Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

General Dog posted:

I think the game has lost a bit of its charm- the character models are pretty ugly, doesn't have crazy umpire voice anymore, home runs don't feel as good anymore- but the gameplay still feels great, and the animation and physics upgrades are pretty impressive. Online largely works great.

Wish they'd kept the old player upgrade system in season mode though; leveling up->upgrading players->increasing ego was pretty much the core gameplay for the the old one.

Fielding still feels pretty stiff, maybe worse than the original.

I've been playing through RTTS and I reached a point where I just jacked up all of the sliders so that even as a like ~65 OVR I'm still launching balls 450+ feet

Maybe other people play it for different reasons but in RTTS I basically just want to be Barry Bonds and hit 5 dingers a game

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Waffles Inc. posted:

I've been playing through RTTS and I reached a point where I just jacked up all of the sliders so that even as a like ~65 OVR I'm still launching balls 450+ feet

Maybe other people play it for different reasons but in RTTS I basically just want to be Barry Bonds and hit 5 dingers a game

:same: I'm garbage at hitting and really don't play online so I just jack the sliders up so my guy is insane. It helps that it's actually significantly easier to walk on lower difficulties in this year's version.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I buy this every year and hate it every year.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
I love how I can hit a dead red fastball online with perfect timing and location and have it be a lazy grounder to short every loving time. This game can suck my dick.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

General Dog posted:

I think the game has lost a bit of its charm- the character models are pretty ugly, doesn't have crazy umpire voice anymore, home runs don't feel as good anymore- but the gameplay still feels great, and the animation and physics upgrades are pretty impressive. Online largely works great.

Wish they'd kept the old player upgrade system in season mode though; leveling up->upgrading players->increasing ego was pretty much the core gameplay for the the old one.

I refunded the game on Steam. I can't believe they got rid of the season mode player upgrading with coaches. The mode is pretty much pointless now because it's always going to be exactly the same from season to season. Mojo, fatigue and injuries seemed way too random to me and aren't a sufficient replacement for the coaches that would improve your squad from year to year. I kind of wish it had trading and free agency as well. I don't particularly care for online play, either, which was obviously their main focus for this game.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

I wish there was just some sort of way to force a trade in RTTS; I know it's not "realistic" or whatever but gently caress it, I don't want to play for Dbacks

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Waffles Inc. posted:

I wish there was just some sort of way to force a trade in RTTS; I know it's not "realistic" or whatever but gently caress it, I don't want to play for Dbacks

You can go into Options > Adjust Sliders and set Trade Frequency to max, then sim until you're traded. The caveat is that it increases trade frequency for everybody, so if you don't get moved quickly guys are going to be flying all over the place in the league.

Also there's a way you can kind of choose the team that drafts you (or at least give yourself some options) but it's fairly tedious:
1. Turn auto save after games on if it isn't already (pretty sure it's on by default)
2. Make a character, play your showcase games
3. If you don't like who drafted you, tell your coach "So what's next?", then “I could delay a year, huh?”, then “Yes I’ll wait and try my luck at next year’s draft.” Pick whatever development bonus you want, it doesn't matter.
4. Once you're dumped back in the locker room back out to the main menu and reload the save.
5. You'll immediately be put back into the draft, and can repeat steps 3 and 4 as much as you want until you get drafted by somebody you like.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm bummed I can't seem to put Ohtani in as my everyday DH? My all-Asian player team is really bad without his bat. I mean it's like Ji-Man Choi and Jung Ho Kang for power. I might have to create Byung Ho Park to get some dinger bats in the lineup.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

General Dog posted:

yeah I was really hoping for a MORE robust season mode, so I'm pretty disappointed. glad it was free on Xbox Live.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

AndrewP posted:

yeah I was really hoping for a MORE robust season mode, so I'm pretty disappointed. glad it was free on Xbox Live.

Online owns though

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-uWtXwXnBdc

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

Waffles Inc. posted:

Same, but the pitching equivalent. (My first AA season, I led walks allowed with 1.) Then I went to AAA and the Dynamic Difficulty got to Hall of Fame...

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
Played a 15 inning conquest game I won 35 to 31 because that is how long it took for J.D. Martinez to drive in a second run. The problem was he kept hitting with no one on cause the three guys ahead of him in the lineup each hit 2 home runs.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Parker Lewis posted:

It’s the first one I have played since ‘14 and if nothing else it runs much better on the Pro than ‘14 did on a normal PS4. I wish they still made a Vita version but I guess Remote Play is an option.

Haven’t spent much time on anything other than Road to the Show mode yet but that’s been fun so far.

14 is what I last played as well. I actually did the smart thing this year and bought The Show 17 because it was $20.

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy

alpha_destroy posted:

Played a 15 inning conquest game I won 35 to 31 because that is how long it took for J.D. Martinez to drive in a second run. The problem was he kept hitting with no one on cause the three guys ahead of him in the lineup each hit 2 home runs.

who the hell was pitching at that point?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Dubious posted:

who the hell was pitching at that point?

Shane Greene or whoever the closer is.

Also, unrelated, it is absolute loving bullshit how often the CPU successfully picks you off. I don't even increase my lead at all and I swear it picks me off at will. Like, what the am I actually supposed to do? Not lead off at all?

It wouldn't piss me off so much if I could ever pick of the CPU myself.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

alpha_destroy posted:

Also, unrelated, it is absolute loving bullshit how often the CPU successfully picks you off. I don't even increase my lead at all and I swear it picks me off at will. Like, what the am I actually supposed to do? Not lead off at all?

I rarely every try to pick someone off. I've probably only tried 10-15 times in twice as many games. I've had 2-3 of those attempts go flying over the head of the 1st baseman, and none were successful. One would have been successful as it got the guy in a pickle but then the first baseman dropped the ball when it got to him because the pitcher threw it into the dirt well in front of him. By the time he was able to pick it up the throw to 2nd was well late.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

alpha_destroy posted:

Stealing/Not getting picked off in The Show 101:

1. Use analog baserunning controls, not buttons
2. Don't look at the pitcher. Seriously, he doesn't matter. Look at the catcher. If he moves, a pitch is going to be delivered which means you can try to steal. If he doesn't, there's going to be a pick off attempt
3. Hold the analog stick to the left at all times and take your lead. Watch the catcher. If a pick off attempt occurs in this time, you holding the stick to the left will cause you to dive back to the base and prevent the attempt every time unless you have a stupidly huge lead. Seriously if you do this it functionally makes it impossible for you to be picked off ever.
4. Rinse repeat until you see the catcher shift a bit. As soon as he moves, jam the stick to the right and you'll be able to steal. If you don't want to steal then just let go of the stick once the catcher moves.

As for picking the CPU off yourself as a pitcher, that is indeed bullshit luck. Only advice I can give is that if you quickly press R2 + Circle you do a "quick pick off" that works better if the runner has a huge lead, and if you hold R2 + Circle you do a "deceptive pick off" that can sometimes trick a runner closer to the bag into going. It doesn't make a huge difference in my experience, but it's something.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

Sydin posted:

As for picking the CPU off yourself as a pitcher, that is indeed bullshit luck. Only advice I can give is that if you quickly press R2 + Circle you do a "quick pick off" that works better if the runner has a huge lead, and if you hold R2 + Circle you do a "deceptive pick off" that can sometimes trick a runner closer to the bag into going. It doesn't make a huge difference in my experience, but it's something.

I haven't even really tried stealing since most of the Cubs are slow and I'm bad and rarely have baserunners anyways, but for pickoffs, is it R2 or L2? I've always used L2 and maybe that's part of my problem. I also didn't realize it was a difference between tap and hold and so I have no idea what I've been doing - probably hold. The tutorial for it wasn't very good.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I think it's L2, yeah. :downs:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
How do you get the new Reyes?

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Sydin posted:

Stealing/Not getting picked off in The Show 101:

1. Use analog baserunning controls, not buttons
2. Don't look at the pitcher. Seriously, he doesn't matter. Look at the catcher. If he moves, a pitch is going to be delivered which means you can try to steal. If he doesn't, there's going to be a pick off attempt
3. Hold the analog stick to the left at all times and take your lead. Watch the catcher. If a pick off attempt occurs in this time, you holding the stick to the left will cause you to dive back to the base and prevent the attempt every time unless you have a stupidly huge lead. Seriously if you do this it functionally makes it impossible for you to be picked off ever.
4. Rinse repeat until you see the catcher shift a bit. As soon as he moves, jam the stick to the right and you'll be able to steal. If you don't want to steal then just let go of the stick once the catcher moves.

Thanks, but it's not RTTS it's every other mode lol.

I haven't been picked off since I started hitting R2 only after the pitcher comes set. Hilariously, the one time I decided I was being paranoid and went back to loading up a steal immediately the CPU pitched out on a 1-1 count and threw me out lol.

Normal Not Odd
Nov 5, 2003

what a t e r r i b l e world

what a b e a u t i f u l world

davecrazy posted:

How do you get the new Reyes?

Collect all 6 Camo Equipment pieces.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Not a single good Met came out today.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

there is a good met?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

Wright and Reyes both got good flashbacks. There is a diamond Piazza and a good gold Keith Hernandez and Gary Carter.

Carter and Piazza have better diamonds but as expos/dodgers.

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

I haven't owned a baseball game since like 2k12. Is 18 worth getting or should i just wait for 19?

jabro
Mar 25, 2003

July Mock Draft 2014

1st PLACE
RUNNER-UP
got the knowshon

Uh, do you want to play a baseball game now or in 9 months?

Ergo Propter Hog
Jul 21, 2014

Fair enough

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013
There was a free ten pack bundle in PSN store as of yesterday, I am assuming it is still there.

It isn't real clear how to redeem it but I just entered the store and searched for MLB the show and it shows up on the list, I then booted up the show and I got a message which took me to the open packs screen.

I have no idea how long this is available so just giving a heads up.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

I know I'm super late to the party but this Daniel Nava mission in Diamond Dynasty can suck my rear end. Any way this can be cheesed in ranked or anything?

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I beat it by switching to directional and just pushing the stick away. Swing at anything up in the zone. Took me two games with that approach.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Ugh I will feel like such trash going back to directional but OH loving WELL gently caress YOU NAVA. Also there's a monthly player with 1hr and 3xbh missions, and the dude has like no power. Kinda worried about that one eventually, too. I haven't actually hit on directional in years. Maybe I will die.

Grem fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Aug 14, 2018

• Locked thread