Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Nice. I'm away again this weekend, but I should be able to run the game Monday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Alright! Let's give this another go, shall we?

User Sad King Billy! You have approximately 2 days to come up with a plan of action.

Voyage 5.1: Captain Sheridan of Nuke To Hell

Captain Sheridan is in orbit around Naiad, in the Jinx System, 300-odd days from Hope.

I've taken the liberty of trading for the hyperwave array, so for the moment you can see where all the alien ships are. It can be traded for the cloaker or anything else at a moment's notice.

Valuble artifact, might pick this up on the way back.

Guidance computer

Guidance jammer

I've fitted these already, it's a no-brainer.

Both weapons are superior in most respects to your current equipment. Post #2 in the thread has info about the other items. It seems that you have run into the perfect kit-out for a coward cautious run through the sector!

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Nov 13, 2017

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I'll take the Cloaker for the Hyperwave scanner. Knowing where the other ships are doesn't help if they have moved by the time I have got there. Hopefully I won't come across the most advanced ships?

I want to go North then West, avoiding the Nebula if at all possible, eventually I'll loop around back to where I started.

Flee then fight!

Nergal, Dagon, Nivel and then Stellar.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

You can plan on the alien ships staying where they are, it's just if we trade away the array, we won't be able to see them. (But I'll note where they are anyway) If we find a fast enough drive I'll look at a side trip to Verdi as well, since that's safe, and possibly even skipping brand Iblis unless we collect better weapons.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Nov 14, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Voyage 5.2: Captain Sheridan of Nuke To Hell

Sheridan travels to Nergal. This isn't much use to him when he already has the sector-wide model.

We already have these on Terra! Pretty useless.

It's an extra 290 days to divert to Verdi. It's relatively safe, so we head there and find an ally.

At an exotic planet orbiting Niven, an exotic plant.

Sheridan trades a few bits and pieces to equip a guidance computer and missile jammer.

It's a long leg to Astellar, and Sheridan is prepared for whatever is at the other end.

We come in peace! Terra extends a welcome to you, robot beings!

Engage thrusters! We'll shown them not to attack Terran ships!
Sheridan picks off a few Tan-ru drones as they attack the uncloaked Muktian.

Unfortunately they can't help but catch the Muktian.

With no more ships on their sensors, the fighters wheel defensively, making it hard to find a spot out of their weapon arcs.

They have to be picked off at precise moments.

Each time, a few lucky hits.

Finally only a drone with a crippled engine and the two Decimators are left.

We can flank them! Get behind them while they are heading to our cloaking location!

More crippled engines and the Tan-ru are helpless. As the Decimators explode, a single gauss ball smacks the drone fighter into deep space.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Nov 14, 2017

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

Thats three of ours innit...to one of yours. You know mate I really think we ought to even up the average!
I'm good!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Voyage 5.3: Captain Sheridan of Nuke To Hell

On the ruin of one of the Tan-ru Ships, an intact superior shield is found.

Of course, patching up after the fight takes up a few days too.

The crew is at maximum readiness on arrival to Iblis.

But the Hulk is the only thing there, and it's harmless enough.

Two artifacts are found, and will be very valuble to collectors on earth.

Is this better than the Tachyon ray gun? According to the law of exotic noomclementure, no, but only just. It stays in the hold.

This, however, is definitely better than the Gauss cannon.

One of these things burst through our shield and ruptured the hull at Astellar. Fit it in weapon bay #1!

On the homeward bound leg! One dares to hope.

We'll be ready if there's more Tan-ru on Muse!

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

I feel like I've been very lucky on this run.

Of course luck is a good attribute for a Captain to have.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Definitely. On the other hand, you're still tooling around on your original drive, which is why you've only been able to visit 2/3 the stars in seven years...

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
You may notice something about the mirror in the screenshots...

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

;)

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Voyage 5.4: Captain Sheridan of Nuke To Hell

Engage the warp drive!

Time is starting to run short.

Your Compatriot helped us in the early days of our expedition but sadly did not survive. Therefore we shall respect your wishes and depart.

That's bad news because now Sheridan must travel back to Xanath, wasting most of a year. The only other option is travelling for years through the nebula. Sheridan's only hope is in a forgotten legend...

Zap! It proves surprisingly simple to focus the Aethric mirror on Muse and a simple thought triggers an instantaneous transportation! Err... sorry for throwing you to the next system, Muktians!

A bit more interstellar loot!

Sheridan considers transposing across to Shiva (You can use the Aethric mirror to translocate anywhere there's aliens), but the time situation is bad enough already.

They depart on the final leg!

Oh dear, still a couple of light years to go...

The Nuke to Hell slips into the system in the shadow of Titan and cloaks it's way to Lextor's spaceport. Top notch avionics and some seriously mystic artifacts compensate for the late arrival.

This pay works out to about the same as a fission forklift operator's!
Well, I know a guy who could get you a nice mineral license in the Ceres sector for about that, or I could call my "Account clerks" Bruiser and Monty in for frank discussions of your invoice filed long after the agreed period...
I don't see that negotiation going well...
Ahah, don't worry about it, I hear that there's a lot to be made in the tungsten mining business, with a lot of hard work. Many thanks for that lovely mirror.

And so Captain Sheridan disappears into semi-obscurity. But he's the first to make it home after a full exploration! Congratulations Sad King Billy, you've got the highest LP score so far!

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Nov 16, 2017

Sad King Billy
Jan 27, 2006

I'm happy to have made it back

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
Just added the intrepid Beige Lensman to the list. His distaste of beam weapons has served me well in the past.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Ooh, that must be tough for him, what with being in a blue and yellow ship and all...

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

Ooh, that must be tough for him, what with being in a blue and yellow ship and all...

He avoids looking at the ships exterior when possible.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Well, I guess it's better than having a yellow interior.

On a side note, I'm happy that we finally saw an artifact working. There's two others that I can recall easily with in game effects, and it would not at all surprise me if more have effects that are just situational or not easily found out. One day I hope to see if anything happens when all the time capsules are put together.

Should be able to start the next game tonight.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

User Terrenblade! You have approximately 2 days to come up with a plan of action.

Voyage 6.1: The Beige Lensman of the Hypercorvette Pop Music

The Beige Lensman has arrived in orbit around the planet of Nod in the Lucifer System.

The trades this time round were mostly obvious and I've traded the thrusters, shield, Plasma Blaster, and the Nebula Sled Drive. The Time Capsule was discovered on Nod. As for the animal and artifact items, I can arrange to pick some of them up on the final leg if you like.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
That nebula drive makes Yeth, Szilard, Tiara, Ymir, Opal, Ruby, Lyre, Lucifer, and Glory. look like the best route, if we find faster drives we can add Argent and that flux shield makes Pax slightly less fearsome.

Sorry for the delay, was away from internet over the weekend.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Ok! I'm going to stop play for a further day because we have a big decision! Several planets have exploded starting from the edge of the map and heading towards hope. We have also come across a doomsday device! Do we:

a: Initiate the device and hope it stops whatever is causing the explosions

b: attempt to intercept and find out what is blowing up planets..

You've picked up a repair drone and a couple of decent allies, but are still armed with the plasma blaster and impalers missiles.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Jaguars! posted:

Ok! I'm going to stop play for a further day because we have a big decision! Several planets have exploded starting from the edge of the map and heading towards hope. We have also come across a doomsday device! Do we:

a: Initiate the device and hope it stops whatever is causing the explosions

b: attempt to intercept and find out what is blowing up planets..

You've picked up a repair drone and a couple of decent allies, but are still armed with the plasma blaster and impalers missiles.

If only we had a shofixti. Consider lensman, Consider.
Alright, we need to get ahead of this line of exploding planets and make a firebreak. If that doomsday device looks like it can handle entire star systems, we need to use that.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Our device will destroy everything within 5 lightyears. We ended up on Yeth and the mysterious force appears to have reached Szilard, which is about 4.9 lightyears away. Should be practical to do tonight (Though I'd better check that it won't blow up the Glory system too!)

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Oh here we go :allears:

I've been waiting for this to trigger for a while now.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012

Loxbourne posted:

Oh here we go :allears:

I've been waiting for this to trigger for a while now.

Yeah this is where the fear of yellow comes from. Prophetic I guess.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Voyage 6.2: The Beige Lensman of the Hypercorvette Pop Music

The Beige Lensman steps off for Yeth.

An interesting discovery, this Zorg offers a very capable fighter craft.

The Sotapanna.

For some unknown reason, the Zorg pilot is willing to accept a bunch of ancient plastic crap as payment for his services.

Next stop Szilard!

Another ally, Ripcord O'Reilly tags along with the Pop Music

Hmmm...

What in Prime is that?!

Under the eerie light of the exploding sun, the Beige Lensman and his away team hunt a huge cephalopod.

At Ymir, alien energy signatures.

The allies are ready to go!

The flotilla faces down a Tan-Ru Decimator.

The Sotapanna jumps into action!

The poor Tan-Ru turn continuously as their sensors lock to the Sotapanna in first one sector and then another.

The Sotapanna takes a few clouds of micrometeors, but the Zorg technology takes it in it's stride. As they fight, the Pop Music closes the distance unregarded. Ripcord wisely stays out of the way.
I must say this my fear of beam weapons is a lot easier to cope with with the Zorg on my side!

The helpless Tan-Ru are sit there, their engines disabled, getting thumped from both sides.

And then it's over.

The Tan-Ru must have been searching for it! What a device!

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Nov 22, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Voyage 6.3: The Beige Lensman of the Hypercorvette Pop Music

Heh heh, maybe later. Not today!
Deactivate that at once! Do you know how close you are to killing us all?! Who the hell are you anyway?
Kinnison, sir. Hull Maintenance and Cargo, sir.
Hull tech, eh? Well, theres the officer's lavatory on level 2 that requires your attention. Now get out of my sight.

More Tan-ru! Will these ones put up more of a fight?

The Tan-Ru turn out to merely be two drones.

The fight does not take long.

More thrusters! I'm sure we can find a buyer for them.

Next up is Ruby. Things are a little bit calmer in the sector at the moment.

More thruster! We could have gone to Detroit if we wanted thrusters!

It's pretty close, but I think we've got the power to avoid it... ...here's hoping...

The crew feels attracted to the port side of the ship for a couple of weeks, but the Pop Music gets through to Lyre just fine.

These Garthians aren't going to take peace at any price!

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
A doomsday bomb that only works at point blank. What a world.

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Glazius posted:

A doomsday bomb that only works at point blank. What a world.

Hey, if you know you're already hosed, might as well take some of them with you.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

As an aside, the Zorg fighter is my absolute favourite ally craft. It's well equipped and with it's jumping ability you can herd the enemy ships around until they're exactly where you want them to be.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Voyage 6.4: The Beige Lensman of the Hypercorvette Pop Music

The Garthians attack, but the Sotapanna immediately throws them off. One fighter continues directly into the plasma blaster of the Pop Music and is destroyed.

Ripcord O'Reilly makes himself useful and takes out the second one.

While the Sotapanna needs no help.

It doesn't take long.

This is a useful device. It's the first hull repair module that we've come accross. If you can take the enemy piecemeal, each enemy has to face your ship at full health.

Well, we've completed the plan with 6 years to go. Might as well explore a little more!

I wasn't going to visit it anyway. Too Yellow.

They aren't very welcomed at Ajax, either.

A trip through the nebula doesn't yield much either. Time to look homeward! And quickly!

As the course to Yeth is plotted, more odd energy signatures are detected on the long range sensors.

This leads to the utterly bizarre circumstance of two novas in the sector at once!

The lensman arranges a trade rendezvous on Yeth prior to returning to the Glory system.
For once I remembered to do use the equipping priorities. With the Lensman's fear of beam weapons there's no worthwhile weapons, but I unleaded the redundant impalers for an exotic thruster and traded the Snailopus for a rarer find.

These Novas are distinctly worrying. There's not going to be a planet to come home to at this rate.

However, I think I have a plan...

...Yes, it should just work.

Yes, yes, of course I am you stupid machine, I woudn't be pressing the button otherwise would I, you stupid computer?!

We'll barely be out of range before we reach Hope, better hope the cause of those novas doesn't beat us.

upbeat rock music plays
Well done captain! That ship was bound for Hope for sure!
All in a day's work. And, er, when the party's over, the bilge mould filter needs changing.

Well, you could have brought back some more exotic stuff to sell, but you did a hell of a job out there. My newly bought senator appropriated a little bit of the global budget as my reward for sending you out to save the world, but I figure you did your bit too, so I've thrown in a couple of thousand starbucks as a reward.
Thanks Mr Mucron. Got any other space voyages going?
Well, Starfleet would be happy to have a weapons officer with your proven aggression. And as it happens one of my salvors has just returned with some slightly used Starfleet uniforms, among other things... I'm sure they're repairable, and I could let you have one for a very low price...

Most of the things we picked up were pretty mundane. I don't know if that's to do with the whole nova thing or what, but it's well made up for by the unusual events we encountered.

Congratulations Terrenblade on topping the scoreboard!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
We also destroyed the Klakar trade ship. That always makes me feel guilty, especially when you turn on the signaler again.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Er, yeah. That was one bit I didn't really think all the way through. I'd like to think they would have been smart enough to go somewhere else where there wasn't a doomsday bomb.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

A little disappointed we didn't get to see the mysterious star destroyers in more detail. But there will always be other times!

In my experience, any game where that happens always spawns a Collapser somewhere in the system, so if you explore well you should always have that option available to you.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Well, it's nice that gave you some points.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Well, that's the game's big secret event, so I think we can allow spoilers now. I think we've probably seen about 70% of the game's content.

The planet destroyers are called the Yellow Kavangi (sp?). They don't occur much, I've made about 15 - 20 starts since I installed the game. I have a vague notion that in the distant past I defeated them in battle once with the use of a cloak and a Particle vortex cannon. I absolutely can't remember what their ships look like or their tactics, except that they're very powerful.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Jaguars! posted:

Well, that's the game's big secret event, so I think we can allow spoilers now. I think we've probably seen about 70% of the game's content.

The planet destroyers are called the Yellow Kavangi (sp?). They don't occur much, I've made about 15 - 20 starts since I installed the game. I have a vague notion that in the distant past I defeated them in battle once with the use of a cloak and a Particle vortex cannon. I absolutely can't remember what their ships look like or their tactics, except that they're very powerful.

Oh yeah, that's a pretty interesting pick in the paper-dice game. Uses up your entire point count and you lose instantly if it's wiped, but it can mow down pretty much anything and it's effectively a regenerator on par with the OGRE. Really your best hope is to put together one of the fighter swarm decks and try to bat the die about or land close enough that it can't maneuver when you hurt it and it's destroyed by collision.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
The Yellow Kwangi ship is too powerful to fight for most purposes. It can be done with either a very lucky weapons fit amd a cloak (it'll carve you up in direct combat even with the most powerful shields, and it has a massive range advantage) or the use of an item we haven't seen yet, the chromium gong.

terrenblade
Oct 29, 2012
Well, that just happened. I guess planning for the worst payed off. I've played this game a bit on my own years ago and I remembered the yellow guys as being unbeatable in combat and beam weapons being universally bad, unlike other weapons they roll 'to hit' instead of throwing a projectile that an enemy can run into. So I gave my captain a fear of the color yellow and a distaste for beam weapons.
I did not expect to run into the world destroying menace. And have to say, I've never seen the super weapon work before.
Well done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The better beam weapons (I think the tachyon ray gun is the most effective) can be quite efficient when a guidance computer is equipped. Laser beams are pretty worthless. I'm not sure if I've ever used the vacuum collapser either.

I'm going to update all the OP info over the next couple of days, but I'm still keen to do a few more runs after that, so you're welcome to try and beat Terrenblade's score!

• Locked thread