Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

It might also buffer X seconds, so if it cuts out for a second, you won’t notice the skips.

It’s today’s version of the anti-skip on Discmans!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

It’s today’s version of the anti-skip on Discmans!
Wow, talk about a blast from the past :rock:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you hold the watch so it's spinning vertically it skips less.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Yeah but you have to remember to push the "Skip Protection" button first duh :rolleyes:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
So in the USA, the only way I can get an Apple Watch that measures SpO2 at this point is if I buy a used model that was purchased before the early 2024 cutoff (which can be verified by certain characters in the model number)? Change of ownership on an old model doesn't affect this?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Splinter posted:

Change of ownership on an old model doesn't affect this?

Correct. E: also the ones that are being sold now still have the blood oxygen hardware, it’s a software disable, so it’ll likely be reenabled in the future after Apple either wins their appeals or reaches a deal.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Splinter posted:

So in the USA, the only way I can get an Apple Watch that measures SpO2 at this point is if I buy a used model that was purchased before the early 2024 cutoff (which can be verified by certain characters in the model number)? Change of ownership on an old model doesn't affect this?

Additionally, if you need to have it warrantied for any reason, you'll likely lose SpO2, since Apple Watch warranties are all hardware swaps.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Raymond T. Racing posted:

Additionally, if you need to have it warrantied for any reason, you'll likely lose SpO2, since Apple Watch warranties are all hardware swaps.

Apple’s permitted to bring in functional SpO2 watches for service/repair and for warranty replacement. (This doesn’t 100% mean you won’t lose SpO2, since what they’re permitted to do is distinct from what they’ll actually do, but the actual judgment provided them with this ability.)

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

Kalman posted:

Apple’s permitted to bring in functional SpO2 watches for service/repair and for warranty replacement. (This doesn’t 100% mean you won’t lose SpO2, since what they’re permitted to do is distinct from what they’ll actually do, but the actual judgment provided them with this ability.)

everything that I've seen is that warranty swaps end up as SpO2-disabled ones

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I’ve had this Series 7 since launch.
How do I turn on SpO2, or did one of the WatchOS updates disable it?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eightysixed posted:

I’ve had this Series 7 since launch.
How do I turn on SpO2, or did one of the WatchOS updates disable it?

If you've had it since launch, no, it will have it (in the US, anyway, idk about other countries). Open the Blood Oxygen app.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Raymond T. Racing posted:

everything that I've seen is that warranty swaps end up as SpO2-disabled ones

Entirely possible! I’m familiar with the lawsuit and its outcomes, not with the Apple warranty process.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Endless Mike posted:

If you've had it since launch, no, it will have it (in the US, anyway, idk about other countries). Open the Blood Oxygen app.
Oh, wow, look at that :eyepop:

Yeah, I bought it on launch day, US model and apparently it's been tracking it ever since the day I bought it in the Health App, I just never thought to look for it. I picked my "Favorites" or whatever for the Health app dashboard, and I guess I glanced right over that. Thank you, added :cheers: :h:

(I hope an average of 98% is good over the years I've had it, seems like 100% would be best :ohdear: )

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!

eightysixed posted:

(I hope an average of 98% is good over the years I've had it, seems like 100% would be best :ohdear: )

You may be a zombie

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

Splinter posted:

You may be a zombie
:zombie:

Kalman posted:

Correct. E: also the ones that are being sold now still have the blood oxygen hardware, it’s a software disable
This is why I thought that one of the trillion WatchOS updates might have disabled it, but clearly that's not true.

eightysixed fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Apr 24, 2024

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

eightysixed posted:

Oh, wow, look at that :eyepop:

Yeah, I bought it on launch day, US model and apparently it's been tracking it ever since the day I bought it in the Health App, I just never thought to look for it. I picked my "Favorites" or whatever for the Health app dashboard, and I guess I glanced right over that. Thank you, added :cheers: :h:

Anything over 95% is normal. Below 92% is where you should be concerned, but only if it's staying there since it's not going to have perfect measurements all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

eightysixed posted:

:zombie:

This is why I thought that one of the trillion WatchOS updates might have disabled it, but clearly that's not true.

Nope. Apple won in district court, but lost in the ITC - but the ITC doesn’t have jurisdiction once product is in-country, only when it’s crossing the border and for a limited time thereafter (basically while still in Apple’s possession). They can’t order Apple to disable the feature for customers who already have a watch.