Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
whenever I want cooking to be more interesting, I bring out my heavy-as-hammers cast iron skillet and rub some sunflower oil onto it and then throw some meat or whatever on there. its sorta satisfying in a churn-your-own-butter kind of way but in the end everything tastes sorta the same as when I use the cheap generic nonstick pans from walmart. I do like being able to sear steak and get that super nice crust, except the whole house and my clothes smell like meat becuase of all the smoke.

I got my dad into cast iron, and he found some dutch oven on the side of the road and uses it to make some incredibly lazy peach cobbler which tastes actually amazing considering he just dumps the ingredients in there. Still havent figured out how to make scrambled eggs which dont stick unless I use a terrifying amount of oil or like 5 seconds of nonstick spray.

i guess to give it more credit, its cool using the skillet to make everything. and its satisfying knowing you don't really have to wash it each time. though ill occasionally give it a good scrub with some soap and water if something really sticks on.

e: i forgot to add a poll :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I cook everything in pyrex, it's fine

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Lol yeah I'm gonna cook some meat with some sunflower oil in some cast iron nonsense when I can just put the same piece of meat in a cereal bowl and microwave it for 9 minutes.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I'm gonna bring out my heavy as hammers dilz and lube it up with sunflower oil.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016
One time a decade ago I decided I'd make flank steak for fajitas in a big cast iron skillet. Unfortunately I neglected to warm the meat up to room temp, so when I tossed the cold meat :giggity: onto the super hot pan, it cracked almost in two. I freaked out and picked up the skillet, which then leaked oil out of the crack onto the burner element, catching ALL the oil on fire and throwing me into more of a panic.

I loved that pan. :saddowns:

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Ya loving up if you meat smoking during a sear

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

I know this because *looks into crystal ball* I am a master sear

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

buglord posted:

I do like being able to sear steak and get that super nice crust, except the whole house and my clothes smell like meat becuase of all the smoke.

This but when I make jerk chicken. Sucks having a small apartment kitchen.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
The proper way to use cast iron pans is to fill it with a bit of oil for the first use and thoroughly cook it through until it forms a polymer non-stick surface. As long as you don't use metal scrubbers, this non stick surface should remain indefinitely.

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I cook everything in my skillet because all I have to do to clean it is rinse it out and then burn some oil off and it's good to go again and I am super lazy.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

I enjoy cooking, with pans.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

mycomancy posted:

One time a decade ago I decided I'd make flank steak for fajitas in a big cast iron skillet. Unfortunately I neglected to warm the meat up to room temp, so when I tossed the cold meat :giggity: onto the super hot pan, it cracked almost in two. I freaked out and picked up the skillet, which then leaked oil out of the crack onto the burner element, catching ALL the oil on fire and throwing me into more of a panic.

I loved that pan. :saddowns:

Was your cast iron like an eighth of an inch thick or something? I don't understand how any amount of cold meat would make it crack

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Away all Goats posted:

Was your cast iron like an eighth of an inch thick or something? I don't understand how any amount of cold meat would make it crack

yeah, that makes no sense at all. cast iron does not crack

Caufman
May 7, 2007
I like the way it broils things.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
Sure I have like half a dozen scars from serious burns on my hands after absentmindedly grabbing the handle but it's worth it cause I can act smug about never washing my pan

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
You actually wash your pan? With soap?! Do you even know how to season?!!

a gay lion named Tangiers
Jul 30, 2013
cast iron best iron and my cast iron feels like glass under my fingers when i caress it, as i do before each and every meal

your nonstick bullshit might cook the same food but it certainly does not deliver the same meal

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Away all Goats posted:

The thought was that it was of an undetermined age and that the crack came from some sort of damage or flaw. :shrug:

proctorbot
Jan 27, 2005
BUT CAN IT FEEL??!?!
I don't get it. How does it not get gross if you never wash it? That's just "the flavor", all the gross left over particulate matter from your previous 38 meals?

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I used to have a great cast iron pan but now I live in a place with a ceramic stove and that's not a good combo. Back to using lovely rear end nonstick pans that wear out after 2 years of use. :smith:

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

proctorbot posted:

I don't get it. How does it not get gross if you never wash it? That's just "the flavor", all the gross left over particulate matter from your previous 38 meals?

You clean out all of the food and apply a new layer of oil for the next use. The only time this is an issue is when you cook something like salmon or any other oily fish and that can leave a smell in the pan for a use or two.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION

Frumply posted:

You clean out all of the food and apply a new layer of oil for the next use. The only time this is an issue is when you cook something like salmon or any other oily fish and that can leave a smell in the pan for a use or two.

Sacre bleu

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
You must heat the pan after oiling to season

Frumply
Dec 7, 2004

you can't make me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Caufman
May 7, 2007
You cannot use a teflon pan to bash a zombie's head in. The blow will just slide off.

Sinding Johansson
Dec 1, 2006
STARVED FOR ATTENTION
When the sex nazi rapists come for your women you're gonna wish you were cooking cast

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ITe9Koh7kug&t=71s

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
pro tip, steamed rat

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Colonel Cancer posted:

The proper way to use cast iron pans is to fill it with a bit of oil for the first use and thoroughly cook it through until it forms a polymer non-stick surface. As long as you don't use metal scrubbers, this non stick surface should remain indefinitely.

Not using soap helps too.

EFB
loving fuckkkkkkk

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Dec 21, 2017

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Use it to saute mashed potatoes.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
cast iron is the only kind of pan to use. don't be a scrub: use cast iron.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

My dad keeps putting the cast iron pans in the dishwasher and it drives my mom nuts.

He also has a habit of ruining anything nonstick by absent-mindedly using metal on it, so there's really no winning.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Is there anything a cast iron pan can do that my grill cannot do better?

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

A grill is a cast iron pan that is limited to only one heat source.

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Be used inside for 35 minutes rather than tending charcoal and cooking in -20f Wisconsin winters

Big Beef City
Aug 15, 2013

Also you guys are dumb as hell.
I have an actual chainmail scrubber for my cast iron pans. Lol at "BLLLUUUUUHHH U CAN'T USE METAL ON DEM" ... Just have to use the right KIND. IDIOTS! RETARDS!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

zedprime posted:

A grill is a cast iron pan that is limited to only one heat source.

Are you implying that you can subsequently put the cast iron pan in the oven to finish food?

Because if you know how to grill, then you know how to setup for indirect heat.

Lupin
Feb 21, 2007

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Are you implying that you can subsequently put the cast iron pan in the oven to finish food?

Because if you know how to grill, then you know how to setup for indirect heat.

Are you really this dense?

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Yes.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
cast iron owns since it is just good marketing

we got better pans with less work and less maintenance and near as long of a lifespan but you don't want it

you want that lovely cast iron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ContraBoss
Dec 6, 2005

Well *I* only read the New Yorker and eat Fancy Feast.

Frumply posted:

This is where I’m still unclear on cast iron. How are you cleaning it without soap? I remember years ago everything sticking to it, regardless of how much oil was used, and don’t understand how you’re supposed to clean off bits of charred food without actually washing it.

• Locked thread