Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
we're not too inefficient in my line of work. but we don't have huge margins. but i am hanging out to hear some desperate tales about how half your lives exist only because of the obscene inefficiencies inherent in IT because there isn't anything even remotely like a standards board

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

i wipe my rear end twice

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I got a tale of horrendous inefficiencies

Its called ur post history

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

javascript

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
i'm the flavor of the month javascript framework that reinvents the wheel for the n'th time, poorly

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

:yeah:

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Satellit3
Oct 21, 2008

one of my coworkers is horrendously fat, and dumb. she single-handedly makes the otherwise great team im on inefficient. hows that for some IT

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Satellit3 posted:

one of my coworkers is horrendously fat, and dumb. she single-handedly makes the otherwise great team im on inefficient. hows that for some IT

inappropriate

the whole team should be slovenly

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Satellit3 posted:

gently caress your coworker and cum in her.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that's some terrible posting mate

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

echinopsis posted:

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Suspicious posted:

i'm the flavor of the month javascript framework that reinvents the wheel for the n'th time, poorly

i worked with a guy who had a job to refactor a php site. it was a poo poo job, but whatever, just make it happen. no, he claimed, it all must be rebuilt with ruby on rails! then he decided sql was no good, time to switch to mongodb, because nosql is the future. a few weeks later RoR was out the door because Nodejs was hot hot hot and soooo much better.

a constant cycle of starting from scratch again and again. he was amazing to watch

then he got into angular, ember, backbone, those types of things etc. when i left he was like 3 months into the drat thing with about half a home page to show for it. by then he was on to Go or Dart or something else equally as stupid

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder

Roosevelt posted:

i worked with a guy who had a job to refactor a php site. it was a poo poo job, but whatever, just make it happen. no, he claimed, it all must be rebuilt with ruby on rails! then he decided sql was no good, time to switch to mongodb, because nosql is the future. a few weeks later RoR was out the door because Nodejs was hot hot hot and soooo much better.

a constant cycle of starting from scratch again and again. he was amazing to watch

then he got into angular, ember, backbone, those types of things etc. when i left he was like 3 months into the drat thing with about half a home page to show for it. by then he was on to Go or Dart or something else equally as stupid

if i have a poo poo job to do, that's when i waste time loving with new frameworks/tools/whatever.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

echinopsis posted:

we're not too inefficient in my line of work. but we don't have huge margins. but i am hanging out to hear some desperate tales about how half your lives exist only because of the obscene inefficiencies inherent in IT because there isn't anything even remotely like a standards board

union makes me pay talent out the rear end, OP.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

echinopsis posted:

call out bad behaviour when you see it mate

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Smythe posted:

union makes me pay talent out the rear end, OP.

if you had a real casting couch you could pay them in the rear end, friend

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
Lots of printouts of things from our lovely ERP software, with less detail than the ERP software, used by people with access to everything in the ERP software, stored in many banker's boxes.

Can't trust computers you know.

Basement got a little water in it and a bunch of boxes were on the floor. Rusty staples and weird stains

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

our source control is from the early 90s

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I work for the govt

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I once worked on a project that ended up being 3x its low 8 figgies original budget and took 3 years longer than anticipated [it was originally scoped as a 2 year project]

any time anyone's like ooh, the government is so inefficient we need private industry to be more stremalined and less wasteful I'm like um

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
i still have an FTP to schlep files around because half my coworkers are too stupid to understand dropbox.

Maximum Leader
Dec 5, 2014
coworker was at a project at his old company where they spent ~100000000 USD implementing SAP for a small regional office in the middle of nowhere. the plan was global rollout but the entire implementation had to be scrapped and started again from scratch because parts of it were of such low quality.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

carry on then posted:

our source control is from the early 90s

nice, vintage tech

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Maximum Leader posted:

coworker was at a project at his old company where they spent ~100000000 USD implementing SAP for a small regional office in the middle of nowhere. the plan was global rollout but the entire implementation had to be scrapped and started again from scratch because parts of it were of such low quality.

akaik that's the minimum amount you can spend to stand up SAP

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

My Linux Rig posted:

nice, vintage tech

yeah, that's what i'm thinking when i have to manually write down what files i've changed so i can check them out when i go to deliver

i actually have a local git repo so this is done for me now but most people don't do that

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Maximum Leader posted:

nice

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
i worked on a project once where the customer would fax us something, we would OCR the fax, search-and-replace a few of the words, then try to reformat the fax into a word document template, print it as a PDF and re-fax it back to them for their approval before they would turn around and fax it to a third party.

about halfway through, we realized we could just hire an intern with a dymo label maker to do it by hand and put it back into the fax machine like a 1990s 'zine but my boss didn't go for it (he wanted to license the technology to a big company like microsoft or oracle as a replacement for all this faxing that businesses did circa 2008). near the end they wanted us to identify the client's font and reproduce it, which we ended up doing by OCRing the caller id off the cover page and referencing that into a lookup table of which font each client liked.

everything we were faxed was a print-off of a word document fresh from the laser and often faxed direct from the print driver.

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Aug 13, 2017

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

I use 27 separate systems at work and none of them share information :smithicide:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Seat Safety Switch posted:

i worked on a project once where the customer would fax us something, we would OCR the fax, search-and-replace a few of the words, then try to reformat the fax into a word document template, print it as a PDF and re-fax it back to them for their approval before they would turn around and fax it to a third party.

about halfway through, we realized we could just hire an intern with a dymo label maker to do it by hand and put it back into the fax machine like a 1990s 'zine but my boss didn't go for it (he wanted to license the technology to a big company like microsoft or oracle as a replacement for all this faxing that businesses did circa 2008). near the end they wanted us to identify the client's font and reproduce it, which we ended up doing by OCRing the caller id off the cover page and referencing that into a lookup table of which font each client liked.

everything we were faxed was a print-off of a word document fresh from the laser and often faxed direct from the print driver.

jesus christ

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

my organisation uses Microsoft SharePoint to track inefficiencies :smugmrgw:

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

my organisation uses Microsoft SharePoint to track inefficiencies :smugmrgw:

seems like there would be better ways to track crop yields than with a bloated product like sharepoint mate

pram
Jun 10, 2001

lol

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

mate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hehe

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

I tried I print to PDF in SAP and it took something like five steps of menus and going back and forth between steps

ConanTheLibrarian
Aug 13, 2004

dis buch is late
Fallen Rib

Boiled Water posted:

I tried I print to PDF in SAP and it took something like five steps of menus and going back and forth between steps

you should have faxed it to Seat Safety Switch

jammyozzy
Dec 7, 2006

Is that a challenge?

Boiled Water posted:

This but also every other function and tool in SAP.

It's 2017 and almost every single tool in the CAD software we use at work is not multi-threaded, because it's code base probably makes Excel's look like a paragon of forward planning and logical design. We get new beastly CAD workstations every few months and they all just sit there at 12.5% processor utilisation all day.

Bonus: It also doesn't support desktop composition, so even though the processor is basically idle you still have to wait for the current task to end before some programs (looking at you Adobe Reader) will jump in and open.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

turns out SAP is a piece of poo poo and for some reason every business uses it

• Locked thread