Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
here's another old computer thread like i've made every couple of years

someone recycled an hp 9000 model 832 pa-risc hp-ux server here and there's no way for me to rescue it and it's not worth enough to keep it on a shelf and sell on ebay probably

there were some D-series servers too

:sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

one time i was at the thrift store and they had a TRS-80 Model 100 (one of the portable ones) for $25

i didnt buy it for some reason and i still regret it

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

work took down all the old computers they had on display. sucks.

anyways i have a powerbook op can i join

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
does this still exist? I can ask some people if they're interested.

also atomicthumbs do you IRC?

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

eschaton posted:

does this still exist? I can ask some people if they're interested.

also atomicthumbs do you IRC?

it exists and is in the back, idk if my boss would want to go through trouble for it if it's not worth a decent amount, unless they can pick it up today in the north bay

i used to irc more and i have a quassel install idling on a number of channels, but not very much lately

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
old computers are cool

my NeXTstation is less than happy with the SCSI2SD that I put in it, lots of random SCSI errors it seems to power through, I need to find the right combination of settings to make it happy

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I just bought an Atari Jaguar and a USB-connected debugging board.

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

Luigi Thirty posted:

I just bought an Atari Jaguar and a USB-connected debugging board.

so jelly

pram
Jun 10, 2001
id like a nextstation but every one ive seen needed a ton of effort and apple is still hiding service packs i guess? lol

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

pram posted:

id like a nextstation but every one ive seen needed a ton of effort and apple is still hiding service packs i guess? lol

"hiding service packs"

as if there was anything at all done on OPENSTEP past 4.2 patch 4 (the Y2K update), the suite of beta drivers for Intel hardware that were released at the same time (like the VESA driver) were the end of it as far as I know

you can find OPENSTEP 4.2 easily enough, same with the image of the 1.44MB boot floppy needed to install the OS, and same with the post-install patches

I've never seen black hardware take lots of effort, you just need a working SCSI disk over 500MB and under 2GB and a non-suck SCSI CD-ROM drive (like pretty much any Apple or Sun drive) and it's dirt simple to get up and running

my only difficulty with my NeXTstation has been due to SCSI2SD initially exposing geometry that gives newfs fits, and subsequently being flaky in ways that real HDs usually aren't

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

i want a bebox

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

they're kinda neat, and surprisingly zippy

I need to dig up my media and restore it to the latest OS it'll take (not the latest released, alas, logic board's old enough not to have enough room in flash for the boot ROM)

it even has the blinky front panel and GeekPort

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
I picked up a G4 Cube on eBay and it came with a Cinema Display.

Clearly a dad bought it and never used it and his teenage kid took it over because the HD was full of 2002-era songs in iTunes.

I put a gig of RAM into it and an SSD. Because Safari doesn't understand modern TLS, TenFourFox works but writhes in agony when having to browse the 'modern web' (no fan so you cannot hear it scream)

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

run Mac OS 9 and Classilla on it

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

OS9 and every After Dark collection from http://macintoshgarden.org/search/node/after%20dark

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

After dark was so cool

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ev nova, op

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

atomicthumbs posted:

i want a bebox

they only sold like ~1,000 beboxes

they are p. rare

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Jimmy Carter posted:

I picked up a G4 Cube on eBay and it came with a Cinema Display.

Clearly a dad bought it and never used it and his teenage kid took it over because the HD was full of 2002-era songs in iTunes.

I put a gig of RAM into it and an SSD. Because Safari doesn't understand modern TLS, TenFourFox works but writhes in agony when having to browse the 'modern web' (no fan so you cannot hear it scream)

install linux on it

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

hey so uh if anyone in the bay area wants to pay my boss $200-250 for the HP 9000 i put the cards back in and slud it under a table

it probably won't be there past the end of the week

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

install linux on it

i have my g3 imac set up to triple boot os9/tiger/ubuntu it owns

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

My office

from left to right:

TRS-80 Model 100
VT220
SGI Octane2
Macintosh SE
Osborne 1

Everything except the Mac (bad HDD) and Osborne (bad memory) work 100%

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Raere posted:

My office

from left to right:

TRS-80 Model 100
VT220
SGI Octane2
Macintosh SE
Osborne 1

which one are you are posting from?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

model 100 as a portable posting station right?

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

akadajet posted:

which one are you are posting from?

The SGI via the fsn graphical filesystem program

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

eschaton posted:

model 100 as a portable posting station right?

the model 100 modem port only has pulse dialing which is just too new for me

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Luigi Thirty posted:

i have my g3 imac set up to triple boot os9/tiger/ubuntu it owns

its been years, but i remember being impressed with how well ubuntu ran on my g3. i should fish out my g3 beige pizza box and make it a vintage os9 box, though. thatd be a nice weekend project and give it something to do besides run xpostfacto

[quote="“Raere”" post="“476767765”"]

My office

from left to right:

TRS-80 Model 100
VT220
SGI Octane2
Macintosh SE
Osborne 1

[/quote]

i always thought the sgis looked cool as heck tbh

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

i've got a TRS-80 model 100 sitting around but it doesn't work :( it doesn't turn on

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

i have an old toshiba laptop w/ a 486 33mhz

i kno that doesnt sound impressive but it's the first laptop model ever released with lithium ion batteries

yeah i kno still not impressive

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Raere posted:

My office

from left to right:

TRS-80 Model 100
VT220
SGI Octane2
Macintosh SE
Osborne 1

nice hoarding pile

Raere
Dec 13, 2007

Bloody posted:

nice hoarding pile

it's a curated display of vintage technology :argh:

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

Agile Vector posted:

its been years, but i remember being impressed with how well ubuntu ran on my g3. i should fish out my g3 beige pizza box and make it a vintage os9 box, though. thatd be a nice weekend project and give it something to do besides run xpostfacto

i always thought the sgis looked cool as heck tbh

they are even cooler inside than out

memory bandwidth to die for
a crossbar switch instead of a system bus
1990s numa
a weird and terrible unix with odd and nifty features

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

i've got a TRS-80 model 100 sitting around but it doesn't work :( it doesn't turn on

you can probably make it turn on easily enough if it's not a corrosion problem, with just a recap

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

I determined that my PowerBook 100 wasn't booting because the power supply is busted, so a little bit of banging things together let me power it from my bench supply…

…to discover both its HD and its display also aren't working

the display is probably just a cable, seems to be a common problem, it may even just need reseating; the backlight turns on, but the contrast and brightness controls have no effect

the HD is probably toast, unless just letting it warm up sufficiently gets it working or something (I've seen that happen), at least it has external SCSI and it seemed to boot a System 7 Disk Tools floppy from its matched floppy drive

other than that the hardware is in fine, fine shape: even the battery contacts look smooth and polished, there's no gunk in the trackball whatsoever, the flip-down feet are both still intact as is the back cover latch, and there's not even thumb wear on the space bar, it seems barely used

what's weird about it is that the bag it came in was a bit beat up, maybe the computer was never really used but still carried from one home to another or something

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

when i threw my visualize c200 in the trash after years of maintaining my own patches to keep bad linux software running on hp-ux i decided against ever again going into old hardware obsessions

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

where you went wrong was trying to keep bad Linux software running

you should be using mostly period software on those old systems, with nice minimal bridges to modern ones

(says the guy who got mbedTLS and libssh2 building on Mac OS 9, and has done a little hacking towards making QuickLisp work on Macintosh Common Lisp…)

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

My old work had a couple of MicroVAXes 'just in case' til a few years ago. They wouldn't let me take one home when they got chucked out :(

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Raere posted:

My office

from left to right:

TRS-80 Model 100
VT220
SGI Octane2
Macintosh SE
Osborne 1

whats it like working at the dump?