Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

On occasion, people find themselves holding ideas about video games that are, to be blunt, massively different from the norm. This is the thread to post them, talk about them, and then defend them when everyone else inevitably jumps on you for it.

I'll start off with a few.

1) Crash Bandicoot 1 is the best Crash game.
2) Dark Souls 2 is the best Dark Souls; DS3 is the worst.
3) Mass Effect 3 is the best Mass Effect.
4) Zelda II loving rules!
5) FF8 is better than FF6.

Post yours! It's fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Video games are fun.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Video games are fun.

:stonk:

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
dota and associated mobas are for the emotionally and socially stunted

Runescape and Maplestory arent actually that bad and the latter is now a lot of fun to play with friends!

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It's probably fine for the RTS genre to die.

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

:same:

Alright, wanna hear some hosed up poo poo?

-Resident Evil 6 is better than Resident Evil 5. Code Veronica is the best of the classic series.

-Wonderful 101 is severely overrated by people who were starved for Wii U games imo.

-Max Payne 3 is a god drat masterpiece.

-Mario Galaxy 1 was better than Mario Galaxy 2.

-Street Fighter V is good and I enjoy playing it very much.

-Sonic 4 was pretty alright and I'm sad we never got Episode 3.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

PUBG runs like garbage and is infact not the funniest thing to ever exist.

Demon Souls is the best fromsoft game.

The last good game by Bethesda was Morrowind.

Keru
Aug 2, 2004

'n suddenly there was a terrible roar all around us 'n the sky was full of what looked like 'uge bats, all swooping 'n screeching 'n divin' around the ute.

Grapplejack posted:

3a) Mass Effect 2 is the worst game in the series.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

buglord posted:

dota and associated mobas are for the emotionally and socially stunted

Ulio posted:

PUBG runs like garbage

The last good game by Bethesda was Morrowind.

I thought this was a thread for unpopular opinions.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

Keru posted:

3a) Mass Effect 2 is the worst game in the series.

mods

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

The minigun should be called the biggun because its not mini.

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe
Rocket Jockey needs a fuckin remake

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FAhnNplMSA

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Chakan: The Forever Man is the original 2D Dark Souls game and really needs a new installment.

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal
Avatar and Pacific Rim are both terrible movies.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Andromeda is better than me3, me1, and inquisition

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

precision posted:

Andromeda is better than me3, me1, and inquisition

I mean I liked it, but yikes

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
Dark Souls is a bad game series that only achieved the level of success it has by becoming a meme about being difficult.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Fire Emblem is Nintendo's best IP.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Bowser is the biological father of all the koopa kids and a real deadbeat dad.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
Alpha Protocol is terrible.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
The last great game Naughty Dog made was Crash Team Racing.
Okami is the best Zelda game
Silent Hill Origins is a decent game, Shattered Memories is of a similar quality to the original trilogy just in its own way, and 4 is a slog and is the worst mainline game.
The N64 was a bad console, unlike the Game Cube which was great.
Doom 1 is better than Doom 2
The first two Fallouts have both aged like poo poo mechanically and I'd rather play 3 again over them. (New Vegas is still the best entry by a mile though)
Hotline Miami 2 sucked
Transistor felt like a bad knockoff of Bastion with no understanding of why the game was so great.
Super Paper Mario is a real good game just for its writing alone.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 09:23 on Jan 8, 2018

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Taro Yoko isn't nearly as good of a writer as goons think he is.

Accordion Man posted:

Super Paper Mario is a real good game just for its writing alone.

I hear this all the time and it drives me crazy.

The writing in that game was awful. It took itself way too seriously for a Mario game and was cliched as hell in the process.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jan 8, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Givin posted:

A very provocative statement for all 10 people who have played Alpha Protocol.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gaming peaked with Vib Ribbon.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

Accordion Man posted:

The first two Fallouts have both aged like poo poo mechanically and I'd rather play 3 again over them. (New Vegas is still the best entry by a mile though)

Seconded and corollary: The "New Vegas is the only real Fallout game and Bethesda is dogshit" crowd is as tiring now as the "Fallout is ruined if it's not isometric and everything is terrible forever" No Mutants Allowed crowd was before 3 came out.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
New Vegas had great writing but its exploration was poo poo. Bethesda get a lot of crap but they know how to design worlds that are big, open, and fun to explore. I kept running into invisible walls in New Vegas and it was really disappointing.

In an ideal world you'd get a world designed by Bethesda and a game written by Obsidian. Or Bethesda could just shell out some money for writers worth a drat.

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord

Internet Kraken posted:

The writing in that game was awful. It took itself way too seriously for a Mario game and was cliched as hell in the process.
The game really didn't take itself that seriously though even if it was more serious then the Mario norm because it was still quite funny. The game had fun writing with the most likable villain cast in the series.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Accordion Man posted:

The game really didn't take itself that seriously though even if it was more serious then the Mario norm because it was still quite funny. The game had fun writing with the most likable villain cast in the series.

It absolutely took itself too seriously with its sappy story with garbage villains (everyone other than Dimentio sucks). Every scene that focused on the stupid butterfly was awful. Also trying to get you to care about leaving behind your party in the last chapter was pathethic; you knew they were going to come right back so who careeeeeeees. It has some good comedy moments but it also has much more drama than the other Paper Mario games which just didn't work for me at all. I haven't played it since I was a kid but I doubt I'd appreciate it more now. Probably would like it even less.

Here's an actual controversial opinion though; the gameplay in the first two Paper Mario games is so basic and boring that Super Paper Mario actually has the best gameplay.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the claw is the only good monster hunter control scheme

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(
Stars! was overall the best 4x game mechanically and struck the most desireable balance between granularity and playability.

Mario Sunshine was one of the best mario games, but probably isn't one of the top 3.

RTS-FPS is a hella rad genre and would be even more fun if it wasn't always murdered by its own toxic communities (eg, Natural Selection, Empires mod).

Internet Kraken posted:

It absolutely took itself too seriously with its sappy story with garbage villains (everyone other than Dimentio sucks). Every scene that focused on the stupid butterfly was awful. Also trying to get you to care about leaving behind your party in the last chapter was pathethic; you knew they were going to come right back so who careeeeeeees. It has some good comedy moments but it also has much more drama than the other Paper Mario games which just didn't work for me at all. I haven't played it since I was a kid but I doubt I'd appreciate it more now. Probably would like it even less.

Here's an actual controversial opinion though; the gameplay in the first two Paper Mario games is so basic and boring that Super Paper Mario actually has the best gameplay.

Kind of on the fence here; Super Paper Mario did, in fact, take itself way too goddamned seriously, but I found that to be immensely enjoyable. Gameplay-wise, about on par with TTYD in my mind.

Actually, you know what, followup weird opinion: The times that the Mario games take themselves way too seriously are objectively triumphs of unintentionally hilarious writing, but are still pretty engaging and I kind of wish they'd do more of it (TTYD, Super Paper Mario, the Storybook segments from Galaxy 1).

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
The writing in The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite is pretentious garbage that people only say is "deep" because they've never read an actual book.

Bioware has never made a good game.

The only good games Platinum has made are Metal Gear Rising and Vanquish. (Not counting Clover as Platinum).

Vakal posted:

Chakan: The Forever Man is the original 2D Dark Souls game and really needs a new installment.
That's the game that gave you one chance to beat the final boss or you had to restart, and the ending was just an hourglass that emptied and said "not the end", right?

Internet Kraken posted:

Taro Yoko isn't nearly as good of a writer as goons think he is.

I hear this all the time and it drives me crazy.

:agreed:

Cuntellectual fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Jan 8, 2018

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Invisible War may be the best Deus Ex game. I haven't played Mankind Divided, and on different days I could probably put Human Revolution in top spot, but I've played Invisible War several times and will continue to replay it in the future - I'm playing it now, actually, nearly finished. It's a long way from perfect but it's really fun.

And the original Deus Ex is the worst by far. If you think Invisible War is flawed... the first Deus Ex is more flaw than game.

Givin posted:

Objectively true. You can appreciate what they were trying to achieve; there are great things about it; but the core gameplay is just awful. It's similar to Deus Ex that way.

Accordion Man posted:

Doom 1 is better than Doom 2
Also true. Doom 2 is just more of the same, goes on too long, and isn't as well designed. Most of the new stuff they added is cool, but the first game is still the one I go back to any time I feel like playing Doom, because it's just a better overall experience.

Cuntellectual posted:

The writing in The Last of Us and Bioshock Infinite is pretentious garbage that people only say is "deep" because they've never read an actual book.
The same is true of every video game. Video games are an artform that can do things that books and movies can't, but books and movies can do things that video games can't too, and that doesn't make any of them better or worse, just different. If you're trying to defend video games by making direct comparisons to other types of art/media then you've already lost because when you judge a game by the standards of a book it's going to look like poo poo.

Cuntellectual posted:

Chakan is the game that gave you one chance to beat the final boss or you had to restart, and the ending was just an hourglass that emptied and said "not the end", right?
I never got that far, but that sounds like it would be right. You were this guy who'd beaten death so you couldn't die, but it turned out to be a curse and you had to eradicate all evil before you'd be allowed to die. It was pretty cool.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I for one am shocked by how this thread has already gone.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Rockstar ruined max payne 3 by getting rid of the "noir" part and putting the entire setting in gibberishville, south america.

Also three kinds of secret police

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I never got that far, but that sounds like it would be right. You were this guy who'd beaten death so you couldn't die, but it turned out to be a curse and you had to eradicate all evil before you'd be allowed to die. It was pretty cool.

Yeah, Death shows up and points out there's an infinite number of stars in the sky and evil was far from vanquished. Then you get one shot at a giger styled biomechanical alien boss.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

JRPGs are boring and tedious with terrible UI. The simple act of hitting an enemy with a sword in combat usually requires way too much needless clicking and menu diving. They seem to absolutely love ridiculous amounts of menus and submenus to do anything at all.

Games designed around controllers would have been better with a proper mouse and keyboard setup like god intended purely by having a real UI.

Settlers 2 10th Anniversary Edition was poo poo. Somehow less fun than the original with awful floaty graphics that were worse and with less detail than the original from freaking 1996!

Wolfenstein 3D was boring and unfun with all of its bland mazes full of identical rooms and corridors even when it first came out.

:v:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.
Sleeping Dogs is massively overrated (at least on this forum) and at best mediocre.

Brutal Legend's stage battles gameplay is legitimately good, fun and deeper than is generally acknowledged. Its biggest flaw is the obfuscation of the deeper mechanics (in particular each unit's strengths and weaknesses) and lack of feedback ("is what I'm doing actually working?"), yet that simultaneously serves as its biggest strength in causing each battle to feel like utter, random chaos.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Poil posted:

Wolfenstein 3D was boring and unfun with all of its bland mazes full of identical rooms and corridors even when it first came out.
Wolf3D was fun, but the shareware version was enough. Nine levels is about what it takes to get bored with it, and five more episodes was far too many, let alone all the extra levels in Spear of Destiny

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i dont think having an unpopular opinion makes me smarter or better than other people. thats my unpopular video game opinion

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Glare Seethe posted:

Brutal Legend's stage battles gameplay is legitimately good, fun and deeper than is generally acknowledged. Its biggest flaw is the obfuscation of the deeper mechanics (in particular each unit's strengths and weaknesses) and lack of feedback ("is what I'm doing actually working?"), yet that simultaneously serves as its biggest strength in causing each battle to feel like utter, random chaos.

I actually agree with this; I thought BL would have been better if they focused more on the RTS stuff and less on the bad knockoff arpg gameplay.

• Locked thread