Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

The Wiener situation actually surprised me, did he actually think he would get away with it?

:page3:

Lazer Monkey fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Oct 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Roflan posted:

If the supposed purpose of these 'societies' is to be a forum for equals to engage in debate and discussion(heh) and not be a place to jerk each other off about how superior they are to everyone else, wouldn't something like an informal interview where you discuss a wide variety of intellectual or obscure topics with a member or group of members be a better test than a test the autist savant could pass?

Sorry for rhetorically asking the obvious.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

This week Belgian judge Mieke Butstraen sentenced two parents to a suspended six-month jail sentence over the death of their seven-month-old baby Lucas. The couple owned a health food store in Beveren and fed the child vegetable milk made of "oak, buckwheat, rice, and quinoa," according to the BBC. He died weighing nine pounds, which is at least seven pounds underweight according to CDC numbers, and had organs that shrunk to half their normal size.

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/wjqbem/judge-convicts-parents-after-baby-dies-from-vegan-diet

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

This week Belgian judge Mieke Butstraen sentenced two parents to a suspended six-month jail sentence over the death of their seven-month-old baby Lucas. The couple owned a health food store in Beveren and fed the child vegetable milk made of "oak, buckwheat, rice, and quinoa," according to the BBC. He died weighing nine pounds, which is at least seven pounds underweight according to CDC numbers, and had organs that shrunk to half their normal size.

https://broadly.vice.com/en_us/article/wjqbem/judge-convicts-parents-after-baby-dies-from-vegan-diet

they were correct in assuming the mother herself was toxic

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
That's not amusing at all. :(

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
einstein wrote some stupid poo poo on a blackboard once. i bring this up constantly because actually, we both share the same iq score.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Strudel Man posted:

That's not amusing at all. :(

Oops

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

dont sweat it, i chuckled :)

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Can we discuss the fact that Marie Curie was a terrible scientist and female role model who spent her life fighting the emerging scientific consensus on radiation poisoning despite watching her husband and everyone else in their lab slowly succumb to it?

Also that she refused to let other people study radium because she liked having the monopoly on it and wouldn't release anything that suggested it was dangerous so it was sold as a magic cure all and thousands of people died from it, but it's ok because now she's a famous science hero for discovering a cool new way to poison herself and everyone around her.

A lot like the leaded gasoline guy, tbh.

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.
This lady convinced herself that a pants-making GBS threads retard was in love with her, and she was in love with him. Then she raped him.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

BluesShaman posted:

This lady convinced herself that a pants-making GBS threads retard was in love with her, and she was in love with him. Then she raped him.

Oh yeah I remember that thread, did she get time?

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Duckbox posted:

Can we discuss the fact that Marie Curie was a terrible scientist and female role model who spent her life fighting the emerging scientific consensus on radiation poisoning despite watching her husband and everyone else in their lab slowly succumb to it?

Also that she refused to let other people study radium because she liked having the monopoly on it and wouldn't release anything that suggested it was dangerous so it was sold as a magic cure all and thousands of people died from it, but it's ok because now she's a famous science hero for discovering a cool new way to poison herself and everyone around her.

Wikipedia posted:

She was known for her honesty and moderate life style.[22][75] Having received a small scholarship in 1893, she returned it in 1897 as soon as she began earning her keep.[11][30] She gave much of her first Nobel Prize money to friends, family, students, and research associates.[14] In an unusual decision, Curie intentionally refrained from patenting the radium-isolation process, so that the scientific community could do research unhindered.[76] She insisted that monetary gifts and awards be given to the scientific institutions she was affiliated with rather than to her.[75] She and her husband often refused awards and medals.[22] Albert Einstein reportedly remarked that she was probably the only person who could not be corrupted by fame.[14]

:thunk:

BluesShaman
Apr 25, 2016

She wore Blue Velvet.

Lazer Monkey posted:

Oh yeah I remember that thread, did she get time?

She got 12 years, but the conviction was overturned this summer. http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...n_case_has.html

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

I agree that's dumb but at least she had the excuse of being born in 1860 when a lot of medicine was probably crap nuts

Also woah she had a nice painting done in the 1880s!

Hello Nurse!

Also I think my post history probably qualifies for this thread.

Lazer Monkey
Jan 15, 2005

BluesShaman posted:

She got 12 years, but the conviction was overturned this summer. http://www.slate.com/articles/healt...n_case_has.html

Aww geez so, they are upholding facilitated communication as true science and overturning her sentence because of this, was there a lobbying group involved?

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

BluesShaman posted:

Goddamn it

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Totes

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Duckbox posted:

someones jelly

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nX3MUpmD7g8

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Creative thread. Gives pick the schadenfreude therapy she wants, but also has interesting content and good potential for content-heavy responses

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

GBS hates women.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

BluesShaman posted:

But Enough About The OP :D

Nigmaetcetera
Nov 17, 2004

borkborkborkmorkmorkmork-gabbalooins

Guy Mann posted:

GBS hates women.

No, GBS loves the severely mentally handicapped.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
Oh, I just remembered I wrote an article for SyFy that fits here:
8 incredibly dumb theories famous scientists actually believed

Dr Strangepants
Nov 26, 2003

Mein Führer! I can dance!

Drunk Nerds posted:

Nice article. Now we know his name...

Tesla also believed a pigeon had a human soul and loved him, or something like that. And that he could make free energy for all of society by manipulating the Earths magnetic field. Which, even if it were possible, I don't see how "beaming" large quantities of free energy across the globe would be any different from a death ray. Not to say he wasn't a genius.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

woof. that's the good poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Dr Strangepants posted:

Nice article. Now we know his name...

Tesla also believed a pigeon had a human soul and loved him, or something like that. And that he could make free energy for all of society by manipulating the Earths magnetic field. Which, even if it were possible, I don't see how "beaming" large quantities of free energy across the globe would be any different from a death ray. Not to say he wasn't a genius.

I mean, giving everyone in the world free wireless electricity sounds p cool and good

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i love women, 's tits

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Orkin Mang posted:

i love women, 's tits

Rookie mistake

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Former DILF posted:

yuo should suck he dick

Only if he blows his load like he throws a custard pie.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Pick posted:

In the weeks before his arrest, Rader had asked po­lice whether he could communicate with them via a floppy disk without being traced to a particular computer.

Wait, how did they trace it back to his church's computer?

BluesShaman posted:

Speaking of pants making GBS threads retards, let's talk about Ted Nugent.

Interview with the idiotic piece of poo poo posted:

I got my physical notice 30 days prior to. Well, on that day I ceased cleansing my body. No more brushing my teeth, no more washing my hair, no baths, no soap, no water. Thirty days of debris build. I stopped shavin' and I was 18, had a little scraggly beard, really looked like a hippie. I had long hair, and it started gettin' kinky, matted up. Then two weeks before, I stopped eating any food with nutritional value. I just had chips, Pepsi, beer-stuff I never touched-buttered poop, little jars of Polish sausages, and I'd drink the syrup, I was this side of death, Then a week before, I stopped going to the bathroom. I did it in my pants. poop, piss the whole shot. My pants got crusted up.

[...]

So I went in, and those guys in uniform couldn't believe the smell. They were ridiculin' me and pushin' me around and I was cryin', but all the time I was laughin' to myself. When they stuck the needle in my arm for the blood test I passed out, and when I came to they were kicking me into the wall. Then they made everybody take off their pants, and I did, and this sergeant says, "Oh my God, put those back on! You loving swine you!" Then they had a urine test and I couldn't piss, But my poop was just like ooze, man, so I poop in the cup and put it on the counter. I had poop on my hand and my arm. The guy almost puked. I was so proud. I knew I had these chumps beat. The last thing I remember was wakin' up in the ear test booth and they were sweepin' up. So I went home and cleaned up.

[...]

But you know the funny thing about it? I'd make an incredible army man. I'd be a colonel before you knew what hit you, and I'd have the baddest bunch of motherfuckin' killers you'd ever seen in my platoon. But I just wasn't into it.

Fantastic Flyer
Aug 9, 2017
I poo poo my pants and acted like a retard, but I totally could have been a cool army man! Also I never poo poo my pants and acted like a retard, fake news.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Orkin Mang posted:

i love women, 's tits

EVERYONE DOES

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Gorilla Salad posted:

Speaking of pants making GBS threads retards, let's talk about Ted Nugent.

Truly, it was the army that got owned on that day.

Evil Agita
Feb 25, 2005

Lord Fool, give me another chance. I'll prove my strength to you!

Gorilla Salad posted:

I think there was a document he had written on the disk that included his name. He deleted it before sending the disk in but yeah- computer forensics found it because he's a computer dingus and was too cheap to buy a new box of floppies.

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Guy Mann posted:

High IQ societies are a fun hole to get lost in. Modern science can't even really define or quantify intelligence let alone measure it on some objective scale yet there is always someone who swears that they've figured out how to separate the true intellectual aristocracy from the untermenschen and it just happens to place them at the very tippy top.

If these people were for real they'd use their collective genius to do something good for humanity but as far as I can tell they just circlejerk each other over how smart they are.

im old rick bitch
Oct 19, 2004

How does it feel?
This is so nuts, we'd probably chalk it up to legend if Pythagoras wasn't such a well-known freak (he forbade his followers from touching or eating beans)

looooool actual best part of that article ty for posting this

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
e: oops

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
It's already common knowledge in smug internet circles but Sir Arthur Conan Doyle was a loon who believed in ghosts, psychics, and fairies. A couple of British kids managed to convince the author of Sherlock Holmes that they had incontrovertible physical evidence of fairies by staging photos with paper cutouts:

He also had a massive beef with Houdini because he was convinced Houdini was using actual magic and lying about it (Houdini famously debunked a lot of spiritualists and magicians at a time when it was not as widely acknowledged that stage magic was not real.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Give the man a break, at the time we didn't know that fairies don't show up on camera.

• Locked thread