Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HMS Beagle
Feb 13, 2009

StashAugustine posted:

i only today realized the difference between bourgeoisie and bourgeois

However there is no difference between the bourgeois and the Borgias.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

StashAugustine posted:

i only today realized the difference between bourgeoisie and bourgeois

I still have to resort to a spell checker whenever I want to say either

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

Maduo posted:

i know just the topic to change it to that is never toxic and always produces sane and rational debate:

I used to think Israel used to be a bad and mean country in the 60s but stopped because something something golda meir something something yasser arafat

Yeah it turns out any positive work of a liberal government is trivially undermined by psychotic right wingers the moment they take power.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

MaxxBot posted:

I don't understand how Jeb! is a such a MESS

He blew $160 million to get 3 total delegates in the GOP primary.

Jeb! is a waste.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
i thought fiscally conservative, socially liberal was a good term when i was in high school during the Bush era but I realized that this country's standards are way way way beyond that, and i mean it's immeasurably lower so to apply that term actually makes a mushmouthed excuse for wealth inequality and armed fascism to grow unchecked in a stagnant political reality, so now I look at people who say that with contempt because they live on a different planet than people who actually have to struggle to live day to day in America due to active barriers which has nothing to do with bootstrapping at loving all.

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice

Lastgirl posted:

i thought fiscally conservative, socially liberal was a good term when i was in high school during the Bush era but I realized that this country's standards are way way way beyond that, and i mean it's immeasurably lower so to apply that term actually makes a mushmouthed excuse for wealth inequality and armed fascism to grow unchecked in a stagnant political reality, so now I look at people who say that with contempt because they live on a different planet than people who actually have to struggle to live day to day in America due to active barriers which has nothing to do with bootstrapping at loving all.

:yeah:

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

Lastgirl posted:

Oh god this was me and I look back on my past self in a sort of weird mixture of horror and relief.

Pikavangelist
Nov 9, 2016

There is no God but Arceus
And Pikachu is His prophet

Lastgirl posted:

From what I've seen, libertarianism is not uncommon as an intermediate step in the progression from "right-wing rear end in a top hat" to "guillotine the 1%".

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Can confirm, I was a conservative rear end in a top hat as a kid, a libertarian rear end in a top hat in my later teens, and now lust for bougie blood.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Pikavangelist posted:

From what I've seen, libertarianism is not uncommon as an intermediate step in the progression from "right-wing rear end in a top hat" to "guillotine the 1%".

Yeah but it can also easily go down the "murder the poor" fascist route. I think it largely depends on whether they get into it over legal weed or age of consent laws

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
I thought I was a libertarian because I was on the high school debate team so I had read a bunch of political writing from the original libertarians, so clearly because I thought it should be legal to marry whoever you want, college should be free so you could learn whatever you want, and health care should be free because otherwise you aren't free to live your life however you want, I must be a libertarian :downs:

That one ended quickly when I heard about Ron Paul. Which is probably not how most people fell out of libertarianism.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I don't know who Max Stirner is or why he calls things "spooks."

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
I can't remember.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I sincerely thought this country wasn't stupid enough to elect Trump, even knowing that somehow bush won in 04

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

I originally thought Broken Windows Theory meant fix broken windows in communities and make them look nice and people won't psychologically feel as hopeless.

Turns out it was actually throw kids in jail for years for damaging abandoned properties.

fabergay egg
Mar 1, 2012

it's not a rhetorical question, for politely saying 'you are an idiot, you don't know what you are talking about'

broke: throwing people in jail for vandalism

woke: pay people a fair wage to fix up their neighborhoods

ferroque
Oct 27, 2007

Woken Windows Theory

Captain Billy Pissboy
Oct 25, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice
When I was little I thought the State of the Union was a yearly contest.

The first time I heard the term commodity fetishism I assumed people were loving oil barrels or something.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

my first ever probe was for being a giant dumbass about the uk political system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lindsey O. Graham
Dec 31, 2016

"We're not generating enough angry white guys to stay in business for the long term."

- The Chief
my entire political career

• Locked thread