Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

the great deceiver posted:

actually if you read up on his prison situation hes not living comfortably, ps2 or not. hes essentially locked in a cell 23 hours a day with no inmate contact, his only socialization is with the guards and a military chaplain twice a month. hes doing extremely hard time

aside from the fact that my gamecube is better than his ps2 he is getting 50 minutes a day more social interaction than i do and i'll bet that lazy bastard doesn't even have to do his own laundry

sign me up norway, i refuse to do anything evil so im just volunteering: or begging, may i please be put in your gaming /library prison with free therapy and food

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avirosb
Nov 21, 2016

Everyone makes pisstakes

a hole-y ghost posted:

if his plan was to kill all the white children so they go to viking heaven before they get converted into muslimists, He Succeeded.

It doesn't work if they're fleeing.

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

spray-paint the vegetables
dog food stalls
with the beefcake pantyhose
Grimey Drawer
I'm all for rehabilitating people who were at least somewhat victims of misfortune, like kids who were born to neglectful parents, or drug addicts who need help to turn their life around. But years of therapy for someone who murdered dozens of children because he's a Nazi sounds like throwing time and money down the drain.

Even in Scandinavian wonderland, resources must not be unlimited. So until every one of the grieving families has had everything they need, this guy shouldn't be getting more than the bare minimum. Losing a child can wreck the parents emotionally, literally ruining their lives, destroying marriages, causing severe depression.

I were in prison I would definitely prefer a private cell with a video game system, compared to being forced to integrate and room with other prisoners who might beat me up or do worse. Solitary confinement with a fairly modern game system to play with sounds about on par with my high school years and better in some ways. I'm not advocating for the death penalty, just that when people read about a country's prison system, it shouldn't sound like an invitation to commit murder there.

I stick by my recommendation of slow-paced classic literature only for this guy. Suggestions include A Separate Peace, The Scarlet Letter, and Moby Dick.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

green chicken feet posted:

I'm all for rehabilitating people who were at least somewhat victims of misfortune, like kids who were born to neglectful parents, or drug addicts who need help to turn their life around. But years of therapy for someone who murdered dozens of children because he's a Nazi sounds like throwing time and money down the drain.

Even in Scandinavian wonderland, resources must not be unlimited. So until every one of the grieving families has had everything they need, this guy shouldn't be getting more than the bare minimum. Losing a child can wreck the parents emotionally, literally ruining their lives, destroying marriages, causing severe depression.

I were in prison I would definitely prefer a private cell with a video game system, compared to being forced to integrate and room with other prisoners who might beat me up or do worse. Solitary confinement with a fairly modern game system to play with sounds about on par with my high school years and better in some ways. I'm not advocating for the death penalty, just that when people read about a country's prison system, it shouldn't sound like an invitation to commit murder there.

I stick by my recommendation of slow-paced classic literature only for this guy. Suggestions include A Separate Peace, The Scarlet Letter, and Moby Dick.

they set their prison system up to assume that most people that commit crimes aren't mass-murdering psychopaths, but instead people who have some severe issues that they couldn't face on their own. so the system as whole is set up to attempt to truly rehabilitate people, rather than set up specifically to allow a societal form of 'revenge' against those who commit crimes.

it's actually remarkable that there was only small amount of Norwegians who wanted him executed. The rest of them were like "Ja, toss him into prison", knowing full well that their prison system would allow him quite a few creature comforts. everybody knows he's most likely never getting out, but they stuck to their principles in a very trying time and allowed him access to systems that were intended to rehabilitate. I'm sure a lot of people secretly wished he would just disappear from the face of the earth, but still, Norway has a lot of pride of in their social services so they into the system he went.

that's pretty bad rear end

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Tumble posted:

that's pretty bad rear end

It really is. I wonder what will happen when his PS2 breaks.

Maybe give him a ZX spectrum.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

why the feds worried bout me clockin on this corner/
when there's politicians out here gettin popped in arizona

gently caress that, i served over 3 years in the federal system and spent a week of that in solitary. even with a ps2 i would take general population any day because solitary is straight up torture. it appears that the only reason he even has a ps2 is because the norweigian prison system gave it to him as a concession item, sort of like saying ok you are going to live a bleak, miserable existence but you can have a 15 year old game system. saying that sounds like no big deal or a vacation or whatever is profoundly ignorant.

he deserves every second of it tho

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I wonder what games he plays.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Manhunt

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Raspberry Jam It In Me posted:

Naaaaaah, there is a very well established causal relationship between bad prison conditions and recidivism. The only argument for harsher punishment(beyond a reasonable minimum amount) are the hurt little feelings of the victims and the public. Beyond that it's a really bad idea and hurts everyone, including those victims and the public.

It doesn't hurt everyone if you extend the prison stay indefinitely. How about this, good prison standards for anyone but the lifers. Encourage suicide.

ditty bout my clitty fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Jun 11, 2017

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

There was a whole thing in the news about two people who murdered and raped a pair of underage siblings. The issue was that one of the killers made parole after sixteen years, and the childrens parents lived in the same city.

Murder one should be a one-way ticket out of society forever.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

WatermelonGun posted:

I wonder what games he plays.

nothing but DDR

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

dog food stalls
Grimey Drawer

gently caress that, i served over 3 years in the federal system and spent a week of that in solitary. even with a ps2 i would take general population any day because solitary is straight up torture. it appears that the only reason he even has a ps2 is because the norweigian prison system gave it to him as a concession item, sort of like saying ok you are going to live a bleak, miserable existence but you can have a 15 year old game system. saying that sounds like no big deal or a vacation or whatever is profoundly ignorant.

he deserves every second of it tho

I guess depends on someone's personality. I'm willing to admit that being stuck in solitary confinement with a PS2 doesn't sound horrible to me, but it could be for other people... probably for most people who are of a more social nature. And I'm sorry that you had that experience. I definitely still think it's a generous punishment for someone who committed a crime of this enormity.

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

im pretty introverted too. i didnt think it would bother me that much either but after 2 days i was ready to do just about anything to go back to GP

the great deceiver
Sep 23, 2003

and yeah he deserves every second of it. i dont know if this is hypocritical of me to say or whatever but i almost wish he was in the american prison system. his life would be much more of an unrelenting brutal hell.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

If solitary is too inhumane they should give him a cellmate that farts and eats crunchy pickles all day

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

He complained about being given childish games, so it's probably not that.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo
Dunno, as a goon, there is something vaguely appealing about doing nothing but grinding in Dark Cloud/Chronicle, with the knowledge that I have nothing better to do with my time.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

TOOT BOOT posted:

If solitary is too inhumane they should give him a cellmate that farts and eats crunchy pickles all day

And constantly listens to headphones so that he cannot be engaged in conversation

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Grevling posted:

He complained about being given childish games, so it's probably not that.

The idea of him playing super bombad racing alllll day every day until he loving dies fills me with something resembling joy

green chicken feet
Nov 5, 2015

dog food stalls
Grimey Drawer

and yeah he deserves every second of it. i dont know if this is hypocritical of me to say or whatever but i almost wish he was in the american prison system. his life would be much more of an unrelenting brutal hell.

I don't think it's hypocritical to say that.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
it's funny this dude lives in a place better than 90% of americans and sued for a new playstation lmao

ass cobra
May 28, 2004

by Azathoth
https://twitter.com/Runar_A/status/873526364141498369

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

I'm just thinking out loud here, but solitary is probably nothing at all like being a social recluse and may in fact be a form of torture that's used way too often and too long in Scandinavian countries, even against non-violent offenders that have yet to go to trial. Seeing as he'd be murdered immediately in gen pop, there's really no recourse unless the death penalty is reintroduced. I think he should be executed, but until that happens I'm content to lol at this rear end in a top hat being forced to play Crash Bandicoot endlessly until he offs himself.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

How loving pathetic does your life have to be for you to wish that you were living in prison, devoid of any liberty and human dignity?

The answer is: very

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
norwegian prisons actually instill you with more dignity and liberty

they should set up a tourist prison where you can pay like $5k and just be in a norwegian prison and learn to be a good human again, i bet it would do a lot of people some good

SplitSoul posted:

I'm just thinking out loud here, but solitary is probably nothing at all like being a social recluse and may in fact be a form of torture that's used way too often and too long in Scandinavian countries, even against non-violent offenders that have yet to go to trial. Seeing as he'd be murdered immediately in gen pop, there's really no recourse unless the death penalty is reintroduced. I think he should be executed, but until that happens I'm content to lol at this rear end in a top hat being forced to play Crash Bandicoot endlessly until he offs himself.

lol i think you are really overestimating how violent norwegian prisons are

Norway Today posted:

http://norwaytoday.info/news/violence-intimidation-prisons-increased-sharply/

Last year 801 threats and incidents were registered between inmates and employees in Norwegian prisons. In 2014 the number was 508. Both staff and inmates are concerned.

So in the whole norwegian prison system, there were 801 incidents and threats. So for the whole year, for the whole country, that's how many incidents there were. That's including somebody getting pissed and saying "I'm going to kick your rear end". They get written up for that poo poo, that's how safe it is.

Tumble fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 11, 2017

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

Do it ironically posted:

it's funny this dude lives in a place better than 90% of americans and sued for a new playstation lmao

everyone who thinks its a fitting punishment forgets this guy lived in his moms basement playing call of duty and was already isolated from society, now he can name any book in the world and they bring it to his room that is bigger than american dorms that end up costing you 50 grand by the time you get a bachelors, meanwhile my library says 'we could uhh try to order that one' every god drat time i request abook

gently caress you breivik 90 kids was one thing but getting free dinner is absolute bullshit

Tumble posted:

norwegian prisons actually instill you with more dignity and liberty

they should set up a tourist prison where you can pay like $5k and just be in a norwegian prison and learn to be a good human again, i bet it would do a lot of people some good

So in the whole norwegian prison system, there were 801 incidents and threats. So for the whole year, for the whole country, that's how many incidents there were. That's including somebody getting pissed and saying "I'm going to kick your rear end". They get written up for that poo poo, that's how safe it is.

i imagine a lot of people not from america think we are joking when we describe the reality of most maximum security prisons here, i have two friends who work in them and they get so many claims of people being threatened or raped that they don't have time to investigate all of them and they have to pay some outside department to review it sometimes, also finding a guy who hangs himself with a bedsheet is fairly common

this is just local jails and not maxi prisons from what i read

quote:

There were 967 local jail deaths in 2013. There were fewer deaths due to illness, such as liver disease or cancer. However, BJS reported “an increase in unnatural causes of death, such as suicide, drug or alcohol intoxication, accident and homicide,” leading to the overall upswing.

quote:

Major news stories have highlighted data that suggest rates, especially in the last three years, have risen dramatically. At least 327 jail suicides occurred in 2013.

couldn't find up to date numbers but apparently jail and prison suicides have raised more since 2013

extra stout fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jun 11, 2017

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Tumble posted:

Most inmates didn't kill scores of kids. One dude already tried to get access to his cell with the intent to kill him.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I haven't been able to find any statistics on violence among prisoners in Norway. I'd be curious to know how many fights and murders there are in prison over there. I'd have to imagine that it makes the news in a fairly major way when somebody a prisoner is killed over there though.

SplitSoul posted:

Most inmates didn't kill scores of kids. One dude already tried to get access to his cell with the intent to kill him.

That's true. But you've also got to think that because most prisoners are out of there after 15-20 years no matter what that there is much less incentive to commit murder. There's only like 20 people serving life over there: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Life_imprisonment_in_Norway

Tumble fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Jun 11, 2017

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

People in the Progress Party, our right-wing populist party which every European country has to have, have proposed that we have separate prisons for foreigners because they figure it's not going to be much of a punishment for them. Reminds me of the early modern idea that commoners and nobles had to have separate punishments because it would be worse for the noble, not being used to hardship.

I say we take it one step further: We should take great pains to accurately emulate every other country's prison system, so for example Americans can feel like home in a prison designed to be just like an American prison.
People from the Philippines accused of drug use could be shot without trial, Russians could be raped and stabbed.

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Tumble posted:

I haven't been able to find any statistics on violence among prisoners in Norway. I'd be curious to know how many fights and murders there are in prison over there. I'd have to imagine that it makes the news in a fairly major way when somebody a prisoner is killed over there though.

Your link also seemed to be about incidents between COs and inmates, but it's kinda poorly worded. I don't think a guy like him would last long.

Grevling posted:

People in the Progress Party

Like Breivik while he was planning his attack. I wonder what punishment they would find fitting for him, if any.

SplitSoul fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jun 11, 2017

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I will give every goon in this thread who wants it a fully authentic prison experience without committing any crimes, :siren:free of charge:siren:(you have to be eligible for residence in Germany). All you have to do is to go on unemployment benefits and directly transfer them to me. I will then lock you in your apartment and bring you cheap rear end canteen food twice per day and also books and other prison poo poo, if you request it. I'll also let you out to run a couple of laps in the courtyard on my way from work. Will even watch you shower, if you are hot or really gross in a funny(haha-funny) way(like a dead Siamese twin is hanging from your side or you have really freaky body hair)

Toadvine
Mar 16, 2009
Please disregard my advice w/r/t history.
Playstation 2 is the best console of all time idk what he's complaining about

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Toadvine posted:

Playstation 2 is the best console of all time idk what he's complaining about

IRC the game they gave him was Rayman. Imagine playing that every single day, 8h a day, for the rest of your life. It's heaven on earth.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

I will give every goon in this thread who wants it a fully authentic prison experience without committing any crimes, :siren:free of charge:siren:(you have to be eligible for residence in Germany). All you have to do is to go on unemployment benefits and directly transfer them to me. I will then lock you in your apartment and bring you cheap rear end canteen food twice per day and also books and other prison poo poo, if you request it. I'll also let you out to run a couple of laps in the courtyard on my way from work. Will even watch you shower, if you are hot or really gross in a funny(haha-funny) way(like a dead Siamese twin is hanging from your side or you have really freaky body hair)

I might know someone who would be interested, if you provide airfare from Australia to Germany, and give him a certificate stating that he spent time in a *real* German clink.

He needs the certification in order to present it to the High Bogan Council, in order to be ordained as an acolyte Lad Rapper of the Wigger denomination. An American prison would be best (just like the avatar, 50 Cent!), but he might squeak through.

Further information: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20kv41-3B9g

Fredrik1
Jan 22, 2005

Gopherslayer
:rock:
Fallen Rib

IRC the game they gave him was Rayman. Imagine playing that every single day, 8h a day, for the rest of your life. It's heaven on earth.

He should speedrun it on twitch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Good soup! posted:

he was once part of some underground graffiti artist group