progress update. Shiny gets punched alot in the next video and I'll be talking about the Studio portions of the game since the in-game episode itself is fairly short this time. Just work on the commentary track and encoding to go, so should have it ready sometime on Thursday as planned.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

I will gladly take the additional content if you want to go through with recording it. This was one of the Kickstarters that I missed out on during my father's quadruple bypass surgery + recovery. A time I could hardly think, really. Post it at your leisure and I'll add it to the Table of Contents.

Gotta admit, I knew the legal issues and some of the legal restrictions on Sentai, Rider, and Metal Heroes (Big Bad Beetleborgs, anyone?) shows specifically where it involves the US, but I had no idea how thoroughly Saban Entertainment had control of such content outside of North America. That's pretty eye-opening all told.

If I recall the arguments right for Chroma Squad, it came down to Saban citing specific IP issues. Cerebro, in presentation and role, was too similar to Zordon from Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers despite parody law protections. After all, Zordon in his holotube dismbodied glory was unique to Mighty Morphin', and didn't have any direct analogue in Kyōryū Sentai Zyuranger in that form. Didn't stop them later using Zyuranger content to give some context and background for Zordon, among other things, but the lack of a Sentai analogue actually strengthened the case Saban Entertainment could have brought against Behold Studios. There's a bit more of the context involved than I touched on in the first video, even if I agree it wasn't something that ever needed doing by Saban in the first place. At least Chroma Squad still managed to get released mostly intact, and it isn't the first game that has run afoul of legal pressures like this.

-

As an progress update. Shiny gets punched alot in the next video and I'll be talking about the Studio portions of the game since the in-game episode itself is fairly short this time. Just work on the commentary track and encoding to go, so should have it ready sometime on Thursday as planned.
hell, even final fantasy XV ran into issues
they where literally releasing a sentai costume DLC ... but had to change it because Sabam started to bitch about how it infringed in his power rangers trademark on the west

a JAPANESE game had to change its JAPANESE release of a SENTAI reference because Sabam is a piece of poo poo.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, it was easy to see Saban as a bully pushing around a small studio over concepts they didn't own, but when you consider that the concern was actually about the Zordon reference and how it's the only concrete reference to a specific series, it's a bit more understandable. Not to defend Haim Saban himself, he's still the worst.

Also, with FFXV, their concern was again, not that it was referencing Sentai, but that they felt the costumes were too close to the suits in the recent Power Rangers movie, which again, is all Saban's property. Again, somewhat understandable. Not condoning that either, though.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Haim Saban is human garbage.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

VolticSurge posted:

Which doesn't stop Power Rangers fanboys (*cough*Linkara*cough*) from eating it up.

Kemix
Dec 1, 2013

Because change
Character Name: Paul Stanban
Actor Choice: Gus Fune
Preferred Role & Color: Assault/Black
Secondary Role & Color: Techie/Blue
Any themes or equipment requests: The highest attack power/latest weaponry/armor from the shop, none of that silly CRAFTED crap! But...if funds get tight, he's willing to downgrade for the sake of being able to keep running
Backstory of how your character would have been chosen in the "un-aired" Origin Episode: A Were-Panda from some random far off land that was doing experiments on him. He loves to smash in people's faces as hard as possible, tough if need be, he'll take a pistol/shotgun in hand and proceed to shoot them in the arteries to make the sweet red water come down so he may roll around in it as a ceremonial thing. He prefers the latest tech in his hands, no matter how expensive, but if funds get tight and he can't SOMEHOW get the best and shiniest weaponry in his paws, he'll...take the dullness penalty if need be...as long as it's somehow better than his store bought weapons and armor.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
Character Name : Takeshi Hongo

Actor Choice
-Ryo Yoshi

Preferred Role & Color
-Leader, green

Secondary Role & Color
-Assault, black

(Optional) Any themes or equipment requests
-As many kamen rider references as you can put in; which also means, if possible, primarily only fighting with punches and kicks

(Optional) Backstory of how your character would have been chosen in the "un-aired" Origin Episode
-cant think of anything to put here that would not just be copying the wikipedia page on the actor/character

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
Sorry to double post
but I want to keep this separate from my character suggestion and it JUST hit me.
the show cybercops I mentioned on my big rambling post?
all the main actors in the show (with one exception); where actually professional stuntmen, some even still active up to 2014
and, baring the one exception, they actually played their characters in and out of suit, an idea that actually reminds me of chroma squad concept (the in game concept, of the professional stuntman playing the character in and out of costume)

I also tried to research a rumor I once heard (and that came to mind when thinking of chroma squad) that the show itself was made with the express purpose of letting the stuntmen take main roles and have a more direct involvement in a toku series than normal.
Sadly I was not able to find any details to prove that rumor true

I did however find a really amusing bit of info that shows just how much brazil love its toku:
(from wikipedia)
In 1994, all original armor, as well as the cyber weapons, ZAC police costumes and androids Harkos and Ominös were imported by Sato Company in Brazil and used to exhaustion in circus shows, copying the success already had in Jaspion circus. In 2003, Nelson Sato put the original armor for sale at an auction on the internet. Upon receiving false bids and disrupt the auction, he gave up selling them, anyway, the armor of Mars was acquired by a fan known only as "Burai."

Jaspion/Juspion (seen it under both names) being another toku from back then (part of the metal heroes series) and I had absolutely no idea that there once was a Jaspion/Juspion circus O_O .

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat
You honestly should consider doing commentary with Ronin, Ark. You loving love your tokusatsu and I'm curious what that could add to videos :allears:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Is it kosher if I mention which role colors paint what parts of the mecha?

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Dinictus posted:

You honestly should consider doing commentary with Ronin, Ark. You loving love your tokusatsu and I'm curious what that could add to videos :allears:

I am flattered, though not one much one for voice comentary
For ongoing rambling with a horrible accent maybe
But not comentary :p

Ronin Of Dreams
Oct 9, 2012

Go for it, PMuch Perfect. I'd forgotten that was a thing that might be relevant to folks.

As far as commentary goes, avoiding rambling isn't exactly a thing I am good at either. If you are interested down the line, Ark, I'm sure we can work something out. I also plan on bringing in some other Tokusatsu knowledgeable people when I get past Season 1 and the "probably should talk about all these mechanics" part of the game. Reaching out to the folks from a locally recorded Tokusatsu podcast, in fact.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

Go for it, PMuch Perfect. I'd forgotten that was a thing that might be relevant to folks.

As far as commentary goes, avoiding rambling isn't exactly a thing I am good at either. If you are interested down the line, Ark, I'm sure we can work something out. I also plan on bringing in some other Tokusatsu knowledgeable people when I get past Season 1 and the "probably should talk about all these mechanics" part of the game. Reaching out to the folks from a locally recorded Tokusatsu podcast, in fact.
Lead's the Head!
Tech's the Body!
Support's the Legs!
Scout's the Right Arm!
And Assault's the Left Arm!

And on that note:
Character Name: Beta Five
Actor Choice: Mr. Beaver
Preferred Role: Techie
Secondary Role: Assault
Preferred Color: Green
Secondary Color: Black
Theme: He's a beaver with a gun. A quick-drawing, six-shooting varmint with an inexplicable southern accent.
Backstory: Beta Five was originally intended to be a monster, but being so short made it hard to have fight scenes that looked good, so they swapped him out. Everyone's sure he's just some guy in a weird costume. Pretty sure, anyways. No one's ever seen him take it off...

Arkanumzilong posted:

Character Name : Takeshi Hongo
Seconding this, but with Assault as the primary because Reasons.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Scalding Coffee posted:

Hey, without him, we wouldn't have gotten Power Rangers, Digimon OR Samurai Pizza Cats. So he's not the worst thing ever.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Ronin Of Dreams posted:

good luck with getting them!
and honestly; I am too shy when it comes to voice work and such for it to really work out (that and unexperienced :P)

still, looking forward to see who comes along and such
as well as what was changed from when I last played the game
(I do remember a later stage that I am 100% sure got removed or changed if it got released back in japan
due to downright uncensored copyrighted stuff)

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

Junpei posted:

Hey, without him, we wouldn't have gotten Power Rangers, Digimon OR Samurai Pizza Cats. So he's not the worst thing ever.

Seriously love me some Samurai Pizza Cats.

I remember watching the very first episode of Power Rangers and thinking "This won't last a season." Shows what I know at the time.I haven't seen every series, but my personal favorites would have to be Lightspeed Rescue and Wildforce.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinarato
Apr 22, 2013

Junpei posted:

Who do you call when you want some pepperoni!?

• Locked thread