Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."
Many of us at work, work offsite on a VPN. We receive our updates over VPN. This includes the VPN software update. Which starts out by uninstalling the VPN client then downloading the new version, this works about as well as you would expect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

John Big Booty posted:

That is a poo poo sandwich where the bread is also poo poo and all they had was Miracle Whip.

Its more of a poo poo fire hose imo

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

The XKCD Larper posted:

Client trusted Godaddy to set up their Wordpress site

Peter Daou?

duTrieux.
Oct 9, 2003

ShinsoBEAM! posted:

Many of us at work, work offsite on a VPN. We receive our updates over VPN. This includes the VPN software update. Which starts out by uninstalling the VPN client then downloading the new version, this works about as well as you would expect.

but you see, it's more efficient to replace standalone software installation packages with streaming frontends because

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
one of our clients needed programmatic access to our invoice data but never told us that

instead two of their programmers spent a month writing a script to scrape it out of the pdfs we sent them

when we changed our pdf template it broke and they complained

it took us 10 minutes to change the code to export a csv file once they told us

Angela Merkle Tree
Jan 4, 2012

the definition of open: "mkdir android ; cd android ; repo init -u git://android.git.kernel.org/platform/manifest.git ; repo sync ; make"
College Slice
double post

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

this fits the theme of the thread please restore

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

locked out due to bad password attempts on a work laptop

password reset (in house webapp) requires vpn connection

cannot get on vpn due to being locked out

:thunk:

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Angela Merkle Tree posted:

one of our clients needed programmatic access to our invoice data but never told us that

instead two of their programmers spent a month writing a script to scrape it out of the pdfs we sent them

when we changed our pdf template it broke and they complained

it took us 10 minutes to change the code to export a csv file once they told us

tbf those programmers should have asked the question rather than going head-first into scraping content out of pdfs

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

a few jobs ago there was a team that handled ordering parts for all the small companies we sold to. every week these two women would print out this ancient 10 meg excel file and go through it with a ruler, line by line, and make written notes of what needed ordering and how many. naturally they'd gently caress it up constantly and we'd have 100,000 pieces of stuff we only needed 10,000 a year of but be like 50,000 pieces behind on others

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cat Face Joe posted:

a few jobs ago there was a team that handled ordering parts for all the small companies we sold to. every week these two women would print out this ancient 10 meg excel file and go through it with a ruler, line by line, and make written notes of what needed ordering and how many. naturally they'd gently caress it up constantly and we'd have 100,000 pieces of stuff we only needed 10,000 a year of but be like 50,000 pieces behind on others

You're 50,000 pieces behind on your "making good posts" quota.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Schadenboner posted:

You're 50,000 pieces behind on your "making good posts" quota.

i never signed off on those t&cs

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Cat Face Joe posted:

i never signed off on those t&cs

49,999 behind.

ShinsoBEAM!
Nov 6, 2008

"Even if this body of mine is turned to dust, I will defend my country."

kloa posted:

locked out due to bad password attempts on a work laptop

password reset (in house webapp) requires vpn connection

cannot get on vpn due to being locked out

:thunk:

hey you have 3 attempts, and it only has to be changed every 30 days despite you using it only 2 times a month

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i am not a computer toucher and my employer isnt technology adjacent but i guarantee they are more inefficient than any place youve ever seen

its difficult to accurately convey their dedication to inefficiency with words but as an example there is the group which handles the primary task of the business. the problem is that our processes arent good at all and as a matter of course a good percentage of orders are hosed up

the solution to that was not to work on addressing inefficiencies in our processes which allow for fuckups but instead to create a second group whose job it is to do the exact same job as the main group but for customers who are important and just try harder to not gently caress up

unfortunately after a few years our customers caught on that this special group hosed up at about the same rate as the everyone else so they created a special group out of the first special group that was for customers who are important but also know that the other special group sucks

its now up to four groups within groups all doing exactly the same job in exactly the same way with just a different name so that our outside customers dont catch on to our incompetence its turtles all the way down

im not exaggerating when i say the entire organization is a monument to inefficiency. id say 80% of the back office stuff exists only to manually correct for a process flaw or manually do something a computer could be programmed to do. i have a coworker who has completely automated his job using only excel macros

theres so much more but honestly its the totality of the dedication to not addressing the core problems that is breathtaking. i absolutely love it b/c im a huge fan of institutional incompetence

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

well if you corrected the flaw people wouldn't have jobs and they'd get made redundant

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

well if you corrected the flaw people wouldn't have jobs and they'd get made redundant

that is the official line yes

at a process improvement meeting just last month after listening to suggestions for improvement for a couple hours the manager running the meeting said "you will all be a lot happier when you realize that we are not going to fix anything"

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

LastInLine posted:

lmao

LastInLine posted:

the manager running the meeting said "you will all be a lot happier when you realize that we are not going to fix anything"

also lmao

The XKCD Larper
Mar 1, 2009

by Lowtax

LastInLine posted:

i am not a computer toucher and my employer isnt technology adjacent but i guarantee they are more inefficient than any place youve ever seen

its difficult to accurately convey their dedication to inefficiency with words but as an example there is the group which handles the primary task of the business. the problem is that our processes arent good at all and as a matter of course a good percentage of orders are hosed up

the solution to that was not to work on addressing inefficiencies in our processes which allow for fuckups but instead to create a second group whose job it is to do the exact same job as the main group but for customers who are important and just try harder to not gently caress up

unfortunately after a few years our customers caught on that this special group hosed up at about the same rate as the everyone else so they created a special group out of the first special group that was for customers who are important but also know that the other special group sucks

its now up to four groups within groups all doing exactly the same job in exactly the same way with just a different name so that our outside customers dont catch on to our incompetence its turtles all the way down

im not exaggerating when i say the entire organization is a monument to inefficiency. id say 80% of the back office stuff exists only to manually correct for a process flaw or manually do something a computer could be programmed to do. i have a coworker who has completely automated his job using only excel macros

theres so much more but honestly its the totality of the dedication to not addressing the core problems that is breathtaking. i absolutely love it b/c im a huge fan of institutional incompetence

Lotta words but I'd say take an exapmple from the guy who has automated his job

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

The XKCD Larper posted:

Lotta words but I'd say take an exapmple from the guy who has automated his job

i have considered it (it would be trivial to do so) but as it is im having trouble finding enough podcasts and longform reading to fill the workweek having even more time would be almost unbearable

the automation guy is autistic to the degree of being almost nonfunctional and is content to stare at a computer doing all his work without his interaciton for hours on end without complaint. if you told me he was a robot i would believe you

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

LastInLine posted:

at a process improvement meeting just last month after listening to suggestions for improvement for a couple hours the manager running the meeting said "you will all be a lot happier when you realize that we are not going to fix anything"

is this a publicly traded company

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

eschaton posted:

is this a publicly traded company

it is and its a v. well known company

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

all of that owns very much

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

I have frequently joke that our "operations" division works on the basis of having 4 people for every job: 1 to do it and gently caress it up, 1 to run a report to identify the gently caress up, another to report on the gently caress up rate and a fourth to fix it when someone else notices and asks them what the gently caress they think they're doing.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

LastInLine posted:

lmao

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

TjyvTompa fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Sep 11, 2017

Ritz On Toppa Ritz
Oct 14, 2006

You're not allowed to crumble unless I say so.
I work in broadcast media - I worked a little in IT as a video engineer.

My current job (same place but not in IT) requires that I email people to let them know that I put video files in a watchfolder that they already get email notifications for. And then they complain that they get too many emails. And if suddenly some team over in the UK need those files too it takes about three departments and huge email threads just to answer the simple question - "okay, what emails should I incorporate."

Then the UK team realized that they already received the files since the platform I upload to is something they already have access to themselves.

A dodged bullet was when we almost had to provide some lawyers a 10 Gig switch so that they could open projects in Adobe Premiere to give approval since they thought it'll be faster than going into an edit suite (no surprise that they also didn't know how to use Premiere). It literally would have been a harmonic switch for 3 people who almost exclusively use wifi/google.

Ritz On Toppa Ritz fucked around with this message at 03:44 on Sep 12, 2017

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

"we need to run a report to show that these 3 attributes are populated consistently please provide it"

"uh, those are all bound together so it's all or nothing, all three are present or nothing is there to output so the report would do nothing as you can never get a partial result "

"yes but this other team has asked for it so please do the needful. We will require it weekly for kpi reporting"

i loving swear you could ask someone to report every day that the sun rose and they'd do it

ATM Machine
Aug 20, 2007

I paid $5 for this

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

i loving swear you could ask someone to report every day that the sun rose and they'd do it

Where I used to work, we got asked to make a report to make sure our daily reports were reporting. The daily reports went exclusively to them, and no one else.

How about having automated alerts raise tickets in JIRA that has an integration with service now, that then triggered alerts in another system further down the line. That other system belongs to the same team that has the software that listens for the alerts that it raises into JIRA in the first place, which then sends an email to whoever owns the thing that briefly reached 80% CPU for a second or some bull. JIRA and service now were both linked to the owner, so there were 3 things that needed to be closed manually, and if you closed the service now one first, JIRA would helpfully raise another ticket.

a_pineapple
Dec 23, 2005

I once worked placing delivery orders received from a Kindle for a restaurant. We'd also receive a fax. We were required to mark the order as "received" on the kindle and then wait until the fax arrives to place the order. It was a monumental effort to convince the GM that it wasn't necessary to wait for the fax before inputting the order.

At the end of the shift we had to file all of the faxes into a bankers box that the GM would keep in his apartment and also manually input all the sales information for the night into a horribly broken XLS, even though we were paying $$$ for some fancy cloud based POS system that could generate all that poo poo automatically. God damnit I hated that loving place never work in a restaurant office.

Also the GM was too cheap to spring $20 for some lovely headsets for the phones so we had to cradle the handset on our shoulders while talking to customers. gently caress restaurant GMs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

never underestimate the idiotic cheapness of a small business manager

• Locked thread