Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
My name is Michael Weston. I used to be a spy, until...*bridge collapses*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
Is that a dude falling on the left?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012
Have they found that the collapse occurred because someone notched the top of the bridge to install a bathtub?

Rusty Rickshaw
Apr 30, 2008

china bot posted:

My name is Michael Weston. I used to be a spy, until...*bridge collapses*

*breathes orally*

Former DILF
Jul 13, 2017

IPCRESS posted:

Have they found that the collapse occurred because someone notched the top of the bridge to install a bathtub?

grover bridj

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

I can't imagine how difficult it's going to be for the people of miami trying to commute to work tomorrow. I hope they stay strong.

Thoughts and prayers.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
It's interesting that this bridge had cracking bad enough to pique an engineer's interest

The general rule is if you don't want concrete to crack, don't pour it. So if people start worrying about cracking, it's got to be pretty loving bad, and this thing was already heading up the big slide when the post-tension guys went up to try and save it

e: and then the post tension guys got on the jack, started pulling, saw the needle wasn't moving on the gauge even though the bar was pulling out, went "huh that's weird" and then KERBLAMMO

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Nerses IV posted:

It's interesting that this bridge had cracking bad enough to pique an engineer's interest

The general rule is if you don't want concrete to crack, don't pour it. So if people start worrying about cracking, it's got to be pretty loving bad, and this thing was already heading up the big slide when the post-tension guys went up to try and save it

e: and then the post tension guys got on the jack, started pulling, saw the needle wasn't moving on the gauge even though the bar was pulling out, went "huh that's weird" and then KERBLAMMO

This is kinda why I suspect it was a repair that might not have gone quite as planned.

You're right about repairs being really hair-raising in monostrand- i look at these procedures and i wonder how the hell they don't tear up a bunch of other cables/rebar when they do it and such. I've seen some procedures that are kinda nuts.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Panzeh posted:

This is kinda why I suspect it was a repair that might not have gone quite as planned.

You're right about repairs being really hair-raising in monostrand- i look at these procedures and i wonder how the hell they don't tear up a bunch of other cables/rebar when they do it and such. I've seen some procedures that are kinda nuts.

Haha, well... the short answer is, they do

We used to have bandlines that were about 800 feet long, pulled at both ends and at the construction joint in the middle, and if somebody broke one in the second pour (this happened all the time, you see there's floor-to-ceiling windows running along the entire south side of the building............) we'd have to use one of these

These things were my loving enemy

meat police
Nov 14, 2015

No one has the balls to say it? Obvious false flag op

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

meat police posted:

No one has the balls to say it? Obvious false flag op

yeah tbh i've suspected the bridge was a crisis actor for a while now

for shame, florida

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit
Finding out that all the bad politics posters are engineering nerds is unsurprising but still satisfying.

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

let it mellow posted:

oh yeah because u set up a detour for a couple hours

u drooling imbecile

and it only takes a couple hours to perform the tensioning procedure as described earlier by pro engineers itt

u obdurate moron

and of course the whole logistics of setting up a detour, rerouting traffic, managing inspections and whatever ancillary things like video documentation, new stuff, etc also fits in this magic one hour window

u idiot shitfucker

This dude is majorly getting worked up because someone suggested that they should have had a detour while loving around with the bridge that killed 8 people lmao.

Moto42
Jul 14, 2006

:dukedog:
Let it Mellow, just can't let it mellow.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Arrhythmia posted:

This dude is majorly getting worked up because someone suggested that they should have had a detour while loving around with the bridge that killed 8 people lmao.

Well, they do have a detour set up now.

cnut
May 3, 2016

Fame Douglas posted:

:chanpop:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

cda posted:

Finding out that all the bad politics posters are engineering nerds is unsurprising but still satisfying.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Fame Douglas posted:

I wonder how long it took them to set up

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if this is what passes for a pedestrian bridge collapse in america i'd hate to see an extraordinary one

cnut
May 3, 2016

Prav posted:

if this is what passes for a pedestrian bridge collapse in america i'd hate to see an extraordinary one

:golfclap:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Prav posted:

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Arrhythmia posted:

He was joking. Dude even said so

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Raldikuk posted:

I'm the gigantic smoke ring in the sky

that was God going OOOOOOOOOH poo poo

Supreme Allah
Oct 6, 2004

everybody relax, i'm here
Nap Ghost

Nerses IV posted:

Haha, well... the short answer is, they do

We used to have bandlines that were about 800 feet long, pulled at both ends and at the construction joint in the middle, and if somebody broke one in the second pour (this happened all the time, you see there's floor-to-ceiling windows running along the entire south side of the building............) we'd have to use one of these

These things were my loving enemy

Am I understanding correctly that what's happened is this

But that black (rubber?) thingy is supposed to make it seem as if nothing ever happened

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy

the speed of the collapse is hilarious

like it fell to the ground with a cartoon splat

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Arrhythmia posted:

Samuel L. ACKSYN
Feb 29, 2008

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

Supreme Allah posted:

Am I understanding correctly that what's happened is this

But that black (rubber?) thingy is supposed to make it seem as if nothing ever happened

I think the end of each wire is doubled back.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

:vince:

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

:eyepop:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

lol

Prav posted:

lol

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

Why does a bridge even need insulation?

:five:

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

:grovertoot:

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.

Is that a person standing on it on the left side?

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

EX250 Type R posted:

Is that a person standing on it on the left side?

Not anymore!

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Im the school bus that almost got flattened had I been a couple seconds ahead of schedule

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

This is pretty much what's happening, yeah. You pull on both of those cable tails and the (steel) splice coupler holds them both in place, making the thing act like a single tendon under tension. It's scary as hell because they're getting pulled at weird angles and at some point, one half of the cable will be under tension, and the other half won't be, so you're sitting there loving around with something that wants to explode, way outside the preferred methods for stressing a cable.

That cable was supposed to be stressed to 33 kips, at which point it would back off to around 28 kips while the little gripping wedges inside the coupler (or the anchor, on an undamaged cable) engage and keep the cable from retracting any farther. We didn't get anywhere near that on that one because it was INCREDIBLY grumpy when we started pulling on it (wedge failure that sent glowing bits of steel flying everywhere type of grumpy), so we pretty much got some decent tension and got the gently caress away from it. This whole stressing procedure happened on a Saturday, and we told anyone working on that floor or the one below to take a break since that cable runs the entire length of the building.

I guess the PT guys working on the bridge had to do it in the middle of the day with a bunch of cars beneath them because, well, they don't call it Accelerated Bridge Construction for nothin'

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Nerses IV posted:

This is pretty much what's happening, yeah. You pull on both of those cable tails and the (steel) splice coupler holds them both in place, making the thing act like a single tendon under tension. It's scary as hell because they're getting pulled at weird angles and at some point, one half of the cable will be under tension, and the other half won't be, so you're sitting there loving around with something that wants to explode, way outside the preferred methods for stressing a cable.

That cable was supposed to be stressed to 33 kips, at which point it would back off to around 28 kips while the little gripping wedges inside the coupler (or the anchor, on an undamaged cable) engage and keep the cable from retracting any farther. We didn't get anywhere near that on that one because it was INCREDIBLY grumpy when we started pulling on it (wedge failure that sent glowing bits of steel flying everywhere type of grumpy), so we pretty much got some decent tension and got the gently caress away from it. This whole stressing procedure happened on a Saturday, and we told anyone working on that floor or the one below to take a break since that cable runs the entire length of the building.

I guess the PT guys working on the bridge had to do it in the middle of the day with a bunch of cars beneath them because, well, they don't call it Accelerated Bridge Construction for nothin'

My company used a different kind of coupler for repairs which was just a cylinder where you put in cable from each direction and it acted like the Chinese finger trap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Panzeh posted:

My company used a different kind of coupler for repairs which was just a cylinder where you put in cable from each direction and it acted like the Chinese finger trap.

For like 99% of our repairs we used the same thing, the only reason those double splice ones are """"""""good"""""""" is because you can stress the cable at the site of the repair instead of at the anchor

• Locked thread