Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Sagebrush posted:

i am literally employed as and paid to be a pedant. i spend six hours a day four days a week actively telling people how to do things, explaining stuff to them, and correcting their mistakes.

welcome to my world

"and do you do any passion correcting outside of work?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

Jonny 290 posted:

the video is out. there is absolutely no way competent code with lidar inputs should not have detected that poor fuckin woman. literally revoke the steam accounts of all devs involved

the car doesn't even engage in an emergency braking manoeuvre. it just plows on. great metaphor for uber's business ethics.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

go play outside Skyler posted:

the car doesn't even engage in an emergency braking manoeuvre. it just plows on. great metaphor for uber's business ethics.

the driver who is supposed to be watching the road seems to be sleeping or messing with their phone too. maybe it's just the video, but the headlights don't seem to be aimed correctly either. they're supposed to illuminate down the road, not just what you are about to hit.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

The_Franz posted:

the driver who is supposed to be watching the road seems to be sleeping or messing with their phone too.

maybe it's just the video, but the headlights don't seem to be aimed correctly either. they're supposed to illuminate down the road, not just what you are about to hit.

1 is actually entirely irrelevant to the discussion here

2 it's the video, as discussed

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

the video is way darker than that area is. there's street lights like every 100 feet. i feel like uber had to intentionally pick a lovely front view cam so the public would side with them when they run someone over at night.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
i want to see a composite view from the sensors/image recognition system overlaid on that video

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Mar 22, 2018

30 TO 50 FERAL HOG
Mar 2, 2005

hifi posted:

the video is way darker than that area is. there's street lights like every 100 feet. i feel like uber had to intentionally pick a lovely front view cam so the public would side with them when they run someone over at night.

no dude its just really hard to get a good picture at night, you either need a massive aperture or really long exposure time (hard to do when youre capturing 30fps video)

the human eye kicks rear end compared to basically every single camera ever created when it comes to night time

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

NEED MORE MILK posted:

no dude its just really hard to get a good picture at night, you either need a massive aperture or really long exposure time (hard to do when youre capturing 30fps video)

the human eye kicks rear end compared to basically every single camera ever created when it comes to night time

i know but the video is exceptionally lovely

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
the thing is the quality of the video is entirely tangential to the car's operation, unless uber is trying to claim that lovely webcam is the vehicle's only forward facing sensor

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

NEED MORE MILK posted:

This isn't true any more. The human eye is better than the pea-sized camera on the back of your cell phone, but a decent modern SLR camera with a fast lens can effectively see in starlight, something humans can only do after a long period of adaptation and then only barely.

The human eye still has more dynamic range, which is an issue at night with street lamps, but this particular situation should have been handled just fine by any reasonable camera. I'm pretty sure my GoPro from 4 years ago takes better pictures at night than what Uber released

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
1. Throw "safety driver" under the bus
2. Attempt to settle while acting very intimidating
3. Argue that full system data recording and any retrospective analysis view should not be admitted in discovery
4. Get wrekt

Mystery step: try to decide the best way to tamper with or destroy evidence

Continually: try to keep investor cash flowing

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.
The sort of data management policy you'd want for training a.i. is like the opposite of what you want for liability management

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

NEED MORE MILK posted:

good thing the popular claim isn't that self-driving cars will be as good or better than humans then

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

:kingsley: the car wasn't using the loving webcam to drive :kingsley:

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

infernal machines posted:

:kingsley: the car wasn't using the loving webcam to drive :kingsley:

:supaburn: they wont release anything else so we need to go off the data theyve given us :supaburn:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

no we don't

that's the whole point of releasing some grainy found footage bullshit in the first place, don't fall for it.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
of course we know that there is more, but as long as they dont give it to us, imma talk poo poo. smdh at their fucken vga webcam. i buy those for $3 at the thrift just for the usb cables

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yo footage look like a dishrag

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
lol yeah like the local PD has the intellectual horsepower to be able to successfully investigate this on their own. Every single time I've had to deal with an incident that involved law enforcement and tech, its like trying to explain Soundcloud rap to your grandma.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

prisoner of waffles posted:

1. Throw "safety driver" under the uber

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE
related: NASA various and other organizations/manufacturers keep floating ideas for removing the copilot from commercial flights and replace them with a virtual one, that can be controlled remotely if needed.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Jimmy Carter posted:

lol yeah like the local PD has the intellectual horsepower to be able to successfully investigate this on their own. Every single time I've had to deal with an incident that involved law enforcement and tech, its like trying to explain Soundcloud rap to your grandma.

my grandma is dead, rear end in a top hat

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb

fart simpson posted:

my grandma is dead, rear end in a top hat

Excuse me, I'm an rear end in a top hat in real life. Please try to be more sensitive.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

hifi posted:

i know but the video is exceptionally lovely

https://arstechnica.com/cars/2018/03/police-chief-said-uber-victim-came-from-the-shadows-dont-believe-it/

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
sometimes people have to die in the name of progress

it just happens

whatever, gently caress that lady

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

it looks like the jabba the hutt wannabe felon that they hired was texting when the tragic crash happened.

HoboMan
Nov 4, 2010

i am 200000% sure uber had the driver sign something stating they assume all liability rather than uber

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Jimmy Carter posted:

related: NASA various and other organizations/manufacturers keep floating ideas for removing the copilot from commercial flights and replace them with a virtual one, that can be controlled remotely if needed.

:allears:

lol, floating

soon the only job of the pilot will be to hit a button labeled 'wilco' or 'roger' and to take blame

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Plank Walker posted:

the AI was definitely uber, unfortunately the pedestrian was unter

Nice!

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Jonny 290 posted:

of course we know that there is more, but as long as they dont give it to us, imma talk poo poo. smdh at their fucken vga webcam. i buy those for $3 at the thrift just for the usb cables

you are overpaying for your usb cables

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Zamujasa posted:

sounds like the car had the wrong driver installed, op.

Plank Walker posted:

the AI was definitely uber, unfortunately the pedestrian was unter

lol

• Locked thread