Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I agree that we should continue to contest the center.

I was considering ...e7-e6 or ...e7-e5 , but either move opens us up to shenanigans like 8. Bc1-g5 and a clear threat to our queen. Let's go with ...Ng8-f6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame
Feb 20, 2016

BY FIRE BE PURGED!
It's time to move that Knight. Ng8-f6
Just realized I made a mistake in my previous post... sorry if that confused anyone :)

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5+ Nc6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Qxd4 Bd7 6.Bxc6 Bxc6 7.Nc3 Nf6

White has 24 hours to decide on a move.

What do you think is the opponent's best move, and what is your best counter to that move?

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Kingside castle or deploying the queenside bishop seems like the most likely options for them.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

anakha posted:

Kingside castle or deploying the queenside bishop seems like the most likely options for them.

It's early, but they seem to prefer not to castle when another option is on the table. If they deploy the bishop, the only sensible move is Bc1g5, which is actually quite the pain in the rear end: threatens our Knight while being covered by theirs, and leaves us with little counterplay that I can see.
I convinced myself by writing the post, calling their move as Bc1g5

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

LupusAter posted:

It's early, but they seem to prefer not to castle when another option is on the table. If they deploy the bishop, the only sensible move is Bc1g5, which is actually quite the pain in the rear end: threatens our Knight while being covered by theirs, and leaves us with little counterplay that I can see.
I convinced myself by writing the post, calling their move as Bc1g5

Yeah, I was studying the board some more and that's the move I would make if I were in their shoes.

If they make that move, I'm liking e7-e6. h7-h6 is the obvious-looking move to try and chase off the bishop, but e7-e6 seems like the more proactive move.

The pawn at e6 frees up our bishop to move to support the knight and allows us to kingside castle later on. In addition, it allows us to continue to contest the center of the board.

If White wants to go ahead and capture the knight, we can recapture with our queen and pressure them to trade queens. A queen trade now works for us because they chose to delay development earlier to bring out the queen, and a queen trade now would negate any advantage they tried to get in choosing to develop the queen instead of their other pieces.

e7-e5 doesn't seem to be feasible right now because e5 is threatened by multiple pieces and protected only by one..

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!

1.e4 c5 2.Nf3 d6 3.Bb5+ Nc6 4.d4 cxd4 5.Qxd4 Bd7 6.Bxc6 Bxc6 7.Nc3 Nf6 8.Bg5

You have 24 hours to decide on a move.

LupusAter
Sep 5, 2011

Welp, called it. I kinda like the plan of enticing them to capture and then tempt with the queen exchange: we'd get absolute control over the diagonals, which might be not much but it's something. They might also be reluctant to initiate, since it'd mean losing both bishops at a stage where bishops start being powerful due to the less crowded board. Voting for e7e6.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Yup, as analyzed above, I'll go for e7-e6.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm also down with e7-e6.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flame
Feb 20, 2016

BY FIRE BE PURGED!
Well, good work! I've got nothing else to say, your plan looks convincing enough for me. e7-e6.

• Locked thread