Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mayodreams
Jul 4, 2003

Hello darkness,
my old friend
I finished season 2 last night, and while I was into it, I found myself rooting for Isiah and Kam to fail. I get that a lot of these kids have a rough background, but these two clearly need to learn when to shut their mouths. While Buddy Stephens world class rear end in a top hat, he is the head coach and taking a principled stand on demanding respect by acting like an entitled whiny poo poo clearly didn't work out for Isiah. Kam's complete lack of effort and pushing the D-Line coach was really frustrating. Clearly Buddy looked the other way because he needed him to play, but I was shocked that Pitt signed him after that drama.

I am actually interested to see how EMCC fares this season after the changes during the offseason. However, I think it's good they feature a new school for season 3.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Buddy Stephens is the worst and I am actively cheering against EMCC after watching both seasons.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.

Ehud posted:

Buddy Stephens is the worst and I am actively cheering against EMCC after watching both seasons.

They made mention of an interesting topic that I had never thought of. These coaches are putting their careers and the livelihood of their families on the line for a bunch of mostly immature degenerate 17, 18 and 19 year olds. That has to be an uneasy feeling.

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

Scionix posted:

buddy stephens is a human toad and i hate him

i dunno how many of yall played high school/college sports but i swear to god blowhard coaches make me so goddamn mad its so clear when they have no idea what to do so they just yell and hope you play better gently caress

Amen. I loving hate these yahoos who just scream a lot and throw tantrums instead of taking a few seconds to actually teach. It's loving infuriating.

That said, I only watch this show because I know for work I'm inevitably going to have to discuss poo poo on the show. I also use it as an example of a lot of the growing problems with public schools' athletics funding, and only working to keeo players eligible to play for them instead of preparing them to actually compete in college. You can tell on this show, overwhelmingly, those guys are only at JUCO because they were never, ever prepared to handle a college schedule. Or challenged to manage their time. Or held accountable for a godamn thing. Just as long as they showed up and made plays on Friday, they could do whatever they want, whenever they want. Then they get to college and flame out and have to take a huge step back. It's loving sad.

I guess I have a very different perspective on this, but I also genuinely feel like a lot of these guys really shouldn't be forced to attend college to pursue a career in athletics, or at least be given access to alternative education at the high school level.

I better stop now or I'll be typing all day and not working.

Also, get ready for season 3 in Kansas! Show is moving to Independence CC, which is currently the home of former FSU QB Malik Henry. If Kam on Season 2 annoyed you... then you better buckle up.

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Doronin posted:

Amen. I loving hate these yahoos who just scream a lot and throw tantrums instead of taking a few seconds to actually teach. It's loving infuriating.

That said, I only watch this show because I know for work I'm inevitably going to have to discuss poo poo on the show. I also use it as an example of a lot of the growing problems with public schools' athletics funding, and only working to keeo players eligible to play for them instead of preparing them to actually compete in college. You can tell on this show, overwhelmingly, those guys are only at JUCO because they were never, ever prepared to handle a college schedule. Or challenged to manage their time. Or held accountable for a godamn thing. Just as long as they showed up and made plays on Friday, they could do whatever they want, whenever they want. Then they get to college and flame out and have to take a huge step back. It's loving sad.

I guess I have a very different perspective on this, but I also genuinely feel like a lot of these guys really shouldn't be forced to attend college to pursue a career in athletics, or at least be given access to alternative education at the high school level.

I better stop now or I'll be typing all day and not working.

Also, get ready for season 3 in Kansas! Show is moving to Independence CC, which is currently the home of former FSU QB Malik Henry. If Kam on Season 2 annoyed you... then you better buckle up.

A lot of this plays back into the Rosen comments too. There's room to restructure the system, I think, and do some real good, but there's no will to mess with the formula.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Also I will never understand how you can be outside in the heat standing up 75% of the day and still be that fat

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true

Scionix posted:

Also I will never understand how you can be outside in the heat standing up 75% of the day and still be that fat

A lot of times coaches will either eat like the players (10k calories/day) when they don't move like the players do, or they eat absolute poo poo any chance they get to stuff food in their faces.

I'm guessing Buddy falls into the class of bog standard southern unhealthy eating habits, though. Too much food, big sodas, fast food the rest of the time.

e: He could also have a thyroid problem. I've seen people with hyperthyroidism with that huge gut, tiny legs thing he's got going on.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I feel like this happened so many times...

*player messes up*

GET OFF THE loving FIELD IF YOU ARE GONNA HALF rear end IT.

*player jogging off* my bad...

I AM SICK OF 'MY BAD'. RUN IT THE RIGHT loving WAY.

yes sir

SHUT UP I DONT WANNA HEAR IT

yes sir

SHUT UP. YOU DONT WANNA BE HERE THEN JUST QUIT.

dang man...

WHAT DID YOU JUST SAY?!

Seriously, Buddy escalated things way further than they needed for absolutely no reason over and over.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

Ask me about how my football team's success determines my self worth, and how I wish I lived in New Orleans.
But he is trying REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY hard not to swear :v:

Doronin
Nov 22, 2002

Don't be scared

kayakyakr posted:

A lot of this plays back into the Rosen comments too. There's room to restructure the system, I think, and do some real good, but there's no will to mess with the formula.

Yep. A lot of things needs to happen, but then I can't help but think - short of just eliminating college football as a virtual requirement to NFL, I don't know where anyone would begin. Aside from paying players for their service to the University. That would be a good start.

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

A minor league/farm/feeder system like every other freaking sport

kayakyakr
Feb 16, 2004

Kayak is true
I'll play because I love playing this game. Goals:

1) Keep college football around as a high-end U-21(ish) league.
2) Players should be paid fairly for their work.
3) Players should have a route to the NFL that does not include college.

Proposal:

Disassociate college football from college itself. The teams are still attached to the colleges, feeding excess income into college athletic departments, but they're operated semi-independently.

Remove academic requirements altogether. Players can still receive a scholarship + stipend and attend college courses, but there's now a path where players can just be paid directly, receive life skills courses, and spend the remainder of their time as if they were in the minor leagues.

This could create a number of athletes who run out of eligibility but can't make it in the professional leagues, so you would either need to limit the number of non-scholar athletes OR integrate a post-college plan for what they're going to do next if they don't make the NFL.

Open up uses for scholarship money + stipend or salary. Includes room & board. Remove a lot of the impermissible benefits BS (limit it to large gifts and cash money). No agents or handlers, but allow earnings from notoriety (charged autographs or YouTube channels). Set stipend and salary nationally with a goal of promoting parity across participating schools.

Create a new oversight association in addition to the NCAA that is just for schools that opt in to the new system. Everyone else plays by FCS rules with more limits on practice time and total program time.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Isaiah and his brother who played/plays? For Indiana got arrested for stabbing a guy to death

weird Asian candy
Aug 23, 2005

sportsgenius86 posted:

Isaiah and his brother who played/plays? For Indiana got arrested for stabbing a guy to death

smdh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

sportsgenius86 posted:

https://twitter.com/bleacherreport/status/908337153389756416

:stonk:

• Locked thread