Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
uk shot themselves in the leg, arrogant idiots still thinking they're relevant outside of being the gate to eus single market.

eu will not become irrelevant, it will just have to move forward to becoming a proper federation like the other superpowers. gently caress eastern europe, gently caress the nationalists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
english pensioners wanted to get rid of the romanian workers who take all the lovely jobs no englishman even wants. best way to do it is to become romania!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

FisheyStix posted:

If there's one thing a Welshman hates more than a englishman, it's another Welshman!! *rolls up sleeves*

Absolutely untrue.

Unless they're from Swansea.

Maya Fey
Jan 22, 2017

Is it true the welsh voted themselves into huge deficits

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Dicky B posted:

lol good grief
It's not really like I needed a big push to realise the UK loving sucks.

Maya Fey posted:

They got a net massive win from EU funding and voted out, yes. Super smart.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 28, 2017

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

CountryMatters posted:

There are left wingers who dislike the EU too, such as the leader of the Labour party himself.
The EU is very explicitly pro corporate and pro austerity, and for left wingers who want to do stuff like take railways and water back under public ownership, they may be anti eu because the EU specifically does not allow you to de-privatize things once the conservatives sell them off.

lmao wtf really? that's stupid

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006
yeah that's bullshit

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Xaris posted:

lmao wtf really? that's stupid

You have to buy it rather than just taking it (with some exceptions where you can revoke/not renew a license, like railways and such). Also private companies have to be allowed to bid for certain kinds of government contracts.

That's about it. The issue with old Labour and EU is mostly that Thatcher was pro-eu which was enough to turn a large part of the older UK left against.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Sep 28, 2017

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
For railways you are obligated to allow multiple companies to run trains on the same line, and the government cannot have a monopoly on the rail
Also for anything else you have to let private companies bid for things so basically any big evil corporation with deep enough pockets get anything they want

The EU also loves austerity. Just because insane loser racists also hate the EU doesn't make it nice or left-wing

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Maya Fey posted:

Did they decide what to do with EU immigrants yet

1. Kick all the poles out of the country
2. Cut all their social benefits so their poor working class has to shoulder the debt
3. Force them to work for minimum wage in a country that just lost 20% of its value due to brexit and has to get by on even less
4. Act surprised when they start complaining about substandard living conditions and poor healthcare after the had just made it nearly impossible to reenact any social policies because they rich will raise hell about being taxed more.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga

Dyna Soar posted:

uk shot themselves in the leg, arrogant idiots still thinking they're relevant outside of being the gate to eus single market.

eu will not become irrelevant, it will just have to move forward to becoming a proper federation like the other superpowers. gently caress eastern europe, gently caress the nationalists.

congratulations, france is the new entry gate to the EU and will replace the UK easily.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

EAT. SHIT.

CountryMatters posted:

Also for anything else you have to let private companies bid for things so basically any big evil corporation with deep enough pockets get anything they want

That's a bit hyperbolic. If they want to provide their own services according to a contract at a loss then they of course can win most government contracts, but that's nowhere near getting everything they want.

If you look at the places with nationalised rail (like say Germany or even London underground for that matter) there are only a few lines serviced by private companies. There is an issue there when the private companies cherrypick the most profitable lines, but ultimately even then it's not a huge issue.

e
This is of course ignoring the fact that UK does not have nationalised rail in the first place, and that there is a clear legal path to nationalise it within the EU (not renewing licenses for the providers).

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Sep 28, 2017

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Private Speech posted:

That's a bit hyperbolic. If they want to provide their own services according to a contract at a loss then they of course can win most government contracts, but that's nowhere near getting everything they want.

If you look at the places with nationalised rail (like say Germany or France or even London underground for that matter) there are only a few lines serviced by private companies. There is an issue there where the private companies cherrypick the most profitable lines, but ultimately it's not a huge issue.

I think if you believe that natural monopolies should be exclusively ran by the government for the public good, it is fair to be against an organisation which prevents you from doing so. The EU has other, positive aspects, but it is fundamentally neoliberal and will always eventually side with big business and capitalist interests over the interest of the public good. As a leftist, that can be frustrating, particularly when there is not really any democratic method to do anything about it.

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Lets see, a financial based country with no natural resources or domestic manufacturing dependent on trade with the EU vs an entire continent...

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Oh yeah a lot of their GDP is tied into real estate (which is actually lovely old small buildings) and a 20% loss of value for their currency and an oncoming recession.... lol

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Maya Fey posted:

I believe the voting patterns read that the areas that benefit most from EU funding voted to leave the EU. Cornwall for example gets a lot of funding from the EU and after the results came out there were an awful lot of people from Cornwall asking whether the government would match the £60 million it gets per year...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...n-a7603921.html

:allears:

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
Oh ya the UK government hasn't even done any quantitative easening to fix their budget shortfalls yet so LOL if you bought in early or right now...

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I believe the voting patterns read that the areas that benefit most from EU funding voted to leave the EU. Cornwall for example gets a lot of funding from the EU and after the results came out there were an awful lot of people from Cornwall asking whether the government would match the £60 million it gets per year...

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...n-a7603921.html

:allears:

One positive aspect of the EU was pushing countries to actually put some quantity of investment in their more impoverished areas. They weren't really receiving funding from the EU, since they got back less than the UK was paying in to the EU, but that money would at least then end up in Wales or the north or something. The UK government thinks that everyone outside of London is some sort of illiterate bog person, and would have just spent that money on another garden bridge or a London vanity project.
They could have done with funding more transport infrastructure and fewer things like the "Football Museum" though

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Magius1337est posted:

congratulations, france is the new entry gate to the EU and will replace the UK easily.

Looks like its gonna be ireland or, not surprisingly, germany

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
lol some people I know just lost 3.6 million and 14 million due to the currency devaluation

twoday
May 4, 2005

C-SPAM Times best-selling author
How was the U.K. the gateway to the EU?

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

twoday posted:

How was the U.K. the gateway to the EU?

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/b...a-a7666816.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/dec/25/uk-banks-financial-firms-moving-ireland

https://www.verdict.co.uk/which-companies-could-leave-the-uk-because-of-brexit/

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/may/03/jp-morgan-jobs-uk-brexit-dublin-frankfurt-luxembourg

london is where a lot of non-european companies have their european headquarters in. now everyones moving out because honestly, the uk is nothing compared to the eu single market.

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Sep 28, 2017

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

CountryMatters posted:

There are left wingers who dislike the EU too, such as the leader of the Labour party himself.
The EU is very explicitly pro corporate and pro austerity, and for left wingers who want to do stuff like take railways and water back under public ownership, they may be anti eu because the EU specifically does not allow you to de-privatize things once the conservatives sell them off.
That is bollocks, go do some google.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

If it was just bankers getting the gently caress out id be rather pleased about it but its the other stuff like totally loving the economy and prices becoming even more unlivable than they already are that bother me

Dyna Soar
Nov 30, 2006

Seaside Loafer posted:

If it was just bankers getting the gently caress out id be rather pleased about it but its the other stuff like totally loving the economy and prices becoming even more unlivable than they already are that bother me

Banking are def the biggest industry affected by brexit, but basically every company with more business in the eu than the uk will at least downsize their presence and move their head office to within eu borders bc of brexit

Dyna Soar fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 28, 2017

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Seaside Loafer posted:

That is bollocks, go do some google.

For existing publicly owned services pre-EU you can keep them but if you want to take back ones that are private you have to bid against private corporations. Specifically with trains you also have to allow private companies to use the rails.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

EAT. SHIT.

CountryMatters posted:

For existing publicly owned services pre-EU you can keep them but if you want to take back ones that are private you have to bid against private corporations. Specifically with trains you also have to allow private companies to use the rails.

The thing is that most public companies have advantage in that they can operate at a loss without much trouble, and so can offer better bids.

And if you mean bidding for previously private assets, how else would you determine a fair price to pay out to previous owners? Keeping in mind that those owners can be (and quite often with utilities are) fellow EU governments.

There is still some amount of eminent domain allowed too, but it's very restricted.

e: and yes, among the owners of british public infrastructure in fact are the governments of Spain (Iberdrola - a.k.a Scottish Power), Italy, Germany (Arriva - subsidiary of Deutsche Bahn), Netherlands (RWE, Abellio Trains) and France (EDF, GDF Suez)

e2: Thames Water was also somehow owned by RWE in the past :roflolmao: how did that one happen. It's now jointly owned by Canadians, Abu Dhabi and China Investment Company instead. Yeah I don't know either. But it's definitely the Brits that are the champions of public ownership, yep.

vvvv
Most elections don't have only two parties running, hth. Outside of the US anyway.

Private Speech fucked around with this message at 22:13 on Sep 29, 2017

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

cool new Metroid game posted:

also lol at 'the overwhelming verdict of the british public'. 52% of the 72% who bothered to vote sure is overwhelming.

please stop owning every single "democratically elected" government in the past 50 years

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
I never thought I'd live in a world where the EU and UK weren't things. It's gonna be weird having a bunch of individual european nations again as they get steamrolled by russia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Mengelez
Sep 11, 2001

by Azathoth
its pretty gauche to necro your own thread dude.

• Locked thread