Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
Welcome, team white!

The players are:

alcharagia
AlphaKretin
Artelier
CascadeBeta
chitoryu12
Decoy Badger
Epicmissingno
Faerie Fortune
LambdaZero
M.c.P
MagusofStars
The Mighty Moltres
Yorkshire Tea

Rules:

The teams will choose their move based on a simple vote - Note that this means that explaining to your team mates why your suggested move is the best is just as important as coming up with it in the first place!

Teams will have 24 hours to decide on their move, though I will call the vote early if one move gains a clear majority. (I will generally allow for longer voting times than I did in the previous game however)

Please use long algebraic notation for your moves.

I'd also prefer if as much team communication as possible is kept in the threads, both for the benefit of the observer thread and to make it easier for new players to follow the lines of thinking without having to use external sites. Lichess links are good though.

Players aren't allowed to read the observer thread or the opposing team's thread, observers aren't allowed to post in the team threads.

No use of chess engines to find moves is allowed, this includes playing either side of the position against the computer.

To ensure that both teams have an equal playing field, the only allowed sources for openings etcetera are Wikipedia and chess.com. However, reading up on standard openings is encouraged as a good way to learn.

Absolutely no super villainy allowed.

Regarding mentors:

The mentors who will be posting in the thread are idhrendur, oldskool and Dr. Fetus. Please add a :eng101: to the beginning of any posts in the team threads to separate you from players.

The mentors and myself will be available in the team threads to answer any questions and provide advice. To start off with, I will consider any questions that are not asking for specific move suggestions fair game. All post by mentors that are longer than simple "yes" or "no" answers should be crossposted to both threads. If mentors consider any questions a grey area, just check with me via pm or on Discord.

Want more chess?
If this thread doesn't provide enough chess in your life, I highly recommend you check out the free app Chess by Post! (Microsoft Store , Google Play, App Store)

It features both ranked matchmade games against random players at the same skill level, and unranked games with friends with full compatibility across all devices. It also has a very handy move planner, which probably is the main thing saving me from constantly blundering. It also has an extremely merciful time limit for games, which is nice.

Usernames of thread goons using the app (just let me know if you want to be added to this list!):

covski
idhrendur
excloudygh
circlmastr
fatsamurai
HisMajestyBOB
Livewire42
Leylite
Raldan
CascadeBeta
oath2order
TheMightyMoltres
schnibs
herpicle
alphakretin
cxp
moooo566

Covski fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Sep 20, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Covski posted:

Basics of chess: The pieces

This post covers the movements of the pieces and any special rules regarding them. I've also added the idea of "personalities" I covered in the beginning of the thread which I find is a useful approach to basic chess strategy as a beginner - if a piece is in the spot it "wants" to be in according to its personality, it's usually decently strategically placed.
Basics of chess: The pieces

Pawns:

Even though pawns are the individually least valuable pieces they are arguably one of the most important ones, and by far the piece with the most special rules attached to them.

Usually, pawns can move one square forward. (It's important to note that unlike all other pieces, pawn moves are permanent in that they cannot move backwards) However, the first time a pawn moves off their starting rank, they may choose to advance two squares instead.

Pawns are also the only piece that captures in a way that is different from their normal move - diagonally in the direction they are able to advance.

The humble pawn have a potentially game winning superpower: Promotion. If a pawn manages to reach the very opposite side of the board, it can be exchanged for any other kind of piece except for a king. In almost all cases you will want to promote the pawn to a queen, except in a few extremely specific situations.

If this wasn't enough, pawns also have an obscure counter-move to the two square advance mentioned earlier. On the following move only, an opposing pawn in the appropriate spot can capture as if the advancing pawn had only moved one square: This is known as "en passant." This weird little rule (which comes up way too seldom in my opinion) was added at the same time as the two-square move was introduced, and I like to think of it as a sort of day-1 nerf after a major balance patch.

Sidenotes and personality:

Likes: Working together with other pawns, punching above his weight, reaching the edge of the board and being promoted
Dislikes: Being alone
General ideas: Pawns should usually as far as possible, be kept in "pawn chains" with their brethren - an isolated pawn is usually a weakness. However, promoting pawns by reaching the edge of the board is often a winning move in the late game.

Knights:

Knights have an odd movement pattern that might take some get used to. It is unique in that it is the only piece that can jump over other pieces, but its movement pattern also means that it has a deceptively hard time reaching some squares close to it.

Value: 3 pawns (roughly, depends on the state of the board)
Dislikes: Being on the rim (it makes him grim), being hassled by pawns
General ideas: Knights are most effective in the centre of the board where they can attack/protect the maximum amount of squares, preferably in a spot where they cannot be threatened by opposing pawns.

Bishops:

Bishops are long range pieces that move and attack along diagonals. Since they can only move to squares of the same colour that they start on, they are often referred to as white-square or dark-square bishops.

Value: 3+ pawns (roughly, depends on the state of the board)
Likes: Hiding behind pawns on open diagonals, attacking things at long range
Dislikes: Anything on the wrong coloured square
General ideas: Bishops do very well as a long range threat, but can also be useless in situations where most enemy pieces are on different coloured squares.

Rooks:

Rooks are another long range piece - it is a lot more flexible than the bishop, but its starting position usually means that it won't come into play until a bit later in the game.

Value: 5 pawns
Likes: Sitting on open files, protecting passed pawns, consuming enemy pawns on their home ranks, castling
Dislikes: Going to work, diagonals
General ideas: Rooks are very strong, but usually don't come into play until the mid game. They're great both at protecting things in front of them as well as being a powerful threat on any open file. When possible, they should usually have an open line to the other rook.

Queens:

The queen is the most powerful piece on the board, its movement pattern being a combination of the rook and the bishop.

Value: 8-9 pawns
Likes: Being important, mating, making glorious game winning sacrifices
Dislikes: Protecting pawns, moving out too early
General ideas: The queen is by far the most important piece on the board besides the king, and should not be wasted protecting non-critical pieces. Her high value is also her main weakness: You can usually not afford to trade away your queen unless it is in exchange for your opponent's, or if it is guaranteed to win you the game.

Kings:

The king is the most important piece, as it's safety is paramount to not losing the game. However, an active king can become a very powerful tool in the late game.

Its main restriction is that the king is never allowed to move into check.

The king has a special move in combination with the rook: Castling. As long as neither the king or the rook has moved, and there are no pieces between them, you castle by moving the king two squares towards the rook and the rook to the square on the other side next to the king. Note that you cannot castle if your king is in check, nor if the king would have to move through check to perform the castling.

Value: INFINITY
Likes: Being safe, saving the kingdom in its hour of greatest need.
Dislikes: Being unsafe, being placed in check
General ideas: In the early and middle game, king safety is one of the absolute highest priorities. However, the king becomes a very strong piece in his own right in the late game, and is critical to many late game mating positions.

Checking:

When your king is placed in check, you must immediately remove the check on your next turn, either by moving the king out of check, blocking the check with another piece, or by capturing the checking piece. If you have no legal way to move out of the check, you lose the game.

In the above position, the black king can escape the check either by blocking with the knight, or moving the king out of the check by moving behind the white knight. Note that the king cannot capture the white knight, as it is illegal to move the king into the check. In this example, the white king would have been mated if it had been on any square on the a-file.

Covski posted:

Algebraic notation

Notation isn't very fun and can be a bit bothersome getting used to but it is a necessary evil for discussion chess moves, especially in an online format such as this.

Each square on the chessboard is identified by a coordinate system. The vertical columns (files) are labelled, a-h, the horisontal rows (ranks) are labelled 1-8.

For the newbie game, we will be using long algebraic notation. Each move is denoted by the letter of the piece (K for king, Q for queen, R for rook, B for bishop, N for knight, pawns don't get a letter), the initial square, and the square that they move to. For example: Bd2-f4 denotes that the bishop on d2 moves to the square f4.

If a capture is made, this is denoted by an x instead of a -. For example: Bd2xf4 denotes the bishop on d2 moving to square f4 and capturing.

A check is denoted by a +, and checkmate by #. Castling is indicated by 0-0 (kingside) or 0-0-0 (queenside). Promotions are indicated by adding the letter of the piece the pawn promotes to. (for example, h7-h8Q)

Covski posted:

Basic opening ideas:

Since the game is starting soon, time to go over some thoughts on what it is you want to achieve in the opening of the game.

But first, let's mention the idea of tempo. Tempo (Italian for "time") basically means the amount of productive moves you have been allowed to make compared to you opponent, and can be thought of as the hidden resource of chess. Any time you do a passive move or use more moves than necessary to accomplish something, you are said to lose a tempo. Contrarily, you can win a tempo by forcing your opponent to do a passive or unproductive move. White, always going first, starts with a tempo. This is the reason that playing as white is considered an advantage, amounting to a few percent higher win rate in high level games.

The two main priorities in the opening is achieving some amount of control of the centre of the board, and developing your pieces as effectively as possible.

The four squares in the middle of the board (d4, d5, e4, e5) are crucial since control of these squares limit your opponent's ability to develop his pieces and stage attacks. Historically, the main way to control the centre was to occupy it directly with supported pawns, while the defining characteristic of modern chess is the idea of indirectly contesting the centre with long range pieces, most commonly bishops. Which of these methods is superior is largely a question of personal preference and style.

In the above position (known as the King's Indian Attack, for the record) white stakes a claim to the centre with his king pawn, which attacks the d5 and f5 squares. The knight supports the attack on d5, while at the same time protecting the centre pawn.

Black, on the other hand, attacks the d4 and e5 squares with his bishop while at the same time threatening a future exchange of pieces with the white knight. As an aside, this way of developing the bishop by moving up the knight pawn is known as a fianchetto, and is very popular in modern chess. It is much less popular in other disciplines, such as football. (I straight up stole that joke from Chessmaster, sorry.)

Okay, so why is development important? Basically because a piece that isn't attacking or defending anything (directly or indirectly) is pretty much useless. The more active and well-placed your pieces are, the harder it is for your opponent to make agressive moves, while you retain as many options as possible for going on the attack.

In the above example white and black has made an equal number of moves, but white is way ahead in development. All white's minor pieces are out and active in central squares, while black's pieces are sitting passively in their starting squares and are in some cases even blocked in by his own pawns. Sad!

This ties back into the concept of tempo - in this case white is way ahead because blacks wasted a lot of tempo on unproductive or even counterproductive moves.

There's a lot more to be said about openings, but this should hopefully be a decent enough starting point for now. As always, please ask if you have any immediate questions!

Covski fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Sep 11, 2017

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Lets do this thing! (I'll reserve actually voting until i wake up tomorrow, it's late here.)

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I'm not too familiar with chess openings but have read up a little on the Wiki, and I think moving e2-e4 is a pretty common and strong move.

Our pawn hits the centre of the board, and it opens up our bishop and our Queen.

Assuming we take this line of play, our next move is based on how black responds, but a lot of the common possible moves are documented in the Wiki I linked above. It has got lots of names and jargon but I think I'm following along the logic well enough by looking at the board states and paragraphs that explain why the game flows the way they do.

As for why I thought we should start with this particular move, well, it's an established opening. Its strengths seem pretty apparent, and it seems aggressive. We got the first turn, let's pressure Black as hard as we can.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Artelier posted:

I'm not too familiar with chess openings but have read up a little on the Wiki, and I think moving e2-e4 is a pretty common and strong move.
Not voting because I'm not playing, but this is the most common opening in chess, period, and there's a very, very good reason for that.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

:eng101: Welcome to team white! I'll be checking in regularly if you have questions. Best of luck!

Decoy Badger
May 16, 2009
If Bobby Fischer says it's the best opening, then I'll vote for e4

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Artelier posted:

Our pawn hits the centre of the board, and it opens up our bishop and our Queen.
This reasoning makes sense to me. We probably don't want to pull out our queen yet, but it lets her threaten a lot of squares so she can be somewhat active even while sitting in a nicely defended position.

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!
I agree that e2-e4 is a good opener.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Hello everyone, good to see you.

Don't see any reason to rock the boat here, other pawns aren't gonna unlock much, right? e2-e4

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Coolguye posted:

Not voting because I'm not playing, but this is the most common opening in chess, period, and there's a very, very good reason for that.

quote:

Players aren't allowed to read the observer thread or the opposing team's thread, observers aren't allowed to post in the team threads.
:)

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
While I think e4 is correct as well, are there any other moves that are worth considering?

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!
i was just coming in here to say e4 and i'm glad otehr people did it for me

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Ah, missed that, my mistake.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Hi everyone.

Ignore everything I just said because I reread the rules and we can only use wikipedia.

Natural 20 fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Sep 11, 2017

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
:eng101: Hello everyone. I'll be happy to answer any basic chess questions you all have or to help people that are just getting lost. Remember to have fun, and behave well! It's just a game, after all.

Also remember that Wikipedia is the only allowed source for info on opening moves.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
I will now not comment on the first move as I have forbidden knowledge.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Ugh, having thought about it a bit more I'll be amending the rules to allow chess.com as a source for information as well. Me changing the rules as I figure out what works is basically a trademark of mine by now anyway.

Sorry if you have to remake your Good Post Yorkshire :(

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost

CascadeBeta posted:

While I think e4 is correct as well, are there any other moves that are worth considering?

I mean, going through the ones available...

The Queen pawn lets another bishop loose, but blocks the queen and exposes the king on the diagonal.
Queen side bishop lets the queen go, but only threatening pawns and not really doing much.
None of the other pawns really let things go terribly well,
And leading with knights seems bad since they, uh, need support to be able to fork well?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Covski posted:

Ugh, having thought about it a bit more I'll be amending the rules to allow chess.com as a source for information as well. Me changing the rules as I figure out what works is basically a trademark of mine by now anyway.

Sorry if you have to remake your Good Post Yorkshire :(

Goddamn.

Okay I should be asleep but:

There are four major plays on Chess.com with above 300k games. They are, e4, d4, Nf3 and c4.

Let's look at each one and what Chess.com says:

e4 is a good move and the most popular opening in the game. We would do well to use it.

However, I think specifically for this game there are a few reasons to believe it's not going to be as good as it otherwise might. Notably the cons to the opening are that it comes out weaker if black defends well and it requires good opening knowledge.

Specifically last game, black ran an unconventional response to this move. Whether or not that lost black the game, I think it will have an impression on players. Specifically I think Black will play this game hard by the book if we do so. Now, the reality is if that happens what we're all going to be doing for the next 10-15 turns is opening up chess books and cross analysing anything Black does against that and they'll do the same. Whilst playing Book chess is a fine thing, I think specifically for us, it prevents us from really challenging and considering moves to try and understand the game better. Additionally I don't think the game will be that interesting to watch either.

So honestly I lean against e4.

This is d4, which has about 2.5m games or so. The benefits here noted are that it's a more strategic play than e4, but with less direct attack potential. I feel like if the game we want to play is one where we try to understand chess a little better and develop ourselves as players, then running for a game that's more about long term build up is probably going to be better for us overall. And also it'll potentially be better for the audience to see a different opening to game one.

Nf3 has about 350k games or so. It's an odd opening to me because it blocks off a pawn but gives the advantage of a fast castle. The reason I don't like this for us is that I feel like being able to properly time and take advantage of a castle is something that we might struggle with as newer players, so opening to provide that option might lead us down a path where we take it at an inopportune time.

Finally we have c4, again with around 350k games. This is probably the most out there opening that's still widely played and I think would come as a surprise to black, but I think would be reliant on us correctly fighting the centre with a piece in an odd place, which isn't something I'm convinced we'll do amazingly.

Also I noted last game that surprise didn't really provide an advantage because of the format. There is something however to be said for seeming like an unconventional player to start, only to immediately fall into convention to confuse the opposing team.

In any case, I'm going to throw my hat in for d4. I want to win, but I want to learn and have the team be more collaborative in their efforts than a very book chess style opening and response would allow.

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Flip the board
(I don't know the correct notation for that particular move, sorry)

Seriously though, I vote for e4.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

I understand where Yorkshire Tea is coming from, but I have a feeling that one way or another things will diverge from book standards soon enough. We may as well make the most of our innate advantage as white (b-:biotruths:?) and go with e2-e4.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Of course, e4.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

While I understand the concerns of adhering too much to by the book play, I think we will deviate soon enough.

Seeing as it's a beginner game, I don't see anything wrong with going with a traditional opening, and then using our own plays from there.

The wiki at least doesn't seem toshow too many of the possible hands after this. (Or maybe they do and I'm not reading them right)

As for your main concerns, Yorkshire Tea :

1 - same opening as previous game

I don't see any issue with this, because according to the observer thread they deviated really fast, and got punished for it. We haven't seen the "proper" early game for this move, was my impression.

2 - develop ourselves as players with a still strong, slightly less obvious opening

This one in fifty fifty on, but at least from my POV, I'm not too sure why this move is so great, and I'm the one that first initiated this suggestion and explained why I thought it was strong.

Like the immediate benefits are obvious, but how is d2-d4 more strategic or could develop us better as players, I'm not sure. I'm not sure how this will develop us less compared to that move also. Or what countermeasures could black implement for both.

But that's my own difficulties with chess - I find it difficult to imagine scenarios. I know what I want to do in the short term and that's about it. This is my first time looking up openings ever and of all the ones I saw, this seemed like the best and most aggressive, hence why I picked e2-e4.

I'm not inherently against d2-d4 btw. It's just my own analysis.

Phone posting, so no board states and probably some errors here and there , sorryyy

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
Yeah, like, the image has "Longer term pressure" as a pro but I haven't the slightest idea what that means. Because it saves our queen for later while still getting a bishop out? Because it leads into the long castle if we can get the queen out of the way?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Plus with d4, couldn't black have our king in check in just a few turns? (e6 then Bb4)
Not that we'd be unable to recover, but a quick check would be a morale booster on their side, and we don't need any of that!

The Mighty Moltres fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Sep 12, 2017

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Phone posting, so bear with me.

So I believe the reasoning is this as to why the game ends up more strategic.

If we play d4 we can opt on turn 2 to offer black a gambit. (where we lose a piece to gain positioning) If we play c4.

That's us forcing a fairly big tactical decision early on from them, which whilst not surprising might at least have them fighting in their thread.

We can do the same thing with e4 and f4, but Wikipedia informs me that this is a weaker play for reasons that I haven't yet discerned.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So if I read that back, then Logically if the most common plays from an e4 opening result in us trying to fight over the centre and the most common plays from d4 results in a flank battle on the c file, d4 leads to a more strategic game in that early build back to the centre for an assault takes longer.

At least I think that's right?

Also regarding the check opportunity. We know that's a possibility from our opening so logically we can play around it or into it.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I hope all of this is helping. If people are confused by this and want me to shut up, I'm happy to.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Since it's come up in both threads, a few thoughts about what is meant by book play. The fact of the matter is that chess openings are well researched enough that all the moves that are considered objectively better are mostly known. This does not mean that you should think of book openings as merely aping moves by expert players - rather think of them as a list of move suggestions to choose from, all with their own trade-offs and their own likelihood to result in different types of games. What they all have in common is that they are solid alternatives when picking a move (mostly - some really speculative plays have their own names and analyses) - you still need to make hard decisions on which book lines to pursue, which I'd personally argue is no less interesting as a learning exercise.

It's also generally true that the player who decides to leave book ahead of time is the first player to deliberately make a sub-optimal move, usually losing something in the process. Of course this means that the opponent is out of book moves as well and it's not impossible to gain an advantage from this (especially if you are a stronger player but less well read on the opening), but the fact remains that you have given up something by choosing to leave the book in the first place. Remember: A move being a book move doesn't just mean it's well researched and known by your opponent, it also means that hundreds of years of chess play has shown it to be stronger than the alternatives.

That said, do not take this as advice to stick to the book at all costs in this game: I just want to make the advantages of book play clear, and maybe change the way you think about it a bit. "Following standard book openings" sounds pretty boring, after all, but I promise it's not!

Also, some terminology elaboration:

A gambit is an opening in which one player offers a sacrifice (usually temporarily) a pawn to gain some kind of advantage. This can be a gain of tempo, an easier time developing your pieces, a positional advantage (often by having more pawns on the central squares), or a long term strategical advantage by weakening the opponent's pawn structure. Of course, the player who is offered the gambit has the choice to accept or decline the offered pawn. Oftentimes, a player accepting a gambit will not attempt to hold on to the extra pawn indefinitely, but will instead attempt to leverage their temporary material advantage for further gain.

Pressure is to place any square or piece.The player defending the square/piece will have to commit more pieces to its defence, tying up resources and limiting their tactical flexibility. The player putting on the pressure retains the option of releasing the pressure by shifting attacking pieces to another place on the board, possibly to suddenly attack in another spot.

Remember, me and the mentors are on hand if you have any questions about concepts or terms, or want any clarification on the strategic ideas of different openings or something along those lines. :eng101: I know this is a lot of information to take in at once, so don't be afraid to ask. Odds are that if you're wondering about something, other people are as well!

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

To amend my earlier point: Even when following book plays, I strongly encourage you to think long and hard and discuss why the moves are good. This is true generally, but especially for this game. Book play isn't a substitute for independent analysis but rather a good case study to try and figure out the reasoning why these moves are considered the best in that particular situation, and how that fits with your own understanding of the game.

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

1. e2-e4

King's pawn game

Black has 24 hours to decide on a move.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
To help foster discussion, and because I know nothing about chess theory beyond the very basics, what kind of responses should we expect, and how do we respond in turn? I realize that there's a wikipedia/chess.com page I could be reading, but to be honest, I kind of just bounce off those.

For example, the most common response I see in Chess By Post is e6. I usually either move a knight to threaten, or another pawn up to protect my e5 pawn. However, I tend to notice I end up blocking my own back line in, especially my bishops, by doing this.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
I'll reply to that in a second, but I'm aware I kinda monopolised discussion yesterday.

If everyone in the team were to mention their overall chess experience we might be a little better in terms of knowing what we're dealing with

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
So I played chess when I was about 10 or so and was never very good.

I get notation and how the pieces move but I'm not really able to see more than two moves in advance.

Like reading the last thread and watching people observe that white were at an advantage was mystifying to me.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Yorkshire Tea posted:

So I played chess when I was about 10 or so and was never very good.

I get notation and how the pieces move but I'm not really able to see more than two moves in advance.

Like reading the last thread and watching people observe that white were at an advantage was mystifying to me.

Same, pretty much, except I only got notation as a result of this thread (granted it was the first cause to really try at all).

Faerie Fortune
Nov 14, 2004

I've literally never won chess against anything, even an AI and I can barely remember how the pieces move most of the time. I'm also completely incapable of thinking ahead and planning moves and anticipating what my opponent is gonna do so yeah that's about where I'm at.

I also have zero experience with the notation BUT I'm a mathematician so I'm sure I'll pick it up quickly enough when actually using it

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

AlphaKretin posted:

Same, pretty much, except I only got notation as a result of this thread (granted it was the first cause to really try at all).

This is pretty much my situation, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Yorkshire Tea posted:

This more or less describes me perfectly.

I don't really get how advantage works - I can get the idea of piece values and do the math on that (black lost their queen for a pawn? yeah, no poo poo white's ahead!) but I have no clue how people can look at a board with roughly even material and clearly say that one side is winning. (Side note: Mentors / Covski, this would be a good informatory post at some point, though it might make more sense later in the game when there's actual examples to point to)

I went to chess club in high school but more as a social thing to do and was never very good at it. And I haven't played or even really thought about chess prior to this thread in like 15 years.

• Locked thread