Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

CascadeBeta posted:

I agree that Bc1-g5 is the best move, however, would we care if they take our pawn with their knight instead of moving that pawn up one? Probably not but that's the only other thing I can see happening.

We respond by taking their knight with ours, they then either lose a knight for a pawn, or take our knight with their bishop. We then take their bishop with our queen.

The net of that is they lose a knight and a bishop for a pawn and a knight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5+ Nc6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Qxd4 Bd7 6.Bxc6 Bxc6 7.Nc3 Nf6 8.Bg5

Black has 24 hours to decide on a move.

What do you think is the opponent's best move, and what is your best counter to that move?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I think we've broadly anticipated the correct set of black moves here.

It'll be interesting to see if they follow our plan.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
Oh, I totally thought a kingside castle would put the rook at e1, not f1. :downs:

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
I'm considering possible rebuttals here, and I think it's possible that Black will actually go for e7-e6 instead of h7-h6. Despite that pawn not aggressing the bishop itself, moving that piece would free up an avenue for movement of their queen if we were to continue on and take their knight. I'm not sure losing our last bishop at this point is worth that, and best case scenario for us at that point is a queen exchange. With that said, I think our best counter to that would be b2-b4- develop one of our pawns and aggress two tiles on row 5, their middle-ground, without disrupting our own defenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
I feel like we have an advantage in board control right now, so forcing some exchanges would be in their interest in order to unwind our positioning, or at least open the board enough to let their remaining rear-rank pieces out.

• Locked thread