Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Is there a way to fast forward while testing? Getting to the ticks part and everything is soo slow.

edit: Fast forward button unlocked when doing Delay Count, ignore the question.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Sep 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
And now I'm stuck on Combiner. How the hell are you supposed to solve this with a single memory reader? I can play with delays and stuff and get the correct sum, but the problem then is to delay the memory writer from doing anything until the value has stabilized (which takes mutiple cycles due to the latches involved)

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

ymgve posted:

to delay the memory writer from doing anything until the value has stabilized (which takes mutiple cycles due to the latches involved)

a little trick I used

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist
I could do with a pointer on Faux-Reg. I have a (straight-forward) solution with 8 modules, but I don't yet see how I would get that down to the ideal 6 modules, so one of my assumptions (e.g. I need a counter) must be wrong.

Any gentle prods?

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

y_y posted:

I could do with a pointer on Faux-Reg. I have a (straight-forward) solution with 8 modules, but I don't yet see how I would get that down to the ideal 6 modules, so one of my assumptions (e.g. I need a counter) must be wrong.

Any gentle prods?

You do need a counter :)

Have you noticed the optional variants that appear in the description after you beat the puzzle? The one you want is variant #2.

y_y
Oct 25, 2011

conversationalist

PleasingFungus posted:

You do need a counter :)

Have you noticed the optional variants that appear in the description after you beat the puzzle? The one you want is variant #2.

Duh. Got it. Thanks!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off
Our second weekly update is now live on almost* all platforms!

Highlights:
  • Linux support is now live! Check it out and let me know what problems you encounter :)
  • Revised puzzles: Collisions (returning to the mainline progression) and Parallac (now an optional puzzle). The tests are much more consistent now - if you’ve already beaten them, try out the new versions!
  • Revised puzzles: Delay CPU, Reg Hazard, and Finale. The timing for input/output selectors has been changed to make these levels more interesting - again, please try out the new versions!
  • New puzzle: Backup, a ‘nightmare’-difficulty optional sequel to Parallac. Enjoy!
  • Relevant leaderboards have been reset.
Features:
  • Ideals for some late-game puzzles have been adjusted to be more challenging.
  • Screenshake has been cut to 30%.
  • Arithmetic on space characters is consistent with other letters.
  • Odds and Divide have had their time limits increased.
  • Secrets now have sound effects.
Bugfixes:
  • Wire color is preserved when passing through the same register repeatedly.
  • Failing to load cursors should no longer cause crashes on launch.
  • Various smaller fixes and tweaks.

This update focused heavily on the late-game; the goal for next week’s update is to focus on earlier parts. If you got stuck somewhere, let me know where - that’s where I’ll add more puzzles.

Enjoy!

*The Steam Linux demo is slightly delayed, but will be out later today.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer
Ah, I got around to starting this and so far, so good!

Cows is hard. A couple previous challenges were about 2 or 3 minutes of thinking. Cows is...Well, I'll edit this post when I have a solution.

E1: I have the whole design mapped in my head, but memory starting in a null state is a huge issue for my brain right now.

Canine Blues Arooo fucked around with this message at 06:13 on Oct 17, 2017

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
The hardest for me was Threes because I just could not figure out the sequence co-feeding. I actually got the optimal solution and I could not tell you how it works, I just happened to incidentally wire the modules I had the right way at some point.

One feature I really wish this game had was comments. The ability to draw a colored rectangle under a bunch of components and name it (and ideally draw sub-rectangles over that). It would be nice to keep track of what different parts of your module are doing (i.e. this is basically a while loop, this is the program counter, etc). Right now you can label individual components, but that means if you have a multi-component bit corresponding to a single piece of functionality, you have to arbitrarily choose one to be labelled or label all of them and it isn't always obvious which one to do (and tedious to label all of them).

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Alright, Cows has officially stumped me for now, but I've moved on.

I'm at 'Instructions', and I think I cheated?

I ended up with this:

I feel like that's somehow not in the spirit of using the opcode for stuff. Is that the intended solution or am I misunderstanding the use of the Instruction Decoder?

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
That's the intended solution I'm pretty sure. An opcode just means on a certain value do a certain instruction, but IIRC for Instructions it's an introduction so you only need to do 0MEM, which is trivial. It's just to get you used to using the instruction decoder. Later on you'll get a few more opcodes so you'll need to directly use it in some way to decide what to do with the given values.

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Alright, I'm at Arith CPU. I'm calling it a night, but I'm having a pretty good time thinking through these puzzles. I got caught up not remembering that I can expand some of those components to up to 8 units. Cows still is kicking my rear end...

SlightlyMad
Jun 7, 2015

Gary’s Answer
I liked the demo on steam. Might buy this even though these kinds of games make me feel dumb. (COWS! Argh!). I like to keep torturing myself I guess. (I have tried TIS-100, Shenzen IO and Spacechem too. Why do I do this to myself?) Good game from the looks of it.

There have been some people showing the game on youtube, like Northernlion and Quill18, but I did not know the developer was a goon. They got me interested in this one first. I will throw my money at you next month probably. You're doing good work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Just dropping in to give my appreciation for the game. Solved cows, now on to the board 2.

Any plans for workshop support?

Canine Blues Arooo posted:

Cows is hard. A couple previous challenges were about 2 or 3 minutes of thinking. Cows is...Well, I'll edit this post when I have a solution.

E1: I have the whole design mapped in my head, but memory starting in a null state is a huge issue for my brain right now.

Yeah, the fact that <initial> is not the same as <zero> really gets in the way of things.

Is this the intended solution:
?
I kinda dislike it because to get to 10 modules I had to make a connection that works and should work no matter how long the thing runs, but still seems icky. It should really be a number module with a constant 0 there.

• Locked thread