Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Exhausts don't exist for these anymore unless you find some Toyota dealer ratholing one away (ask me how I know!)

Weird; only a few years ago I picked a new one up from a supplier on ebay for £40.

OK, a bit more expensive nowadays, but...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR...iwAAOSwn7JYE8t0

meltie fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 1, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

I think my outlook on the prices of aw11's is a bit skewed. I picked up my last one for $2500 and its was a 89 with updated suspension/bushings/etc and a BT 20v motor swap. It needed a paint job, but the body was straight with no rust and it had a mostly intact front lip.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

How do we feel about the yellow halogen accessory foglights on the aw11? A lot of the mountain driving I do around here ends in the dark and my headlights are poo poo. I do like the tidyness of the front end now, but need moar light!

If you can find a set of the motorized ones, they look awesome. No idea if they actually throw enough light to be helpful tho.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My 88 Supra has those yellow fogs and I used to use them with the mains because my mains were poo poo. New 150% brighter bulbs were bought and now I never need to switch them on.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

meltie posted:

Weird; only a few years ago I picked a new one up from a supplier on ebay for £40.

OK, a bit more expensive nowadays, but...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TOYOTA-MR...iwAAOSwn7JYE8t0

I'm almost willing to pay that, plus whatever bonkers shipping price to have that system. I built my own, and it's awesome (and inspection legal), but a few dB louder than I'd prefer. Also, yeah, can't find those here.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Doing front struts today. One down, one to go. Anyone out there share this fun with me at some point?!

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012

financially racist posted:

all the poorly modified sw20s tend to be turbos, which is why i personally would stay the gently caress away from them. plus the na looks better imo anyway without the buckteeth fog lamps and such, plus there are just so many engine swaps available that are better than the 3s-gte anyway. an na sw20 is among the best car mod platforms out there in my opinion.

i have a jdm turbo sdub and spent awhile unfucking stuff

other than the honda drag engine swaps and the v6's (3mz and 2gr) what else have you seen around?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the 3vz is another v6 option, gen 4 3sgte's are good if you really want turbocharging, the BEAMS makes a little more hp than the us-spec 3s-gte while being naturally aspirated.

that said i worded that post wrong, i meant there are engines that are better than the us-spec 3s-gte that are cheap and easily obtainable. 3mz/3vz are especially good for the price. 2gr is the most superior engine for an sw20 but is much more expensive and, if you do it yourself, the most difficult as well. which is why i'ma have a shop do that poo poo for me though that will still be a while from now.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
If I did a 3/5s build I'd be cherry picking blocks and heads. luckily in Aus the 5sfe block/crank is p cheap and available.

2gr is very pricey, about 11k drive in out for me through my guy

I've seen plenty of turbo beams swaps lately here, but a proper turbo build for a beams just seems more complicated than needed

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
MR2's are a popular EV conversion. Just a thought.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

VideoGameVet posted:

MR2's are a popular EV conversion. Just a thought.

We as an automotive culture, just aren't there yet - Especially the shade-tree types. Unless you plan to do a <40 mile commute each day. I wish EV tech propagated faster, but the charging time and range issues just still haven't boiled down to realistic numbers yet.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I'm almost willing to pay that, plus whatever bonkers shipping price to have that system. I built my own, and it's awesome (and inspection legal), but a few dB louder than I'd prefer. Also, yeah, can't find those here.

Just got word back, shipping is 125 pounds to the US on these exhausts, fwiw. I'll stick with my home made unit for now I guess (for better or worse).

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

We as an automotive culture, just aren't there yet - Especially the shade-tree types. Unless you plan to do a <40 mile commute each day. I wish EV tech propagated faster, but the charging time and range issues just still haven't boiled down to realistic numbers yet.
Oh yes we are. Check the EV thread. I just posted yesterday about a guy who swapped a Leaf motor into his Honda CRX and is running 12 second 1/4 miles and has it tuned over 300hp. I also posted a project in that thread of another dude swapping everything from a Leaf into a VW Bus to use as a daily driver. I drive my Leaf 75 miles a day and with my quick charger I can charge at 150mph. In a smaller, lighter car it would be better. The trickiest part is fitting all the batteries into such a small chassis, maybe not be possible to get the full battery capacity.

Anyway sorry for the hijack haha. Love the car can't believe you got it for $400, I am jealous! Whatever you do it will be fun to drive. Nothing wrong with a stout rebuild and a turbo.

meltie
Nov 9, 2003

Not a sodding fridge.

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Just got word back, shipping is 125 pounds to the US on these exhausts, fwiw. I'll stick with my home made unit for now I guess (for better or worse).
That's not so bad!

Neither's that :cool:

VideoGameVet
May 14, 2005

It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion. It is by the juice of Java that pedaling acquires speed, the teeth acquire stains, stains become a warning. It is by caffeine alone I set my bike in motion.
Company I worked at in the mid 1980's (Aegis Development) had a MR2 of your style as one of the partner's car.

Really drove nice. Great car to have.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I thought I would bump this thread in case any goon has a spare AW11 steering rack. Mine (from Sockington's car) is bent and I'm having an extremely difficult time sourcing a replacement. If anyone knows of a junkyard or parts hoarder that may have one I would happily paypal a reasonable sum for you to ship it to Canada. Cheers!

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

TWSS posted:

I thought I would bump this thread in case any goon has a spare AW11 steering rack. Mine (from Sockington's car) is bent and I'm having an extremely difficult time sourcing a replacement. If anyone knows of a junkyard or parts hoarder that may have one I would happily paypal a reasonable sum for you to ship it to Canada. Cheers!

What part is bent? it seems like most of the rack is replaceable. Is your main body of the rack bent or something?

I saw this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/85-89-MR2-S...dpZ3SPG&vxp=mtr

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

TWSS posted:

I've got a friend with like three of these torn apart- manual or PS?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

since this was bumped, a short update: my aw11 tank is ready to be dropped with everything out of the way, but i've still been waffling on it because :effort: and because college is in session. this sunday it will be really nice out so i intend on finally dropping it, draining it and replacing the pump. i've read that there is a decent chance that i'll have to replace the fuel filler hose because they are known to crack and break upon dropping the tank as well. i will prolly put the tank back in next sunday and hopefully, if all goes well, get the car at least running (already bracing for hilarious disappointment).

i've also been looking at tires because the ones on there are in fact dry rotted, not badly and i've seen cars with way worse (oregon has no inspections and man the poo poo you see on cars here is pretty :stonk:), but since the aw11 is gonna be my track car i wanna get good stuff on there. i am looking at potentially going for falken avensis, but i honestly don't know enough about...well any of this poo poo to know what to go for. i may also do a brake upgrade depending on whether the rotors need replaced; if they can be resurfaced i will just do that instead.

sw20 meanwhile is as problem free as any nearly 200k mile toyota is. 5sfe powered sw20s may be the best bet for reliable, cheap, cool cars out there. still need to replace the valve cover gasket, maybe i should do that before i set the thing on fire lol.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008

the spyder posted:

I've got a friend with like three of these torn apart- manual or PS?

The 1985-1989s are all manual racks.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

i've also been looking at tires because the ones on there are in fact dry rotted, not badly and i've seen cars with way worse (oregon has no inspections and man the poo poo you see on cars here is pretty :stonk:), but since the aw11 is gonna be my track car i wanna get good stuff on there. i am looking at potentially going for falken avensis, but i honestly don't know enough about...well any of this poo poo to know what to go for. i may also do a brake upgrade depending on whether the rotors need replaced; if they can be resurfaced i will just do that instead.

For brakes, just put in high temp fluid like Motul RBF600 and some higher temp track pads on there. (and maybe new soft lines if they're original rubber and cracking. Could go with SS lines for better brake feel, too) I'm not sure what all is available for MR2s, but usually Hawk will make some compound for track duty to get you started. As you get faster, worry about brakes more then. But for a small and light car like that, I'd doubt you'd need more than decent pads and fluid. For tires, maybe you mean Falken Azenis? I don't think folks would recommend them as a first choice, but check the track day and racing thread for better recommendations. What size wheels are you going to be using? That's going to limit your options most likely if they're below about 17's. Not too many grippy tires in small sizes anymore.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Oct 19, 2017

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

since this was bumped, a short update: my aw11 tank is ready to be dropped with everything out of the way, but i've still been waffling on it because :effort: and because college is in session. this sunday it will be really nice out so i intend on finally dropping it, draining it and replacing the pump. i've read that there is a decent chance that i'll have to replace the fuel filler hose because they are known to crack and break upon dropping the tank as well. i will prolly put the tank back in next sunday and hopefully, if all goes well, get the car at least running (already bracing for hilarious disappointment).

sw20 meanwhile is as problem free as any nearly 200k mile toyota is. 5sfe powered sw20s may be the best bet for reliable, cheap, cool cars out there. still need to replace the valve cover gasket, maybe i should do that before i set the thing on fire lol.

For tires - Potenza RE-71R if they're available in your size. I've got them on my e30 and they are :coal:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat

charliemonster42 posted:

For tires - Potenza RE-71R if they're available in your size. I've got them on my e30 and they are :coal:

They also have a very short life.

Adiabatic
Nov 18, 2007

What have you assholes done now?
Counterpoint: They also have a very short name.

charliemonster42
Sep 14, 2005

Adiabatic posted:

Counterpoint: They also have a very short name.

Additional counterpoint: They're so much fun who gives a poo poo about the short life. If it's not your primary car, you'll be just fine.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

For the brakes, I assume you are familiar with twos r us, right? They have pretty much everything you would want for your aw11, especially when it comes to brakes.

https://twosrus.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_66

Honestly I would not worry about doing a big brake upgrade unless you plan on putting a lot more power into the car. Even with a 20v swap, the stock brakes are more than enough for the car. Stainless lines, some decent pads/rotors/fluid and maybe upgrade to 87+ calipers and you should be set.

Finding "normal" street tires is the worst part about these things now. At least you can get high performance/track tires pretty easily in 14" or 15", but finding decent all seasons or anything is next to impossible.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

slurry_curry posted:

Finding "normal" street tires is the worst part about these things now. At least you can get high performance/track tires pretty easily in 14" or 15", but finding decent all seasons or anything is next to impossible.

I run Cooper Starfire Rs-c 2.0's on stock triangle rims. Wear well, stick well. $49ea on Amazon.

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

Huh, maybe the tire market has got a bit better. It's been ~7 years since I had my last mr2. Good to know, since I will most likely end up with another one eventually.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

slurry_curry posted:

For the brakes, I assume you are familiar with twos r us, right? They have pretty much everything you would want for your aw11, especially when it comes to brakes.

https://twosrus.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_66

Honestly I would not worry about doing a big brake upgrade unless you plan on putting a lot more power into the car. Even with a 20v swap, the stock brakes are more than enough for the car. Stainless lines, some decent pads/rotors/fluid and maybe upgrade to 87+ calipers and you should be set.

alright, well noted on the brakes. wrt tires, i intend on using the aw11 mostly for track stuff (though still street drivable without being a pita on regular roads) with the sw20 continuing its service as my daily, so high performance tires are already my main choice there.

the real bitch will be finding a muffler. prolly gonna have to pay out my rear end for a muffler shop to custom make one.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
i have broken my sw20 again. cant even be bothered digging in to find out whats wrong till the drift pig s13 is done. its been retired from daily duties so no huge rush and its probably long overdue for some engine bay love.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

SquirrelGrip posted:

i have broken my sw20 again. cant even be bothered digging in to find out whats wrong till the drift pig s13 is done. its been retired from daily duties so no huge rush and its probably long overdue for some engine bay love.

Well what started out as a search for an oil cooler more than a year ago has pretty much ended up in rebuilding the engine with forged pistons/rods, supra fuelpump, replacement gearbox/clutch, cooling system refresh, fixing the ac, powdercoating all the suspension arms/subframe and a shittone of other little niggly things that have been annoying me over the last year or so.

I did manage to get the oilcooler at least, alongside an entire longblock with manifolds, 800cc rx7 injectors and some ancient ridiculous Japanese t67 (I think) turbo kit. Block and head went off to the machine shop. Got it back and it's mostly assembled now.

Also need a new bronze tinted windscreen which are hard to get here because europe spec cars were all blue tint. :negative:

Once it's all done the car should be able to handle a decent amount of power, but I'm just going to see how much I can get out of my little billet TD-05 16G with the bigger injectors and a standalone.

• Locked thread