Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Already been said, but Galaxy Quest is a pretty good movie. I didn't think Tim Allen was great in it, but he certainly didn't do a bad job with the character.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Christmas With The Kranks is good, but like Jingle All The Way they ruined its reputation because it dared attack the phony consumerism aspects of Christmas

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Ein cooler Typ posted:

Christmas With The Kranks is good, but like Jingle All The Way they ruined its reputation because it dared attack the phony consumerism aspects of Christmas

What the hell is wrong with you?

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Iron Crowned posted:

What the hell is wrong with you?
His dick is small.

SammichBacon
Nov 11, 2013

Galaxy Quest is a treasure op.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

The last Tim Allen movie I watched was Big Trouble, b/c I was into reading Dave Barry books at the time, and that was so bad to be it turned me off both of them for...*checks Wikipedia*, 16 years now.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Catalina posted:

The last Tim Allen movie I watched was Big Trouble, b/c I was into reading Dave Barry books at the time, and that was so bad to be it turned me off both of them for...*checks Wikipedia*, 16 years now.
I think I may be the only person who likes it.

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Dave Barry in Cyberspace is still on my bookshelf like 20 years later, because I have never read a book that better encapsulated the experience of rise of personal computers in the 90's where you spend hours just playing with like Microsoft Word and discovering the Wingdings font.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Catalina posted:

Dave Barry in Cyberspace is still on my bookshelf like 20 years later, because I have never read a book that better encapsulated the experience of rise of personal computers in the 90's where you spend hours just playing with like Microsoft Word and discovering the Wingdings font.
Dave Barry's a really good writer. He doesn't get the credit he deserves. His fiction isn't good (Big Trouble the book is worse than the movie), but all his non-fiction was fantastic for like 20 years.

LGD
Sep 25, 2004

FactsAreUseless posted:

it was a pretty dece, low key little movie, I liked it when I saw it as well

it's not high art, but it's great for watching on netflix when you've got a cold or something

also, I'm assuming people are not counting the Toy Story movies as "Tim Allen" movies because they're animated? otherwise those seem like pretty big successes on his part

Catalina
May 20, 2008

FactsAreUseless posted:

Yeah, hearing that, it makes me think of it as a interesting character quirk rather than an indicator of bad taste. I think we all have one or two movies (or whatever) that we like despite the fact that they're not popularly perceived as "good".

FactsAreUseless posted:

Dave Barry's a really good writer. He doesn't get the credit he deserves. His fiction isn't good (Big Trouble the book is worse than the movie), but all his non-fiction was fantastic for like 20 years.

I actually ended up going to Wikipedia to check what he's wrote since then. I did a hard turn after he went to fiction, but I remember it being true what you said about his non-fiction. I think he gets undervalued because his subject matter and the vocabulary level is written for a broad audience, but it's surprisingly funny and insightful, and fits in serious topics without alienating the audience who is looking to be entertained, like being a anti-Vietnam when he was the age to be drafted, or going bumbling through a trip to Japan and stopping to see a Hiroshima memorial service. Maybe I should check out some of his newer non-fiction stuff. The man is 70 and has a teenage daughter, IIRC, LOL

ScRoTo TuRbOtUrD
Jan 21, 2007

LGD posted:

it was a pretty dece, low key little movie, I liked it when I saw it as well

it's not high art, but it's great for watching on netflix when you've got a cold or something

also, I'm assuming people are not counting the Toy Story movies as "Tim Allen" movies because they're animated? otherwise those seem like pretty big successes on his part

Toy story movies are tom hanks movies, you idiot. You absolute nincompoop.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Catalina posted:

I actually ended up going to Wikipedia to check what he's wrote since then. I did a hard turn after he went to fiction, but I remember it being true what you said about his non-fiction. I think he gets undervalued because his subject matter and the vocabulary level is written for a broad audience, but it's surprisingly funny and insightful, and fits in serious topics without alienating the audience who is looking to be entertained, like being a anti-Vietnam when he was the age to be drafted, or going bumbling through a trip to Japan and stopping to see a Hiroshima memorial service. Maybe I should check out some of his newer non-fiction stuff. The man is 70 and has a teenage daughter, IIRC, LOL
Barry also didn't go for sharp, hard-hitting commentary, but his stuff about Reagan in the 80s has a real edge to it that I appreciate it.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
I consider the first 'The Santa Clause' movie to be a classic.

Galaxy Quest is a classic.

and of course Toy Story is a classic.

get owned by Tim Allen, OP.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

:drat:

MonkeyHate
Oct 11, 2002

Dance, monkey, dance!
Taco Defender
I listened to norm macdonald interview tim and it made me real sad. Real real sad. Like tim is just straight up my racist old uncle who's furious at the world because he's not allowed to say ethnic slurs anymore.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Kak posted:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1824022&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Growing Panes (2007) Jack Muppledot (Tim Allen) is a workaholic New York stock broker and single father whose life changes one day when a birthday presents turns out to contain a mischievious genie who hurtles him through a seemingly unending amount of plate glass.

lmao

Daddy Is My Panties (2007) A single father (Tim Allen) discovers just how out of touch he is with his teenage daughter (Hilary Duff) when an accident with his washing machine transforms him into her underwear.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Ein cooler Typ posted:

I want to respond in earnest to this but its so objectively wrong I feel like doing so would make me look bad.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
boobs

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'll rep for Big Trouble, as I am one of maybe three people on the planet who like it.

Its.... ok

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec

Philthy posted:

boobs
poops

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Apart from Galaxy quest big trouble owns

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'll rep for Big Trouble, as I am one of maybe three people on the planet who like it.

Me and my best mate quote it all the time

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

I've never seen any movie of his aside from all three of the Toy Story movies. And one time I recognized his voice in a car commercial.

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
go watch galaxy quest

Lacey
Jul 10, 2001

Guess where this lollipop's going?

MonkeyHate posted:

I listened to norm macdonald interview tim and it made me real sad. Real real sad. Like tim is just straight up my racist old uncle who's furious at the world because he's not allowed to say ethnic slurs anymore.
I always hated the pig noises Allen makes so it was a real treat to find out he is just another racist uncle complaining that "PC culture" hurts his feelings.

Finally I have a legitimate channel for my hate Tim Allen you racist piece of poo poo.

Vato
Jan 14, 2018

Blast of Confetti posted:

go watch galaxy quest

I would like to! By all accounts this sounds like a good movie. I remember it coming out and still haven't seen it.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdTMw0OsP6g

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
tim allen's real last name is Dick
he got caught smuggling shitloads of coke at kalamazoo airport in the 70s, turned his friends in, and did only like 2 years.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Why did they never come after him anyway?

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe they learned the error of their ways

RecoomesSexyRear
Jul 18, 2003

there is a girl at work who always brags about majoring in criminal justice and loves getting picked for juries because she always knows the defendant is guilty and loves tim allen

so her

Catalina
May 20, 2008

Goddamn, that was beautiful.

Careful Drums
Oct 30, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

berth ell pup posted:

tim allen's real last name is Dick
he got caught smuggling shitloads of coke at kalamazoo airport in the 70s, turned his friends in, and did only like 2 years.

Unironically the American dream, at least one flavor of it

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I need to rewatch Galaxy Quest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gatekeeper
Aug 3, 2003

He was warrior and mystic, ogre and saint, the fox and the innocent, chivalrous, ruthless, less than a god, more than a man.
i feel like that crackwising ne'er-do-well skellington from the internet's own "da mothafuckin share zone" prob watches Tim allen movies, seems like the toolman's big screen antics would be very much extremely his poo poo

Ehud posted:

I like the one where he finds out he has a kid who was raised by a super stereotypical island or African tribe and then he brings him back to America where hi-jinx ensue.

Oh gently caress "jungle 2 jungle" :barf: i was an extra in that christing little gently caress of a movie. the working title during filming was "the little indian in the big city" and everyone was disgusted by this.

i was a youthful little rear end in a top hat of 10, maybe 11, and was very excited to be there in the presence of movie magicians. This particular scene took place on a ferry in New York harbor, and we were out on the water, wind blowing through our collective hairs, the smell of the sea stinging our collective nostrils. I was supposed to remain seated, but as soon as the grumpy PA turned around, I scurried up to Tim "the 'tool man' taylor" allen so I could nab a 'graph* and do a bit of schmoozing.

"Mr allen! Huuuuge fan! Might i trouble you for a 'graph?" My words felt oily, but the toolman was receptive.

"Ahh, ohhh, aughh, yeah alright," he said, making his trademark mumblegrunts, the consummate professional. as he scribbled nonsense upon my small notepad, he asked me if i was having fun being an extra in this particular scene. My nose stung from that grody sea, and I was tired after so many hours of the toolman pretending to rage over the misdeeds of the savage that was his child, but i knew how to play my cards right. The toolman might be looking for fresh talent, and i was certainly fresher and more talented than that child savage. So i lied and said "oh, yes, Mr allen, im having a blast!"

he said "is that so? Well, i hate to break it to you, but this scene is definitely getting cut. so enjoy all this [he gesticulated wildly with his hands, with the elastic grace of a dangerfield, at the production crew, the lights, the camera, the monitors, etc] while you can, because this scene, and you by extension, will NOT be in this movie." (He was, by the way, absolutely correct about this and that abysmal ferry scene was cut out of the film like the cancer that it was - an ultimately futile gesture in the end, as all they had done was remove a cancer from a bigger cancer)

my face went all "tragedy" mask, and i suppose Tim saw the spirit of the theatre within me and knew we were fellow kindred actor spirits, so he said "aw, hey, come on, little guy! Hey, awww, hey, little buddy, aww, hey, come on, hey! it's ok! So what if they cut this scene? You were still here, right? They still filmed you, right? Youre gettin paid for this, right? You got to eat from craft services for lunch, right? So at the end of the day, you will always know that you were a part of this movie. You, my young friend, were a part of... "
[he grimaced]
"...little..."
[he uttered a "blech/ugh" style noise, not unlike his trademark guttural grunt but infused with a raw cynicism not suited for prime time network audiences]
"...little Indian..."
[he grunted again, angrier, more sexual this time, then sighed and rolled his eyes forcefully ]
'...the little Indian in the..."
[his eyes, unable to roll any further, snapped shut like angry lil venus fly traps. His head began to slowly move from side to side, just the faintest movement at first but it built to a crescendo of head-shaking, maybe a head shaking staccato? until finally, with the vigor of a pit bull, toddler a-locked in its jaws, he began to shake his head in disbelief and disgust, dismay and disappointment, a shake for each dis. but something was wrong. He was shaking it harder and harder, way longer than what could be considered normal, so long that it began to draw the notice of the PA's and the crew, the grips, the best boy, the extras (both SAG and non-SAG) and a nervous chatter broke out as everyone nervously whispered their concerns about the mental state of the toolman, would he be Ok? was the future of the production in jeopardy? the whispers reaching a frenzied height as his head showed no sign of relenting, and then BOOM! Like a thunderclap and a flash of lightening, the toolman abruptly froze stock still, and in an instant his whole demeanor changed. All present witnessed the miraculous, that amazing craft of the True Actor as he puffed out his chest and stood mighty and tall and screwed up his face in stubborn furious determination and said with the most aggressive sarcasm anyone has ever heard ever!!!]

"...'the little indian in the big city'."

He then shuddered like an inexperienced drinker after impulsively downing a shot of whiskey, and he made a real sour face as though his tongue burned just from having that wretched gently caress of a working title pass over it. He handed my notepad back to me. His signature had been jotted with such force that it tore right through the page. I knew this was for the best. I went down below deck to the bathroom and waited there until they had wrapped for the day and the ferry returned to shore. I never watched Home Improvement again.

*thats industry slang for "autograph", where a celeb writes their name upon something and you hold onto it and by possessing their name you are able to get some of their power. that's why they charge so much money for 'graphs at conventions and also why they usually scribble their name in a terrible way that you can't even read it, and also ALSO why the elders of their coven (which is called SAG) grant them the ability to use fake "stage" names so you never have their true name and thusly never have access to any of their real, strong, powers. Tim Allen is no different than any other bene gesserit you'd come across on the street or in a cave :( stingy with his powers and bald as a chiklis under one of those standard issue Stan Winston designed
Hollywood hairpieces

• Locked thread