Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

Like a poster above I user a chainmail scrubber and lightly run it over the surface under warm running water while the pan is warm to remove any food that is left on. Lodge also sells plastic scrapers that work well. If you have stuff really burned on there you can heat the pan up and then put it under hot water to steam off anything that may be stuck on. I've also had my brother just burn poo poo on that is polymerized to the coating and will never come off so at that point you just stick it in the oven on clean and start over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

ContraBoss posted:

This is where I’m still unclear on cast iron. How are you cleaning it without soap? I remember years ago everything sticking to it, regardless of how much oil was used, and don’t understand how you’re supposed to clean off bits of charred food without actually washing it.

You absolutely can (and should) clean your nasty cast iron pan with soap. As long as you've properly seasoned it (polymerized oil on the surface) then it's no problem.

The whole not using soap thing is a bullshit old wives' tale.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Oh good this retard debate again.

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

A friend of mine uses salt for extra scrubbing power, but I feel like it's a waste of money.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Kosher salt does work well.
I do love my chainmail scrubber though.
Soap is ok if you wipe on and then wipe and Rinse right off. It is NOT necessary. Most food will wipe out or will with just water.
Never let the pan sit in water.
Dry it and use a paper towel to rub a small drop off peanut oil over the surface of the entire pan, inside and out before storing.

There. Now you too can care for cast iron and not be a loving moron.

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Third World Reggin posted:

cast iron owns since it is just good marketing

we got better pans with less work and less maintenance and near as long of a lifespan but you don't want it

you want that lovely cast iron

cast iron should be 'cast aside' due to recent advances in sturdy teflon

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

pic from my dinner last night

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

ContraBoss posted:

This is where I’m still unclear on cast iron. How are you cleaning it without soap? I remember years ago everything sticking to it, regardless of how much oil was used, and don’t understand how you’re supposed to clean off bits of charred food without actually washing it.

soap is fine, goons are just gross as hell and like inventing rules about how it's actually wrong to have hygiene. it's possible to soak/scrub off the finish, but it takes like ten minutes to reseason if you gently caress it up so figure it out and don't be scared of sanitation

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Dec 21, 2017

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES
Cast Iron pans are rear end. Long live Teflon cooking.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Tbh something that heats up to 400+ Fahrenheit as part of its normal use has slightly different sanitation standards than your plate and cup and fork.

Everything burns off with sufficient heat.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
OP, you're a fuckwad. hth.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Colonel Cancer posted:

Tbh something that heats up to 400+ Fahrenheit as part of its normal use has slightly different sanitation standards than your plate and cup and fork.

Everything burns off with sufficient heat.

you probably won't die from an improperly cleaned pan but I also know people whose idea of "cleaning the dishes" leaves big globs of rotting food on them who've lived into their late 30s. Lots of the stuff that can make you sick from food spoilage stays around until you burn it to a cinder, that's why nobody recommends you just take that slimy three-weeks-expired chuck roast and cook it to 160 and serve it.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 21, 2017

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003
i use a cast iron pan because im a millennial and make avocado toast on it and listen to, uh, trap wave (?)

Cerebral Mayhem
Jul 18, 2000

Very useful on the planet Delphon, where they communicate with their eyebrows
I found my grandmother's old cast iron skillet while clearing out my mom's condo to get it ready to sell. I was able to identify it thanks in part to this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hmDBvgTWFE .Turns out it's a Griswold #10, made between 1939 and 1944. I cleaned it up, re-seasoned it and use it quite frequently.

It's nice to have this memento that will last until the sun explodes.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

hahahah you cook your food???

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Wash your poo poo you god damned retards

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

never wash your jeans

never close your door

DustyNuts
Jun 1, 2000

Have you seen me?

Big Beef City posted:

Kosher salt does work well.
I do love my chainmail scrubber though.
Soap is ok if you wipe on and then wipe and Rinse right off. It is NOT necessary. Most food will wipe out or will with just water.
Never let the pan sit in water.
Dry it and use a paper towel to rub a small drop off peanut oil over the surface of the entire pan, inside and out before storing.

There. Now you too can care for cast iron and not be a loving moron.

Yeah all good advice. The chain mail scrubber keeps showing up in advertisements to me on Facebook so they know I use cast iron somehow. :tinfoil:

UNCUT PHILISTINE
Jul 27, 2006

1500quidporsche posted:

Cast Iron pans are rear end. Long live Teflon cooking.

Enjoy your rear end cancer

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
I have 3 that belonged to my great grand mother and a large 4th one that I bought at a flea market. One is only 8 or 10 inches and its perfect for when I make hash browns.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Cast iron is disgusting and unsanitary if you only use scrubbers / water / salt and heat it to 220C without soap.

Soap is more effective at cleaning then heating it to > autoclave temperatures = goons

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Dec 22, 2017

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
I use a chainmail scrubber. That and hot water gets everything off.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Jikes posted:

I use a chainmail scrubber. That and hot water gets everything off.

Same, and my Wok. Usually the Wok doesn't need the scrubber, just salt if it won't wipe off, and reapply oil.

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

numberoneposter posted:

never close your door

Unless you're trying to brainwash someone in a relationship

• Locked thread