Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

SW20 just wasn't enough, I needed more

This car has sat for 5 years and does not currently run. I swapped the battery with mine and the car does turn over, and temporarily fires with starter fluid but immediately dies. So it isn't getting fuel. I'll start by swapping the fuel filter and cleaning the injectors and filling the tank with new gas (it was almost empty, I put a few gallons in before trying to start it). Next step if that does not work will be dropping the tank and changing out the pump.

Once the car is running I need to assess everything else. The rotors probably need replaced but I'm gonna see if I can have them resurfaced. The tires actually appear to be good, no dry rot or flat spots that I could see. I'm sure there'll be other stuff I gotta address as I go along but since this isn't my only car, that's OK. Oh also I paid 400 bucks for this essentially rust-free AW11. Yes, really, on both accounts.

This will mostly be a learning experience. I've long wanted to get better at working on cars but I've only ever owned one car at a given time and have been too afraid of loving my one way of getting anywhere to really wrench on poo poo myself beyond easy stuff. For all I know this car needs a full engine rebuild, and that's OK - no rush to fix it cause I got the SW20 and that thing has been rock solid for the 20k miles I've put on it. Anyway on to more pictures.

Underneath the rough exterior lies a true unicorn of the automotive world: a rust-free AW11. Apparently they exist?

Interior needs attention but IDGAF, that's fixable

BOY THIS ENGINE BAY SURE LOOKS FUN

obligatory frunk shot

CURRENT STATUS: Still at previous owner's house, awaiting pickup which will be on Saturday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
This thing rules. I bet it still has rust but who cares because it's a fine-rear end ride.

The engine bay isn't all that bad, you just can't 'cheat' by not removing some things in the way like you can on other cars.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

I checked under the carpets in the cabin and trunk, under the plastic in the front, under the door sill plastic, in the wheel wells and the underbody and there isn't any rust. If there is any on the body it must be super super hidden somewhere and wouldn't be anything to worry about. I'm still sorta shocked that I couldn't find any in any of the normal spots that the AW11 is known to rust at.

Bibendum
Sep 5, 2003
nunc est Bibendum
Nice find, Interior looks totally salvagable. The center console bezel is even still intact.

Not certain about the spare intake manifold in the frunk though, looks like maybe someone thought a 4ac manifold with a 32/36 would fit on and fix their efi problems.

Hope you keep the triangles on it I think the original wheels really match the character of the car.

Maybe check and see if the AFM flapper is stuck shut, I've seen them corrode to the point of not moving. If you haven't already, I'd also loosen a fuel line at the rail and check for pressure before pulling the pump or filter.

edit: actually I think that's a 22r manifold.

Bibendum fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jun 30, 2017

stone soup
Jul 8, 2004
I think i'd hit the lottery before I came across a find like that near me in the mid-west/rust-belt. Also, I'm loving how majestic the crack in the sunroof appears in that photo.

interwhat
Jul 23, 2005

it's kickin in dude
3sgte swap?

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Bibendum posted:

Nice find, Interior looks totally salvagable. The center console bezel is even still intact.

Not certain about the spare intake manifold in the frunk though, looks like maybe someone thought a 4ac manifold with a 32/36 would fit on and fix their efi problems.

Hope you keep the triangles on it I think the original wheels really match the character of the car.

Maybe check and see if the AFM flapper is stuck shut, I've seen them corrode to the point of not moving. If you haven't already, I'd also loosen a fuel line at the rail and check for pressure before pulling the pump or filter.

edit: actually I think that's a 22r manifold.

Yeah I have no idea why that manifold is up there. He had a couple other random parts around his house from other cars so for all I know it has nothing to do with this one. I was already planning on checking the pump by disconnecting the filter line; I'll prolly replace the filter irregardless because after it's been sitting for 5 years why wouldn't you just to be sure.

interwhat posted:

3sgte swap?

Naw, I will be doing a 2GR swap into the SW20 and then after that if I still have the AW11 I might go for a BEAMS swap. That'd be after I take care of it cosmetically (it doesn't show up in the pictures but the paint is really bad especially on the roof due to it baking in the hot southern Oregon sun for 5 years).

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
This car is rad and I wish I could get anything of that age without rust here, not to mention an MR2. Hopefully there's not too many electrical gremlins, but if it's "only" been sitting 5 years it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016
Hey brother! (from another low-buck rust free '86 AW11)

Good luck with your refreshing of the car!!

edit: f-u photobucket

Garage2Roadtrip fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jul 1, 2017

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Oh man, power windows and auto climate control?! You fancy!
No really, the auto HVAC is super cool and I want it!!!

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
What does the "METAL" button do? :rock:

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Cage posted:

What does the "METAL" button do? :rock:

It's for metal (typ IV) cassette tapes.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

Hey brother! (from another low-buck rust free '86 AW11)

Good luck with your refreshing of the car!!

edit: f-u photobucket

holy poo poo it's a twin

anyway

got it home today~

it's parked right outside my bedroom window so it'll be a constant reminder to myself to work on it

slurry_curry
Nov 26, 2003
<3mini-moni+animu^_^

my first aw11 had a dent in the exact same place. Granted much worse cause it was from a semi trucks tire(backing into a loading dock and didn't see my car parked across the street). I will always vote BT 20v swap is the best for an aw11. relatively cheap/easy swap and, IMHO, the perfect motor for the car. Put some velocity stacks on it and they make the best sound. I swear the intake noise was louder than the exhaust on that motor.

I really need another aw11, mostly so I can have a valid excuse for my wife about why I have boxes of parts for cars I don't own....

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

i used a toilet plunger and it almost completely removed the dent :q:

i also washed the car, it cleaned up alright

i also grabbed a battery (because gently caress lugging the one out of my sw20 every time i wanna screw with this car) and a low profile floor jack because our regular jack doesn't fit under either mr2. next week i'll change the oil, fuel and air filters and give it a go at starting; gotta get some stuff for my summer courses done in the mean time.

wildemere
Nov 19, 2013
Mr Regular has one now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9q0Rrg7w4Xk

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

put up a canopy for some shade (it's often over 100 here in summer) and took all the stuff out of the frunk and trunk, as well as the seats, and cleaned everything. gonna take the carpets out at some point later this week, prolly after i change out the filters and oil. also gonna order a new shift boot, shift knob and center console cushion as they're all pretty knackered. need to get the steering wheel re-wrapped at some point too.

still crossing my fingers that the fuel pump isn't bad, i really don't wanna drop the tank...

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Is it a blue or red top 4AGE?

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

financially racist posted:

put up a canopy for some shade (it's often over 100 here in summer) and took all the stuff out of the frunk and trunk, as well as the seats, and cleaned everything. gonna take the carpets out at some point later this week, prolly after i change out the filters and oil. also gonna order a new shift boot, shift knob and center console cushion as they're all pretty knackered. need to get the steering wheel re-wrapped at some point too.

still crossing my fingers that the fuel pump isn't bad, i really don't wanna drop the tank...

I tried re-wrapping my steering wheel, but didn't like it. I was able to find a very lightly used one on eBay from the UK for <$100 shipped. The shift boot is kind of a pain in the rear end because of how it attaches to the underside of the center console (If you're taking out the center console you should be fine).

I'm interested to see what your fuel delivery issue is. When I got mine, the throttle body was barely functioning and a spirited drive knocked enough junk free to kill my idle and 4200rpm+ performance. I ended up taking it apart completely and rebuilding the TB.

Also I'm shocked at how inexpensive a good used glass roof is on eBay, considering something as mundane as an exhaust is nearly impossible to find for these.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yeah the whole interior is coming out. i also gotta find out why the radio doesn't work; wanna keep the stock head unit if possible because it looks nice and also i'm a nostalgic dumbfucker who wants to listen to cassette tapes again.

the throttle body seems to be moving just fine so i doubt it's that. it also isn't the injectors. that leaves fuel pump, fuel filter or fuel pump relay. hoping it's the filter or pump relay.

my muffler is shot and i need a new one but yeah they seem impossible to find. oh well, that's not a priority right now anyway.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

yeah the whole interior is coming out. i also gotta find out why the radio doesn't work; wanna keep the stock head unit if possible because it looks nice and also i'm a nostalgic dumbfucker who wants to listen to cassette tapes again.

the throttle body seems to be moving just fine so i doubt it's that. it also isn't the injectors. that leaves fuel pump, fuel filter or fuel pump relay. hoping it's the filter or pump relay.

my muffler is shot and i need a new one but yeah they seem impossible to find. oh well, that's not a priority right now anyway.

Ah yeah, I'm like you, I prefer a stock head unit. If I want modern stuff I'll install a module behind it to get bluetooth etc.

Yeah, I hope it's filter/relay too! Sitting here thinking about it, I never notice an audible pump when I throw the key to run (but not start). Can you pull a fuel line near the injector rail and crank it to see if it's pumping?

I don't think it's causing your start problem, but my TB was moving okay, but the early TVIS ones had a shitton of small ports in them that controlled idle, various vacuum functions, and then used a wax pellet with a spring and machined plate to control (a portion of) cold high idle. Mine was a mess. Just in case you run into issues there.

Since I couldn't find a factory exhaust system (or even a period aftermarket one) that was reasonably priced, i ended up throwing this together complete with cat for under $175. It's a little drone-y in the cabin with windows down/roof out but it passes inspection and sounds okay running around town. (clamps on clamps on clamps)

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Since I gotta disconnect the line to the filter to replace it anyhow, I'm just gonna test to see if fuel is flowing from that line while it's disconnected.

That exhaust solution is cool. There is one for sale I found but it's by a company I've never heard of and I dunno if I want to go for it. Plenty of time until I need to really worry about it though, not even gonna bother until it's on the road and all the real issues that I do and don't yet know about are fixed.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

-Radio doesn't work because rats chewed the power wire and also made a nest behind the center console
-Disconnected the fuel in line to the filter, no fuel comes out when I give the car power
-However, like every single fuse in both the frunk and engine bay fuse boxes was wrong and I gotta go buy a bunch of new ones to replacce poo poo like the 7.5s that were in 30 slots :psyduck: Gonna test the relays with a multimeter later.

I did change the oil and oil filter, didn't change the fuel filter because I ran out of steam and got overheated.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 21:31 on Jul 3, 2017

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

That's a good DIY idea but honestly most muffler shops would weld one in for around the same price and you won't have fifty clamps holding it together. A welded system looks much cleaner and less likely to leak later on.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

-Radio doesn't work because rats chewed the power wire and also made a nest behind the center console
-Disconnected the fuel in line to the filter, no fuel comes out when I give the car power
-However, like every single fuse in both the frunk and engine bay fuse boxes was wrong and I gotta go buy a bunch of new ones to replacce poo poo like the 7.5s that were in 30 slots :psyduck: Gonna test the relays with a multimeter later.

I did change the oil and oil filter, didn't change the fuel filter because I ran out of steam and got overheated.

This would probably be a good time to plan on dropping the tank and cleaning it and also the fuel lines. If you have an inline fuse holder lying around you can test the pump by just jumping it straight to 12V to see any signs of life.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

Applebees Appetizer posted:

That's a good DIY idea but honestly most muffler shops would weld one in for around the same price and you won't have fifty clamps holding it together. A welded system looks much cleaner and less likely to leak later on.

I planned to take it to a local shop and have them throw one together. I was a week from driving 600 mile to the Carlisle Import Nat'ls and the car was on the lift for a bunch of other stuff. I brought the old plugged system to a shop nearby and they refused to make one that was exactly the same without the car being there. So I bought a bunch of poo poo on Amazon and had it overnighted and threw what you see together, including etching high heat primer and high heat paint to keep it looking halfway decent.

I admit the nine clamps aren't ideal, but they work and the system isn't leaking. Plus I was able to hang it from factory mounts using them.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Breakfast Feud posted:

This would probably be a good time to plan on dropping the tank and cleaning it and also the fuel lines. If you have an inline fuse holder lying around you can test the pump by just jumping it straight to 12V to see any signs of life.

I prolly should but :negative:

However, things aren't as simple as I thought wrt the fuel system. I guess there's a failsafe so that if a line is not hooked it won't pump, so I have to remove a different line near the fuel rail and then hook a jumper wire up to a test box in the engine bay to actually test if fuel is pumping. This will be after I change the fuel filter.

I'll also check the relays with a battery and multimeter to make sure they're all good. I'd not be surprised if some are bad since the fuse box cover is gone and they've been exposed more or less directly to the elements for 5 years.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
It seems like you might need to invest in a fuel pressure test kit or rent one at least.

quote:

Short the terminals Fp and +B of the check connector.
NOTE: The check connector is located near the resonator.
(k) Turn on the ignition switch.
(Do not start the engine with the link fitted)
Measure the fuel pressure.
Fuel pressure: 2.7 - 3.1 kg/cm2
(38 - 44 psi, 265 - 304 kPa)
If high, replace the pressure regulator.
If low, check the following parts.
• Fuel hoses and connection
• Fuel Pump
• Fuel filter
• Pressure regulator

A quick google shows that there's a regulator in the system too which is a failure point. Apparently you can't test these pumps easily, everyone is saying how they have done inline splices to a T connector and then hooked up a regulator.

edit: but yeah, obviously fresh fuses first and fix the rat eaten wiring. Bad grounds can do weirdo poo poo.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
I bet the ground for the fuel pump corroded. Dropping the tank is a lot of fun!

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

oh hey great

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Aren't yard cars exciting?

It's either that or wasp nests.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

well i cleared out 4 hornets nests the day i bought it so that we would not have to deal with them while loading it onto the trailer so it looks like i won both prizes~

anyway, the efi relay (ie the one controlling the fuel pump) is good. gotta replace the fuel filter and run that test with the check box to see if the pump is not getting power next.

also pulled the spark plugs and they are pretty :whitewater: so those are getting replaced as well.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Yeah but in the video he says he's going to baby the loving thing. I'm beginning to realise Mr Regular doesn't actually like cars, he just likes waffling on about them.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

yeah why anyone would baby a sports car boggles me, i already take my sw20 to the local autocross track and plan to do the same with the aw11

drive the car it was meant to be driven, man

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Not everyone who drives a sports car wants to rag the poo poo out of it possibly, especially a 30 year old one in good condition. Most of these cars now feel fairly special just driving around normally when compared with modern cars anyway. It's not like he's putting it into a climate controlled garage to never use as an investment opportunity or something.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

That's fine and everything, but it doesn't make it any less lame.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

I'll also check the relays with a battery and multimeter to make sure they're all good. I'd not be surprised if some are bad since the fuse box cover is gone and they've been exposed more or less directly to the elements for 5 years.

I wondered if you had taken the cover off, or if it was missing. That's like a prime "sit in a yard and collect water" location too.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm beginning to realise Mr Regular doesn't actually like cars, he just likes waffling on about them.

I think he likes cars, but doesn't know a ton about them outside of reading wikipedia articles and putting them to music.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Garage2Roadtrip posted:

I think he likes cars, but doesn't know a ton about them outside of reading wikipedia articles and putting them to music.

tbf this is also me. i am incredibly mechanically un-inclined, though i am hoping to change that with this project. i mean, i drat well better change that lest i end up one of those doofs with a non-running car on his property for decades.

Garage2Roadtrip
Oct 27, 2016

lest i end up one of those doofs with a non-running car on his property for decades.

Hey, at least it won't take up too much room on said property!

But, really, you have an excellent project car. There are a few unique and harder-than-normal to find parts for the AW11, but largely it's super easy to work on, the 4AGE is both reliable, non-interference, cheap to fix/replace, and the rest of the car is the same way. Pretty sure it'll be minimally invasive or intensive to get the thing running/driving/stopping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I just went and looked at ITBs on a 4AGE.

Want.

• Locked thread