Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Let's Play Strange Adentures In Infinite Space!
Strange Adventures In Infinite Space is a game released in 2002 by Developers Digital Eel and released as freeware since 2009. There are two sequels to the series, Weird Worlds: Return to Infinite Space in 2005, and Infinite Space III: Sea of Stars. in 2013. If you want to know why it's such a good game, have yourself a read of this little column that says it a lot better than I could.

Wiki pedia claims it's a roguelike :wtc:

The Story So Far

How do you play?

The Aim of the game is to visit all the planets on the solar system and collect as much information and interstellar loot as possible. The top layer of the game is a screen showing the planets and your spaceship where you plan where to go next and react to events. If you encounter aliens you go into the tactical view to fight it out in pausable realtime. After 10 years a penalty accrues that will quickly blot out any bounties you've earned. That's about it! The simplicity of the game is one of it's major points. But the variety of artifacts and encounters gives it a great deal of depth.

I want to take part in a clandestine voyage that will put me in hock to an interstellar gangster!

And so you shall! Furtively fill out your info in his book! If you've played before, stick to the items we've already seen for now, and we'll open it up once we've had a few play throughs.

Here are your choices for difficulty:

Chainguns are inaccurate, short range heavy hitters. For longer range work, you can equip a sort of guided semi-explosive lawndart known as an impaler missile. "Laser Beams" are a weapon that allegedly damages the enemy by shining a sort of light on their hull. They have a moderate range and of course the beam travels at the speed of light, making it easier to hit the target.

Nebulae slow your ship down a great deal without special equipment. This makes it much harder to get a good score in the time allowed. And of course, the amount of aliens greatly affects your chances of survival.

Unfortunately this game has no save states, which makes it awkward to LP, but I think I can work it. If practical I will provide you with a map and leave my laptop asleep over the workday, giving you a little time to plan. Otherwise it'll be a blind playthrough according to any instructions you wish to supply me with.

But never mind all this, let's start with an example game and see what's going on in the galaxy!

Spoiler Policy Is Not Longer Active!

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Updates

Captain Breedlove of the Turtle (Jaguars!)
Captain Kirk of the Enterprise (pt 1) (Rickvoid)
Captain Kirk of the Enterprise (pt 2)
Captain Jingles of the HMS TOG (pt 1) (Cokerpilot)
Captain Jingles of the HMS TOG (pt 2)
Captain Jingles of the HMS TOG (pt 3)
Captain Jingles of the HMS TOG(pt 4)
Captain Grosvenor of the Hawk (pt 1) (Habituallyred)
Captain Grosvenor of the Hawk (pt 2)
Captain Grosvenor of the Hawk (pt 3)
Captain Grosvenor of the Hawk (pt 4)
Captain Sheridan of the Nuke to Hell (pt 1) (Sad King Billy)
Captain Sheridan of the Nuke to Hell (pt 2)
Captain Sheridan of the Nuke to Hell (pt 3)
Captain Sheridan of the Nuke to Hell (pt 4)
The Beige Lensman, Captain of the Pop Music (pt 1) (Terrenblade)
The Beige Lensman, Captain of the Pop Music (pt 2)
The Beige Lensman, Captain or the Pop Music (Pt 3)
The Beige Lensman, Captain of the Pop Music (Pt 4)

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Dec 2, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The Galaxy so far:

Aliens:

Discovered by Capt Garrett Breedlove, 7 Jul 4581

Discovered by Capt Garrett Breedlove, 4 Jan 4583

Discoverer: Capt Garrett Breedlove, 9 Apr 4583

Discoverer: Capt J T Kirk, 25 Apr 4587

Discoverer: Capt Jingles, 21 Jul 4581

Discoverer: Capt Grosvenor, 27 Aug 4581

Artifacts:

Encountered by Capt Jingles, 19 Sep 4580

Mantle Of Babulon
Discoverer: Capt Garrett Breedlove, 15 Dec 4580

First Recorded by Capt Breedlove, 7 Jul 4581

Weapons:

OEM on exploration hypercorvettes

OEM on exploration hypercorvettes.

Discoverer: Capt J T Kirk, 9 Aug 4581

Discoverer: Capt Garrett Breedlove, 7 Jul 4581

Discoverer: Capt J T Kirk, 7 Jul 4581

Discoverer: Capt Jingles, 24 Sept 4580

Discoverer: Capt Jingles, 14 Sep 4580

Discoverer: Capt Jingles, 23 Nov 4580

Warp Drives:
Plutonium Fission Drive
OEM on Exploration hypercorvettes. Six times lightspeed.

Nebular Hydrogen Drive
Discoverer: Capt J T Kirk, 30 Aug 4581

Hydrogen Fusion Drive
Discoverer: Capt Garrett Breedlove, 9 Apr 4583

Ion Flux Warp Drive

Discoverer: Capt J T Kirk, 18 Aug 4581

Discoverer: Capt Jingles, 19 Sep 4580

Thrusters:

OEM Ship Equipment.

Discoverer: Capt Garrett Breedlove, 14 Oct 4582

Fusion Tube Thruster
First Encountered: Capt Garrett Breedlove,

Shipboard Systems

Hypercorvette OEM.

Electron Matrix Shield
Discoverer: Capt Jingles, 21 Jul 4581

Discoverer: Capt J T Kirk, 18 Aug 4581

Hyperwave Filter Array
Discoverer: Capt Garrett Breedlove, 20 Jan, 4582

Lifeforms:
Snailopus
Discoverer: Capt Garrett Breedlove, 24 Jul 4581

Six Finned Bloater
Discoverer: Capt Garrett Breedlove, 12 Jun 4582

Discoverer: Capt J T Kirk, 1 Dec 4580

Tentacular Tiger
Discoverer: Capt J T Kirk, 1 Jan 4583

Clingon
Discoverer: Capt J T Kirk, 29 Mar 4583

Other:

Discoverer: Capt J T Kirk, 23 Oct 4582

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 10:45 on Nov 13, 2017

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Heh, I knew a Captain Sullivan.

We should explore something!

:v:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

As far as I can tell, the random captain names are mostly astronauts with a mixture of sci-fi and space related thinkers and a few fictional characters thrown in. The ships are either famous space ships or earth ships. Sci-fi references abound throughout the game, some quite obscure.

Example game will be up in a couple of hours. Just need to write up the captions for the last quarter of the update.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Captain Kirk is ready to bring home all the space hunnies.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It seems like a short, randomly-generated game? That's all you need to hang out the roguelike shingle these days.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

To cautiously go a little bit into where no man has gone before before: The voyage of Captain Breedlove of the Hypercorvette Turtle

A gangster like Lextor Mucron would, of course, never send one expedition when so much more of the galaxy could be looted for rarities, collectibles and secret technology to sell to the highest bidder. But Garrett Breedlove, retired astronaut, didn't know about that. His was the first deep dive into sector prime aboard the ship Turtle.

A cautious man faced with the unknown, Breedlove plans a short tour on a nearby part of the sector that will return him back to Glory well in advance of the ten year limit. The first leg is to the nearest star, Ajax, an ancient, burned out husk.

Despite the weakness of the star, the planet of Avalon has teemed with life for millennia. The away team finds signs of an ancient civilization and ventures into a hidden tomb. They come away with an ancient artifact.

From there the next hop is to the nearby red dwarf Inferno.

Dropping to sublight speed to enter orbit, a ship is detected!

The Klakar are traders. They will do straight swaps for virtually anything we collect. Breedlove inspects the goods:

His original warp drive takes a long time to get anywhere. Most planets take a year or more. The Klakar have two superior drives that they are willing to trade. Are our low grade drives easier to sell? Do their quaint and retro stylings command a premium in alien minds? Who knows.

Naturally, Breedlove takes the fastest, the mysterious Ion Flux Drive.

Similarly, they take his primitive chemical thruster for the Newton-defying Reactionless Thruster. It's not as easy to quantify the improvement compared to the light drives, but it certainly is a huge improvement on the OEM equioment.

Missiles are swapped for... alarmingly larger missiles.

The Chain gun is swapped for a sinister looking mass of alien electronics, too.

Breedlove inspects this, but the mantle of Babulon is probably worth more.

With trading over, the Klakar present a beacon that will summon them any time that a bargain is desired. They will also help out if you get in a sticky situation, but there is a price. The away team finds a mysterious lifeform on Sylvanus.

Nebulae block the way to Auric. It will take far too long to get there.

The other two options are Brin and Ruby. Brin brushes the edge of the nebulae but still is faster and will work better to make a circuit or the lower quadrant of the map.

High technology is found on Argus, a highly useful scanner that can pick up ship energy signatures as well as hypercable.

From here, Breedlove decides to go to to Asimov and loop over to Muse to begin the return journey.

Another marine world, known to the locals as Poseidon. They have a lower technology level here, but present him with a prized delicacy with an unappealing appearance.

The fiery planet of Hades reveals a fiery thruster. This would have been a good find, but I suspect our current one is better, I think it's one of the best in the game.

A skip over to Ruby. Note the much reduced travel time due to our Ion Flux Warp Drive.

On the lush world of Xanadu, a strange, slug like alien is found near a crashed fighter craft. Not aggressive, and desperate to get back to space, a deal is quickly reached.

On the left, we can see the new craft. It will go wherever we go and comes under our control if there's a fight. The systems are somewhat superior to our original ones but it's a very small craft.

It's hard to tell which is better. It is decided to take a risk and offer the thruster to the Mephit. The captain will know if it is better than his current one and install it, helping in combat.

Obviously the pulse detonation thruster is worse then the Fusion one. Now we know! Luckily the Muktian captain gives it back to us, other, more mercenary captains would have taken it as trade fodder.

Since we got the thruster back, we trade it for an upgraded sensor array that detects all spaceships in a sector.

Neat Name!

This is convenient. We should be able to return the lost Muktian, hopefully for some sort of valuable reward.

Oh. The Mephit uploaded the Muktian signatures to the Turtle, so it can't be them after all!

The ships are from the mysterious Tan Ru, beings made of living electronics. (A note beside the log entry: Check thesaurus under 'Mysterious')

Err... The Hypercorvette Turtle isn't backwards compatible with anything x86. Perhaps if he sends a ASCII [Y] on the hyperwave transmitter?

They're moving towards us, rapid rise in electromagnetic fields detected, hyperwave range pings received. Oh poo poo! The Mephit goes left to try and decoy the fighters. The Turtle will hopefully fall in behind them and engage them while they aren't manoeuvering.

It's a huge misjudgment! Neither captain bargained on the superior performance of the Tan-Ru Fighters. They swiftly run down the Mephit and four mysterious beams burn holes in the hull, flash igniting the sub-light thruster fuel containment.

But the Mephit's sacrifice has allowed the Turtle to get behind the fighters and launch a Multi-Missile. The horrified crew see for the first time the devastating effect of the alien weapon as it splits into multiple seekers and obliterates several of the fighters in a single salvo. The proton beam casts a weird green light and as it burns through the last fighter's shield, a frying, sizzling sound travels back up the proton steam and through the hull of the Turtle. The beam slices parts off the fighter, making short work of it.

Afterwards, Breedlove and the crew thank their lucky stars that they didn't encounter these terrifying aliens with their original systems. There's no doubt the beams would have done far more damage than Impaler Missiles, while the nimble fighters would dodge most chain gun salvos. And if they were still on chemical thrusters, the Corvette would have had only one chance to fire before the fighters passed into the stern blind spot, where they would have been able to blast apart the Turtle at leisure.

In orbit around the planet of Shale, a Warp Drive of similar mechanism to the Mephit's thruster is found. Perhaps the Muktian expedition that the Mephit came from was wiped out by the Tan-Ru? Sadly, there wasn't time to find out.

With nothing more in Shale or in the quadrant to explore, Breedlove returns home. Much of the rest of the sector remains unexplored, but there might be more aliens out there! But by returning home early, Breedlove will surely be first and that must add novelty value, right? The crew look forward to an uneventful trip home.

It seems the galaxy has one more trick up it's sleeve, though. Alarms blare as the automatic cut-out drops the ship out of warp space and the thrusters apply a 140 megagrams of reverse thrust in a tenth of a second. Unluckily, in such a drastic manoeuvre, the reactionless thrusters leak a considerable amount of reaction and the crew is stretched rather messily. Luckily, enough grey matter survives that the medi-droids can re-structure the pulverized bodies with an loss of less than 10% of the ship's overall IQ. It's a small price to pay to avoid running into an uncharted black hole though, and no doubt scientific institutions and national navigation authorities will be happy to know the secret location of a black hole when the time comes to send their own expeditions out.

An angry Breedlove names the black hole after a troll he knew who lived in his mother's basement. The course to Ajax brushes uncomfortably close to the gravity well, but should be survivable. It's much quicker than via Brin.

The real last leg is, in fact uneventful.

An above board expedition would be greeted by a flotilla of private solar yachts and cheering throngs in a laser tape parade, but the Turtle slips into orbit unheralded, just another milsurp solar system trader. Mucron is pleased to have such a fast return, although it's not the fullest of holds, and pays out a sum that covers the costs of the voyage with a small bonus. Unfortunately, a fair portion of it disappears on the first weekend home in a binge of epic proportions, and Breedlove will regret not exploring more as he is forced to scratch out a living within the solar system.

Thus ends the voyage of the Hypercorvette Turtle. It lasted 4 years and 14 days.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Oct 16, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

user Rickvoid!

Captain Kirk of the Enterprise is ready to depart!

You have approximately 18 hours to plan your mission. Apologies for the short time, but the game has to be left running on my laptop and I don't want to leave it on continuously.

Your map (Hopefully, if everything works):

Travel times in days to the nearest stars at six times light speed:
Acheron: 1471
Anthem: 410
Omen: 451
Omicron: 237
Pagan: 254
Simak: 210

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Oct 16, 2017

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Also I think you would be greeted by cheering throngs, rather than thongs. I was going to submit a captain seeking to go retrieve ancient sci-fi from the depths of space, but I think this guy got close enough.

P.S. Van Vogt was a hack, but sometimes you want to read a book that throws good sense out the window. Voyage of the Dawn Space Beagle is a proto-star trek style book with a science officer that completely takes over the ship and the plot. Probably inspired the movie Alien, definitely led to the directors cut. Complete with a fight against a nebula that is opposed to all tool using life.

Edit:Space beagle, got my bad books mixed up.

habituallyred fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Oct 16, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Obviously this is more plausable if one lands in the Australian Galactifederation. Nicely caught, but I'll riposte that you've got your bold explorers a little mixed up in your title there :)

I've read a couple of Van Vogt's books because I can't resist following up obscure references of exactly the sort found in this game. (And I like having their campy covers on the shelves) IIRC, The Mind Cage was OK, but The Players of Null-A was rather opaque. I gave my brother Space Beagle with a few other books for Christmas a few years ago but I must borrow it back because I've never actually read it.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Oct 16, 2017

CountryMatters
Apr 8, 2009

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
This is neat. I've played Weird Worlds but know nothing of the prior games. Weird Worlds is fun enough but eventually all high-scoring strategies involve save scumming for one particular item then just increasing your score arbitrarily with no further need to worry about time limits or most of the travel mechanics

Rid
Jun 16, 2003

What do you mean you're out of butter?
This is brilliant! Looking forward to seeing how future voyages fare.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

So am I! Sign up today!

CountryMatters posted:

This is neat. I've played Weird Worlds but know nothing of the prior games. Weird Worlds is fun enough but eventually all high-scoring strategies involve save scumming for one particular item then just increasing your score arbitrarily with no further need to worry about time limits or most of the travel mechanics

This game is similar, there are many powerful items, including several that make the game fairly trivial to play, including the one I think you were talking about. It's very random though, some days you might be stuck with chemical thrusters all the way through.

I was quite surpised by havoc wreaked by the Multi-missile on this run, I've never used them much before and I didn't know the heads targeted separately. Usually I'm on a harder difficulty and fighting larger ships that absorb the blows better, I guess.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 16, 2017

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Our heading has been submitted to Navigation.

Engage.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
It looks like if you get back with the ship intact that pretty much pays back your loan by itself? Or was that counting all the upgrades you traded for?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Most of the value is in the upgrades. We picked up some quite good ones and obtained a decent artifact, but I think the creatures were underwhelming and of course we didn't discover many aliens or explore all the planets. I assume the 'other discoveries' score is for finding the black hole. And of course you can max out your exploration, but if you are overdue by a significant amount, then the penalty will probably put you in debt to Mucron anyway.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Godammit, My Laptop shut down about 5 minutes after I woke it up for some reason. I'll be a bit more careful this time (I was checking Emails before, and
it may have been running on battery, this time I'll start recording straight away), but if this one fails, we'll do blind playthroughs.

Rickvoid, here's your replacement map.

Distances from Glory:
Haze: 634
Lorelei: 375
Lyre: 451
Nergal: 450

I apologise because I should have run a couple of overnight tests to make sure the method worked right, but I got impatient and decided to start early.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 18, 2017

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
Previous Navigator has been fired (out the airlock). New course laid in.

Engage.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Good news! The Enterprise has departed, and many interesting discoveries were made, including space babes! With a little luck, I might be able to get the update done tomorrow.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I decided to split Kirk's journey into two parts to get it out in a reasonably quick time. His journey is finished, the other part should come sometime this weekend.

Presented with apologies to anyone who has seen more than one episode of star trek, because I haven't.

To Boldly Go Where No Man Has Gone Before: The Voyage of James Tiberius Kirk and the Enterprise

Captain Kirk blasts out of the galaxy heading for Pax. Accompanying him is a rather taciturn navigator with an inferiority complex regarding ears.

The first discovery is a strange semi-sentient creature with three heads.

At Lorelei, Kirk Encounters the Klakar [They generally hang around on the closest planets]. They offer quite a few new items and we see a few familiar ones.

Captain, The sleek Klakar higly esteem flowing oratory and subtle diplomatic exchanges. I have deputed Warrant Officer Clevedon to lead the negotiations.

No! Spock. The Klakar must be, honored, with the prescence of a , . . , . figure that... commands! respect. Why wouldinot; grace them with my prescence,

there!

One laser is upgraded to a massive tower of electronics with enormous capacitors sticking out at odd angles. The crew starts to avoid this weapon bay; Their hair rises on end every time they enter, and the hum it produces tends to cause a headache after a while.

The other bay gets an enormous slug cannon. After the test magnetization, standing orders are issued for all crew to remove their belt buckles and watches before weapons duty; Ensign Mabundie's personal magnetic field eventually weakens enough for him to be levered away from the main coil casing after several weeks of spoon feeding and assisted bowel movements.

A particularly fine shield is on sale, formerly part of the Lord High Lifeguard of Lorelei's personal yacht. It glows a ruby red when activated, and it's no fault of the device's that someone left it in docking mode during a trip through an asteroid belt. An as-new condition Gluon shield makes an even trade thanks to a couple of small dents in the beautifully burnished generator casing.

What is that, Spock?

It is a starship propulsion system system that vibrates electrons apart using the Slater-Bauhauser effect, Captain. The electro-condenser then breaks down the...

It's mine is what it is,

Spock.

The Enterprise leaves Lorelei considerably more capable than when it arrives. The weapons and new thrusters are an improvement, but it's the shield and engines that are really worth writing home about.

A curious discovery is made on Lorelei. The population there enjoys swimming in nebulae in the belief that it relieves pressure on the digestive system, and use specially modified engines that spray Higgs' Bosons ahead of the craft, exploiting the well known lubricating properties of the elementary particle to slip through the dust of the nebulae at a speed comparable to normal space. Kirk trades several shoulder patches from the Enterprises' uniform shop and promises of non-aggression from future expeditions for one of the mysterious drives.

Haze is a pulsar, and Kirk aims to become the first man to visit one.

Sadly, as the Enterprise enters the system's gravity well, multiple energy sigs are detected. Within minutes they accelerate toward the Enterprise at a speed that almost certainly indicates hostility. As several more smaller contacts come in, the crew point the ship off the orbital plane and hit the warps for several minutes in a blind jump out of the system. They then turn the ship around and return to Lorelei.

Kirk is no coward, but discretion is the better part of valor. Kirk vows to penetrate the system once he has weapons capable of taking on multiple peer-level craft. A trip to Auric helps, as Kirk finds an ally.

The next leg is quiet. A fantastic gas giant is found a Simak. Tranquility settles over the crew in the week it takes to map the planet, fly a sampler through the rings and take samples from the outer atmosphere to the outer core of the majestic giant. It is a contented ship that leaves the system.

Pagan's welcoming red light glows over the teeming, lively world of Sylvanus. Kirk heads the away team and is stalked by a magnificent, dangerous carnivore which he defeats in an exciting battle of wits.

Kirk refuses to leave until he captures the beast. Eventually it is lured to the camp using Petty Officer Henriks as bait. Kirk's cage trap fails, but he grabs a net and trident and defeats the beast in an exciting battle just in time to save Hendriks.

Glory is naught but a tiny dot as Kirk turns homeward. They've made excellent time and it looks as if there will be time to explore further planets around the edges of the Albion Nebula and perhaps even push in through it.

When Kirk reaches Szilard, he detects mysterious coded signals flashing about. Three ships are identified and Kirk approaches. He, too, has found the Tan Ru.

Gotcha!

The Gauss cannon reaches a long way, does it not, Spock?

The accuracy rate of the electron accelerator gun is concerning, Captain. It misses alarmingly often.

Look what they did to the Muktian! He caught a full cloud from that particle projector... ...Thing.

Attaack! Get on their Tail! Fire! Fire! Fire!

The Electron accelerator gun has missed a 100m wide ship twice from less than 100m away, Captain. This level of inaccuracy was last recorded by redcoat forces in the peninsula war in 1807.

Get closer then!

The Enterprise's Shuttle bay has become entangled in the Tan Ru craft's engines, Captain.

Well, at least there ought to be something interesting down here if those guys were interested in this place.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Oct 19, 2017

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!
...of course Kirk would find that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I hear Tribbles love Clingons. ...and anything else organic and immobile.

RickVoid
Oct 21, 2010
It's everything I could have wanted.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Tribbles and Clingons, Oh my!

I'm fairly sure that the clingon is the least valuble object in the game, the data files aren't encrypted and you can look up all the objects.

I've updated the OP posts with a glossary of items discovered and their discoverers as well as the scoreboard. I'll try to keep it up to date throughout.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Strange Trek II: The search for Green Chicks

Leaving behind the tribulations of Szilard, The planet of Vale, off Karn, yields a real find. The device jams the guidance of many weapons.

A black hole is detected on the way to Lyre, forcing an abort.

The crew detours to Auric. They further approach Hale again, and the energy signatures are now recognized as the Tan Ru. Kirk decides against attacking the force.

Finally reaching Lyre, A mercenary starship is in orbit. It's not much of a thing, between the Enterprise and a fighter in size and with Terran systems.

Captain, The Captain of the Moon Marauder states that her ship is available to increase our fighting power if we can supply her with better systems or at least a valuable item to trade. She suggests a meeting in her craft to discuss terms.

Is she Green?!

She is blue, captain, although she claims to be Terran

Well, maybe I can wear some yellow glasses.

Hmmm. A Pity we have no spare thrusters... We could give her the Temporal shield and trade with the Klakar to get our old Gluon shield back. That would give our ships about equal defensive power. Or we could give her the signature projector and keep the Enterprise capable of fighting larger ships by itself. I think that's the better option.

Kirk decides to explore the Albion Nebula. With the Hydrogen Nebula Drive fitted, it will take about a year to travel through to the far side. But then the Graviton drive can be refitted and the return trip around the end of it will be much faster. With 5 years in hand, it's a workable proposition. It takes a week to fit the new drive.

In the middle of the Nebula, Kirk finally reaches his pulsar when he enters the system of Iblis. A strange artifact is found.

Kirk makes good time through the Nebula.

At Asteroth, a somewhat less mysterious item is found.

It takes another week to refit the Graviton drive but it will save two months of travel. The continuum renderer Array has detected energy sigs on Dweomer. It is a determined and well prepared crew that departs.

Three fighters and three corvettes. Are they friendly?

The Urluquai are ugly relatives of the six finned bloater.

The Urluquai are manoeuvering their ships out of our weapon arcs, Captain.

Hold on Spock, I'm trying to figure out this message.

We are surrounded, Captain.

Get the fighters first! Then we'll see about the corvettes

Oh no! If we can just get the other fighters, we might be able to escape!

Corvette in range on the starboard quarter, Captain.

We're well rid of them. Maybe if we can take on one corvette on it's own, and come back later for the other ones!

They have destroyed the shield generator. All other systems have been repaired.

Captain! Incoming missiles!

Kirk's log is found in 4603 by an Asiafed salvage cruiser and he is later credited with many new discoveries. His voyage becomes part of lore throughout sector prime.

Thus ends the voyage of the hypercorvette Enterprise. It lasted 7 years, 3 months and 12 days.

Nooo! Kirk! :smith:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
:911: He died doing what he liked.

Might have been happier doing what he loved, around Shandakor, but hey.

http://www.mezzacotta.net/planetofhats/episodes/0112.html

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

The impression that I'm getting from these recap comics is that they assigned a being with pure logic because no one else had any :)

I've got to admit, I failed to notice that the shield had been destroyed and turned toward the corvette. Those fighters did a lot more damage that most fighters. I'm not sure if we had enough speed to escape anyway. Although I could have called the Klakar. But they want trade bits as payment which directly affects your score, so I never take that option.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
SAIS wears its Trek homages on its sleeve. The corvette design is clearly a nod to the Enterprise and the Moon Marauder is a nod to the old TOS-era destroyer design as well.
The sequel, Weird Worlds, tries to dial this back a bit (possibly due to fear of copyright lawyers).

Now we've met the Urlaqui I can note they're a total bunch of bastards. Their ships are quite fragile but carry very powerful weapons, and they have that trick of automatically surrounding you at the start of the battle. They have another trick up their sleeve we haven't seen yet (although I'm not sure they can do it in SAIS), which will make their Trek origins even more obvious.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I believe I know the one you mean.

There's about half a dozen game changers in SAIS combat that allow you to dictate the pace or otherwise wrest the initiative. There's a weapon or two, but most are miscellaneous items of all kinds. Breedlove's Weapon load was probably slightly better than Kirk's, and he had the best thrusters which are vital if you need to disengage, but Kirk found the best shield in the game.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Six ships seems like something of a tall order for any single fighter. I suppose you get get a bigger escort here and there?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Surprisingly not. There are a couple of more capable small ships though. The Moon Marauder isn't much good unless it gets upgrades to improve survivability. In retrospect, I probably should have tried the shield swapping plan. Many corvettes are successful without ever upgrading the shields, while the Marauder would have become tough enough to survive fighter attack. Keeping the signature projector on board the more tanky ship would have helped as well, that salvo of missiles might not have hit if we'd had it on board. Also in retrospect, the best plan would have been to break through the fighter side of the cordon and retreated. Neither ship had good anti fighter weapons, but the problem is that the fighters will come to you no matter what you do, so they must be dealt with.

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Well at least he went out with a bang.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Indeed, probably beats being sucked into a black hole.

Cokerpilot!

Here is your map:

Distances from Hope in days:
Acheron: 243
Chronos: 376
Gygax: 823
Karn: 595
Vesta: 710
Xanath: 537

You have about 40 hours to submit a plan. This plan may be in any format you wish. Good luck!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Just a small heads up, If Cokerpilot doesn't issue orders by tomorrow, I'll open it up to orders from the floor. Nothing personal, just can't leave the game idling forever, and it's really too good a map to waste, even on easy you don't get one with such a clear path all that often!

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
Too good a map to waste, my two cents would be:

Acheron- hope to trade for a better open-space engine and a ship scanner, settle for replacing our starting weapons
Chronos-
Xanath-
Karh- Final Abort point, if we have already lost systems to combat or have fewer than 5 years left abort to Glory
Zappa- Dodge this one and go straight to Anthem if there are ships here
Anthem- clear this system or die, consider going to Dagon if there is more nebula interference than appears on the map
Iblis- if we have a nebula-equivalent drive and less than 3 years left detour to Gygax and then to Glory
Pax-
Vesta-
Glory

Probably going to go over on time with this route, doesn't have a whole lot of time for encountering hostile ships much less routing around them

Almost too straightforward a set of instructions

cokerpilot
Apr 23, 2010

Battle Brothers! Stop coming to meetings drunk and trying to adopt Tevery Best!

Lord General! Stop standing on the table and making up stupid operation names!

Emperor, why do I put up with these people?
Yah I'm thinking starting with Acheron: 243

and then doing a big old loop around the the sector.

The questions I am really thinking about are Saphire, Murz and Iblis...

cokerpilot fucked around with this message at 14:21 on Oct 24, 2017

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Don't forget that you're very likely to get at least some sort of upgraded drive, they're one of the most common types of upgrades. (And I really hope I haven't jinxed it by saying that!)

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

OK, I thought of a better way to get started and aid you all in your planning. In this and all further playthroughs, I'll proceed to the nearest planet and hopefully encounter the Klakar. This gives you a lot more choice on how to tackle your sector and kit your ship.

Speaking of, I'd love to have a couple of captains lined up for a few more playthroughs, it would be a shame to have to finish after only one or two. Fill out this sheet to sign up. Thinking of relaxing the spoiler policy after this one so you can go in search of whatever rare item you like.

Voyage 3.1: Captain Jingles of HMS TOG

AND SO Captain Jingles Departs on the Lumbering Spaceship HMS TOG

At Acheron, he meets the Klakar. And they have quite the kit laid out for him today:

Yeah, remember those game changers I was talking about? There's at least one in here. The Signature projector is a missile jammer that can already be seen in the second post. The brass time capsule is the one containing a Van Vogt novel in it. The weapons described as 'large' cannot be fitted to ally ships. Up to you to figure out which bits do what.

And on the planet itself, a particularly flash star drive is found! Probably a good replacement for your current one. You can trade this or any other bit on your ship.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Does it recharge while not connected to the ship? Can you use it, spend the week refitting your original drive, go on that for a month and a half, then refit the Hyperdrive to use it again?

• Locked thread