Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Let's Break Megathread

Are you tired of Let's Plays where people play the game like a normal person, refusing to take advantage of bugs, glitches, and/or exploits in order to completely trivialize the game? Do you take a perverse delight in seeing otherwise good and balanced games stripped down and humiliated for an audience? Then this is just the thread for you! The Let's Break Megathread is a place for all sorts of LPs that might not necessarily be suited to their own proper thread, but all share the same general idea: breaking the poo poo out of games.

Things that I'm thinking about here:
  • Exploiting bugs and general design oversights to throw balance out the window
  • More literally break the game by showing off various more horrible glitches
  • Maybe a tasteful use of GameShark codes and the like, if they're interesting

Things that are not-so-great:
  • Just grinding levels or whatever to get power. Boring.
  • Using cheat codes or GameShark to just enable god mode. You still have to work for it!

Some excellent examples of Let's Break:

Also, don't feel the need to do an actual complete LP here! One-off updates to show off some silly bug are fine, and highly encouraged. Also, screenshot updates are perfectly welcome as well, but please use the SSLP Test Poster to post a link to them instead of posting them directly in the thread.

And with that introduction out of the way, let me move on directly to my contribution to the thread...

So, Morrowind is one of my favorite games, and there have been a few threads about it here every now and again. Most of them have at least made an attempt to play the game the way it was "intended" to be played, not exploiting any major bugs or balance oversights or anything.

But that's not my Morrowind.

In my Morrowind, I'm an immortal, sociopathic god-king who leaps across the land like Michael Jordan in Space Jam, brewing potions that make me basically invincible and let me cast unbelievably powerful spells, and trapping the souls of powerful daedra so I can use them to make enchanted pairs of pants. Though for the most part, I just steal poo poo.

So I'm going to be doing my own playthrough of Morrowind, and I'm going to be doing things my way, doing my best to break things apart and accumulate as much wealth and power as possible. But in the interest of fairness (and making the game interesting to watch for more than ten minutes), I won't be using every bug available to me. There are ways to permanently buff your stats into the tens of thousands, or to make potions that do the same thing for several in-game years, but in the interest of keeping things sporting, I won't be doing either of those. But don't you worry, I will be making some overpowered potions later. Just reasonably so. Mostly.

Also, I'll be playing completely unpatched, so if you happen to be playing along with a megamod pack, you might notice some discrepancies. (For one, the orcs in Ghorak Manor might beat the poo poo out of you if you try stealing from them.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lzYgNPtHemM
Let's Break Morrowind 01 - This Is A Journey Into Money

In this first episode, I'm mostly just stealing things, just to build up a nice little financial base off of which to springboard my future efforts. But you can see several tricks of the trade I'll be using to steal things in the future, as well as where we'll be fencing off all of those stolen goods.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

First post reserved, also mods please change thread tag to potions ty

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Category: Howto & Style.

Somebody, show the broken sword crafting in the original Gothic. It's a process through which you only use money to train skills, while all other purchases are funded by giving people piles of basic swords in return.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
This is interesting. Wish I had known about this "breaking"-stuff back when I was playing Morrowind. Makes me wonder if I should try breaking Skyrim?

(Nah, I already keep doing enough stuff after work that I have serious trouble with getting enough sleep, but it's a nice idea.)

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Morrowind wouldn't be Morrowind without having enough strength to carry every object in the game in your packs.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

SelenicMartian posted:

Category: Howto & Style.
I'm showing how to break Morrowind, and I'm doing it in style.

McTimmy posted:

Morrowind wouldn't be Morrowind without having enough strength to carry every object in the game in your packs.
I'll be dealing with my carry weight in the next episode. Personally, my preferred style is to carry every object in the game at my normal lovely strength and still be at 0/150 anyway. You move faster that way.

ParTwo
Mar 5, 2013

I'm making it rain-Bo!
I was one of one of those people who got interested in TES after Skyrim happened and sucked me in so I've been interested in how busted the older TES games were. Looking forward to this one.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

flarp22 posted:

I was one of one of those people who got interested in TES after Skyrim happened and sucked me in so I've been interested in how busted the older TES games were. Looking forward to this one.
Conversely, I've never played any of the later games. so it'd be great to see somebody to a Let's Break of Skyrim or Oblivion. As long as it isn't too much "casting a spell at nothing 500 times to raise magic skills" or "crafting 100,000 iron daggers".

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
I love to exploit in RPGs, I'll be following this.

GalenEvil
Apr 22, 2014

The Wu-Tang Secret posted:

Conversely, I've never played any of the later games. so it'd be great to see somebody to a Let's Break of Skyrim or Oblivion. As long as it isn't too much "casting a spell at nothing 500 times to raise magic skills" or "crafting 100,000 iron daggers".

The last time I broke Skyrim it was due to a mod that let me drag bodies around more easily. I think it just lowered the mass of a lot of physics objects so when I started a new game one of the carts hit a bump or something and went flying, dragging the horse with it. it tumbled and tumbled, never fully righting itself and completely broke that heavily scripted opening. Everything was fine after temporarily removing the mod until after exiting Helgan though, so it wasn't too game breaking and just a bit inconvenient to deal with.

I'm sure there are videos on YouTube showcasing verious physics freak outs. Another that comes to mind is killing yourself by clipping into a veggie cart and it flying into a wall shortly before flying into the player at Mach stupidfast :D

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Libluini posted:

Makes me wonder if I should try breaking Skyrim?

Skyrim isn't nearly as exciting to break. You just get really big numbers and you have to assure the audience that when you hit that bandit it did ten million damage. You can't fortify speed and jump and stuff like that in Skyrim, perhaps because of the kind of crap OP will pull.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Bigger damage numbers do mean more physics force on objects you hit, but flinging cabbages around like a pinball gets old quick.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I enjoy this thread and all the posts contained within.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Isn't there a glitch in the earlier versions of Skyrim that lets you walk through walls by using a bowl?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

senrath posted:

Isn't there a glitch in the earlier versions of Skyrim that lets you walk through walls by using a bowl?
Yeah.

And don't forget the classic "Put a bucket on the shopkeeper's head and steal all of their poo poo because they can't loving see you" trick.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Don't worry, it's perfectly possible to get through walls in Morrowind too.

It's annoying to constantly fall through the world though.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I'm looking forward to this. The only thing I did to break Morrowind was to make a cheap pair of levitation shoes to help with traveling. :shobon:

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Fat Samurai posted:

I'm looking forward to this. The only thing I did to break Morrowind was to make a cheap pair of levitation shoes to help with traveling. :shobon:

In Oblivion I once found an item giving me something silly like +1000 to the jump skill. I thought "Cool, easy traveling!" and then killed myself by instantly jumping into orbit and crashing down at lethal velocity. :shepface:

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Morrowind has that, too; the Scrolls of Icarian Flight. Coupled with an item/spell of Feather Falling, they can be both a decent method of travel and a way to impersonate Golden Age Superman. They're introduced by the wizard who created them, who has basically the same experience you did. He literally falls out of the sky and "lands" directly in front of you if you leave Seyda Neen from the correct direction.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I've never played Morrowind and the other LPs I've seen are so hard to get into, this is what I need to finally experience it properly.

I'm losing my poo poo at the Boots of Blinding Speed. And the half-blindness. This game makes too much sense holy poo poo!

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Simply Simon posted:

This game makes too much sense holy poo poo!
Nah, the boots should have given you half-blinding speed wherein one foot makes a normal step and the other one shoots forward.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

Terry Pratchett mentioned that in one of his books: Seven League Boots that let you walk massive distances in a single step are great, but they play merry hell with the crotch.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Kaboom Dragoon posted:

Terry Pratchett mentioned that in one of his books: Seven League Boots that let you walk massive distances in a single step are great, but they play merry hell with the crotch.
I never thought of this before, but imagine if Sir Terry had written Elder Scrolls novels :monocle:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

An Elder Scroll has a knob on the end...

Broken Box
Jan 29, 2009

Commander Keene posted:

Morrowind has that, too; the Scrolls of Icarian Flight. Coupled with an item/spell of Feather Falling, they can be both a decent method of travel and a way to impersonate Golden Age Superman. They're introduced by the wizard who created them, who has basically the same experience you did. He literally falls out of the sky and "lands" directly in front of you if you leave Seyda Neen from the correct direction.

The wizard 'Tarhiel'. One of Morrowind's developers went to Duke and tends to throw in jabs at UNC in a few of the weirder easter eggs of the game, such as acquiring those scrolls or one of the better swords of the game through obscure means.

Interestingly enough you can actually save him from falling, if you toss an area of effect slowfall spell close enough to hit him with it before he hits the ground. Unless you avoid the area until you specifically create such a spell it's unlikely to be something a player can pull off in a typical playthough, but I've done it before. And then lured him to my house manor with command spells to keep him around as a trophy.

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️
Ah, my favorite game to break of all time, at level 1.
1. Alchemy is completely broken to hell and back to the point I consider it to be outright cheating.
2. Atronach sign is godly.
3. Scrolls from Mage's guild alone is game-breaking.
4. Steal the entire set of top tier light glass armor right under the nose of the blacksmith at Ghostgate.
5. Ordinators at Vivec are respawning walking sacks of 34K gold. 2 soulrot scrolls will from #3 will convert them from the former to the latter.
6. Constant effect +4 health/sec, +2 fatigue regen/sec ring of everlasting life

Palladium fucked around with this message at 18:20 on Aug 3, 2017

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

Alright, I'm just gonna blow my backlog load already and post episode 2.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSphpRyldRE
Let's Break Morrowind 02 - Fibonacci Spiral

In this episode, I take a brief trip to Mournhold to get all sorts of useful tools (and make my breakout acting debut), and then we get to the actual meat of breaking the game. Spoiler alert: it's alchemy.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

it's always alchemy.

The Wu-Tang Secret
Nov 28, 2004

double nine posted:

it's always alchemy.
Honestly, being able to buy thousands of ingredients at once is the most broken part of it. If I had to do that poo poo five pieces at a time, I wouldn't bother. Not that that would do anything to stop me from making superpowered potions by fortifying my Alchemy skill by 800 points.

Delvio
Sep 14, 2007
I am honestly surprised that you did not do the intelligence potion loop trick. That one was always my favorite.

Algo.
Oct 3, 2009
I remember discovering alchemy and infinite supplies myself and it ruined my game completely :v:

MJ12
Apr 8, 2009

Delvio posted:

I am honestly surprised that you did not do the intelligence potion loop trick. That one was always my favorite.

Morrowind is actually a simulator of the science fiction Singularity via the power of iterative self-improvement. Via Alchemy.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The singularity (patch 1.1 hotfix 3) was a marred and blasted hellscape ruled by those who rubbed face at a specific geometric configuration building up speed until they could move at imperceptible velocities.

Eventually the singularity came to an abrupt and explosive end when when a group calling itself 'SS13' brought its reality to implode using potato chips and water.

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Aug 6, 2017

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The singularity (patch 1.1 hotfix 3) was a marred and blasted hellscape ruled by those who rubbed face at a specific geometric configuration building up speed until they could move at imperceptible velocities.

Eventually the singularity came to an abrupt and explosive end when when a group calling itself 'SS13' brought its reality to implode using potato chips and water.

Do not be afraid of the lunatic with a shotgun, but fear the person with a few simple tools and a clever gleam in their eyes.

Morrowind works the same way, only I guess the shotgun is enchanting every bit of your outfit to shoot death spells.

copy
Jul 26, 2007

One of my favorite things to do was enchant a ring with constant effect -1 hp/sec, then sell that ring to a merchant. If they don't have a ring on they equip it, eventually die, and then you take all their things, and nobody suspects you of murder. It's the perfect crime.

I never played around with alchemy much when I played it back in the day, but everything I've seen since then demonstrates how stupidly broken it is. I'm excited for this LP to show more many more different ways to break this beautiful game.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
All I ever figured out when I was a kid playing Oblivion was to make a spell with Charm Person 100, Touch, Duration: one second. Make anybody your friend for long enough to get their stuff cheap.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I think the most breaking I ever did with an ES game was making a set of 5 armor pieces in Oblivion that each had 20% chameleon. For anyone unfamiliar with Oblivion, chameleon is a partial invisibility spell but unlike regular invisibility it doesn't break when you interact with a thing. As an effect on armor, it stacks, meaning with all five bits of 20% armor I was completely invisible all the time. It was kind of boring after a while tbh.

I love Morrowind but it is extremely hard to get back into after the QoL improvements from newer games.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames

Grizzwold posted:

I think the most breaking I ever did with an ES game was making a set of 5 armor pieces in Oblivion that each had 20% chameleon. For anyone unfamiliar with Oblivion, chameleon is a partial invisibility spell but unlike regular invisibility it doesn't break when you interact with a thing. As an effect on armor, it stacks, meaning with all five bits of 20% armor I was completely invisible all the time. It was kind of boring after a while tbh.

I love Morrowind but it is extremely hard to get back into after the QoL improvements from newer games.

Oh, poo poo. I remember that! I did that too. I think we probably ended up on the same 'breaking Oblivion' page, which unfortunately I can't find now. Something about making hosed up strong magic that yo couldn't manage normally if you took a really good potion first.

Tuxedo Ted
Apr 24, 2007

I'm going to end up reinstalling this game before the thread reaches page three, I know it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
Yes, I too steal all the light sources in the game I can. Then I use them to light up every corner of my house. No one may have light but me!

• Locked thread