Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
"As is traditional, we’ll also have a wide range of Gem Store sales to celebrate the anniversary, and maybe even a few freebies to collect (spoiler: mount skin)."

https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/studio-update-guild-wars-2-tenth-anniversary-and-steam-launch-on-august-23/

The gemstore doesn't always update at the same time as everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I know so many people that are really excited about Guild Wars 2 launching on Steam today, none of them are aware of how toxic the Steam userbase can get. Very much will be hiding chat for awhile until the launch calms down.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Phoix posted:

Shield owns

Yeah I picked up the shield and GS before I knew I'd only get 2 total.

GS because so many use it and the shield design rips rear end, even though I don't use it often.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

I said come in! posted:

I know so many people that are really excited about Guild Wars 2 launching on Steam today, none of them are aware of how toxic the Steam userbase can get. Very much will be hiding chat for awhile until the launch calms down.

I don't understand this comment, so what if you launch it via steam or from the gw2 launcher?

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

BadLlama posted:

I don't understand this comment, so what if you launch it via steam or from the gw2 launcher?

Steam will ideally bring in a lot of new people.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Kind of a bummer that the decade achievements are just "uhhh go do a bunch of events and poo poo" rather than anything the slightest bit engaging.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

The existing gw2 user base is largely made of people who are steam users

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?
I want to check out the updated leveling experience to see how much less it sucks. Dare I brave the starter zones?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).
Yeah, "Steam User" is not a community.

If your experiences with steam users are negative it is because the games you are playing are fostering bad communities.

I have played SWTOR, STO, PoE, EQ2 as far as MMORPGs go through steam and none of those have bad communities.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

And gw2 has a nicer community than most MMOs because the gameplay fosters and rewards cooperation

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Thirsty Dog posted:

The existing gw2 user base is largely made of people who are steam users

This is what was confusing me, name any online game and I figure 90% of the users also have steam as steam owns the market on whatever the steam product is

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

Steam is still the de facto PC gaming platform, despite Epic's attempts over the years to chip away at them with exclusivity deals and free games. I don't think you can really derive anything from "Steam user" other than "plays games on a computer"

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Blessed be the steam review

quote:

I don't know man, all the high end characters look ridiculous. Everyone has wings and everything has a glow effect. It looks like im at a rave in the middle of the slums in a medieval village. Aesthetically TESO looks far better. This just looks like everyone is made of chinese fireworks.

And for that I'm out.

quote:

I have almost 20k hours between Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 combined and the best advice I can give you after 17 years with this franchise is: do not give a single dime to this developer.
Play for free. They don't deserve your money in microtransactions.

The developer of this game - ArenaNet is exceptionally stubborn and doesn't listen to player's feedback. They bend only under the pressure of unquestionable criticism and scandals that blow up on Reddit.

Recently, it even turned out that specific devlopers are playing favorites in the context of balance of certain character classes. You don't play their favourite class? Too bad, you're going to have a hard time having fun.

Every time they make a design decision they go one step forward and two steps back - be prepared that the game WILL push you into content you don't enjoy because of their design philosophy. It's either "their way" or the highway. We as a community fell for their promises way too many times.

The only positive thing about Guild Wars 2 Steam realease is that ArenaNet can't "curate" negative opinions here like they do on official forums so the truth about the state of this game will eventually come out.

I used to love this franchise but ArenaNet has ruinded it for me with their shenanigans.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
double post but whatever...
Mukluk and Teapot both have insane viewer counts, 12k and 9.5k respectively.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

bengy81 posted:

double post but whatever...
Mukluk and Teapot both have insane viewer counts, 12k and 9.5k respectively.

If you're wanting a smaller less active chat, I always like watching https://twitch.tv/aurorapeachy and https://twitch.tv/Laranity for Guild Wars 2 content.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

quote:

I have almost 20k hours between Guild Wars and Guild Wars 2 combined and the best advice I can give you after 17 years with this franchise is: do not give a single dime to this developer.
Play for free. They don't deserve your money in microtransactions.

loving amazing. So they made something that this dude spent 2 of his last 17 years doing, like 2 actual, full years worth of time. And he's been doing it for what must be a good portion of his life... and he doesn't think it's worth spending any money on? It's that terrible, really? That's above and beyond the best return you could possibly ask for from an entertainment product. What a loving pathetic man baby lmao

"I've spent 2/3rds of my life playing Anet products and they're the worst things ever! I hated every second of it and they're mean poopie heads. I'll post more details after I'm done with the daily fractals! "

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Aug 23, 2022

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."

Hakarne posted:

loving amazing. So they made something that this dude spent 2 of his last 17 years doing, like 2 actual, full years worth of time. And he's been doing it for what must be a good portion of his life... and he doesn't think it's worth spending any money on? It's that terrible, really? That's above and beyond the best return you could possibly ask for from an entertainment product. What a loving pathetic man baby lmao

"I've spent 2/3rds of my life playing Anet products and they're the worst things ever! I hated every second of it and they're mean poopie heads. I'll post more details after I'm done with the daily fractals! "

Hell, most of the negative reviews are people whinging that they can't link their old accounts to steam.

It doesn't even make a difference whatsoever.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

All you have to do is change something in the launch options, supposedly, to be able to use your old account.

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.

jokes posted:

All you have to do is change something in the launch options, supposedly, to be able to use your old account.

Note that if you do this, any DLC bought through Steam will not be active for the old account. It doesn't tie your old account to your Steam account in any way.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I'm only going to do it so I can play it easily via my Steam Deck.

Mohawk Potato
Jan 15, 2008

Alright another question whats the best way to level trade skills my new char has hit a wall where all I can build for exp anymore are these wooden dowls that uh don't do anything they say the make the new gear have different stats but I don't see how

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Mohawk Potato posted:

Alright another question whats the best way to level trade skills my new char has hit a wall where all I can build for exp anymore are these wooden dowls that uh don't do anything they say the make the new gear have different stats but I don't see how

GW2crafts.net will show you the cheapest route to level. Generally, it's some variation of make X of the highest inscription you can, discover an item to make with it and make all X of them.

Actuarial Fables
Jul 29, 2014

Taco Defender
New thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4010658

Hello Sailor
May 3, 2006

we're all mad here

Mohawk Potato posted:

The inscription or insignia you use for making a weapon or piece of armor determines the stats it boosts.

For example, a steel sword requires a steel sword hilt, a steel sword blade, and a <prefix> seasoned inscription or a <prefix> steel plated inscription. There are 15 different inscriptions you could use; for example, a "Hunter's Seasoned Inscription" or a "Ravaging Seasoned Inscription", which are both made with seasoned wood dowel but different secondary items (claw and venom sac, respectively).

The hunter's inscription increases your precision and power stats. The ravaging inscription increases your condition damage and precision stats.

All 15 different types of steel swords are separate discoverable recipes.

MajorBonnet posted:

GW2crafts.net will show you the cheapest route to level. Generally, it's some variation of make X of the highest inscription you can, discover an item to make with it and make all X of them.

Was going to recommend this myself, but the site appears to be down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

nesaM killed Masen

Thanks, closing this.