Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dans Macabre
Apr 24, 2004

carry on then posted:

it’s honestly quite telling of some people that they think anyone who doesn’t despise their coworkers and snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

on a different topic, how common is international work for full remote positions these days? some positions explicitly mention that they're hiring from anywhere, or a given set of countries, but i'm gonna assume that if there's no mention of it, there's no choice but to be in the us (or wherever)? it's kind of pissing me off that nvidia has a bunch of what they say are full remote positions that are pretty much exactly in my wheelhouse, but they're all in the us whereas i'm in canada where they have jack poo poo. oh ATI, how i miss thee... wait gently caress does amd still do stuff in this frozen hellhole? i didn't even think of checking. gonna do that later

I've seen a decent number of US companies hire for remote roles internationally as long as you can commit to an overlap in work hours with US timezones. I think international labor is certainly easier for a company like NVIDIA to navigate than a small startup or something, but PEOs with international reach like Rippling etc are making that less of an issue these days

anyone have recommended resources for cover letters these days? starting to look around myself and the recommendations I've found for tech interview / resume resources (like techinterviewhandbook.org) have been pretty bad for cover letters

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 4, 2024

cheese eats mouse
Jul 6, 2007

A real Portlander now
so tried to get back with old company, but they really don’t want to bring me in lower and also were hoping for a more junior person cause the design team is so top heavy there’s no one to mentor, which has always been a problem with that company so good luck to them I guess. I did get told if anything senior opens up then I am definitely a want to hire for them so that’s good to hear it was never performance I was let go.

I applied for some non career jobs like doing arts in the park with kiddos as a part time job and have an interview tomorrow, plus a friend knows breweries looking for beertenders.

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

on a different topic, how common is international work for full remote positions these days? some positions explicitly mention that they're hiring from anywhere, or a given set of countries, but i'm gonna assume that if there's no mention of it, there's no choice but to be in the us (or wherever)? it's kind of pissing me off that nvidia has a bunch of what they say are full remote positions that are pretty much exactly in my wheelhouse, but they're all in the us whereas i'm in canada where they have jack poo poo. oh ATI, how i miss thee... wait gently caress does amd still do stuff in this frozen hellhole? i didn't even think of checking. gonna do that later

its very difficult for a company to hire you as an FTE when you're not legally resident in the country they're based in. It'll be easier if the company in question has offices in the country, or if you're hiring on as a contractor and your LLC or whatever has legal status in the country in question.

But for a canadian wanting to work in teh US it should be pretty easy, i thought that was the whole point of NAFTA

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination
We're a 100% remote worldwide startup. We use Rippling + Deel to handle the details of that. But I am pretty sure that everyone outside the US has been hired as a contractor. Not sure we've gone through the hoops to make any of our non-US workforce local employees.

occluded
Oct 31, 2012

Sandals: Become the means to create A JUST SOCIETY

Fun Shoe
Company told me I had really impressive skills and experience but they won’t be moving me forward after a good second interview, then immediately put the job advert back up. I don’t get this??? you want to hire so you can expand and grow? then why not just hire???

I know I’m taking it personally and this is unskillful, I must simply become a zen seed on the wind and apply more, but… my partner pointed out there are firms that will look like they are hiring to placate employees who are having to work too hard, but will never actually take anyone on to save costs, and that idea makes my very small spectrum brain get all upset.

forum enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010

occluded posted:

Company told me I had really impressive skills and experience but they won’t be moving me forward after a good second interview, then immediately put the job advert back up. I don’t get this??? you want to hire so you can expand and grow? then why not just hire???

I know I’m taking it personally and this is unskillful, I must simply become a zen seed on the wind and apply more, but… my partner pointed out there are firms that will look like they are hiring to placate employees who are having to work too hard, but will never actually take anyone on to save costs, and that idea makes my very small spectrum brain get all upset.

there are essentially innumerable reasons why a company would choose not to hire a candidate, and only a small portion of those have anything to do with the candidate themselves. they are also unlikely to disclose anything about internal feedback or processes to you, so as you said it would be best to simply move on and look to other opportunities.

on the bright side, an amicable rejection with some kind words could mean the pipeline is still open to you in the future should other fitting roles open up.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've been in a situation where a candidate was too senior for the position we needed to fill and management chose to pass on them due to the risk of them leaving for a more appropriate position.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

occluded posted:

listen to the no, not the reason

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

occluded posted:

theres a million reasons this can happen and most of them have nothing to do with you. Lots of them are someone wants to hire a friend and has to make a show of interviewing lots of people that will magically be found to not meet their needs.

Its hard not to take personally but a lot of the time it has absolutely zero% to do with you.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

best not to stew on it.

I've seen people be declined because of a "culture fit" and it turns out the culture was toxic and what they really thought was that you don't seem like the type to do what needs to be done, e.g. work 60hr weeks during the nicest parts of the year

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

occluded posted:

then immediately put the job advert back up

Something like this was the one time that got me kinda mad about getting template letter rejection after interview.

I interviewed on Monday and was supposed to get feedback next week. Instead I got a "sorry we are taking so long, something came up, blah blah" email a week late. Whatever, poo poo happens, it is not like I wasn't interviewing elsewhere during the time :v: Anyway, another week later I got the usual "blah blah, you were a great candidate but we picked a better fit" template rejection. What made me mad was when the same evening, LinkedIn sent me email about open job opportunities ... with the same job description opened up again.

Bitch, at least spend 30 seconds picking the right template. (As I found out through an acquaintance working there later, I was asking for good 40% more than they were willing to pay, and I was open about that being less than I would normally ask because I thought it would be interesting pivot)

Quackles
Aug 11, 2018

Pixels of Light.

Xarn posted:

(As I found out through an acquaintance working there later, I was asking for good 40% more than they were willing to pay, and I was open about that being less than I would normally ask because I thought it would be interesting pivot)

apply again with a big grin on your face and ask for the same amount :v:

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
i dont actually want to leave my current job atm, but can see myself leaving later this year at some point. i am completely out of interviewing shape, haven't done one in 4 years. im going through system design books, grinding leetcodes, etc but i figure there's no practice like the real thing. is it a bad idea to apply to jobs i dont actually want just for interview practice, am i going to end up triggering a tripwire in some data thing somewhere that sends my company's HR a big red notification that i'm job shopping.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

the only time I've heard of that being a problem is through linkedin's "open to recruiters" flag

Fart Sandwiches
Apr 4, 2006

i never asked for this
i started this job Feb 1 and i guess they like me because I’ve been on an interview panel with 8 candidates over the last two days. it’s for a junior red team spot and it SUCKS because all the candidates are so strong and i like them all for different reasons. for those of you frustrated with the job hunt just know you are amazing and a good fit but it’s only one spot :smith:

Rudest Buddhist
May 26, 2005

You only lose what you cling to, bitch.
Fun Shoe

Fart Sandwiches posted:

i started this job Feb 1 and i guess they like me because I’ve been on an interview panel with 8 candidates over the last two days. it’s for a junior red team spot and it SUCKS because all the candidates are so strong and i like them all for different reasons. for those of you frustrated with the job hunt just know you are amazing and a good fit but it’s only one spot :smith:

Hell Yeah this makes me feel better. No sarcasm, it validates my brain.

Glorgnole
Oct 23, 2012

does anyone have recommended reading about interpreting offers from startups which include equity?

i found some good discussion upthread about this starting here.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

If the equity is in the form of options, take a careful look at the conditions on expiry. I've had 3 offers with options now, and all 3 had a clause that options expire 90 days after leaving the company, whether or not it is your choice.

That means if if your options are not in the money OR if your equity is not publicly traded, they either become worthless or you need to pay the strike price out of pocket in order to keep your vested equity (and pray for an exit).

For this reason, I value options at $0.

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

the discussions around AMT after the post you linked are definitely worth paying attention to

I've never had a startup say yes to "may I please see the cap table?" in offer negotiations. without that info you don't know where you stand currently and without a crystal ball you don't know what your dilution will look like in future rounds or an exit

I think I agree with bob upthread saying that valuing them at zero is wrong, but after you compensate for dilution risk and the risk it all goes tits up it probably won't be far above 0

in conclusion, negotiate as hard as you can for cash comp. if they throw more equity your way as part of that, great, whatever, yahtzee

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

Glorgnole posted:

does anyone have recommended reading about interpreting offers from startups which include equity?

Asleep Style posted:

great, whatever, yahtzee

unless you're talking about a very early stage startup, thats pretty much the long & short of it

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Mantle posted:

If the equity is in the form of options, take a careful look at the conditions on expiry. I've had 3 offers with options now, and all 3 had a clause that options expire 90 days after leaving the company, whether or not it is your choice.

That means if if your options are not in the money OR if your equity is not publicly traded, they either become worthless or you need to pay the strike price out of pocket in order to keep your vested equity (and pray for an exit).

For this reason, I value options at $0.

100%. Startups are banking on the idea that you value them highly so that they can pay you less. But because options expire 90 days after leaving (never seen any that don't) they are almost always worthless. You can choose to take a very risky gamble and buy them anyway with no exit in sight, but that is almost always negative expected value. And the simple fact of the matter is that almost no one has a tenure that stretches from when option grants contain a lot (early days) to when an exit happens. Most people leave or are laid off before then. And, even if you get an exit, because investors have preferred shares, you might not get anything anyway. I very much value options at $0 these days after having (through ignorance) highly valued them at my first startup job.

CompeAnansi fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Apr 18, 2024

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
there's ones that expire 99 years after, there's ones that expire 7 days after. huge fuckin spread

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

bob dobbs is dead posted:

there's ones that expire 99 years after, there's ones that expire 7 days after. huge fuckin spread

Yeah if the expiry is longer than a couple years, then I could see valuing them at > $0. But only in that case if its early stage. If it's a late stage (series D or later) profitable company, then I could definitely see valuing them at > $0 just because you're likely closer to an exit, but you're also getting very few shares, comparatively.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

might be worth asking if there are any plans for or history of secondary liquidity. some startups are realizing the whole "monopoly money" aspect is a turnoff for people and are trying to mitigate it with tender offers or other ways to get (relatively small) money out of the company before they exit officially

some of these liquidity methods also let you exercise with the sale, so you exercise and then sell as part of the same transaction. you get taxed more since it's short-term capital gains but that's much less risky than having to front a potentially prohibitive amount of money to exercise up front

in terms of startup grants; the ratios for employees are really hosed in general compared to founder shares since many VC-backed companies tend to allocate from a much smaller employee pool of 10-20% of common shares outstanding. assuming you aren't an executive, you might expect up to 2% as employee 1-10, 0.05-0.5% as employee 10-100, and grants enumerated in dollars beyond that since presumably they're large enough to have a reasonable history of 409a valuations. companies tend to refresh the employee pool when they raise money so you might get grant refreshers or secondary liquidity offerings to sweeten the deal if the company is able to get more investment

corona familiar fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Apr 18, 2024

Asleep Style
Oct 20, 2010

corona familiar posted:

some of these liquidity methods also let you exercise with the sale, so you exercise and then sell as part of the same transaction. you get taxed more since it's short-term capital gains but that's much less risky than having to front a potentially prohibitive amount of money to exercise up front

it's worth pointing out that this means you aren't subject to AMT. depending on FMV and strike price you may face a lower tax burden paying short term capital gains than you would by exercising, paying AMT, and then paying long term capital gains after holding for a year+ before selling

Mantle
May 15, 2004

I don't even understand the rationale behind making the options worthless by having a 90 day expiry, from the perspective of the company. If employees KNOW that the options are worthless, then they aren't a motivator so why go through the admin overhead of offering them at all?

I could see a 90 day expiry if the employee chooses to leave early, but having the options expire when the employee is terminated makes them super worthless because the employee loses control.

I raised this publicly in our team Slack and the general counsel straight up said "We want to reward those that stick around until the end" as if those people that arbitrarily lasted until exit were the only ones that should be rewarded. It feels like companies are just preying on a financial literacy gap.

e: I believe offering worthless options as a motivator actually has the opposite effect on financially literate people. It demotivates them because they see it as disrespectful to offer hollow gestures.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Apr 18, 2024

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

Mantle posted:

It feels like companies are just preying on a financial literacy gap.

They are

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Mantle posted:

I don't even understand the rationale behind making the options worthless by having a 90 day expiry, from the perspective of the company. If employees KNOW that the options are worthless, then they aren't a motivator so why go through the admin overhead of offering them at all?

I could see a 90 day expiry if the employee chooses to leave early, but having the options expire when the employee is terminated makes them super worthless because the employee loses control.

I raised this publicly in our team Slack and the general counsel straight up said "We want to reward those that stick around until the end" as if those people that arbitrarily lasted until exit were the only ones that should be rewarded. It feels like companies are just preying on a financial literacy gap.

e: I believe offering worthless options as a motivator actually has the opposite effect on financially literate people. It demotivates them because they see it as disrespectful to offer hollow gestures.

yes the people that stick around are who the options are for. golden handcuffing with lottery tickets is the entire point of options. employees can see it however they choose, but to see it as disrespectful because it doesn’t work the same as cash comp is sorta silly imo

pretty good advice itt wrt options so far. I think I’ve posted some minutiae about them at times

the options going back into the pool means there’s more for peeps who stick around like the 23 yo CEO and his college roommate

CarForumPoster fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Apr 19, 2024

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs

Glorgnole posted:

i found some good discussion upthread about this starting here.

I was the poster who asked that and i still think valuing the equity at close to 0 is generally a good strategy assuming an earlier stage startup that isnt flush with cash.

a lot of the advice i ended up reading, including in this thread, tended to rely on the assumption that the startup itself would continue existing but realistically startups generally fail and in that scenario the equity is worth 0 and if you exercised any of the options you have lost money. you face a lot of the same considerations VCs do where a small percentage of startups make up the bulk of returns but you dont have the benefit of investing in numerous startups by working for them across a lifetime

also, something ive thought about but that isnt given in advice is that once youve worked at a startup for a period of time and essentially have inside information, you should make a decision to stay or quit. during the interview and offer phase, your knowledge about the company is rather low so accepting equity has a large unknown factor but once you join, you should have a much better idea of how its doing and thus better able to identity if its a startup thats going to succeed and pay out bigly (enough to make up for the pay being replaced with equity + extra to cover the risk you took by accepting equity) or fail. realistically, startups should have insanely high churn if most are going to fail and workers are able to determine with a high likelihood within, say, 1 month of working there on the likely outcome. but i guess workers arent exactly rational financial actors?

like ive worked at my current place for 6 months but i was basically considering leaving starting a few months ago because i had identified it was very likely to fail and thus exercising my options has negative EV so i am losing money by continuing to work while being paid in in these options (well, future pay in options given vesting but close enough)

this feels like something matt levine would write about lol, i feel like Kelly criterion factors into this somehow

anyway dont work for startups

koolkal fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 19, 2024

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

startups can be a great kickstart to your career cause its usually easy to be promoted. Going from “3 years out of college” to “VP of Engineering” in 2 years is really only possible in startups.

they absolutely have their downsides but

CompeAnansi
Feb 1, 2011

I respectfully decline
the invitation to join
your hallucination

rotor posted:

startups can be a great kickstart to your career cause its usually easy to be promoted. Going from “3 years out of college” to “VP of Engineering” in 2 years is really only possible in startups.

they absolutely have their downsides but

You often also get flexibility on exactly what you're doing and get to try out a lot of different stuff. So if you're not completely certain what you want to do regarding, e.g., front end or back end or data, many startups will give you the flexibility to do different things simply because those things need doing and they do not have the headcount to have a specialist available for every task yet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

The flipside of that is once you get a better sense of what you're interested in you may still have to do all the other parts.