Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gZCfRD_zWE

Wikipedia | IMDB | Production Notes

David Fincher (Seven, Zodiac) returns to Netflix with MINDHUNTER, a rigorous study of the damaged psyches of serial killers and the innovative FBI Agents who attempt to understand and catch them.

Written & created by Joe Penhall (The Road) and Jennifer Haley (Hemlock Grove) with executive producer Charlize Theron (Mad Max: Fury Road), Mindhunter was inspired by the memoir of FBI veteran John R Douglas, Mindhunter: Inside the FBI’s Elite Serial Crime Unit (written with Mark Olshaker).

synopsis posted:

Mindhunter follows ambitious FBI agent Holden Ford (Jonathan Groff) as he struggles to comprehend incarcerated killers, so that he might use this knowledge to catch others.

He’s teamed with experienced agent Bill Tench (Holt McCallany) in the Behavioral Science Unit and will work with his sometimes reluctant partner to find new methods of investigation to help teach local law enforcement.

Together they will meet some of America’s gravest killers – and face the cynicism and scorn of the tradition-bound hierarchy of the 1970s’ Federal Bureau of Investigation.
Cast

FBI Special Agents Bill Tench (Holt McCallany) and Holden Ford (Jonathan Groff); based on Robert K. Ressler & John E. Douglas.

Wendy (Anna Torv), a psychologist and lecturer at MIT; based on Dr. Ann Wolbert Burgess.

Edmund Kemper (Cameron Britton) the "Co-Ed Killer"

Videos
Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gZCfRD_zWE
Trailer 2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evdxH50J3rs
Teaser: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LR3G1lWbnUU
Teaser: Sex with your face https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYl14aLjkg0

Mindhunter has already been renewed for a second season by Netflix which is currently filming and has been in production since May, 2017.

Will update OP soon, but for now have this: https://thefincheranalyst.com/series/2017-mindhunter-season-01/mindhunter-production-notes/

drunkill fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 15, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Saw the first 6. The fact I did it all in one watch probably speaks to the quality of the show!

Show is still very good after Fincher steps away after the first two, but the show doesn't look as ~amazing~ as it does in the opening episodes.

Do we know if he's going to direct at all in season 2 or is this like House of Cards where he just leaves it be?

I don't really have much to say except I really like it, and the drop in, drop out gumshoe detective stuff works really well along with the big picture serial killer unit building stuff.

Obviously, I'm assuming we're not spoiling so (real life spoilers)

I'm assuming they can't catch the dude they didn't get until like forty years later in the first season so it's interesting they've got him in all the opens. I guess they get brought in to consult at some point even if they don't catch him?

And yeah, in case it wasn't obvious the lead in this show is based off of the same real life dude that the protagonist in Red Dragon/Manhunter was based off of, and same for all the cold opens being the guy Dolarhyde was based off of.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
Well I did notice that Dennis Rader features heavily in this shows credits on IMDB and the BTK Killer wasn't caught until the mid 2000s. Not sure if thats the guy you're referring to though. Not sure if we should use spoilers for things that happen in real life.

Le Saboteur fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Oct 13, 2017

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Le Saboteur posted:

Well I did notice that Dennis Rader features heavily in this shows credits on IMDB and the BTK Killer wasn't caught until the mid 2000s. Not sure if thats the guy you're referring to though. Not sure if we should use spoilers for things that happen in real life.

Yeah that does make sense, I was just being cautious.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Spoilers for real life stuff and the show is fine in here, maybe spoiler tags for the first few posts for random people checking in.

algebra testes posted:

Saw the first 6. The fact I did it all in one watch probably speaks to the quality of the show!

Show is still very good after Fincher steps away after the first two, but the show doesn't look as ~amazing~ as it does in the opening episodes.

Do we know if he's going to direct at all in season 2 or is this like House of Cards where he just leaves it be?

Fincher directed four episodes of the season. The first two and the last two. I'm upto episode 8, watched 5 in a row and two more before bed but I have to sleep. This show is very bingeworthy.

I love the production value in this show, the soundtrack is fantastic and I'm racing to hit the 'watch credits' button at the end of every episode to listen to the music without it skipping after 5 seconds (GLOW had me doing the same). There is also a short, not very significant (mostly) scene at an airport carpark yet there are easily 50 odd old cars and vans in frame and another scene shopping on a pretty busy main street which all looks period correct. A lot of effort went into this.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The dude playing Kemper is super creepy and menacing, good job there.

Does the lead remind anyone else of Glenn Howerton?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
First episode is Zodiac as gently caress, this is good

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

Can't wait to watch tonight. Zodiac is by far my favorite Fincher movie and one of my favorite movies of all time. And I've been looking forward to this show for that very reason.

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time
I was forced into reading the book this show is loosely based off of in college as an elective course requirement. It actually turned out to be the most interesting thing I read my entire college career, so I'm all in on this.

Liking the show so far, surprised there's already going to be a second season.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Oh man, this is really good.

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!
I love how it subverts the Grizzled Veteran Partner trope. It initially seems that Bill is going to be some hard-rear end unflappable guy that only wants to do things his way, but nope, he's quick to jump on board with this new thing they're doing. He's super open-minded.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..
It’s weird that there’s suddenly a 34 min long episode in the middle of the season. With the intro and credits taken into account that’s a real short one.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
We just binged the first four episodes, and my wife and I loved it. I didn't even know much about this show going into it, aside from Fincher being involved in some way, but he's one of my favorite directors, and Zodiac is my favorite of his movies. This is outstanding.

Also, Jonathan Groff, who played the lead guy Holden Ford, played King George III in Hamilton, and that was him on the original cast recording.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy poo poo is the guy on at the beginning of each episode BTK? Wow.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

X-O posted:

Yeah I worked it out after a few because of the similarities to the Red Dragon dude so I googled it and was like yup!

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
Just started episode three and absolutely loving the show.

Glad to see Anna Torv!

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
I love how every outdoor scene/establishing shot at Quantico has a shitload of gunfire all the time.

X-O posted:

Yep. it clicked for me in the second episode when he got into the ADT van

Atreiden
May 4, 2008

Finished watching the show and man it was amazing. I thought the ending was a bit weak and for me felt a bit rushed. But I'm really looking forward to season 2 and I'm glad they already approved it.
Regarding Holden and the ending.

I felt that it was a bit to obvious how much his life mirrored aspects of the serial killers he interviewed. He tells two stories about how his mother humiliated him sexually, first by walking in on him masturbating and expressing disapproval with it. And then the story about how she asked him about how many women he had been with, when he lied and said "many" she again disapproved.

He interviews a serial killer who's trigger was getting a dear john letter from a girlfriend who was in college and then seeing his girlfriend with another man on the college campus. Holden more or less have the same experience with his girlfriend, who he sees in a somewhat intimate position with her friend Patrick.

Holden also starts a witch-hunt on the school principal who tickles kids, seeing it as an early warning of a manic behavior the principal can't and won't stop, while Holden himself does the exact same with his newfound interview techniques, despite several warnings from his colleagues.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the show and the development, I just think it was a bit to obvious what was going to happen.

I'm not really sure if the ending was even supposed to be surprising, but if it was, I think it failed somewhat.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm on episode 4 and it feels like i've been watching it all day.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

precision posted:

Hell yeah. This is a really great show though the Fincher-directed episodes felt stronger overall than the others and I hope he returns for more and doesn't House of Cards it off to others so much. It's so nice to have a show that doesn't do so much talking down to the audience and has the balls to not rush through everything and let scenes and moments breathe/build tension. The guy playing Kemper is pretty remarkable too.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Just watched the cold open to ep 1 while eating lunch, that was fun

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
This show is so goddamn unnerving.

The scene in episode 4 where his son won't hug him is really effective, too.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Holy poo poo while the direction obviously takes a downturn after the first 2 episodes, the quality does NOT. They guy they interview starting with episode 3, fffffffffuck.

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
This is a great show but drat the name is horrible. Mindhunter is something on truTV.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Can we please change the thread subtitle to “.....Pizza!”

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well Edmund Kemper is pretty much just as loving unsettling in real interviews as he is in this show. I think it would almost actually be less unsettling if he seemed like the kind of detached crazy that we generally associate with a serial killer. Hearing him talk about everything so casually and articulate is just not what the mind immediately imagines these types to be like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8x5PeZZFNs

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

X-O posted:

Well Edmund Kemper is pretty much just as loving unsettling in real interviews as he is in this show. I think it would almost actually be less unsettling if he seemed like the kind of detached crazy that we generally associate with a serial killer. Hearing him talk about everything so casually and articulate is just not what the mind immediately imagines these types to be like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8x5PeZZFNs

:aaaaa: n-n-nailed it.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
Okay where the hell is this tickle subplot going...

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Holy poo poo, that Richard Speck interview in episode nine is something else. Jesus.

-Blackadder-
Jan 2, 2007

Game....Blouses.
That was pretty good. Definitely left me wanting more. Now I have to figure out something else to watch, how annoying! I hate that post-binge itch.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
WATCH PATRIOT

Qmass
Jun 3, 2003

after the mediocrity of netflix original comic book television, this is some compelling poo poo !

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

mr. unhsib posted:

Okay where the hell is this tickle subplot going...

Not very far from the looks of it.

(Edit: I was wrong. )

Also the only episode that has no BTK killer open.

Speaking of, there has been Him mailing the press, him getting bored after his victim doesn't come home in time, and him being "strict". Did I miss anything?

Edit 2: Fincher lights everything so much differently. Also his camera setups are just more dynamic. Some classic Fincher inserts in episode 9.

Edit 3: deep loving cut on the finale music.

algebra testes fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Oct 15, 2017

SmokaDustbowl
Feb 12, 2001

by vyelkin
Fun Shoe

X-O posted:

Holy poo poo, that Richard Speck interview in episode nine is something else. Jesus.

that was so good

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Four episodes in this is real good. I didn't really like the pilot much though. It sets the groundwork well but isn't representative of the meat of the show at all. You gotta do a bit of both, Penhall!

_jink
Jan 14, 2006

SunshineDanceParty posted:

This is a great show but drat the name is horrible. Mindhunter is something on truTV.

almost skipped this for that exact reason, but ya, it's great.

the first episode had me a little leery, mainly because of the long rear end scene setting up Groff&Gross' relationship. It was going for awkward(?) but came across kinda stilted, like it was their first day on set. By the third episode I was fully on-board though, minus some minor details like Speck (since he was just mentioned) chucking the bird over his shoulder into the fan like a trickshot. Why?? This was a completely amazing scene, and smashing the bird on the table should have been the striking visual to end on, rather then a bizarre piece of theatrics. Super minor critique, but little moments where they just missed the mark kept popping up.

overall amazing though & really looking forward to a season 2!

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Halfway through and really like the show but agree the pilot is very not good. Also the girlfriend character and storyline with her and Groff currently feels a little cliched.

mr. unhsib
Sep 19, 2003
I hate you all.
The Debbie/Groff stuff is by far the worst stuff in the series, yeah.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
To contrast I’m really invested in the Anna Torv/kitty story

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
haha this whole tickling thing is brilliant. and man groff is such a talented actor

• Locked thread