Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A3th3r
Jul 27, 2013

success is a dream & achievements are the cream
final fantasy 8 is the true masterpiece of the final fantasy franchise & FF7 is just average

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stuffed crust punk
Oct 8, 2004

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cuntman.net posted:

there were always adventure games on newgrounds and stuff. there had to be at least a few good ones

There was a trio of old flash games called exmortis that were cool and impressive in an amateurish way

Really atmospheric for the time

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A3th3r posted:

final fantasy 8 is the true masterpiece of the final fantasy franchise & FF7 is just average

this but FF9

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

precision posted:

this but FF9

This but FF6 is just average

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

"Canon" poo poo tends to ruin games' stories. I don't give a gently caress about which Zelda comes in which order for example and game stories are more enjoyable if they don't try to cover up every inconsistency gap with a stupid explanation.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

A3th3r posted:

precision posted:

this but FF9

Good soup! posted:

This but FF6 is just average

All Final Fantasy games are boring.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

aeris' death in FFVII was good because it meant one less person I had to leave out of my main party.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
you could tell aeris was gonna die because she was the only party member that couldn't be a good front line attacker

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Every game is the worst game in the series

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
harmony of the spheres only has 3 good songs on it

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

The GBA SP's design was seriously ugly and they should have just put a backlight on the originals.

Almost none of the visual design from that era has aged well, even the box art for GBA and Gamecube games are pretty ugly.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Feb 19, 2018

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I actually kind of liked the lack of a backlight on the original GBAs (plus the Game Boy and GBC) because it was nice to sit out in the sun with them (even if I did get sunburn one time). Backlit displays are pretty bad in sunlight.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Paul.Power posted:

I actually kind of liked the lack of a backlight on the original GBAs (plus the Game Boy and GBC) because it was nice to sit out in the sun with them (even if I did get sunburn one time). Backlit displays are pretty bad in sunlight.

It should have been there, but you should have just been able to switch it off.

The SP just looked like a cheap flip phone, the original GBA was nice and wide and felt like a proper device, it had fun colors and I liked the shape of the shoulder buttons and overall design. The SP made everything cramped and narrow, the whole thing just looks more Motorola than Nintendo.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fallout 4 is probably a good game but it appeals to a different crowd than the older fallouts. If I was younger when it came out and had more free time I would have probably sunk hundreds of hours into base building in it.

Fallout 2 is worse than Fallout 1 and all of New Reno and San Fransisco should have been excised.

The Pokemon games lost a ton of charm when they transitioned to 3d.

The entire Mario franchise is held up on nostalgia, none of the games have ever been that good.

Neither of the two new Wolfenstein games were actually good.

The Saboteur is one of the best games from the last generation and is criminally underrated.

The Dualshock 3 was a better than the Xbox 360 controller.

MGSV had a good and satisfying ending.

The amount of hate that Bioshock gets online is disproportionate to it's flaws.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Gaius Marius posted:

The Pokemon games lost a ton of charm when they transitioned to 3d.

The amount of hate that Bioshock gets online is disproportionate to it's flaws.

I definitely agree with these two. But tbf to Pokemon it has a decent 3D style, I thought it would look even uglier on 3D. Maybe the switch version will look better.

Bioshock's combat imo is always underrated. The powers and weapons have so many different combos. Like freezing someone then breaking them with a shotgun or the easy lightning power in water areas. There is one power where you literally control a horde of angry bees. Online was hectic but pretty fun. I believe there was a small dedicated community for Bioshock 2 on xbox 360.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Gaius Marius posted:

The entire Mario franchise is held up on nostalgia, none of the games have ever been that good.

:stonk:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Severely Cursed

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Ulio posted:

Bioshock's combat imo is always underrated. The powers and weapons have so many different combos. Like freezing someone then breaking them with a shotgun or the easy lightning power in water areas. There is one power where you literally control a horde of angry bees. Online was hectic but pretty fun. I believe there was a small dedicated community for Bioshock 2 on xbox 360.

Bioshock 1's combat has the same problem a lot of 0451 games do where it largely works fine for ambush tactics, but drawn out slugging matches are a mess. The starting revolver is insanely good throughout the entire game if you don't ignore all the various ways of pumping its damage and land headshots. I think a lot of its reputation for "mushy" or bulletsponge-y combat comes from the tommy gun being incredibly mediocre until you get the upgrades for it. (Either that or it's those weirdos who play everything on hard and then complain that enemies have too much health.) It can still certainly be clunky in spots, but that's not really out of line with its predecessors or even a fair few of its successors either.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the machine gun also combos poorly with electrobolt, since IIRC it gives a multiplier to the next incoming hit on a stunned enemy so a single dinky MG bullet will waste it while an amped up revolver headshot or shotgun blast or, of course, wrench strike will lay most basic splicers out.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 1, 2018

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Ulio posted:

That's my feelings too, it lost a lot of the things that made System shock 2 and the like good, but it had much more satisfying combat and more interesting power combos to make up for it. It's a strong contrast to the new Prey which leans more to the exploration and has worse combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Bioshock felt unbearably mushy and the way certain combos did more damage to some enemies, but less to nearly identical, but differently armed enemies made no sense at all. I also just don't like combos in an FPS, i want to be rewarded for my good aim and flanking and stuff, not remembering which weapon does more damage on a certain enemy. The game is also really ugly and looks like it's made of mucous.

What annoys me most about the game though is how it really labors to be this satire of Ayn Rand libertarianism like an Orwell novel but like.. Libertarianism is so patently retarded that even doing that kind of satire is already giving it more credit than it deserves, the city in the game is not really believable because it looks like it at least functioned at some point in the past but collapsed after a while whereas the kind of society described in the intro would not even come off the ground in the first place. Then it kind of weasels in this character of an evil union leader too. It just doesn't work and isn't really as clever as it thinks it is.

I basically like the aesthetic, it tries to be a bit like the Shining but maybe it should have just been "here you have a haunted underwater city from the gilded age, now go kill monsters" without the silly story.

Shibawanko fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 1, 2018

• Locked thread