Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What caused the Late Bronze Age Collapse?
goku
gently caress you
The Sea Peoples
semen
The Dorians
The Doors
:iiam:
:chaostrump:
:burgerpug:
:secsmug:
:420:
:wink:
Natural disasters
Climate change
:krust:
View Results

• Locked thread
Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Nucleic Acids posted:

If the Cahokia culture had built with stone instead of wood we'd have the equivalent of ruined Mayan cities in southern Illinois.

We also would most likely would still have a poo poo ton more mounds present but farmers decided to plow like 98% of them over, mainly due to racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
One of the things which changed my perception on life forever was touching an inscription by Xerxes, located just outside the gargantuan hewn-out throne room of the rock of Van - imperial capital of ancient Urartu. Went to Gobleki-Tepi a couple of days later.

Anatolia is really cool if you're an ancient / bronze-age history buff, the Turks don't particularly give two shits about ruins that aren't islamic so you have access to places that in other countries would have been fenced off for decades.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
Did you see any Ancient Greek ruins in Anatolia? Also how was Gobleki-Tepi?

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

brb gonna furiously masturbate to dan carlin talking about the bronze age for 13 hours

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/gi1f2dd_dMM

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface

Rime posted:

One of the things which changed my perception on life forever was touching an inscription by Xerxes, located just outside the gargantuan hewn-out throne room of the rock of Van - imperial capital of ancient Urartu. Went to Gobleki-Tepi a couple of days later.

Anatolia is really cool if you're an ancient / bronze-age history buff, the Turks don't particularly give two shits about ruins that aren't islamic so you have access to places that in other countries would have been fenced off for decades.

So I don't want to be the rear end in a top hat here but honestly people shouldn't touch things of archaeological or historical significance with their bare hands unless its been okayed and even then I'm hesitant. The oils gently caress things up alone not to mention the damaging effect of repeated touching. Its been a real problem at archaeological sites and museums.

That being said, Im glad you had a moment of connection with history and I wish more people had that. I have seen enough carved modern graffiti on ancient sites to make me wish people either respected it more or just didn't have access to it. There has been an ongoing debate in heritage management basically around this topic and it doesn't look like it will be settled soon.

naem
May 29, 2011

https://youtu.be/F3rjjpuhCLI

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Telsa Cola posted:

So I don't want to be the rear end in a top hat here but honestly people shouldn't touch things of archaeological or historical significance with their bare hands unless its been okayed and even then I'm hesitant. The oils gently caress things up alone not to mention the damaging effect of repeated touching. Its been a real problem at archaeological sites and museums.

I know its bad but there was a huge gap in the plexi-glass on one of the Apollo space capsules at the Kennedy Space Center.

I.... I had to touch it. Something that's been in space, a bastion of science and discovery and hope.... I had to. :ohdear:

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

Telsa Cola posted:

That being said, Im glad you had a moment of connection with history and I wish more people had that. I have seen enough carved modern graffiti on ancient sites to make me wish people either respected it more or just didn't have access to it. There has been an ongoing debate in heritage management basically around this topic and it doesn't look like it will be settled soon.

I'm aware, I worked as a museum collections archivest for some years. I figure that since I had to freeclimb 60 feet of poo poo rock to do this that there wasn't much risk of erosion from casual tourists. :v:

That Robot posted:

Did you see any Ancient Greek ruins in Anatolia? Also how was Gobleki-Tepi?

Lots, Hasenkeyf is a massive city going back to the bronze age which the Turks are about to flood behind a dam, stunning volume of things to explore there because, again, they give no shits about anything not Turkish.

Gobleki-Tepi was mind blowing on an existencial level but the really cool stuff is actually in the museums at Salinurfa and Ankara.

Rime fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 9, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

nobody imagines what their oils and hands can do to things., but it really is profound, especially with older things.

Just reading an old copy of dune, the copy I have is from 1984 and has a bunch of movie advertising on it lol, and just turning the page in the wrong place can fade the lettering.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Post more cool lectures I can download and listen to while I fly to work pls

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

basic hitler posted:

nobody imagines what their oils and hands can do to things., but it really is profound, especially with older things.

Just reading an old copy of dune, the copy I have is from 1984 and has a bunch of movie advertising on it lol, and just turning the page in the wrong place can fade the lettering.

Given the widespread belief that routine handling of paper with bare hands chemically damages it, it is telling that our research uncovered no scientific evidence supporting this notion. The closest citation on the subject found was an article entitled, "Fingerprints on Photographs" in which Klaus Hendriks and Rütiger Krall (1993) state that a fingerprint could damage a silver image if the salts in sweat, particularly sodium chloride, managed to penetrate through the gelatin layer. Since the surface of paper is almost always protected by a layer of gelatin (or some other sizing agent), sodium chloride would have to permeate this barrier before it could interact with the cellulose beneath, and the corrosion potential of cellulose is not remotely as great as that of silver. As discovered by Hendriks and Krall, the other necessary component for the silver corrosion reaction is oxygen, and it can be argued that bound sheets of paper in closed books are not exposed to high levels of environmental oxygen for long periods of time, and neither are unbound sheets stored along with other pieces of paper in archival storage folders and boxes.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Ehhhh, this argument relies on the assumption that the protective layering is completely intact on the document, or that there even is one. Thats debateable for documents hundreds of years old and even more debatable for different paper making traditions. Also the oxygen thing seems odd to argue because lol archival storage folders and boxes being air tight, often times (at least with the ones I worked with) they go for an acid free approach and thats seen as being good enough in many instances. Many collections cant fork over the $$$ for really good poo poo and even if they could they dont have the cash to match the amount of materials they have.

This also ignores the point (and I guess the paper doesn't really argue against this) that you should be preventing any and all foreign contaminants on the items in general because it can gently caress up chemical testing down the line. If, as the paper claims, cloth gloves make your hands too "bulky" then buy thinner material or use a different,sterile material. Washing your hands is a laughable standard and saying "eh this is good enough" is not the standard I think we should be setting when dealing with possibly unique objects.

But tbh I guess I have to say I dont know for sure, I worked with a pretty (in)famous collection and gloves were always mandatory. Im not a paper archival expert by any means but the arguments presented within the article are not that convincing. Also if your gloves are as dirty as people hands then you are loving up with either your cleaning methods or climate control.

Tldr: I think that the argument presented is bullshit,lazy and I would not loan anything to the conservators there. But Im not an archival expert for paper. If you are feel free to rip my argument apart.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Dec 9, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I really don't give a poo poo what a study has said when i've witnessed the casual damage my sweat and oils have done to old books and even fresh notebook paper over the course of just minutes when I am careless.

Your body secretes oils and sweat and deposits all kinds of poo poo that will easily dissolve or otherwise react with really old human artifacts. Get out a sheet of writing paper and set your hand on it for half an hour and get back to me on its lack of mutation. And don't touch anything that could be considered a loving artifact lol

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Speaking of archives and collections, someone really needs to do a study on the amount currently held by private individuals in their basements or whatever because their associated research center/school/whatever doesn't have space for it. Im almost certain it would be a decently large amount compared to what we have in academic centers.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 10:28 on Dec 9, 2017

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Big Beef City posted:

I'd love to know the interpretation of the inscription, based on the line drawing, of what is happening in that scene.

"The nude warrior absorbs a shield charge, coming from an opponent coming from the higher ground and insta kills him via thrust through the lungs/heart body cavity"

Why the bulbous ends for their halberds for non-blunted weapons?
I dig that he's already killed his opponent's buddy based on their pre-tartan underpants (yes way out of date, but if the pattern is true, it's tartan underpants, kidding).

Why did an armored pike-run down a hill fail?

The guy on the left has a sword, the bulbous things are sheaths and I think the dude on the right is wearing a cloak rather than holding a shield.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

basic hitler posted:

i work in a historical archive of rare documents. we only put the gloves on when handling stuff in front public rubes like you. in the back room we just free handle the centuries old books :twisted:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Rutibex posted:

i work in a historical archive of rare documents. we only put the gloves on when handling stuff in front public rubes like you. in the back room we just free handle the centuries old books :twisted:

now who's basically hitler....

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Rutibex posted:

I also picture people just putting their balls on various ancient documents and texts. Just teabag the heck out of history.

Vaginal Vagrant
Jan 12, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Krispy Wafer posted:

I also picture people just putting their balls on various ancient documents and texts. Just teabag the heck out of history.

If you think about it, just by having balls you're teabagging the history of the future.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Oh, hey, new tablets!

Archaeologists Uncover 3,250-Year Old Middle Assyrian Tablets In Iraq’s Kurdistan

Unfortunate that they were unbaked. :(

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Vaginal Vagrant posted:

If you think about it, just by having balls you're teabagging the history of the future.

Only if you dip your balls in a womb so you'll have descendants.

That's awesome! Hopefully it will be possible to read some of them.

Speaking of cuneiform, has anyone linked to a video of Irving Finkel yet? That guy rocks (and clays).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_fkpZSnz2I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOwP0KUlnZg

King of Bees
Dec 28, 2012
Gravy Boat 2k
I was checking out Van Gogh sunflowers in Philly and decided to touch it. As soon as I did the docent ran at me. So I decided "it's now or never!" and then hosed the painting.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I was at some ruins in CZ from like 1000ad and they had a big section where they encouraged you to touch these big old stone tombs and carvings to really connect physically with history. I didn't gently caress any of it though.

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

Baronjutter posted:

I was at some ruins in CZ from like 1000ad and they had a big section where they encouraged you to touch these big old stone tombs and carvings to really connect physically with history. I didn't gently caress any of it though.

You insulted the Czech people gravely by not loving the stones, this is why no one likes tourists.

Scrotum Modem
Sep 12, 2014

so what did happen to the semen peoples

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

judging by y chromosome history, they turned into the proto indo-europeans

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Who in this thread practices Kemetism?

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

i dont know what that is, i jerk off at the highest point of the summer solstice and smear it on a carving of a bull i made

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Joe Mama Poonana posted:

They came

naem
May 29, 2011

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

That lion looks shook.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Telsa Cola posted:

That lion looks shook.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Osprey illustrations are pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

https://youtu.be/nyu4u3VZYaQ

• Locked thread