Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.

Nessa posted:

I know I've got some Common Plantain that grows in my backyard. I wonder what this book says about it.

I'm also wondering if Creeping Jenny is anything like Creeping Charlie.

Oopsie, one of the corners got bent. Oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

EorayMel posted:

Ah, I think I got it now even with the plant subtitle cut off. It fully reads "a cousin to the Shepard's Purse."

Just imagine a knockoff tumbleweed blowing through some guy's shaggy lawn spreading seed, forever.

"There is nothing so innately satisfying as to be able to eat one's enemy."

tempted to see if this gent wrote any other botanical treatises

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Sorry about the lack of updates. Here's creeping jenny. It sounds like it would team up with Sheep Sorrel.

Uncle Sam wants YOU to hoe underneath it!

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

Creeping Jenny, that hussy!

It seems to be similar and possibly related to Creeping Charlie, which I have growing on the side on my house. I never thought to get rid of it because it's not getting in the way of anything and is quite a pretty, little, flowering vine.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Have a double excerpt.
The first is Sweet Clover, which it partially name dropped me in the technical description, and then Wild Bean Vine, where the book fully name dropped itself! Multiple times, at the end of the plant roast, even!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

:clint: Looks like the federal outlaw creeping jenny has an outlaw accomplice! :clint:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

This thread is like a weed: you think you have finally killed it, but then another instance pops up when you least expected it!

And in this case, the cocklebur!

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

I would like to know more about weeds in moist and wet places.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

I would like to know more about weeds in moist and wet places.

I'm terribly sorry for not addressing this earlier! Glad to see there is still some interest in this book.

Here is the page, cropped to show the weeds in question. If nobody else finds one of interest here, I'll pick one at random:

A Pack of Kobolds
Mar 23, 2007

Panic grass? Moneywort? Yellow nut grass? drat, this is a good chapter!

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

A Pack of Kobolds posted:

Panic grass? Moneywort? Yellow nut grass? drat, this is a good chapter!

I already did panic grass. Click here to take a timewarp to this weed: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849318&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2#post481422772

Let's do moneywort. Gotta get the greens :homebrew:

*the caption underneath says: The Moneywort; they say it cures wounded snakes

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

EorayMel posted:

And as a bonus, the common mallow is right after it (and then the flower-of-an-hour I scanned previously). Not like that fake rear end imposter mallow :mad:

I think he has his mallows mixed up because Common Mallow is usually Malva neglecta. And they're good eating! The leaves can substitute for spinach in a salad. The cheese-wheel-looking seeds are high in fat and protein and very mild. It's an insult to lump in with burrs. The writer seems to think "weed" is synonymous with "hardy and not a cash crop" :mad:

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Lacey posted:

I think he has his mallows mixed up because Common Mallow is usually Malva neglecta. And they're good eating! The leaves can substitute for spinach in a salad. The cheese-wheel-looking seeds are high in fat and protein and very mild. It's an insult to lump in with burrs. The writer seems to think "weed" is synonymous with "hardy and not a cash crop" :mad:

By definition, a weed is any plant growing in an undesirable or unwanted place.
Perhaps the author had some property invaded by the mallow and held enough contempt to lump it in with other true to name weeds in this book, like the enemy wild garlic and filthy communist sheep sorrel.

Or maybe the scientific names/classification changed over time :iiam:

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
where is the section on cannabis op?

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

That Robot posted:

There is none. This is a clean weed book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

That Robot posted:

Perhaps you may be thinking of mullein. Not moth mullein, but just plain old mullein, maaaaaaaaan :350:

• Locked thread