Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Prism posted:

However, he wasn't the only writer for Brawl because Masahiro Sakurai is also listed as a scenario writer.

Can you be credited for that if your only input was forcing Kirby characters into as many scenes as possible...? Sorry, bad joke.

Update 8: I should probably just ignore the plot completely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ryushikaze
Mar 5, 2013

Ephraim225 posted:

A thread about breaking games? I know the perfect game for this...

Ah, Final Fantasy VIII. When given the task of crafting a successor to the smash hit, Final Fantasy VII, Squaresoft decided that they needed to make something truly different and refreshing. They needed something new. Something with more depth and intrigue than simple weapons and armor, something to make the Materia system look like a bunch of kids playing with marbles...so they produced the horribly unblanaced Junction system! Behold, an RPG with no armor, no accessories, and no actual reason for casting magic spells!

FF8 is completely broken. That doesn't make it a bad game of course, but holy crap. You can wreck the game's difficulty from the very beginning, and in very little time. Naturally that makes it the perfect candidate for a thread about breaking game balance. I'm gonna show you how to massively overpower your characters in very short time, all while employing AI-breaking boss strategies to boot. This LP will not focus on the plot all that much, I'll just show some scenes for context, but if you'd like me to break the plot too, sure, why not!

Update 1: Junction's Function

I have a note on my hard drive, that I've kept since this game came out, for the mathematical best junctioning setups. I've also literally run all of the final dungeon, including the final boss, at single digit health.

FF8 is GLORIOUSLY broken if you know what you're doing.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Ryushikaze posted:

I have a note on my hard drive, that I've kept since this game came out, for the mathematical best junctioning setups.

Did you get 255 in everything? Either way that sounds interesting to me.

cirus
Apr 5, 2011
FF8 suffers greatly from having too much important information in optional dialogue and separating important scenes from each other in different discs. If you look at the way Laguna holds the gunblade in his movie (can be difficult to see depending on your TV), it's the same way Seifer holds his. Thus, you can infer that Seifer watched this movie about the sorceress and her knight as a kid and modeled his whole life after it which explains his motivation. Or you could miss it completely because it's hard to see and only onscreen for a few seconds.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

cirus posted:

FF8 suffers greatly from having too much important information in optional dialogue and separating important scenes from each other in different discs. If you look at the way Laguna holds the gunblade in his movie (can be difficult to see depending on your TV), it's the same way Seifer holds his. Thus, you can infer that Seifer watched this movie about the sorceress and her knight as a kid and modeled his whole life after it which explains his motivation. Or you could miss it completely because it's hard to see and only onscreen for a few seconds.

Also, oh boy thanks for just telling us that Laguna was the one who sealed Adel and not letting us play like every other event.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

I think the worst part about FF8 is that there is an actual interesting storyline in the game, just that we only see snippets of it, and instead have a steaming pile of inconsistencies and dangling plot threads instead. How about that mission of achieving the independence of Timber? Meh. Creepy alien shadowbroker who funded the Gardens? Meh. Need a party member to become possessed by Ultimacia? Let's pick the one female character who HASN'T shown any magical inclination outside of the generic junctioned magics, and not Selphie (With a limit break is all about spamming free magic spells) or Quistis (Who's the blue mage of the game). GFs eat peoples memories? Good thing that only comes up once to hand wave a giant plot hole. Fully functioning combat-capable (The thing was full of oxygen, was fully capable of flight as soon as Squall and Riona cleared it out and was used in the war) space ship left abandoned in orbit and never alluded to until now? drat shame that no country on the planet had the capacity for space flight after the war...

The plot that we got was literally "Crap, I wrote myself into a corner... uh... HANDWAVE! Problem solved": The Game.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Update 9: Omega Cheese

That's the end of that, unless I decide to make a comprehensive analysis of FF8's battle system or something. I have other games to break.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Fun Fact : you can run from the optional boss in the final dungeon of FFVIII

So if you can't be arsed to get the best spells in the game from other means, you can draw them from him

Don't think I saw it mentioned, but there are card players in disc 4 which will use any cards you're missing. Including rare cards (except pupu). This includes cards you've refined, so you basically have unlimited stuff then. Getting to them is a pain though

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Ephraim225 posted:

That's the end of that, unless I decide to make a comprehensive analysis of FF8's battle system or something. I have other games to break.

Beautiful. Thanks for a great lp!

MissileWaster
Jul 2, 2007

Remember that one time you totally botched that snap?

Ephraim225 posted:

You may want to come back and rewrite this update a little bit, now that a new way to break the Omega Weapon fight has been found :v:

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

cirus posted:

This is very very true. FF8 is this weird case where I actually really like the story, and I think a lot more people would too if the storytelling wasn't made so optional.

It's completely possible to miss that Squall is actually really astute and surprisingly well spoken because a LOT of the scenes that demonstrate this are optional. There's a scene where Squall argues his personal philosophy for the use of force, and you get it by staying in one room and talking to an NPC after you've been told to leave because there's a boss outside. There's a scene where Squall intuits a cultural nuance, and you're given the option to have him not bother to say it out loud. There's a scene where Squall is able to get ahead of the conversation and figures out where a dude's musing is going to go before the dude himself does, and that's in an incredibly obscure sidequest that's easy to permanently miss.

I really wish that FF8 frontloaded into the mandatory scenes all the bits where Squall demonstrates his competence and intellect instead of focusing on all the scenes where he's mopey with his abandonment issues. Basically Leon from Kingdom Hearts is actually an incredibly accurate picture of Squall with his poo poo together, and it's sad that's not the memory Square let people take away from FF8.

That's not even counting all the really important plot stuff that was only released after the fact in Ultimania to explain, for instance, the motivations of the main villain.

I love me some FF8, but FF8 is the game that really needs to be remade. FF7 was quite fine how it was.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

MissileWaster posted:

You may want to come back and rewrite this update a little bit, now that a new way to break the Omega Weapon fight has been found :v:

That's glitch abuse. :(

Omnicrom posted:

This is very very true. FF8 is this weird case where I actually really like the story, and I think a lot more people would too if the storytelling wasn't made so optional.

I don't hate everything FF8 is trying to do but it felt very much like a mess. I'm probably not gonna get over stuff like the Ragnarok flying right in front of Squall and Rinoa for seemingly no reason, or Griever in general. I actually liked how the Squall/Rinoa romance came together, it's just everything else was so completely off the wall.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Thanks for the excellent playthrough, Ephraim! Honestly, all those features like crafting cards into items and items into magic and junctioning them into your stats seem really cool, and I'd love to see something like them in another RPG. It's just a shame that FF8 doesn't really provide many opportunities to actually use them aside from one or two optional superbosses. But then, I guess that's true for more than one Final Fantasy.

Oh, and thanks for keeping my thread somewhat alive. :v:

Speaking of which, sorry to everyone for the long, long delay on the Morrowind playthrough. I've been trying to make myself finish the commentary on it, but I'm unemployed and job searching and just generally kind of depressed and getting distracted by other games like Phantasy Star Online 2 *cough* so anyway, I haven't really been on top of it. I'll see if I can get something out soon.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010

Ephraim225 posted:

That's glitch abuse. :(

I don't hate everything FF8 is trying to do but it felt very much like a mess. I'm probably not gonna get over stuff like the Ragnarok flying right in front of Squall and Rinoa for seemingly no reason, or Griever in general. I actually liked how the Squall/Rinoa romance came together, it's just everything else was so completely off the wall.

I kinda feel like the Ragnarok thing could have been handwaved as automated rescue systems set to detect lifeforms outside the ship, but the point there is that the game doesn't even attempt that much of an explanation.

I still feel like the Squall/Rinoa thing is completely out of left field but that's a casualty of Square doing too well of a job of establishing that Squall is an arrogant, nihilistic douche, and a really lovely job of revealing that he really isn't, that's his defense mechanism and he's really just super fuckin' insecure. Which makes much of his later actipns make zero goddamn sense.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Also, high-five fellow unemployed/depressed/job searching buddy. :(

Keep the faith, man.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

Thanks for the excellent playthrough, Ephraim! Honestly, all those features like crafting cards into items and items into magic and junctioning them into your stats seem really cool, and I'd love to see something like them in another RPG. It's just a shame that FF8 doesn't really provide many opportunities to actually use them aside from one or two optional superbosses. But then, I guess that's true for more than one Final Fantasy.

Those features really drew me in, and breaking the game really was fun. I wish FFX did something similar, it's not nearly as broken but has plenty of superbosses.

Hah, no problem. I can keep it alive longer if you like, Arena is just fascinating me with what you can do in it - it's surprising coming from the first TES.

Zeniel
Oct 18, 2013

Speaking of which, sorry to everyone for the long, long delay on the Morrowind playthrough. I've been trying to make myself finish the commentary on it, but I'm unemployed and job searching and just generally kind of depressed and getting distracted by other games like Phantasy Star Online 2 *cough* so anyway, I haven't really been on top of it. I'll see if I can get something out soon.

All good man, you do you first, lps come second. If it's any consolation, your lp is really good and I'm really looking forward to the next part. There's just something about watching someone expertly playthough Morrowind that I find really relaxing.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
FF8's biggest issue is how little of the story is contained on the 4 discs. It certainly feels like you switch discs a lot sooner than you did in 7. There are a ton of random side quest areas, including one whole town Ephraim didn't show off. They tried to show a lot more "slice-of-life" stuff I think, and the game suffers for it. They wanted a "mature" storyline to go with their more mature graphics, but that backfires once NORG shows up.

As stupid as he was, at least Sephiroth is introduced and explained in the game he's in. Ultimecia is just fodder for fan theories (like her being Rinoa, with the whole my rear endGriever GF thing)

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015
Yeah, staying alive unfortunately has to take priority over LPs. Here's hoping you get through this mess in one piece, and soon!

Incidentally, regarding the Morrowind LP itself: Do trainers count as level grinding in Elder Scrolls games in your book?

Death Zebra
May 14, 2014

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

As stupid as he was, at least Sephiroth is introduced and explained in the game he's in. Ultimecia is just fodder for fan theories (like her being Rinoa, with the whole my rear endGriever GF thing)

Wild Arms 3 does the same thing but arguably worse. IIRC the overarching villain isn't introduced until 3 dungeons from the end. You notice them in the background if you're replaying and know what to look for but it's little more than an easter egg.

Funnily enough it also has memory erased protagonists, equippable GF equivalents with attachable abilities, a world map with a continent linking railroad, a UFO sidequest, and a castle final dungeon which is like nothing else in the game.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Death Zebra posted:

Wild Arms 3 does the same thing but arguably worse. IIRC the overarching villain isn't introduced until 3 dungeons from the end. You notice them in the background if you're replaying and know what to look for but it's little more than an easter egg.

Funnily enough it also has memory erased protagonists, equippable GF equivalents with attachable abilities, a world map with a continent linking railroad, a UFO sidequest, and a castle final dungeon which is like nothing else in the game.

On the other hand Wild Arms 3 also has much stronger character focused writing than FF8, and the thematic content of the game is such that you really didn't necessarily need the overarching main villain to show up until the very end. And while the mainest of the main villains is only introduced super late she's actually the fourth main villain the game brings out and she shows up in part because you've already gone and killed your way through the first three. Moreover Wild Arms 3 isn't like FF8 where the villain is distant even when acting via proxy, you have NUMEROUS direct fights with the current antagonists as you progress through the game.

Oddly what Wild Arms 3 fails at is the opposite inverse of Final Fantasy 8. The real flaws of Wild Arms 3 are in its setting and its small supporting cast, whereas FF8 is overflowing with interesting locales and characters. The best parts of FF8 are all in the periphery of the main storyline, whereas Wild Arms 3 ends up lacking the same periphery.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

CptWedgie posted:

Incidentally, regarding the Morrowind LP itself: Do trainers count as level grinding in Elder Scrolls games in your book?
Hmm, interesting question. If they're being used in the typical way, probably not, as they generally tend to cap out at pretty mediocre levels. There is a trick, of course, to train your skills up to 100 with any trainer incredibly cheaply, which would definitely fall into the grinding camp. I'm going to show that off eventually, but only after I've proven that I don't really need to (because having to fortify my skills to do anything is gonna get old at some point), and I'm not going to use any trainers before then as sort of a point of personal pride. And because I don't really need to anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CptWedgie
Jul 19, 2015

Hmm, interesting question. If they're being used in the typical way, probably not, as they generally tend to cap out at pretty mediocre levels. There is a trick, of course, to train your skills up to 100 with any trainer incredibly cheaply, which would definitely fall into the grinding camp. I'm going to show that off eventually, but only after I've proven that I don't really need to (because having to fortify my skills to do anything is gonna get old at some point), and I'm not going to use any trainers before then as sort of a point of personal pride. And because I don't really need to anyway.

I'm familiar with the exploit in question (and am, in fact, guilty of using it myself a time or two); I was primarily asking because I was wondering if it'd be shown off in your LP (without actually saying flat-out that it existed, to avoid spoiling those who're unfamiliar with it- admittedly, that group's probably primarily composed of people who've never played Morrowind, but it's the principle of the matter, dammit). Since it apparently will make an appearance someday, then I'll stop at your confirmation of its existence.

• Locked thread