Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?

SmokaDustbowl posted:

you should know, that's where you were conceived

don't besmirch the good name of staten island

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

ultravoices posted:

don't besmirch the good name of staten island

shaolin style

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I'm probably getting back a G4 sawtooth mac I gifted away 10 years ago tomorrow

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVq4rSEjgnA

that lost vikings track is rad

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

This dude wrote software and built a card for the Apple II to be controllable by, and act as a glorified I/O processor for, a Raspberry Pi. It's rad AF.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbqLEU35d0E

SamDabbers fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 26, 2017

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

eschaton posted:

where you went wrong was trying to keep bad Linux software running

you should be using mostly period software on those old systems, with nice minimal bridges to modern ones

yeah that visualize c200 would have been a cool lil box with cde and internet explorer 5 on it

the ultimate 90s machine

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Bloody posted:

nice hoarding pile

An old acquaintance has an 'old comuter museum' which has an impressive number of exhibits

http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/Museum/museum-inhabitants.php

e: I didn't know he had a twit for it, very much this thread

https://twitter.com/binarydinosaurs

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

https://twitter.com/chordbug/status/905772498796646400

OBTAX

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

NoneMoreNegative posted:

An old acquaintance has an 'old comuter museum' which has an impressive number of exhibits

http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/Museum/museum-inhabitants.php

e: I didn't know he had a twit for it, very much this thread

https://twitter.com/binarydinosaurs

i collect this poo poo too but i'm more interested in business-y machines

despite being a history of "home" computing your man has got a serious DEC collection going

afen
Sep 23, 2003

nemo saltat sobrius
I had one of these shitboxes:

Also sold as HP i2000, 733MHz Itanium. It had some weird EFI/BIOS-implementation that's incompatible with everything. I threw it away this year, should have kept the Smart Array 6400 though.

pram
Jun 10, 2001

Raere posted:

it's a curated display of vintage technology :argh:

pram
Jun 10, 2001

afen posted:

Also sold as HP i2000, 733MHz Itanium. It had some weird EFI/BIOS-implementation that's incompatible with everything. I threw it away this year, should have kept the Smart Array 6400 though.

:pwn: interesting, looks like poo poo though

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

yeah that visualize c200 would have been a cool lil box with cde and internet explorer 5 on it

the ultimate 90s machine

they were not that lil' really, it weighed 50+ lbs and had something like half a dozen fans all going at full tilt at all times

tbqh it doesn't really fit the thread that well, since when i had it it it wasn't yet that out of date, actually still fast for some workloads (cache-bound things mostly), and had more memory than any other machine i owned (1.5 gigs iirc). was the reason why i attempted to keep it going along with more linux-like stuff, but it was never terribly useful, hp-ux was not a very fun hobbyist thing to work with ;p

also never actually got the visualize card to do anything sane, iirc it only actually accelerated on the weirder of its video outputs and i never got it hooked up to anything

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

afen posted:

you bastard this was the o.g. itanium

whyyyy

pram posted:

:pwn: interesting, looks like poo poo though

they're ugly because they are 100% intel engineering samples

customers were never meant to see these but the project was delayed so badly intel ended up rebranding them with vendor logos (dell, ibm, sgi, etc) and drop-shipping them to end-users

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

afen posted:

Itanium is literally where EFI was invented, UEFI is when Intel ported it to x86 and standardised things a bit.

Edit: I've worked with HP-UX professionally as recently as a few months ago, I can't imagine doing it for fun :shobon:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

feedmegin posted:

Edit: I've worked with HP-UX professionally as recently as a few months ago, I can't imagine doing it for fun :shobon:

where on earth did you find active hp-ux usage

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i know i've asked this before but i can never remember - what were itaniums actually good at?

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

having high transistor counts

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

where on earth did you find active hp-ux usage

I worked for an antivirus company that among other things makes antivirus for commercial Unix. There's more out there than you might think (banks, etc), though HP is probably the smallest of the remaining Unixes and it is gradually dying off. So not only was I working with HP-UX I was writing new code for it.

And yeah, Itaniums were supposed to go mega fast by offloading all the decision making to the compiler. Trouble is the geniuses doing this were apparently hardware guys who thought compilers are magic, which they really are not, and Itaniums also didn't go mega fast. Their one niche was that they were very good at double precision floating point? I think in the early 2000s for a while.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

i know i've asked this before but i can never remember - what were itaniums actually good at?

killing competing ISAs while remaining vaporware :getin:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

space heaters

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Giving SAP-on-AIX admins an "at least I'm not..." to feel grateful about?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

it weighed 50+ lbs and had something like half a dozen fans all going at full tilt at all times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xn1fY02eHS0

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

My happiest memory from work is the year I decommissioned and scrapped a whole row of old HP-UX Itanium and Pa-risc racks.

Those servers deserved to die, along with the idiot manager who still chose hpux over Linux in 2008 because of "better support" and "higher performance"

We still have a couple of rx6600s racked because they are too heavy for anyone to bother throwing them out I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

r u ready to WALK posted:

Those servers deserved to die, along with the idiot manager who still chose hpux over Linux in 2008 because of "better support" and "higher performance"

wow

• Locked thread