Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
This was a cool thing, and it's always fun to see how things change from preseason predictions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Also I should remember to finish things I start.

Set 2

Wins by best AFC Team
losses by worst NFC Team

Everyone thought the Patriots or Steelers would be ridiculous and everyone else in the AFC would suck... so, uh, yeah. And the NFC was thought to have some real trainwreck teams like the Rams, 49ers, Bears, But no one quite Browns bad and there was a bunch of 16-0 hype, so almost everyone took the AFC.

Anyway, another push happened, whoops

Patriots road wins
Cowboys home wins

People kept predicting the Patriots would go 16-0, and I thought they'd lose a handful because I've actually watched them play defense the last few years, ANYWAY, I figured the Cowboys would end up not losing Elliot for that long and this would be closer, but the Pats lost 2 home games, while the Cowboys went 3-5 at Jerry's World.

Patriots pickers:

wandler20
Diqnol
fsif
SKULL.GIF
shyduck
Metapod
GeneX
oldskool
Intruder
Whooping Crabs
Athanatos
on the bored wop
GaussianCopula
Marshmallow Blue
King Hong Kong
Infidel Castro
a new study bible!
a neat cape
Kalli
Magnetic North
axeil
IcePhoenix
Dubious

49ers + Rams + Cardinals wins
Jets + Bills + Dolphins + Jaguars wins

This was a the NFC west was supposed to the Seahawks and shmucks and same with the AFC, but the Jets could be horrifically bad, so let's also give them the Jaguars, because that'll be a laugh.

Of course, everyone ended up overperforming I'd say. 11 + 8 + 6 for the NFC, 25 for the NFC vs 9 + 6 + 5 for the AFC East... but then the Jaguars added 10, whoops. Closer to even picks though, people *really* thought the AFC East was all shmucks.

AFC BEASTS:

wandler20
Diqnol
fsif
SKULL.GIF
shyduck
Metapod
GeneX
oldskool
Intruder
Athanatos
on the bored wop
Infidel Castro
a new study bible!
a neat cape
Magnetic North
axeil
MalarkeyToboggan
Benne
TSBX
The Puppy Bowl

Maximum number of passing TDs by a player from this group: Blake Bortles, Sam Bradford, Jay Cutler, Alex Smith, Joe Flacco, Andy Dalton
Minimum number of passing TDs by a player from this group: Ben Roethlisberger, Tom Brady, Aaron Rodgers Drew Brees

This was probably the most even one, and basically should've been: did you think one of the great QB's would get injured this year?

Of course, it ended up being a weird down year for touchdowns, so we had:

Brady - 32
Ben - 28
Brees - 23
Rodgers - 16

Seriously, did anyone think Brees would play the full year and only throw 23 drat TD's?

While on the bottom franchise QB pile we got:

Smith - 26
Dalton - 25
Bortles - 21
Cutler - 19
Flacco - 18
Bradford - 3

QB's aren't always the best:

fsif
SKULL.GIF
Metapod
GeneX
oldskool
Infidel Castro
a new study bible!
axeil
MalarkeyToboggan
The Puppy Bowl
GaussianCopula
King Hong Kong
IcePhoenix
Ginger Beer Belly
OxySnake

Longest TD play from scrimmage by Le’Veon Bell
Longest Field Goal by Justin Tucker

Goofy little thing considering any kicker probably gets off a 50 yarder and any running back that gets fed the ball a billion times probably breaks off a ridiculous run at some point.

Bell didn't. His longest run this year was 27 drat yards and his longest reception was 42... and neither was a touchdown, he had an 11 yard rushing and a 35 yard receiving TD.

Kickers are people too:

fsif
Metapod
axeil
The Puppy Bowl
OxySnake
on the bored wop
a neat cape
Whooping Crabs
Marshmallow Blue
Dubious

Number of Head coaches fired before the end of the season
Total Ties

Remember ties? Those were cool, Anyway, a bunch of coaches got fired, almost everyone figured that would happen,

fsif
Metapod
The Puppy Bowl
OxySnake
a neat cape
Whooping Crabs
Marshmallow Blue
Dubious
SKULL.GIF
GeneX
oldskool
Infidel Castro
a new study bible!
MalarkeyToboggan
GaussianCopula
King Hong Kong
IcePhoenix
Diqnol
Intruder
Athanatos
Benne
TSBX
sexy tiger boobs
TurboFlamingChicken
wandler20
Kalli

Adrian Peterson rushing yards
Marshawn Lynch rushing yards

old fogey running backs are probably the most depreciated asset to NFL teams, but casual fans loving love 'em. Lynch is way more lovable though, and he at least had a few okay antics this year, while Peterson basically had an Emmitt Smith like year on the Cardinals

fsif
Metapod
The Puppy Bowl
OxySnake
Marshmallow Blue
Dubious
SKULL.GIF
GeneX
oldskool
Infidel Castro
IcePhoenix
Diqnol
Intruder
Athanatos
TSBX
sexy tiger boobs
TurboFlamingChicken
axeil
on the bored wop
Ginger Beer Belly
shyduck
Magnetic North
wandler20
Kalli

Games started by rookie quarterback
Games started by QBs who will be 38 years old during this season (i.e., Brees, Palmer, McCown)

So yeah, were any of the old fogeys going to break down Palmer, who breaks down a lot, McCown who was probably going to play bad and get benched for Hackenberg AT SOME POINT RIGHT?? vs a guy sitting behind a QB who just got $18m guaranteed, A guy behind Alex Smith, a dude in Cleveland who .. oh my god what you doing Cleveland and a guy who'd probably lose half the year to SAVAGE.

So yeah, 16 for Brees, 13 for McCown, 7 for Palmer... which switch those latter two and that's what I bet on.

While we've got: 15 for Kizer (also 15 benchings), 12 for Trubisky, 6 for Watson (RIP), 1 for Mahomes, 2 for Peterman oh my god it's a push it's a pus... oh who the gently caress is, CJ Beathard and who cares that he started 5 games for the 49ers in the pre-pretty era.

fsif
Dubious
GeneX
Athanatos
TSBX
sexy tiger boobs
TurboFlamingChicken
Ginger Beer Belly
Magnetic North
Benne

Starts by Joe Flacco
Starts by Andrew Luck

Flacco has sucked for years so he has to get benched at some point right? and Luck is supposed to be back any day now right?

fsif
Dubious
GeneX
Athanatos
TSBX
sexy tiger boobs
TurboFlamingChicken
Ginger Beer Belly
Magnetic North
Benne
Metapod
The Puppy Bowl
OxySnake
Marshmallow Blue
SKULL.GIF
oldskool
Infidel Castro
IcePhoenix
Intruder
on the bored wop
shyduck
a neat cape
a new study bible!
MalarkeyToboggan
Kalli

Sam Bradford yards per pass attempt
Most interceptions by Blake Bortles in a game.

This was just me being kind of a cheeky bitch. Bortles has never had more then 3 ints in a game (feels like more then that), while even a terrible checkdown QB hits like 6 YPA.

Anyway, Bortles cleaned up his act this year int wise, while Bradford actually was hucking the ball until he exploded, a drat 8.9 YPA after never topping 7 before. (almost as if the Vikings receivers are really good, hmm).

fsif
Dubious
GeneX
TSBX
sexy tiger boobs
TurboFlamingChicken
Ginger Beer Belly
Benne
The Puppy Bowl
OxySnake
Marshmallow Blue
SKULL.GIF
oldskool
Infidel Castro
IcePhoenix
Intruder
on the bored wop
shyduck
a new study bible!
Diqnol
axeil
Whooping Crabs
GaussianCopula
King Hong Kong
wandler20

Current Scores:

13 fsif
11 Marshmallow Blue
11 SKULL.GIF
10 a new study bible!
10 Dubious
10 IcePhoenix
9 Benne
9 GeneX
9 Infidel Castro
9 Metapod
9 oldskool
9 TSBX
8 a neat cape
8 axeil
8 on the bored wop
8 sexy tiger boobs
8 shyduck
8 The Puppy Bowl
7 Athanatos
7 Diqnol
7 GaussianCopula
7 Ginger Beer Belly
7 Intruder
7 Kalli
7 OxySnake
7 wandler20
7 Whooping Crabs
6 Magnetic North
6 TurboFlamingChicken
5 King Hong Kong
5 MalarkeyToboggan

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Kalli posted:

This was a the NFC west was supposed to the Seahawks and shmucks and same with the AFC, but the Jets could be horrifically bad, so let's also give them the Jaguars, because that'll be a laugh.

huh

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Turns out I have no idea what the gently caress is going to happen year to year in the NFL

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Athanatos posted:

Turns out I have no idea what the gently caress is going to happen year to year in the NFL

Hell, I made the drat questions up and am doing just as bad.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I have zero memory of C.J. Beathard and he was literally starting games as late as Thanksgiving week

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I only remember him because his name is Beathard.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Mega64 posted:

I only remember him because his name is Beathard.

The one thing I remember was making a bunch of shameless Beat Hard jokes on Twitter

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

I'm underselling the cardinals a little bit, since they did have David Johnson, but the consensus was they missed their window and would need a bunch of things to break right to be a WC team, while the rams and 49ers were expected to be trash. And in the AFC, the Dolphins had Tannehill's injury knock them out, while everyone thought the Bills would be pretty bad and the Jets would be unable to score an offensive point. Also the Jags were expected to be really bad too because of the previous 6 years of Jags football.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

No I meant that post read like you were having a stroke

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Finishing this up finally. First up, I forgot I said ties gave the point to the side with less votes. So first up, fixed scores before we start:

18 fsif
15 Dubious
15 GeneX
15 shyduck
15 SKULL.GIF
15 TurboFlamingChicken
14 axeil
14 Ginger Beer Belly
14 Infidel Castro
14 Marshmallow Blue
14 OxySnake
14 The Puppy Bowl
13 a neat cape
13 Athanatos
13 IcePhoenix
13 Intruder
13 on the bored wop
13 Whooping Crabs
12 Diqnol
12 GaussianCopula
12 Kalli
12 TSBX
12 wandler20
11 Magnetic North
11 MalarkeyToboggan
11 Metapod
11 oldskool
11 sexy tiger boobs
10 a new study bible!
10 Benne
10 King Hong Kong

================================================================

And here we go.

Number of playoff (non-Super Bowl) games won by the visiting team
Maximum number of TDs thrown by Kirk Cousins in a single game

There's 10 playoff games, and in the Wildcard round, the home team wins almost half the time, Divisional round home teams win like 75% while Conference Championships are closer to 60%... so on average 3-4 road team wins. This year we had 3. Kirk Cousins threw... 3 TD's in 4 different games. You figure a QB who starts 16 games has a random 4 high TD game (especially these last few years), but not this year.

a neat cape
Diqnol
GeneX
Ginger Beer Belly
Infidel Castro
on the bored wop
sexy tiger boobs
shyduck
SKULL.GIF
The Puppy Bowl
TurboFlamingChicken
wandler20
Whooping Crabs

# of Pages in SB thread.
Highest Yards from scrimmage for a non-QB in the Superbowl

SA's been losing posters for years, but the Superbowl thread still gets big, especially with all the close, good games. And typically someone in the Superbowl goes off for like ~150 yards from scrimmage.

This year 194 pages (granted the game stops around like 170 or so), the leading player for the Superbowl was.... Danny Amendola a pretty big shock, with 152.

Lots of people got this one right, congrats shitposters

a neat cape
GeneX
Ginger Beer Belly
Infidel Castro
shyduck
SKULL.GIF
TurboFlamingChicken
Whooping Crabs
a new study bible!
Athanatos
axeil
Dubious
fsif
GaussianCopula
IcePhoenix
Intruder
Kalli
King Hong Kong
Magnetic North
MalarkeyToboggan
Marshmallow Blue
Metapod
OxySnake

Games where Jared Goff is sacked at least 6 times
Number of head coaches who coach in week 1 and do not coach 16 games

Whoops, I had 2 different coaches get fired mid-season questions. Anyway, Goff was a loving trainwreck as a rookie and in his half season of starts, got sacked 7 times in a game and could've easily had a few others. Either way, most people correctly assumed he wouldn't get sacked that many times often, whereas I think just about everyone expected some coaches to get got.

a neat cape
GeneX
Ginger Beer Belly
shyduck
SKULL.GIF
TurboFlamingChicken
Whooping Crabs
Athanatos
Dubious
Intruder
Kalli
MalarkeyToboggan
Marshmallow Blue
OxySnake
Diqnol
on the bored wop
sexy tiger boobs
The Puppy Bowl
wandler20
Benne
oldskool
TSBX

Number of repeat divisions champions
Number of new division champions

The AFC felt like the Patriots and the Steelers and who knows what, while in the NFC, the Packers and Seahawks were pretty close to shoe-ins for their divisions, and the Falcons too!. The NFC turned on its head, while the AFC played out that way. Only the Patriots, Steelers and Chiefs repeated this year, neat.

shyduck
Diqnol
sexy tiger boobs
The Puppy Bowl
wandler20
fsif

AFC Championship Game win by the AFC East
AFC Championship Game win by the rest of the AFC

The Pats were somewhat overwhelming favorites for the SB, so the Steelers got whomever out of the West and South to even things up. It's always smart to take the field, and most posters did, but guess who overcame the odds :smugdog:.

shyduck
fsif
SKULL.GIF
Marshmallow Blue
OxySnake
Benne
oldskool
Infidel Castro
GaussianCopula
IcePhoenix
King Hong Kong
Magnetic North

NFC Championship Game win by the NFC East and NFC West
NFC Championship Game win by the NFC North and NFC South

The Seahawks and Cowboys vs the Packers and Falcons / Panthers, a tough choice, who to choose?
I love how seasons play out versus the preseason, it all just breaks so beautifully.

shyduck
fsif
Marshmallow Blue
OxySnake
Benne
GaussianCopula
GeneX
Ginger Beer Belly
Athanatos
Intruder
MalarkeyToboggan
on the bored wop
a new study bible!
axeil

Sacks by JJ Watt + Clowney
Texans' Offensive rank in Points scored

The Texans were supposed to start Savage for half the season, then have Watson limp along the second half aka, suck poo poo, while Watt and Clowney would be finally healthy and get to ~20 something combined sacks and it'd be awesome. Clowney held up his end with 9.5, but Watt died again, and Watson was awesome during the 6 watchable Texans games last year, and got the Texans to an average scoring offense at 17th... which tells you something about all those non-Watson games.

shyduck
GeneX
a new study bible!
SKULL.GIF
Infidel Castro
King Hong Kong
TurboFlamingChicken
Whooping Crabs
TSBX

Hackenberg completions this season.
Years since the Jets won the Superbowl.

:lol: Hack was bad, but he was picked so high and had nothing keeping him on the bench, so of course he gets a few Ryan Lindley games right?

shyduck
GeneX
a new study bible!
Infidel Castro
TurboFlamingChicken
Whooping Crabs
TSBX
fsif
OxySnake
Ginger Beer Belly
Athanatos
Intruder
MalarkeyToboggan
on the bored wop
axeil
Magnetic North
sexy tiger boobs
The Puppy Bowl
Dubious
Kalli
Metapod

Bell + Brown + Bryant yards from scrimmage
Total passing yardage for the Browns

Even a bad passing team should be okay right? While the Steelers were a three man show on offense.
Bell and Bryant were ridiculous as usual, while Bryant was a distant contributor. The Browns just loving sucked.

Bell - 1946
Brown -1533
Bryant - 625

vs

Browns - 3228

TurboFlamingChicken
Whooping Crabs
TSBX
OxySnake
Ginger Beer Belly
MalarkeyToboggan
on the bored wop
Magnetic North
sexy tiger boobs
Kalli
Metapod
SKULL.GIF
King Hong Kong
GaussianCopula
oldskool
IcePhoenix
Diqnol
wandler20

Chargers wins
Philip Rivers children.

I thought Rivers had 7 kids, SA2k corrected me, so it turned into an over or under .500. The Chargers were certainly talented, but have had overall poor rosters and horrible injury problems for years. Things started to come together this year, and they hit 9-7 and Rivers did not pop out another one. Only 8 of us thought the Chargers would break .500, which is surprising. Or they just picked the funny response.

Ginger Beer Belly
GaussianCopula
Diqnol
wandler20
fsif
Athanatos
Dubious
a neat cape

Yards from scrimmage for Jordan Howard
Total receiving yards by the Bears top 4 WR's.

Howard had 1600 YFS last year, while the Bears had nothing at WR after offseason purging. Howard fell off a bit, and boy were the Bears' WR's bad, but 3 of them were just enough to squeak by:

Jordan Howard - 1247
vs
Kendall Wright - 614
Josh Bellamy - 376
Dontrolle Inman - 334
Tre' McBride - 144

GaussianCopula
Diqnol
wandler20
fsif
Athanatos
Dubious
a neat cape
TurboFlamingChicken
Whooping Crabs
TSBX
MalarkeyToboggan
oldskool
IcePhoenix
shyduck
Infidel Castro
Intruder
axeil
The Puppy Bowl
Marshmallow Blue
Benne

Highest Margin of victory for the Panthers
Age of the QB who leads the league in passing yards

Only 3 people thought the Panthers would truly blow someone out. Never would've expected Brady to lead in passing yards, so 40 shouldn't have been there, but Brees is always a safe bet, while I expected someone like Stafford, and come on Panthers, you could've put another TD on the Dolphins.

GaussianCopula
Diqnol
wandler20
fsif
Athanatos
Dubious
a neat cape
TurboFlamingChicken
Whooping Crabs
TSBX
MalarkeyToboggan
IcePhoenix
Infidel Castro
Intruder
axeil
The Puppy Bowl
Marshmallow Blue
Benne
Ginger Beer Belly
OxySnake
on the bored wop
Magnetic North
sexy tiger boobs
Kalli
Metapod
SKULL.GIF
King Hong Kong
GeneX

Highest margin of defeat for the Seahawks
Highest margin of victory for the Rams

During Fisher's tenure, the Rams sucked, but would inevitably murder the Seahawks in a game, and it was pretty safe to assume the Seahawks would at least be decent, while the Rams would be poo poo. Turns out that was a total whiff, and the Rams obliterated the poor Colts by 37, while the Seahawks.... oh of course, they lost to the Rams by 35.

GaussianCopula
fsif
a neat cape
TurboFlamingChicken
IcePhoenix
Intruder
axeil
The Puppy Bowl
Marshmallow Blue
Ginger Beer Belly
OxySnake
on the bored wop
Magnetic North
Kalli
King Hong Kong

Sacks taken by Giants' Quarterbacks
Longest punt return by Washington

The Giants' OL expected to have some huge problems, while typically a punt returner breaks something for 40-50 yards pretty regularly.

The Giants started poor, but cleaned their act up a bit, and they "only" allowed 34 sacks last year, which would be great for Washington, but their ST weren't so great and their longest return was only 29 yards.

a neat cape
axeil
Marshmallow Blue
Kalli
Dubious
Whooping Crabs
SKULL.GIF
shyduck

Final tally:

23 fsif
19 Marshmallow Blue
19 SKULL.GIF
18 Dubious
18 IcePhoenix
18 shyduck
17 a neat cape
17 Ginger Beer Belly
16 axeil
16 GeneX
16 Infidel Castro
16 The Puppy Bowl
16 TurboFlamingChicken
16 Whooping Crabs
15 Athanatos
15 Benne
15 GaussianCopula
15 Kalli
15 on the bored wop
15 OxySnake
15 TSBX
14 a new study bible!
14 Diqnol
14 Intruder
14 sexy tiger boobs
14 wandler20
13 MalarkeyToboggan
13 Metapod
13 oldskool
12 Magnetic North
11 King Hong Kong

Congratulations fsif, you crushed this dumb game. You should probably gamble more.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Not last! Woo!

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

Magnetic North posted:

Not last! Woo!

The last shall be first.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Benne posted:

The one thing I remember was making a bunch of shameless Beat Hard jokes on Twitter

really disappointing that no newspaper ever ran the headline Beathard Beat Hard as Iowa Falls to Northwestern

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Right in the meaty part of the curve. Not showing off, not falling behind.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
what a weird season this was

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Well with a little assist from alphabetical order, I beat the game runner. Good enough for me.

Thanks for doing this Kalli. It's great to look back at the questions after the season.

fsif
Jul 18, 2003

Okay I'll take a bow.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Athanatos posted:

Well with a little assist from alphabetical order, I beat the game runner. Good enough for me.

Thanks for doing this Kalli. It's great to look back at the questions after the season.

Yeah, in retrospect some of the questions sure seemed silly. Like, how often could he get realistically get sacked 6 times in a season? But only a few were truly lopsided in how people picked, and most of those the majority got wrong.

Wow, looking it up, David Carr managed to get sacked 6+ times 5 times his rookie season and 12 times in his career... which, man the Texans really did set out to ruin his life huh?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I'm pretty happy with how I did in this despite barely paying attention to the NFL compared to the other two major sports.

• Locked thread