Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
It's breaking right now, seems like a new pedestrian walkway near Florida International University collapsed and there's multiple cars trapped underneath.

Livestream atm, press conference starting soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YPl_F06iHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Infrastructure week!

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
God drat. I'm always terrified of this happening.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fatalities reported, but hey, at least the bridge was finished ahead of schedule last weekend!

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
Remember that bridge in Minneapolis will always have the highest infrastructure kill ratio.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
It was only installed Saturday and was still under construction using some kind of accelerated construction technique. I always hope for no deaths but I already see some are saying multiple fatalities. :(

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Burt Sexual posted:

Infrastructure week!

Infrastructure WEAK

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

Infrastructure WEAK

I didn’t want to steal that

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

Infrastructure WEAK

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
We got bridges decades past their original lifespan design still standing, and this one falls down before it's even fully complete.

They just don't make em like they used to anymore.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

saving a day or two making the bridge doesnt really seem worth it when it collapses in less than a week

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Instant bridge put up in one day! What could go wrong?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The bridge is a metaphor for our culture of instant gratification.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I work in the software industry and there are all kinds of incompetent people in this industry.

It terrifies me that these same types of people are doubtless in other actually important industries like construction where mistakes can get people killed. It honestly amazes me poo poo like this doesn't happen more often.

e: They just said on the youtube stream that the bridge was getting stress tested to see how much weight it could take when it collapsed. Jesus christ. Surely there's a better time to do that test than mid day?

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

OSHA!!!

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Now that's what I call a BRIDGE TOO FAR

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ginette Reno posted:

I work in the software industry and there are all kinds of incompetent people in this industry.

It terrifies me that these same types of people are doubtless in other actually important industries like construction where mistakes can get people killed. It honestly amazes me poo poo like this doesn't happen more often.

The software industry does all sorts of stuff that can result in people killed tho?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

https://news.fiu.edu/2018/03/first-of-its-kind-pedestrian-bridge-swings-into-place/120385

Great bridge folks. Glad I didn't drive anywhere near this this thing for the past couple of days

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.

Peter Daou Bundy posted:

Now that's what I call a BRIDGE TOO FAR

the bridge on the river, die

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Burt Sexual posted:

The software industry does all sorts of stuff that can result in people killed tho?

That's true. The app I work on is just for Sales poo poo though so...it breaking *probably* won't get people killed.

But yeah there definitely is software that when it breaks can get people hosed over.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

quote:

“This bridge is the result of great support from our congressional delegation and the U.S. Department of Transportation,” said FIU Senior Vice President and CFO Kenneth Jessell. “This bridge has already been the catalyst for significant economic development in the City of Sweetwater. FIU and our surrounding community will benefit from this project for generations to come.”

LOL!

Johnny Bravo
Jan 19, 2011
https://mobile.twitter.com/FIU/status/972529770683564033
Last-of-its-kind pedestrian bridge "falls" into place.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
garbage bridge for a garbage state

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Do it ironically posted:

garbage bridge for a garbage state

you might say it was a garbridge

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Hmm seems like a pretty long section of unsupported reinforced concrete with no tensioning cables or anything like that as far as I can tell

What could go wrong, concrete's real strong in tension right? Or wait maybe it was the other one

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Burt Sexual posted:

We're all going to die when some software custodian breaks the killbot programming in a firmware update, causing them to target all humans instead of just poor, brown ones.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Johnny Bravo posted:

https://mobile.twitter.com/FIU/status/972529770683564033
Last-of-its-kind pedestrian bridge "falls" into place.

no support in the center just seems to be asking for it

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
whoa they brought in a giant man to give the presser

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

absolute unit

OWLS!
Sep 17, 2009

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

it's happening!

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

the other guy's fire helmet was massive, too

just comically large things in this press conference

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
VS I don't like your new AV

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Captain Yossarian posted:

VS I don't like your new AV

it serves on the whim of the community

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
If only the bridge had a gun

SERPUS
Mar 20, 2004
Many fatalities.

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

ditty bout my clitty posted:

If only the bridge had a gun

it was an assault bridge

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
lol cop is like "hey media please don't be fake news"

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

VikingSkull posted:

lol cop is like "hey media please don't be fake news"

They are refuting the stress test, right?

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017

Burt Sexual posted:

They are refuting the stress test, right?

it was just a blanket "don't report poo poo before we tell you it's true, idiots"

also it seems the mayor of Sweetwater is Jim "The Anvil" Neidhart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Vladimir Putin on the mic now

this press conference is really strange

• Locked thread