Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

champagne posting posted:

"tell me about a time you had a conflict with a coworker" comes up every interview

I don’t know what they want out of these.
“once we hired this guy who totally sucked so I kicked his rear end and put him in his place”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I mean usually it’s just “I didn’t like the way a coworker did something so I asked for a change in the pr and he made it”

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
"can you handle a workplace conflict without getting into a fistfight" is the literal softball of behavioural questions, lmao

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

Jabor posted:

"can you handle a workplace conflict without getting into a fistfight" is the literal softball of behavioural questions, lmao

my first professional office job out of college had a near fist fight break out between two of my coworkers in a workplace disagreement lol

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

akadajet posted:

I mean usually it’s just “I didn’t like the way a coworker did something so I asked for a change in the pr and he made it”

This has been my usual answer. I didn't even ask for a change; I asked why my coworker did things one way instead of another. Apparently we'd previously discussed it and I forgot, because they got mad and went, "We talked about this. Fine, I'll do it the other way!" and I was horrified. The story has an unsatisfying conclusion, because all I did was ask my boss to step in and verify that I hadn't done something wrong, lol

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

I don’t get paid enough to fist fight my coworkers

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

we were moving to another part of the office once and a coworker wanted to block off our area by moving whiteboard around. it was blocking other people from getting to their areas so I moved the whiteboard back. the coworker got really angry at me for doing that and said “you don’t want to be in my poo poo list”. I laughed and said “nah man, you don’t want to be on mine” jokingly. he got put on a pip like a week later and was let go because he wasn’t completing his work

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
Last time I was asked that I said I’m sorry I don’t have any examples, I treat other people like human beings and don’t take my job seriously enough to have conflicts worth remembering. I got an offer :shrug:

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

"I think if there’s one thing we can all agree on it’s that Penn State and Michigan both suck and are garbage and it’s hilarious Michigan fans are freaking out thinking this is their natty window when they can’t even beat a B12 team in the playoffs lmao"
However I once got promoted a year or two ahead of schedule because my boss shoved someone else after they got into a screaming match after insulting one another and they both got fired lol

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I had an abusive boss who would regularly shout at me and threaten my immigration status. I responded calmly and firmly and made my boundaries clear.

Probably not an ideal example to bring up in an interview though.

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
"i am dispassionate towards all things, for agony is made of desire"

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

2 Jobs ago we had an abusive boss and my team got together and bullied him enough into quitting

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

he tried to con our immigrant teammate out of a WWDC ticket she won the lottery for and bought with her own money. He was trying to get her to give it to his friend on another team and my whole team wouldn't drop it and told so many people he was a huge piece of poo poo at every opportunity that he quit without notice

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Quackles posted:

Even so, this particular case feels like more BS than usual.

yes but Amazon pays more than usual

I mean, there may be better options in the valley but compared to non figgie land total comp numbers

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PokeJoe posted:

2 Jobs ago we had an abusive boss and my team got together and bullied him enough into quitting

dudes rock

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
a big part of that extra amazon premium was paid in the form of stock with a vesting period and well, lol

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

i spent like 20 minutes in the hotel going over amazons leadership principles so that i knew them well enough to connect stories to them. it was a super easy hoop to jump through and it's really funny that y'all are acting like it's difficult. strong how vibes

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
if amazon asked you to walk around the conference room on all fours and bark like a dog would you do it?

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

love to know im unhireable because ive never directly fought with a coworker so i don’t have a good enough story to connect to whatever leadership principle it is you need to fight with coworkers in order to understand

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Sapozhnik posted:

if amazon asked you to walk around the conference room on all fours and bark like a dog would you do it?

I would get on all fours and back out of the room while meowing like a cat, OP

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

i'm sorry that you ate the biggest pushover ever

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

I've never interviewed with amazon, but taking 30 minutes to review the values because it's going to be part of the interview doesnt sounds any different to me than practicing algorithms because there's going to be a whiteboard

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

it's different because every company whiteboards so the skills are transferrable. the "pillars" or whatever are just singlar company corporate propaganda you have to swallow

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Sapozhnik posted:

sounds like a good deal - usually you have pay for that

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Sapozhnik posted:

yeah those are the same thing, you're right. that wasn't a stupid thing to say at all.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

PokeJoe posted:

it's different because every company whiteboards so the skills are transferrable. the "pillars" or whatever are just singlar company corporate propaganda you have to swallow

they’re really not though. you only have to memorize them if you’re “gaming the system”. otherwise it’s actually very generic business stuff being looked at in any interview. for engineering its learn stuff, do your job, own your work.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

The Fool posted:

i'm sorry that you ate the biggest pushover ever

go gently caress yourself, smug shithead. that count as enough of a fight for you?

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

connecting my posting pals fights to leadership principles.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

it’s honestly quite telling of some people that they think anyone who doesn’t despise their coworkers and snipe at them constantly must be a passive doormat because they can’t envision actually getting along with people and having discussions instead of conflicts

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

work is not the place for your authentic self. put on your worksona, get paid.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

carry on then posted:

love to know im unhireable because ive never directly fought with a coworker so i don’t have a good enough story to connect to whatever leadership principle it is you need to fight with coworkers in order to understand

a “fight” can be:
“we should x this way”
“wouldn’t y way be simpler/faster/cheaper?”
“well, that doesn’t address foo”
“actually it does if you use bar”
“oh ok”

just sell it.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

carry on then posted:

go gently caress yourself, smug shithead. that count as enough of a fight for you?

good, now you have a story

carry on then posted:

it’s honestly quite telling of some people that they think anyone who doesn’t despise their coworkers and snipe at them constantly must be a passive doormat because they can’t envision actually getting along with people and having discussions instead of conflicts

you can have conflict without hating someone

I genuinely like everyone on my team, but does that mean we agree on everything?

it's quite telling that you think the only possible scenarios for that question involve toxicity

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’d be more concerned about a team where they claim that nobody ever disagrees

one of my standard interview questions is what happens when things don’t go to plan?

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

most “fights” in corporate environments involve the inevitable gear grinding that comes from dumb politics between managers/vps over whatever buzzword of the day they heard in a meeting with their executives and 99% of the time the best move is to just not engage and let the morons tire themselves out like the toddlers they are

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

hobbesmaster posted:

they’re really not though. you only have to memorize them if you’re “gaming the system”. otherwise it’s actually very generic business stuff being looked at in any interview. for engineering its learn stuff, do your job, own your work.

they're just problem sets from data structures classes, you don't have to memorize them. Most follow basic algorithmic patterns that are just solved by putting the problem in the correct structure. Also learning the big O run time of stuff is not an entirely useless skill

This isn't to defend whiteboarding in general, it sucks. But it's better than learning pillars

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

behavioral questions exist in every interview I've ever had, its common practice to have an inventory of anecdotes to use to answer them, connecting them to "the pillars" doesn't feel like a huge stretch

i am a moron
Nov 12, 2020

The Fool posted:

good, now you have a story

you can have conflict without hating someone

I genuinely like everyone on my team, but does that mean we agree on everything?

it's quite telling that you think the only possible scenarios for that question involve toxicity

When I was asked about conflict I specifically asked whether they meant some kind of normal workplace disagreement about approaches, solutions, whatever or interpersonal. They told me interpersonal so I answered honestly, it’s not like I like everyone I work with but I don’t poo poo where I eat and I don’t get invested enough to have anything but boring interactions with people I work with.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Again though, it's extra work that can't be applied to other interviews. Coming up with a story about a conflict will be useful to you everywhere but trying to relate that to "customer obsession" or some made up bullshit is asinine

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

You can just get a job somewhere else that doesn't do that. That's what I mean by filtering for employees who ask for seconds of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

"spend twenty minutes looking at a list before an interview" = "ask for a second helping of poo poo"

jesus christ