Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/19/technology/uber-driverless-fatality.html

quote:

SAN FRANCISCO — A woman in Tempe, Ariz., died after being hit by a self-driving car operated by Uber, in what appears to be the first known death of a pedestrian struck by an autonomous vehicle on public roads.

The Uber vehicle was in autonomous mode with a human safety driver at the wheel when it struck the woman, who was crossing the street outside of a crosswalk, the Tempe police said in a statement. The episode occurred overnight, although the authorities did not specify whether it was late Sunday or early Monday. The woman was not publicly identified.

An Uber spokeswoman said the company was “fully cooperating” with the local authorities. The company said it had suspended testing of its self-driving cars in Tempe, Pittsburgh, San Francisco and Toronto.

RIP driverless cars. im a man and i can control my own vehicle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
it starts

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

and the inevitable happens. if people could see what self driving cars “see” I don’t think people would trust this poo poo so much or have such high hopes for it. a lady killed for the terrible crime of jaywalking, an incomprehensible and unanticipated scenario

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005
the AI was definitely uber, unfortunately the pedestrian was unter

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
now they have to destroy the car

once they get a taste for human blood they basically become uncontrollable

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

FMguru posted:

now they have to destroy the car

once they get a taste for human blood they basically become uncontrollable

enough about thiel and his ilk

DELETE CASCADE
Oct 25, 2017

i haven't washed my penis since i jerked it to a phtotograph of george w. bush in 2003

Plank Walker posted:

the AI was definitely uber, unfortunately the pedestrian was unter

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
I’m the human safety driver who lets a computer run people over for pay.

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

blugu64 posted:

I’m the human safety driver who lets a computer run people over for pay.

he had one job. one job to push on the brake pedal if the mean computer tried to kill someone

Bored Online
May 25, 2009

We don't need Rome telling us what to do.
who is he/she to stand in the way of progress

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
gonna be interesting to see how the insurance industry handles driverless cars

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
sounds like the car had the wrong driver installed, op.

obstipator
Nov 8, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
i think the safety driver did it. computer cannot hurt humans. its in their code

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

i wish uber was a publicly traded company so i could watch its stock price bomb

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
[unreal tournament voice]uber kill[/unreal tournament voice]

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

[unreal tournament voice]uber kill[/unreal tournament voice]

You must be playing one of the inferior later editions

The canonical UT killstreak is double kill - multi kill - UL TRA KILL - M-M-M-M-MON STER KILL KILL kill kill kill

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

i thought for the longest goddamned time that m-m-m-m-monster kill etc was a mod because i only ever heard it once

i'm not good at fps pvp and never was :(

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Ciaphas posted:

i thought for the longest goddamned time that m-m-m-m-monster kill etc was a mod because i only ever heard it once

i'm not good at fps pvp and never was :(

snipe bots on facing worlds. as long as you keep chaining headshots it counts as a single multi-kill, and bots just keep running out into it.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yeah when I was like 14 my buddy and I would set it up on facing worlds with 8 bots on the blue team and just the player on red and see who could keep it up the longest

Gets real tricky when you run out of ammo and have to keep going to get more then back up to the roof

creationist believer
Feb 16, 2007

College Slice

obstipator posted:

i think the safety driver did it. computer cannot hurt humans. its in their code

or the computer calculated that if it didn't kill that pedestrian, it would allow harm to come to humanity

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
the trick was to play on 125% speed, and then own all your friends on normal speed.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Sagebrush posted:

You must be playing one of the inferior later editions

The canonical UT killstreak is double kill - multi kill - UL TRA KILL - M-M-M-M-MON STER KILL KILL kill kill kill

way to completely miss the joke

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
level 2 and 3 cars are fundamentally flawed against the way human attention spans work and are dumb as hell

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~
Pay attention to this light. It is a green light 100% of the time according to X criteria, but incorrectly displays green instead of red 1% of the time. Your job is to be there when it incorrectly displays green instead of red and manually correct it. Good luck!!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Captain Foo posted:

way to completely miss the joke

no, i got it, i'm just incredibly spergy about UT

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003

Sagebrush posted:

no, i got it, i'm just incredibly spergy

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

i am literally employed as and paid to be a pedant. i spend six hours a day four days a week actively telling people how to do things, explaining stuff to them, and correcting their mistakes.

welcome to my world

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
idiot uber ai probably not at fault according to police, because woman pushing grocery laden bicycle leapt from the shadows into the path of the speeding vehicle

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
unsurprising

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

I agree, jaywalkers deserve to be murdered for their crimes

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
same

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

too bad lidar and radar don’t work when it’s dark

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

better yet, Fox News is reporting that the safety driver was, in typical uber fashion, a felon. attempted armed robbery. :lol:

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

blugu64 posted:

better yet, Fox News is reporting that the safety driver was, in typical uber fashion, a felon. attempted armed robbery. :lol:

how tf does a felon get a high risk tech job like making sure the computer doesn’t kill anyone

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

roboshit posted:

how tf does a felon get a high risk tech job like making sure the computer doesn’t kill anyone

its almost as though they most likely targeted felons to be their driver seat occupants, knowing that they could spin it as a "She was NO ANGEL" thing when they inevitably gently caress up.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
its incredibly ok and cool to discriminate against and abuse felons in modern America

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
the video is out. there is absolutely no way competent code with lidar inputs should not have detected that poor fuckin woman. literally revoke the steam accounts of all devs involved

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
call me charles whitman cause i'm easily claiming this quad

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

I'm the safety driver who now has to live with seeing a woman get run over, because a bunch of software devs want to watch anime on the way to work

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Jonny 290 posted:

call me charles whitman cause i'm easily claiming this quad

lol

• Locked thread