Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What caused the Late Bronze Age Collapse?
goku
gently caress you
The Sea Peoples
semen
The Dorians
The Doors
:iiam:
:chaostrump:
:burgerpug:
:secsmug:
:420:
:wink:
Natural disasters
Climate change
:krust:
View Results

• Locked thread
That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
Before there was a classical Ancient Greece that formed one of the primary sources of western thought, science and democracy, there was what is known as the Mycenaean Grecece:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mycenaean_Greece posted:

Mycenaean Greece (or Mycenaean civilization) was the last phase of the Bronze Age in Ancient Greece (c. 1600–1100 BC). It represents the first advanced civilization in mainland Greece, with its palatial states, urban organization, works of art and writing system. Among the centers of power that emerged, the most notable were those of Pylos, Tiryns, Midea in the Peloponnese, Orchomenos, Thebes, Athens in Central Greece and Iolcos in Thessaly. The most prominent site was Mycenae, in Argolid, to which the culture of this era owes its name. Mycenaean and Mycenaean-influenced settlements also appeared in Epirus, Macedonia, on islands in the Aegean Sea, on the coast of Asia Minor, the Levant, Cyprus and Italy.

The Mycenaean Greeks introduced several innovations in the fields of engineering, architecture and military infrastructure, while trade over vast areas of the Mediterranean was essential for the Mycenaean economy. Their syllabic script, the Linear B, offers the first written records of the Greek language and their religion already included several deities that can also be found in the Olympic Pantheon. Mycenaean Greece was dominated by a warrior elite society and consisted of a network of palace states that developed rigid hierarchical, political, social and economic systems. At the head of this society was the king, known as wanax.

Mycenaean Greece perished with the collapse of Bronze Age culture in the eastern Mediterranean, to be followed by the so-called Greek Dark Ages, a recordless transitional period leading to Archaic Greece where significant shifts occurred from palace-centralized to de-centralized forms of socio-economic organization (including the extensive use of iron). Various theories have been proposed for the end of this civilization, among them the Dorian invasion or activities connected to the "Sea Peoples". Additional theories such as natural disasters and climatic changes have been also suggested. The Mycenaean period became the historical setting of much ancient Greek literature and mythology, including the Trojan Epic Cycle.

The collapse of Mycenaean Greece happened around the same time most other Bronze Age civilizations fell, which for many people must have felt like the end of the world. This series of events is called the Late Bronze Age collapse, a downturn in civilization similar to the post-Roman dark ages.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Late_Bronze_Age_collapse posted:

The Late Bronze Age collapse was a Dark Age transition period in the Near East, Aegean Region, North Africa, Caucasus, Balkans and the Eastern Mediterranean from the Late Bronze Age to the Early Iron Age, a transition historians believe was violent, sudden, and culturally disruptive. The palace economy of the Aegean Region and Anatolia that characterised the Late Bronze Age disintegrated, transforming into the small isolated village cultures of the Greek Dark Ages.

Between c. 1200 and 1150 BC, the cultural collapse of the Mycenaean kingdoms, the Hittite Empire in Anatolia and the Levant, and the fragmentation of the New Kingdom of Egypt and the loss of its colonies in southern Canaan interrupted trade routes and severely reduced literacy. In the first phase of this period, almost every city between Pylos and Gaza was violently destroyed, and many abandoned: examples include Hattusa, Mycenae, and Ugarit. According to Robert Drews: "Within a period of forty to fifty years at the end of the thirteenth and the beginning of the twelfth century almost every significant city in the eastern Mediterranean world was destroyed, many of them never to be occupied again." A very few powerful states, particularly Assyria and Elam, were largely unaffected by the Bronze Age collapse -- but by the end of the 12th century BCE Elam collapsed after its defeat by Nebuchadnezzar I and its history is obscure for the following three centuries; and upon the death of Ashur-bel-kala in 1056 BC, Assyria went into a comparative decline for the next 100 or so years, its empire shrinking significantly, and by 1020 BC Assyria appears to have controlled only areas close to Assyria itself.

One of the primary culprits for this ancient apocalpyse was a group of mysterious invaders known as the Sea Peoples, a confederation of peoples who raided all over the Mediterranean. They were as destructive and violent as Viking Berserkers, but very little is known about them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sea_Peoples posted:

The Sea Peoples are a purported seafaring confederation that attacked ancient Egypt and other regions of the East Mediterranean prior to and during the Late Bronze Age collapse (1200–900 BC). Following the creation of the concept in the nineteenth century, it became one of the most famous chapters of Egyptian history, given its connection with, in the words of Wilhelm Max Müller: "the most important questions of ethnography and the primitive history of classic nations". Their origins uncertain, the various Sea Peoples have been proposed to have originated from places that include western Asia Minor, the Aegean, the Mediterranean islands and Southern Europe. Although the archaeological inscriptions do not include reference to a migration, the Sea Peoples are conjectured to have sailed around the eastern Mediterranean and invaded Anatolia, Syria, Canaan, Phoenicia, Cyprus, and Egypt toward the end of the Bronze Age.

French Egyptologist Emmanuel de Rougé first used the term peuples de la mer (literally "peoples of the sea") in 1855 in a description of reliefs on the Second Pylon at Medinet Habu documenting Year 8 of Ramesses III. Gaston Maspero, de Rougé's successor at the Collège de France, subsequently popularized the term "Sea Peoples"—and an associated migration-theory—in the late 19th century. Since the early 1990s, the theory has been brought into question by a number of scholars.

The Sea Peoples remain unidentified in the eyes of most modern scholars, and hypotheses regarding the origin of the various groups are the source of much speculation. Existing theories variously propose equating them with several Aegean tribes, raiders from Central Europe, scattered soldiers who turned to piracy or who had become refugees, and links with natural disasters such as earthquakes or climatic shifts.

However, recently the only remaining copy of a frieze written in ancient Luwian -- the language of a people who lived in what is now Turkey -- was found that may elucidate us on their nature:

http://www.newsweek.com/mystery-lost-biblical-sea-people-revealed-ancient-hieroglyphs-uncovered-turkey-683110 posted:

Mystery Of Lost Biblical 'Sea People' Revealed In Ancient Hieroglyphs Uncovered In Turkey

Archaeologists believe they have found the key to unlocking a mystery millennia in the making, uncovering how advanced civilizations in the lands of the Bible were invaded by so-called “sea people” in 1190 B.C., bringing an end to the Bronze Age.

Researchers finally unravelled the secret studying inscriptions first discovered over 100-years-ago. A team of Swiss and Dutch archaeologists from the Luwian Studies Foundation rediscovered the writings from the largest Bronze Age tablet ever found, translating it for the first time and revealing the unexplained history.

The nearly 95-foot-long limestone frieze was first found in Turkey in 1878 by French archeologist Georges Perrot and while the tablet was destroyed, Perrot was able to copy the inscription before it was lost.

It was not until 1950 that studies advanced sufficiently for the Luwian hieroglyphs, the official recorded language of the peoples of ancient south eastern Turkey, to be read.

They revealed the tablet was commissioned by King Kupanta-Kurunta, the ruler of a Late Bronze Age state in western Asia Minor whose forces flooded east annexing lands loyal to the Hittite civilisation in Anatolia.

Following the conquest, Kurunta’s men took to the sea in a fleet of ships with other local forces. These so-called “sea people,” led by four princes, invaded a number of ancient coastal centers in modern day Syria and Israel, building a fortress in Ashkelon and eventually advancing as far as ancient Egypt.

The account in the stone tablet reveals how Bronze Age civilizations disappeared from the eastern periphery of the Mediterranean, one of the long unsolved puzzles of archaeology from the region.

This is what the frieze looked like:

A copy was made of the frieze before it was destroyed. While there are some questions regarding its provenance due to the reputation of the remaining copy's keeper, their disappearence involved a country known as Wilusa, which is known to us as Troy:

https://www.archaeology.org/news/5975-171010-luwian-inscription-translated posted:

BEYKÖY, TURKEY—According to a report in Live Science, Fred Woudhuizen, a Dutch scholar of the ancient language known as Luwian, has translated a 3,200-year-old inscription discovered in the late nineteenth century on a 95-foot stretch of stone at an archaeological site in Beyköy, a town located near Turkey’s Black Sea coast. The ancient stone, said to have been recycled in local building project, no longer exists, but a copy of the inscription was reportedly found in the estate of archaeologist James Mellaart, remembered for his excavation of Turkey’s 9,500-year-old city of Çatalhöyük. Assisted by Swiss geoarchaeologist Eberhard Zangger, Woudhuizen says the inscription describes how King Kupantakuruntas came to rule the kingdoms of Mira and Troy, and how the two kingdoms engaged in naval campaign, led by the Trojan prince Muksus, against Ashkelon. Woudhuizen and Zangger think it would have been difficult for Mellaart, who was part of an earlier translation team as an expert on the archaeology of western Turkey, to forge such a long text in Luwian. They cannot be certain that the text is authentic, however, until records of the inscription are found apart from Mellaart’s estate.

It's good but also kind of weird that we know that the Troy from the Odyssey was real.

Let's talk about the Late Bronze Age collapse, a sort of serious thread.

That Robot fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Oct 14, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Prince
Aug 28, 2005
Buglord
tl;dr

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

There was a dark age before there was a dark age and a mysterious group of people ended civilization as it was known then in the area.

Isaac
Aug 3, 2006

Fun Shoe
Id like to know more

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

goku too easy to find 3/10

but :krust: 10/10

we'll average it and say five krusts and 1.5 gokus for a reasonable 6.5/10, not bad OP

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Isaac posted:

Id like to know more

The archaeology website links to this article for if you want to know more..

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
the earliest known example of a group of polities engaged in international trade and diplomatic relations exploded over the course of like half a century and because it happened a long time ago and the destruction was so complete, no one can really agree as to the why of it. and the Greek people that got murdered were the inspiration for the classical Greek myths.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

uber_stoat posted:

the earliest known example of a group of polities engaged in international trade and diplomatic relations exploded over the course of like half a century and because it happened a long time ago and the destruction was so complete, no one can really agree as to the why of it. and the Greek people that got murdered were the inspiration for the classical Greek myths.

While Homer may have just been a collective name for several ancient poets, it's so weird that some parts of the old myths are real. It's neat too though.

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

This is really interesting. I hadn't ever heard about that frieze. I tried looking up some info about the sea people a few years ago and just got swamped with bullshit about Atlantis and aliens.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
"Hey King Minos you know why they call me the bull? When I hosed your cow of a wife she gave birth to a MINOTAUR!"

*Grabs crotch then goes to the town corner to get black-out drunk with my two sons named Artobyxaxanes and the other John*

---

*Dies of dysentery one week later with 68% of the town's population*

E: Just realized this is probably not intended to be a strict successor to the old ITT bronze age collapse thread.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3741026

Dean of Swing
Feb 22, 2012
*Furiously masturbates as I am roasted alive in a giant gold calf*

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

Buglord

Inkfish posted:

This is really interesting. I hadn't ever heard about that frieze. I tried looking up some info about the sea people a few years ago and just got swamped with bullshit about Atlantis and aliens.

There's further detail here. It's an IFLscience article and it sort of looks like Vice but for science news. One guy in the article calls the whole conflict World War Zero.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

That Robot posted:

While Homer may have just been a collective name for several ancient poets, it's so weird that some parts of the old myths are real. It's neat too though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWnP-UdWabs

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Good shot op. These "sea" "people" will no doubt return one day and it's up to us to be ready for them.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

With only spooty records available from that time it's difficult to know how they made war. For example we know they used both sonic and psionic weaponry but we don't know in what ratio

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Good shot op. These "sea" "people" will no doubt return one day and it's up to us to be ready for them.

I got a old cricket bat and an iron fence spike in the backyard I think I'll be OK.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Inkfish posted:

I got a old cricket bat and an iron fence spike in the backyard I think I'll be OK.

do deer ever get stuck on your iron spike fence? That poo poo sucks

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

do deer ever get stuck on your iron spike fence? That poo poo sucks

I don't think deer live here. Besides it's not in a fence it's just leaning up against the shed. Ready for me to grab should any people from the sea make an appearance.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

the weird thing is that the troy from the odyssey was dated to like 1190BC and was actually troy 7, the 7th troy build on that site and it wasnt the last either

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Inkfish posted:

I don't think deer live here. Besides it's not in a fence it's just leaning up against the shed. Ready for me to grab should any people from the sea make an appearance.

those are spears not a fence

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Blue Raider posted:

the weird thing is that the troy from the odyssey was dated to like 1190BC and was actually troy 7, the 7th troy build on that site and it wasnt the last either

are you calling Homer a liar?

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

Mumpy Puffinz posted:

those are spears not a fence

Its definitely a fence spike I'm just using it incorrectly

Myriarch
May 14, 2013
Wait, so the greatest mystery in ancient history turns out to be loving Troy, the foundation of western storytelling?
How does this timeline compare to expected dates of the Illiad's origination?
And archeological evidence of Troy's destruction date, and the fall of the Hittite's?

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
Where else was there tin?

How did the olden times people know where there was tin?

Would a Jesse Pinkman guy just walk into the senate and get the piss beaten out of him until he told them where the tin was?

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Inkfish posted:

Its definitely a fence spike I'm just using it incorrectly

fair enough

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Horses are just beefier deer.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
What's cool about the myth of Theseus and the Minotaur is how much of the story maps to archeological discoveries in Crete

Bull stuff -> Reliefs and sculptures featuring bulls
Labyrinth -> Maze-like palaces
Man-eating monster -> Evidence of child sacrifice and cannibalism

COMRADES
Apr 3, 2017

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Greeks defeated by a bunch of seamen

Sucrose
Dec 9, 2009
In the last thread I read on this the posters were somewhat skeptical because apparently the guy who owns the inscription has a really shady reputation.

Durf
Aug 16, 2017

Isaac posted:

Id like to know more

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-EOvWIGKxU&t=64s

Durf fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Oct 14, 2017

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Not quite Bronze Age collapse time, but still interesting:

Wikipedia posted:

Anemospilia was first excavated in 1979 by the Greek archaeologist Yannis Sakellarakis. The temple was destroyed by earthquake and fire around 1700 BC, about the same time as the destruction of the first palaces. The temple was found in a ruined state with stone walls only reaching hip height. Traces of ash and charcoal were found on the ground, and from this, one can postulate that the building was burnt down.

Finds excavated from Anemospilia are at the Heraklion Archaeological Museum.

The temple is set out with three chambers and one annex that leads into them, each chamber has something somewhat unusual about them inside it.

East chamber
In the east chamber, ruins of a stepped altar were found on the Southside of the room, and on it were many offerings. There were the remains of many vessels of pottery (pithoi) found on the floor, and traces of milk, honey, grains, and peas were found in the bottom of the jars. When the pottery vessels were reconstructed,the scene carved into some of the pottery shows a religious ritual.

Annex
In the annex, a body was found, whose bones were so smashed, especially the pelvic bones, that it was impossible for anyone to identify the gender of the body, showing that the corpse had a boulder or rock dropped onto it. Around the body were fragments of smashed pottery. The position of the body indicates that the person was running from the central chamber at the time of death.

Central chamber
In the central chamber, an altar of the south side of the room was found, made from the hewn rock of the sacred hillside. On it stood a pair of clay feet that had been the idol's base, as well as bits of burnt wood. The idol, or Xoanon (Greek for statue), would have been life-sized and predominantly made of wood, and the ash on the ground suggests that it was burned when the temple was. At the base of the altar were found the remains of more than 400 pottery vessels. Close to the Xoanon there was a mound, a piece of hillside rock, a symbol of the earth, which, along with the sea and the sky, the Minoans considered to be the eternal elements of the world. The sacred stone had been an important part in rituals, for over it libations were poured to the deity.

Western chamber
In the western chamber, two skeletons were found on the floor, one in the south west corner of the room This body was of a 28-year-old female; because the average life expectancy in ancient civilisations was around 55, she would have been a middle aged woman. She could have been a high priestess of some sort.

The other skeleton was that of a male, he was aged in his late thirties, and 183 cm tall, and powerfully built, he was lying on his back with his hands covering his face, as if to protect it. The tall man had a ring made of iron and silver on the little finger of his left hand and on his wrist was an engraved seal of “exceptional artistic merit”, this would have obviously been very valuable. His legs were broken and his body was found near the centre of the room next to a platform, at the base of the platform was a trough.

On top of the platform another body was found. This was a body of an 18-year-old male; he was found in the foetal position, lying on his right side. Amongst the bones was found an ornately engraved knife, it was 40 cm long and weighing more than 400g. Each side of the blade had an incised rendering of an animal head, the snout and tusks of a boar, ears like butterfly wings and slanted eyes like a fox. His legs were forced back so that his heels were almost touching his thigh, indicating that they were tied there.

Apparently a lot of archaeologists think the "knife" was just a spearhead that happened to fall down from a shelf onto the 18-year-old and that there's no evidence the platform was an altar, but come on, they totally sacrificed that kid and the gods found the sacrifice unworthy

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Oct 14, 2017

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

my favourite part about this is the meteoric iron

some accounts of sea peoples indicate they had superior weaponry that could easily break existing swords

which would have been possible only if either they knew the secret of arsenical bronze (possible) or they had access to meteoric iron that could be cold forged into/onto weapons

i think its pretty badass if some poo poo falls from the sky and all of a sudden youre capable of conquering the entire 'world'

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
'Sea people' are actually just pirates

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

quote:

My father, behold, the enemy's ships came (here); my cities(?) were burned, and they did evil things in my country. Does not my father know that all my troops and chariots(?) are in the Land of Hatti, and all my ships are in the Land of Lukka?... Thus, the country is abandoned to itself. May my father know it: the seven ships of the enemy that came here inflicted much damage upon us.

GolfHole
Feb 26, 2004

FuhrerHat posted:

my favourite part about this is the meteoric iron

some accounts of sea peoples indicate they had superior weaponry that could easily break existing swords

which would have been possible only if either they knew the secret of arsenical bronze (possible) or they had access to meteoric iron that could be cold forged into/onto weapons

i think its pretty badass if some poo poo falls from the sky and all of a sudden youre capable of conquering the entire 'world'

fun history thing: the inuit of canada did exactly this (in the north) to the previous culture. using meteoric iron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_York_meteorite

GolfHole fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 14, 2017

OMFG FURRY
Jul 10, 2006

[snarky comment]

Pththya-lyi posted:

What's cool about the myth of Theseus and the Minotaur is how much of the story maps to archeological discoveries in Crete

Bull stuff -> Reliefs and sculptures featuring bulls
Labyrinth -> Maze-like palaces
Man-eating monster -> Evidence of child sacrifice and cannibalism

they also had earthquake proofing for their buildings which was pretty cool

Blahsmack
Oct 25, 2003

didnt egypt end up having to grant large swaths of land to the sea peoples?

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
I thought the Bronze Age Collapse was cause by the Daevas wars?

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again

FaradayCage posted:

Would a Jesse Pinkman guy just walk into the senate and get the piss beaten out of him until he told them where the tin was?

That's what made the bronze age, the trade networks that allowed people to produce bronze. They broke down after the events described in the op. Interesting stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

FuhrerHat posted:

fun history thing: the inuit of canada did exactly this (in the north) to the previous culture. using meteoric iron.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_York_meteorite

you could say it was kind of inevitable, that end of this network of civilizations traded in gathered and hunted goods, primarily Amber; naturally occurring stuff and the earth's gravity would pull that junk in and the poles would exert a force that may result in more of that spacejunk going northward or southward, without good access to your pole like the northern hemisphere has doesn't give you a very good chance to pick up meteoric iron

FaradayCage posted:

It was mined somewhere in the Hindukush region, perhaps modern day Afghanistan according to the poo poo I read when I did my research, I wish I had some stuff to cite

Former DILF fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Oct 14, 2017

• Locked thread