Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Inspired by SpaceChem, Silicon Zeroes is a hardware design puzzle game by the creator of Manufactoria. (That's, ah, me.) It's set in a semi-fictional startup at the dawn of modern computing, and takes you from building humble, simple circuits to world-dominating processors.

Preview (Gaming Nexus)

Zach Barth posted:

This is the best game about CPU design that I can imagine existing.

The game's music and sound effects are just about done now. Three weeks to launch, and there's not much left to put in!

It's coming out soon, and I figured that people here might be interested in it, so I'm giving away a few keys:

#1: Taken!
#2: Taken!
#3: Taken!

The game is out now. Let me know what you think!

Discord: Here.

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Sep 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Posting to say I took a key, I'll let you know what I think after playing with it a bit!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

yergacheffe posted:

Posting to say I took a key, I'll let you know what I think after playing with it a bit!

Great! That was the last one, too :)

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

I haven't gotten far (only on 2* levels) but I like what you've got so far. The game is about playing with building blocks in a CPU architecture. Your basic parts are higher level constructs like adders, flip flops, memory readers/writers which you then use to piece together useful CPU parts like counters and muxes. The solutions have been pretty easy so far partly due to the limited amount of building blocks you start with. I'm hoping when more parts unlock things will become more open-ended and getting the ideal solution with minimal parts will be harder.

The concepts are pretty grounded in real world digital design, so it feels very "edutainmenty" to me. I'm guessing the target demographic would be people who are actually studying this kind of stuff?

One last thing: is there some kind of right click menu or something for objects you've saved to the palette? It'd be useful to be able to name some of the stuff you've saved at least.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

yergacheffe posted:

I haven't gotten far (only on 2* levels) but I like what you've got so far. The game is about playing with building blocks in a CPU architecture. Your basic parts are higher level constructs like adders, flip flops, memory readers/writers which you then use to piece together useful CPU parts like counters and muxes. The solutions have been pretty easy so far partly due to the limited amount of building blocks you start with. I'm hoping when more parts unlock things will become more open-ended and getting the ideal solution with minimal parts will be harder.

How far have you gotten?

yergacheffe posted:

The concepts are pretty grounded in real world digital design, so it feels very "edutainmenty" to me. I'm guessing the target demographic would be people who are actually studying this kind of stuff?

I mean, I'm trying to target it at 'people who are interested in puzzles', but you're certainly not the only one to smell edutainment in the air. Probably I'll end up making a variant for the educational market at some point.

yergacheffe posted:

One last thing: is there some kind of right click menu or something for objects you've saved to the palette? It'd be useful to be able to name some of the stuff you've saved at least.

The UI could be more obvious, but at least it isn't core/essential functionality. Here:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Zteuer
Nov 8, 2009
I will definately buy this game when it is released, as I both loved Manufactoria and the Zachtronics games. Really looking forward to the massive headaches!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Zteuer posted:

I will definately buy this game when it is released, as I both loved Manufactoria and the Zachtronics games. Really looking forward to the massive headaches!

Excellent! Looking forward to giving you those headaches :)

overeager overeater
Oct 16, 2011

"The cosmonauts were transfixed with wonderment as the sun set - over the Earth - there lucklessly, untethered Comrade Todd on fire."

Count me in too - Manufactoria was excellent, and I'd really like to see more engineer puzzle-type games.

oh god, is the Malevolence Engine coming back

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Yo this sounds like my jam. I'll buy your game, sir.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

overeager overeater posted:

Count me in too - Manufactoria was excellent, and I'd really like to see more engineer puzzle-type games.

oh god, is the Malevolence Engine coming back

Haha! Not by that name, but there's something very similar.

Mandatory Assembly posted:

Yo this sounds like my jam. I'll buy your game, sir.

I'll be counting on it! :)

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Also, I started a new devlog over on TIGSource a few days ago, and I thought people here might be interested. Not much there so far, but I made a post talking about the design of the new right-click menu yesterday.

If there's any topic people would like me to write about, please ask!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
It's been a few weeks, so I thought people might appreciate a few more keys:

#4: Taken!
#5: Taken!
#6: Taken!

Most of my time has been spent hiring a musician/SFX artist, rewriting big chunks of the story, and getting the game on Steam (those itch.io links now come with associated steam keys!), but there's also a few new puzzles in the 'Asides' area.

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jul 29, 2017

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Grabbed 5, thanks!

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
Oh man, I got completely obsessed with Manufactoria when I first found out about it. This looks awesome.

What release date and price point are you shooting for? The site doesn't have much information on that front.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

PleasingFungus posted:

#6:

Most of my time has been spent hiring a musician/SFX artist, rewriting big chunks of the story, and getting the game on Steam (those itch.io links now come with associated steam keys!), but there's also a few new puzzles in the 'Asides' area.
Took this one, thanks. There was no steam key that I can see, no big deal but FYI.

Some comments:
It didn't take me too long to figure out what to do (maybe 2 minutes), but the very first level could do with a little bit more explanation of what different things are (i.e. the # is the input, "sum" is the output). Explaining the interface a little, like being able to delete connections and move modules, might help too. It's all reasonably discoverable, but that first impression is important. I do appreciate that it's not a hand-holdy tutorial though, and the subsequent levels seem to do a good job of building up concepts. The writing seems good, not too wordy and has enough personality to make me actually read it rather than just click next to the next puzzle.

The "Writer" puzzle took me longer than it should have because it wasn't clear how the module worked. Only just realized hovering over each slot tells you what it does.

Done all the beginning puzzles. Nothing particularly hard yet, but a good intro. Explaining the UI, whether in that intro level or on a help screen is the only thing I'd suggest so far.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Oh man, I got completely obsessed with Manufactoria when I first found out about it. This looks awesome.

What release date and price point are you shooting for? The site doesn't have much information on that front.

I'm aiming for sometime in September, probably the $15-20 range. Will make a more formal announcement once the Steam page is up.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

Took this one, thanks. There was no steam key that I can see, no big deal but FYI.

Some comments:
It didn't take me too long to figure out what to do (maybe 2 minutes), but the very first level could do with a little bit more explanation of what different things are (i.e. the # is the input, "sum" is the output). Explaining the interface a little, like being able to delete connections and move modules, might help too. It's all reasonably discoverable, but that first impression is important. I do appreciate that it's not a hand-holdy tutorial though, and the subsequent levels seem to do a good job of building up concepts. The writing seems good, not too wordy and has enough personality to make me actually read it rather than just click next to the next puzzle.

The "Writer" puzzle took me longer than it should have because it wasn't clear how the module worked. Only just realized hovering over each slot tells you what it does.

Done all the beginning puzzles. Nothing particularly hard yet, but a good intro. Explaining the UI, whether in that intro level or on a help screen is the only thing I'd suggest so far.

All noted down, thanks! I'll see if I can make some simple tweaks to make the UI clearer.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Oh man, this looks neat! I was eyeballing MHRD but this looks much more approachable. I've heard of Manufactoria ages ago, too. How do you even design puzzles for a game like this? Oh, I did want to ask if there were any "visual" puzzles involved (like VFD stuff or TIS-100's Visualization module, or even grander like Shenzhen I/O's CAD) as I always found those particularity fun for whatever reason. Also, are there any narrative elements?

Calef
Aug 21, 2007

Oh my god I have played Manufactoria so many times you are amaziinngggg

If you happen to have any more keys, I would be just the happiest circuit builder

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Doom Goon posted:

How do you even design puzzles for a game like this?

Puzzle design is really tricky, and I don't have any kind of standard approach to it! There's a 'main path' of puzzles, which are focused on building up the concepts needed to make really complex machines, there's custom tutorial puzzles, there's puzzles that started with 'that's an interesting idea. But surely I can't actually build it in the game? No... huh, wait, actually I guess I can make this after all!'

Doom Goon posted:

Oh, I did want to ask if there were any "visual" puzzles involved (like VFD stuff or TIS-100's Visualization module, or even grander like Shenzhen I/O's CAD) as I always found those particularity fun for whatever reason.
Not right now, no. It might be fun to add later, but right now I'm trying to tighten my scope as much as possible to actually get this thing out the door!

Doom Goon posted:

Also, are there any narrative elements?
Yeah, I've actually put a lot of work into that! There's a whole cast of characters that chat with you as you go through the puzzles, an evolving plot, drama, love, betrayal... it's a lot more elaborate than what I've made for previous games, but so far people seem to like it!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Calef posted:

Oh my god I have played Manufactoria so many times you are amaziinngggg

If you happen to have any more keys, I would be just the happiest circuit builder

Thank you! :)

I'm not giving away any more keys right now, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if a few more showed up before launch. :)

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

But surely I can't actually build it in the game? No... huh, wait, actually I guess I can make this after all!'
What's the weirdest puzzle you've designed for it so far (that you'd like to spoil)?

PleasingFungus posted:

Yeah, I've actually put a lot of work into that! There's a whole cast of characters that chat with you as you go through the puzzles, an evolving plot, drama, love, betrayal... it's a lot more elaborate than what I've made for previous games, but so far people seem to like it!
Wow, that's exciting! I've always loved how well Zachtronics and Tomorrow Corporation convey a certain mood. Not that I'd snub a complex game without it of course.

I think I read you got a musician recently? I have a certain fondness for "programming music" if you'd like to share any samples!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Doom Goon posted:

What's the weirdest puzzle you've designed for it so far (that you'd like to spoil)?

One of the ones I'm fondest of is a pretty early one, called 'Spares'. The objective looks like this:

The puzzle gives you access to Subtractors, Readers, Writers, and Latches (as many as you want), and asks you to build a doubler with them.

It's not the hardest puzzle in the game, but it uses parts in a very backwards way. I smile a little whenever I think about it!

For a different take on 'weird'.... much later in the game, there's an optional side puzzle called 'Faux-Reg'. It was originally designed as a tutorial puzzle, but it didn't do the job very well - the first playtesters who tried it were stuck for a very long time, and then both built this insane monstrosity (old programmer art alert!):

I replaced it with another puzzle that does a much better job of teaching the concepts I actually wanted to teach, spun off a few of the ideas from my playtesters' solutions into other side levels, and made 'Faux-Reg' optional.

As I did more playtesting, though, I noticed something really cool: every playtester who went through the puzzle had a different solution for it! Not just little tweaks, but completely different approaches to the puzzle.

I was so impressed that I built support for some of the more interesting variants into the game. After you beat the puzzle once, you get some new text in the level description:

It's totally optional, but hopefully people enjoy messing around with it as much as I did!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

Doom Goon posted:

I think I read you got a musician recently? I have a certain fondness for "programming music" if you'd like to share any samples!

I only hired him a week ago, so we're still in the early stages - I'd rather not share anything quite yet. Soon, though!

BluJay
Oct 1, 2004

I've got my eye on the finish line
I loved Manufactoria! Gonna keep my eye on this one. Love a good puzzle game.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

BluJay posted:

I loved Manufactoria! Gonna keep my eye on this one. Love a good puzzle game.

Thanks! I hope you like it :)

I've been working on smaller unspectacular stuff for the last few weeks, along with some stuff that's not quite ready to show off yet, like the music work I mentioned in my last post. I'll try to push out a new build this week, and probably a few more keys along with it!

For now, have a little post about a silly thing I worked on today.

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
As an EE this game looks amazing! I'll definitely keep my eye on it

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDNywILJMGg

Trailer is up!

More news coming this Saturday.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Looks interesting, I'll keep an eye out (and probably have to juggle my CE capstone to play it!)

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

PleasingFungus posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDNywILJMGg

Trailer is up!

More news coming this Saturday.
Deee-livered! I quite liked the Streets of Rogue music (well, from the free weekend), too!

I think I get the weird example actually because I have a rudimentary understanding of how to convert between logic gates. Maybe! Has there been a puzzle that always seems to be the first "wall" that playtesters hit?

It's got to be one of the strangest things to program a (more or less) programming game. It's pretty meta!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

OAquinas posted:

Looks interesting, I'll keep an eye out (and probably have to juggle my CE capstone to play it!)

Haha! Please do not jeopardize your education for my game.

Doom Goon posted:

Has there been a puzzle that always seems to be the first "wall" that playtesters hit?

There have been a few! It took me a long time to make a good first puzzle for demultiplexers; my earlier attempts were just frustrating and bad. The 'palette' and 'register file' puzzles also really gave people a ton of trouble before I figured out better ways to communicate them.

In the current state ofthe game, I can think of two good candidates. The puzzle 'Accumulate' (the first one involving recursion) tends to really slow people down, especially non-programmers. And then a little later, there's this guy:

It's a 'four-star difficulty' puzzle, in the middle of a board of mostly 2-stars. Most of the other puzzles around take about 8 modules to beat; the best solution I've seen for this one takes nearly twenty.

It's optional, of course, but very good for giving players pause!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
Silicon Zeroes is coming soon on Steam!

In celebration, there's a new release up today. Highlights:
  • Music! (Not all of it, just the first two out of the eight or so tracks planned.)
  • New puzzle in Asides, 'Greater'.
  • A very large number of changes to writing, especially to Asides (which now has flavor!) and the endings.
  • New module editing art.
  • Cost mechanic removed.
  • Pink is now less pink.
  • Exactly one secret feature.
In further celebration, here are a few more keys:
  • Taken!
  • Taken!
  • Taken!
These keys can all be turned into steam keys through itch.io, as can any of the keys I've given out earlier.
EDIT: Apparently itch.io isn't giving out steam keys without money being exchanged, so just email me (pleasingfung@gmail.com) a link to your itch.io profile if you want a Steam key.

I'm really excited, everyone! Release is getting closer and closer...

PleasingFungus fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Aug 13, 2017

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Wow, I got #7! Thanks a ton! I'm, um, actually not that familiar with itch.io, is it okay to download now? There wasn't an option for a Steam key but I'm guessing that's after release?

One month out! Is there a public roadmap somewhere on the dev blog?

I'm getting flashbacks to the first time I tried TIS-100's Signal Multiplier. I don't want to think about that one but now I guess I'll have to!

Doom Goon fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Aug 13, 2017

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

PleasingFungus posted:

Silicon Zeroes is coming soon on Steam!

In celebration, there's a new release up today. Highlights:
  • Music! (Not all of it, just the first two out of the eight or so tracks planned.)
  • New puzzle in Asides, 'Greater'.
  • A very large number of changes to writing, especially to Asides (which now has flavor!) and the endings.
  • New module editing art.
  • Cost mechanic removed.
  • Pink is now less pink.
  • Exactly one secret feature.
In further celebration, here are a few more keys:
These keys can all be turned into steam keys through itch.io, as can any of the keys I've given out earlier.

I'm really excited, everyone! Release is getting closer and closer...

Grabbed #8, thanks! How do I get the steam key?

Watermelon Daiquiri
Jul 10, 2010
I TRIED TO BAIT THE TXPOL THREAD WITH THE WORLD'S WORST POSSIBLE TAKE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS STUPID AVATAR.
booo i missed the keys :( I can't wait to see how my education can fail me!!

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

Grabbed #8, thanks! How do I get the steam key?

According to itch, "Keys will be distributed to a purchaser when they first click the request key button on their purchase page."

Since you didn't buy the game, I'm not exactly sure where that is - maybe the download link? If you can't find it, hm... I'll try to sort something out.

Doom Goon posted:

Wow, I got #7! Thanks a ton! I'm, um, actually not that familiar with itch.io, is it okay to download now? There wasn't an option for a Steam key but I'm guessing that's after release?

One month out! Is there a public roadmap somewhere on the dev blog?

Yeah, download it now and let me know how it goes! :)

A public roadmap is a good idea, and I might put one up in a bit! The situation is pretty straightforward, though. I'm waiting on music & sound effects from my musician, and intro/ending art from my artist. Aside from that, it's all incremental improvement and responses to feedback until release!

(I might slip in a few other fun features in the meanwhile... but no promises.)

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

PleasingFungus posted:

Since you didn't buy the game, I'm not exactly sure where that is - maybe the download link? If you can't find it, hm... I'll try to sort something out.
There doesn't appear to be any option to request a steam key, just a couple links to download the windows and mac versions. It's not a big deal, I can still download it and play, but it'd be nice to be able to add it to Steam when the game is officially released.

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Yeah, it's odd. I think the Steam keys are supposed to be on the download link but there's just the Win and Mac links. I also tried their FAQ's "Recover purchases" link but it just said a request was submitted (and no email... yet?). I wouldn't kill yourself over fixing it for testers or anything, but you might want to double check and make sure it works for real paying folks! Also, the download link worked and ran (and I got a laugh out of getting the Modules Ideal solution by adding 0 to 5) but I'm going to need a bit to get to gaming. I did think it was odd the Sound Effects menu option didn't produce a test sound but it reads like that part is not finalized yet anyway!

Oh, I was Googling around and I'm going to suggest like a slowish gameplay montage trailer if that's not already in the pipeline. Something a bit more Let's Play-y.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

There doesn't appear to be any option to request a steam key, just a couple links to download the windows and mac versions. It's not a big deal, I can still download it and play, but it'd be nice to be able to add it to Steam when the game is officially released.

Definitely. It looks itch.io isn't giving out steam keys without money being exchanged, so just email me (pleasingfung@gmail.com) a link to your itch.io profile if you want a Steam key. Very sorry for the trouble!

Doom Goon posted:

I did think it was odd the Sound Effects menu option didn't produce a test sound but it reads like that part is not finalized yet anyway!

Yeah, sound effects are currently disabled - I have a few implemented, but I consider them too rough to be in the public build.

Doom Goon posted:

Oh, I was Googling around and I'm going to suggest like a slowish gameplay montage trailer if that's not already in the pipeline. Something a bit more Let's Play-y.

It'd make sense to have an actual Let's Player go through the game (I have a pal I could tap for it), if I'm going in that direction.

What made you think of slower trailers? Was there something else you were modelling the idea on?

Doom Goon
Sep 18, 2008

Email sent!

Nothing in particular about the trailer, but I was linking the other one to a buddy and realized it doesn't really show the mission structure or the tip UI (it's more sandboxy which I actually prefer but it doesn't show how it "plays").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

So I've got my Steam key (thanks!) and I've played through the first set and a half of puzzles. I know that's still basically tutorial-land, but so far I'm really liking the game! Even though it's not really a "puzzle", I especially liked how you introduced palettes by pointing the player outside the level.

Since having a key makes me an unofficial beta tester, I should probably report that I've found a couple bugs:
  • The components in the minimap sometimes get flickery when tests are running using the play button. Not sure exactly what scenario causes it but I see it happen pretty often.
  • When you zoom out, the components on the minimap also "zoom out", which I'm pretty sure shouldn't actually happen. Here's an image of what I mean:

The components should stay where they are in the minimap and only the blue rectangle should change size.
On top of that I have a couple of suggestions for UI stuff. It's all really minor nitpicky poo poo but I figure I may as well say something.
  • The four component category buttons should probably have a visible "1", "2" etc on them, just like how the components have a visible "q", "w", and so on. I know you can see the shortcuts by mousing over each category, but it's a consistency thing.
  • There are a couple cases where a new component shows up and the puzzle description doesn't mention it at all, such as with the input selector in Zeroes. It's not a huge deal because the category button still flashes to say "HEY LOOK NEW THING HERE", but I feel like it's a bit odd to have the puzzle description not say anything about it.
  • This is a personal preference, but the screen shake that you get whenever you drop a component seems a little too strong to me. It might be better with a sound attached, but I dunno. Maybe you should add an option to enable or disable it?
  • I dunno how you feel about this, but it might also make sense to add an option for edge scrolling, where you can scroll the field by putting your mouse on the edge of the screen. That might only work in fullscreen mode though.
Overall though, this game looks great and you should be proud of what you've got here. I don't want to delve too far into the game until you've put all the finishing touches on it, but I'll definitely be playing the poo poo out of it when it's officially released. :)

• Locked thread