Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
@fbi mr policeman i left u all the #clues

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

whatever7 posted:

Question for true crime readers, do you think traditional serial killer is no longer as trendy in America? Do you think they have moved to planned public act of terrorist killing/shooting? Or do you know we still have as many serial killers secretly running around and killing people in the night but they just don't get as much media attention anymore?

For the most part yes. I think a large part of the reason is over the past few decades serial killers became in vogue so to say. They became popular to learn about and see in our TV shows and movies. A reason they aren't as trendy these days I think has to do with time. Mass shootings or terrorist acts are usually a single massive incident that is covered relentlessly for days or weeks. It is also what scares people more thanks to that as well. Most people don't think, these days, that they will be a victim of a serial killer but a mass shooting instead. That isn't always the case. During Son of Sam in New York people were legit terrified. Women would change their hairstyles so they didn't look like the victims of his. Same thing goes The Nightstalker.

For serial killers it takes a long time for them to even get recognize or known to operate at all. Until they are really caught, like the recent Golden State Killer the vast majority of people might not even know a serial killer existed. Once they are caught then people will learn and be interested in it. And to agree with what Henchman of Santa stated. Most of the recognizable names in serial killer history are in jail or dead.

There is going to be another Gacy, Dahmer or even a Ridgway one day and they might even be out there now operating. But until they are caught the media really won't report on it. Unless you are that into true crime and serial killers the general population just doesn't know.

Digital Jedi fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Apr 30, 2018

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Quick someone make an app for sending messages to people that doesn't require cutting out letters from magazine headlines.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Thanks for the reply. Do serial killer still leave challenge message to newspaper? I imagine they do it thru reddit nowadays.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

The WaPo Comment Section Killer. "YOOO I earned $250K last year working from home BY KILLING YOUR DAUGHTERS AND CONSUMING THEIR BLOOD LIKE DIVINE AMBROSIA discount macbooks only $499 [insert tinyurl]."

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Digital Jedi posted:

For the most part yes. I think a large part of the reason is over the past few decades serial killers became in vogue so to say. They became popular to learn about and see in our TV shows and movies. A reason they aren't as trendy these days I think has to do with time. Mass shootings or terrorist acts are usually a single massive incident that is covered relentlessly for days or weeks. It is also what scares people more thanks to that as well. Most people don't think, these days, that they will be a victim of a serial killer but a mass shooting instead. That isn't always the case. During Son of Sam in New York people were legit terrified. Women would change their hairstyles so they didn't look like the victims of his. Same thing goes The Nightstalker.

For serial killers it takes a long time for them to even get recognize or known to operate at all. Until they are really caught, like the recent Golden State Killer the vast majority of people might not even know a serial killer existed. Once they are caught then people will learn and be interested in it. And to agree with what Henchman of Santa stated. Most of the recognizable names in serial killer history are in jail or dead.

There is going to be another Gacy, Dahmer or even a Ridgway one day and they might even be out there now operating. But until they are caught the media really won't report on it. Unless you are that into true crime and serial killers the general population just doesn't know.

One of the crazier ones in recent times was Juana Barraza simply because the Mexican police didn't seem to think that a woman could be a serial killer, so it took them quite a long time to figure out what was going on.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

whatever7 posted:

Just saw this series, I was not aware the crime of Richard Speck until this show. His wiki article mess me good.

The rest of the serial killers, I was kind of "gotten used to" them thanks to overexposure to detective novel series like Bosch.

Question for true crime readers, do you think traditional serial killer is no longer as trendy in America? Do you think they have moved to planned public act of terrorist killing/shooting? Or do you know we still have as many serial killers secretly running around and killing people in the night but they just don't get as much media attention anymore?

I think mentally hosed people have sidelined serial killing in favor of mass shootings because evading the authorities for long periods of time isn't sustainable in the current surveillance state and digitized society that we live in. Now add in the modern miracles of DNA testing that brought down The Golden State Killer and, welp.

Big Bidness
Aug 2, 2004

viral spiral posted:

I think mentally hosed people have sidelined serial killing in favor of mass shootings because evading the authorities for long periods of time isn't sustainable in the current surveillance state that we live in. Now add in the miracles of modern DNA testing that brought down The Golden State Killer and, welp.

Literally hundreds of women disappear every year and are never heard from or seen again. They're mostly poor, and often drug users or sex workers so their disappearances are never investigated. A lot of times they're never officially reported as missing. When their bodies are found, they're held for a few months and dumped in potter's fields, and the smallest amount of effort possible is put into finding out what happened to them.

After 9/11 federal funding and assistance to local law enforcement was slashed for cases that don't involve the "war on terror" or "the war on drugs". A bunch of states don't swab convicted felons for DNA samples, and even if they do those samples often get put into a freezer and forgotten. Just like the samples taken from rape victims.

If anyone thinks serial killers are a thing of the past, check out this map from the FBI's Highway Serial Killer Initiative. 750 bodies found dumped along US highways in the last 30 years. 250 of those since 2004.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich
holy poo poo I stand corrected then

:smith:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

the only thing in common between mass shooters and serial killers is they both kill. motives, means, etc are all very different.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I really don't like the girlfriend actress. She has no warmth. Maybe the actress found out she is just a narration device with occasionally sex scenes.

I think I will check out the books, I have a feeling it's better than the show.

Ballz
Dec 16, 2003

it's mario time

I thought it was more the paper thin character she portrayed rather than her acting abilities. She was basically a narrative device and I hope she’s not back for season 2.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I maintain what I said earlier, that the writers have never spoken to a woman

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I'm glad Fincher is directing more of this show but bummed that it's just two more episodes. I guess he's busy making movies which is good but the episodes he's directed so far are loving gorgeous to look at and impeccably edited.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Henchman of Santa posted:

I maintain what I said earlier, that the writers have never spoken to a woman

I disagree, the doctor is a very good character and was well acted, she act and talk realistically within the academia and governmental bureaucracy backdrop.

The girlfriend actor was given enough material to do her acting. There were some psychological mind game dialogues she could work with and she came up empty every time.

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fincher should have just made a Ed Kemper movie to begin with, because he rules.

viral spiral
Sep 19, 2017

by R. Guyovich

Stare-Out posted:

I'm glad Fincher is directing more of this show but bummed that it's just two more episodes. I guess he's busy making movies which is good but the episodes he's directed so far are loving gorgeous to look at and impeccably edited.

I read somewhere that he's in charge of casting and the overall direction of the plot as well. This show would have never been made without him and his connections, after all.

And yeah, every one of Fincher's films are beautifully shot. This show is like the TV version of Zodiac. I love it.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

viral spiral posted:

I read somewhere that he's in charge of casting and the overall direction of the plot as well. This show would have never been made without him and his connections, after all.

And yeah, every one of Fincher's films are beautifully shot. This show is like the TV version of Zodiac. I love it.

I do like that he clearly has a more hands-on approach with this show than he did with House of Cards (despite being the exec. producer) and I feel this show manages to maintain the Fincher style better than House of Cards did as it progressed.

And yeah, this does ring heavily of Zodiac. I've recommended it in this thread before I think but seriously, loving watch Zodiac, it's one of his best movies by a long shot and that's saying something.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wish it was just mindhunting and no personal lives.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wish it was just mindhunting and no personal lives.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
But how do we get ahead of crazy fucks if we don't know how vanilla fucks crazy?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Stare-Out posted:

I've recommended it in this thread before I think but seriously, loving watch Zodiac, it's one of his best movies by a long shot and that's saying something.

Seriously, Zodiac is absolutely brilliant.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

whatever7 posted:

Fincher should have just made a Ed Kemper movie to begin with, because he rules.

The scene at the end of the final episode with Kemper in the hospital might be my favorite Fincher scene ever, and that's saying a lot.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice
Are you an obsessive vintage audio nerd? Like Mindhunter? Ever wondered about the equipment used in that great opening credits sequence?

Techmoan has you covered:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfUBOVhKlEo

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
The basic difficult thing in serial killers and catching them hasn't really changed over the years: someone who murders because they want to murder doesn't have anything going on for them linking them to the crimes per default. After all, most homicides are done by people who are intimately familiar with the victim, and the cops tend to have something to point them at the right suspect from day one.

Finnish cops, for instance, brag about solving 95% of all murders. But statistics that take into account for if there was more than a theoretical investigation show that only about 60% of those murders where there's not a day one suspect get solved.

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKMMpCuK3bA

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah it should just be the ed kemper show.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Jesus that turn to the camera :gonk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something
Check out this real interview with Ed Kemper. That actors portrayal of him is completely spot on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTnEY8y-p7M

• Locked thread