Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
In the vein of scientists believing in stupid things, Kary Mullis is a biochemist who won a nobel prize for important improvements of the PCR technique.

He doesn't believe HIV causes AIDS (shares the view of the Duisburg guy mentioned in the syfy article), is a climate change denier and believes in astrology.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Kary Mullis is a motherfucker and PCR was inevitable it's just a matter of who got thre 2 mos before the next person

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Crazy how it only takes 5 doctors sucking each other’s dick and publishing peer reviewed articles to make up an entirely new disease and cure that’s referencable as gospel truth by the entire scientific and medical community. It’s like wow now there’s copdceliacsfibromyaspergers and a whole industry of deadly medicine associated with it. Back in they day they’d just give you heroin cough syrup with mercury in it and you’d be dead in 2 weeks, reckon. :clint:

cnut
May 3, 2016

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Back in they day they’d just give you heroin cough syrup with mercury in it and you’d be dead in 2 weeks, reckon. :clint:

That we should be so lucky :okpos:

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Duckbox posted:

Can we discuss the fact that Marie Curie was a terrible scientist and female role model who spent her life fighting the emerging scientific consensus on radiation poisoning despite watching her husband and everyone else in their lab slowly succumb to it?

Also that she refused to let other people study radium because she liked having the monopoly on it and wouldn't release anything that suggested it was dangerous so it was sold as a magic cure all and thousands of people died from it, but it's ok because now she's a famous science hero for discovering a cool new way to poison herself and everyone around her.

A lot like the leaded gasoline guy, tbh.

actually her husband Pierre Curie slipped one day on Paris streets and fell under a oncoming horse cart and it splattered his head. but your right about everything else.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Falukorv posted:

In the vein of scientists believing in stupid things, Kary Mullis is a biochemist who won a nobel prize for important improvements of the PCR technique.

He doesn't believe HIV causes AIDS (shares the view of the Duisburg guy mentioned in the syfy article), is a climate change denier and believes in astrology.

didnt the heimlich also have crazy poo poo. like he belived you could cure HIV/aids with malaria.

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot

Dapper_Swindler posted:

didnt the heimlich also have crazy poo poo. like he belived you could cure HIV/aids with malaria.

There's a great dollop episode about him

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

ClamdestineBoyster posted:

Crazy how it only takes 5 doctors sucking each other’s dick and publishing peer reviewed articles to make up an entirely new disease and cure that’s referencable as gospel truth by the entire scientific and medical community. It’s like wow now there’s copdceliacsfibromyaspergers and a whole industry of deadly medicine associated with it. Back in they day they’d just give you heroin cough syrup with mercury in it and you’d be dead in 2 weeks, reckon. :clint:

orphan drugs are a crazy profitable business

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

"I'm gonna make a juicer that just squeezes packages. I'm gonna make it wi-fi capable. And, I'm gonna charge $400 for it."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

• Locked thread