Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

The latest edition of Sony's PS4-exclusive baseball franchise is out now with some iterative improvements over last year's version. Babe Ruth is in it!

Gameplay Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aa_eefq-_eg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

The Heroes the Vikings Deserve
Lipstick Apathy
is this a cricket video game

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Dubious posted:

is this a cricket video game

American Baseball

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
when does the switch league start

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Metapod posted:

when does the switch league start

after the power bottom league does

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

this game kinda sucks

I’ll make the league

Parker Lewis
Jan 4, 2006

Can't Lose

Paperback Writer posted:

this game kinda sucks

I’ll make the league

It’s the first one I have played since ‘14 and if nothing else it runs much better on the Pro than ‘14 did on a normal PS4. I wish they still made a Vita version but I guess Remote Play is an option.

Haven’t spent much time on anything other than Road to the Show mode yet but that’s been fun so far.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Games bad can't charge the mound

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Mods please change the thread tag back so it is an accurate representation of the OP again

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Why is it when I get a strike it's not giving me a point? And since when is 3 strikes an out and not a turkey

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Metapod posted:

Why is it when I get a strike it's not giving me a point? And since when is 3 strikes an out and not a turkey

yurkey

Oberst
May 24, 2010

Fertilizing threads since 2010
Is this the jai alai thread

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Oberst posted:

Is this the jai alai thread

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RwZLlwHp2zI&t=5s

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

Is online vs still a laggy terrible mess?

Edit: Also is it impossible to hit a line drive into the gap?

Kanish fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Mar 30, 2018

Jingleheimer
Mar 30, 2006
In case you were wondering what to name your RTTS player, they went through the trouble to record first and last name audio for the name Bobson Dugnutt.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

Jingleheimer posted:

In case you were wondering what to name your RTTS player, they went through the trouble to record first and last name audio for the name Bobson Dugnutt.

I usually go with The Dude Lebowski or Walter Sobchak, which both also have complete first and last name audio.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I love The Show.

http://i.imgur.com/TLivZpw.gifv

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Jingleheimer posted:

He can even be randomly generated!

Flyin Jim Elbows
Jul 10, 2008

College Slice
Diamond Dynasty is fun but I'm really garbage at this game and my only decent player is some guy named Jedd Gyurko

Kanish
Jun 17, 2004

I redboxed this game and Ill answer my own questions.

Yes, theres no such thing as a ball in the gap.

Online wasnt too bad as a hitter, but the pitching meter was hard to get a hold of.

Too many goddamn popups. If you swing under a ball, alot of time its gonna be foul tipped to the backstop, and not a mile high popup to the catcher.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Kanish posted:

I redboxed this game and Ill answer my own questions.

Yes, theres no such thing as a ball in the gap.

Online wasnt too bad as a hitter, but the pitching meter was hard to get a hold of.

Too many goddamn popups. If you swing under a ball, alot of time its gonna be foul tipped to the backstop, and not a mile high popup to the catcher.

You just suck op I've hit the ball in the gap plenty

Dubious
Mar 7, 2006

Lipstick Apathy
lmao if you meter pitch idiot

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

i only play offline and you better bet I jack the contact and power sliders all the way up

Kanish posted:

this is the fuckin truth though

popups for days

TeeMerk
Jun 9, 2013

Dubious posted:

lmao if you meter pitch idiot

I meter pitch and I'll strike your rear end out!!!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

I bought this on a whim as my first baseball game since MLB The Show 14, which was my first since probably one of the 2k games in the early 360 era, which was my first since RBI Baseball 3 on NES. I guess this is the shortest I've waited between baseball games.

So far it's fun but I'm going to need to learn how to read pitches. If it's on "Beginner" it's ludicrously easy to just bang home runs out nonstop since every pitch is a meatball down the middle. If I turn it up, it's still not too bad, but I am bad. Either way most of my outs right now are coming on baserunning errors since I'm having trouble wrapping my head around it for whatever dumb reason.

Compared to 14 I like it a lot better. Even in 4k HDR mode it runs way better than 14 did, and just in general it doesn't seem to have things that annoy me. It helps a lot that the TV its on does not have like 150ms display lag like the previous one did.

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Ok so I tried this road to the show thing, I spent like 30 minutes customizing my player and then I had to quit the game to do something else. When I went back and loaded my save, apparently it didn't bother saving any of that and I'm right back to where I pick what kind of player I want to be. Also it didn't let me do anything for speed so I got the lowest possible value scouted for that. Great start to this.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

uh why is my pitcher’s fastball velocity stuck at 80 when my cap is 99, it just won’t let it go any higher

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

uh why is my pitcher’s fastball velocity stuck at 80 when my cap is 99, it just won’t let it go any higher

Your max cap is 99 but you will need to do drills that will raise your cap (which isn't 99 starting off) to get there

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
Yeah the cap system isn't explained that well. You have a max cap based on your archetype, which is the absolute highest you can ever get the stat barring equipment boosts. Then you have a current cap, which is how high the stat can go right now. You have to wait for the training that increases your current fastball caps.

Also maybe I'm just an idiot but I'll point it out for others because it took me ages to realize: you learn new pitches by scrolling down in the options, either in training or field drills I can't remember which. There's no indication you can scroll down but you can, and you'll get a list of "learn x pitch" with the caveat that you can only learn pitches that teammates know and have at a fairly high stat level; the idea being that you're "learning Kershaw's nasty curve/Miller's nasty slider/etc". Also maybe because of said narrative you can't learn new pitches until you make it to the majors.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Metapod posted:

Your max cap is 99 but you will need to do drills that will raise your cap (which isn't 99 starting off) to get there

No, my cap and max cap are 99. I restarted the game and magically I could go from 80 to 84. :iiam:

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
What gimmick roster should I roll this year in the Show?

Past gimmick rosters included:
all-Asian players (good pitching, atrocious hitting)
the all-club house cancer team (it was way too good. Puig and A-Rod destroyed everyone and there was no way to properly simulate the players hating each other)

I am thinking of a negative WAR team, although Bautista and Pujols would mash.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

Rand alPaul posted:

What gimmick roster should I roll this year in the Show?

Past gimmick rosters included:
all-Asian players (good pitching, atrocious hitting)
the all-club house cancer team (it was way too good. Puig and A-Rod destroyed everyone and there was no way to properly simulate the players hating each other)

I am thinking of a negative WAR team, although Bautista and Pujols would mash.

All bad contracts would be good, you could do some hilarious stuff like have Albert and Miggy play the corner infield spots

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Carlosologist posted:

All bad contracts would be good, you could do some hilarious stuff like have Albert and Miggy play the corner infield spots

Oh man the idea of those guys playing the corners is too appealing to me.

Also are injuries still on a slider? I thought about making an all-injury prone team and just maxing the injuries and seeing how far into the season I can to until my roster dies.

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night
I was gonna say all short players, but Altuve makes that too easy probably.

An all alliteration/assonance team: Billy Burns, John Jaso, Edwin Encarnacion, Gio Gonzalez, Freddie Freeman, Troy Tulowitzki, etc.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

My pitcher is still in AAA in 2021 so I made a knuckleballer with a cutter and a 12-6 curve. His first AA start was a CG shutout. Hooray. What the hell do the control and break stats even do for knuckleballs?

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
PSA: A year after its initial announced release date, Super Mega Baseball 2 is coming out May 1. If you didn't play the first one, it's a baseball game that's actually fun. Pitching is particularly excellent; it feels better than it ever has in any licensed release. First one had a more polished Backyard Baseball feel to it; the new one looks like it's going in a more realistic direction while still trying to maintain the fun, straightforward gameplay. Give it a poke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cikfNqD0II

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

General Dog posted:

PSA: A year after its initial announced release date, Super Mega Baseball 2 is coming out May 1. If you didn't play the first one, it's a baseball game that's actually fun. Pitching is particularly excellent; it feels better than it ever has in any licensed release. First one had a more polished Backyard Baseball feel to it; the new one looks like it's going in a more realistic direction while still trying to maintain the fun, straightforward gameplay. Give it a poke.

I'm excited for this. I really liked the original and was disappointed when it was delayed from its supposed September release.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

General Dog posted:

This looks great! I dig the art style and that there are woman players

drat shame it's not gonna be on the Switch though. I need a good Switch baseball game that's not Super 2020

alpha_destroy
Mar 23, 2010

Billy Butler: Fat Guy by Day, Doubles Machine by Night

General Dog posted:

I have hit so many come backers off the pitcher in the show. Never injured one.

First game of SMB2, I Billy Wagnered the opposing ace in the second inning. Dude left the game with "major pain." I think we know which game is better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I think the game has lost a bit of its charm- the character models are pretty ugly, doesn't have crazy umpire voice anymore, home runs don't feel as good anymore- but the gameplay still feels great, and the animation and physics upgrades are pretty impressive. Online largely works great.

Wish they'd kept the old player upgrade system in season mode though; leveling up->upgrading players->increasing ego was pretty much the core gameplay for the the old one.

Fielding still feels pretty stiff, maybe worse than the original.

• Locked thread