Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

PriorMarcus posted:

The dinosaur stampede is in the theatrical Kong, though I agree it's poo poo.

So the bug scene is the new one then? That was a fun addition if so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Basebf555 posted:

So the bug scene is the new one then? That was a fun addition if so.

The one in the pit with the giant millipedes? Nope that was theatrical too.

I think you are just accurately remembering that whole action sequence as insanely long and bloated and rationally assuming that you must’ve seen some kind of extended version.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Gripweed posted:

The one in the pit with the giant millipedes? Nope that was theatrical too.

I think you are just accurately remembering that whole action sequence as insanely long and bloated and rationally assuming that you must’ve seen some kind of extended version.

There was actually an extended edition, I knew I was right about that. I just was off on which big effects sequence was added, it was actually this scene where they encounter like giant killer piranhas or something.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uvd7hCzUU_E

Not a particularly bad scene but yea the movie is so bloated as it is.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Based on premieres of new 4K restorations at Cannes Classics this year, we're probably getting these sometime this year...

Seven Samurai - UHD already out in Japan, French UHD just announced. It's the 70th anniversary, too, so good chance Criterion does this before the end of the year.
The Umbrellas of Cherbourg - Seems like an obvious UHD to release from Criterion
The Sugarland Express - Universal has been putting out a lot of Spielberg in UHD, so this is probably coming in the fall.
Paris, Texas - New restoration being shown, it's the 40th anniversary and Criterion's Blu is kind of old.
Army of Shadows - New restoration, Criterion has already upgraded two Melvilles and it's the 55th anniversary

Also looks like there's a major project between Steven Spielberg and Library of Congress to do 4K remasters of Frederick Wiseman's entire film-based works.

The Saucer Hovers
May 16, 2005

where is my severin kids complete Ernest box with negative scans of every film and all the commercials that could be recovered

ultraviolence123
Jul 3, 2002

Eureka, heroes of physical media, are releasing Message from Space in a superior edition. Now I no longer have to debate on buying the oop / extremely expensive Scream Factory title that I slept on when it first came out.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

That's amazing news! I'll have to snag that for sure. Is it only region B? More excuse for me to get a region-free player.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

That's amazing news! I'll have to snag that for sure. Is it only region B? More excuse for me to get a region-free player.

Yep

https://twitter.com/Eurekavideo/status/1783557342652407939

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Maybe Discotek will get it too for region A - they carry the TV show, and something like this happened with Kamikaze Girls. Either way it's great that it has a new release. Such a cool, interesting movie.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Speaking of July announcements,

Arrow:

UK get The Last Starfighter 4K and Loop Track
US and Canada get Red Line 7000
Everywhere gets The Man from UNCLE 2015 4K and the Nico Mastorakis Collection (The Time Traveller, Sky High, Terminal Exposure, Glitch!, Ninja Academy and The Naked Truth)

Imprint:

8MM
The Juror
Men of Respect
Smoke/Blue in the Face double feature
Film Focus: Harvey Keitel boxset (Bad Lieutenant, The Young Americans, Dangerous Game, Imaginary Crimes, Clockers and Holy Smoke)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

oooooh 8MM. Too bad it isnt 4K.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
That nico set looks cool

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Went a little nuts at the Kino Lorber sale, but got a nice copy of Hardcore (Schumacher riffed on this with 8MM), The Man On The Moon and the classic Chicago buddy cop comedy Running Scared.

Locally there's this shop called Nickelflix and they sell Blu Rays for $4 unless it's a boutique - picked up Crazy People (which I never even knew had a Blu release) and the original Magnificent Seven.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

My Troma order came in! Dustin Hoffman's first starring role, three Queer Troma films, and a documentary

mariusz
Aug 13, 2003

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

i have a region b player i barely use these days, there are lots of region bypass tricks for various players
most of the time on my region a panasonic ub-820 i can just press stop, top menu at the region lockout screen and it will work no problem

i think this has worked on every eureka disc i have tried so far

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

While we're talking region free, does anyone have experience with region-free modchips? I've got an LG UBK80, and I've seen there's one out there for it. $80ish and a little solder sounds a hell of a lot better than $300 or so, to me.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Chris James 2 posted:

Speaking of July announcements,

Arrow:

UK get The Last Starfighter 4K and Loop Track
US and Canada get Red Line 7000
Everywhere gets The Man from UNCLE 2015 4K and the Nico Mastorakis Collection (The Time Traveller, Sky High, Terminal Exposure, Glitch!, Ninja Academy and The Naked Truth)

The Man from UNCLE is obviously a Warner license, but the UK release of The Last Starfighter is, too! It was a Lorimar coproduction with Universal, who only own the North American rights. Apparently, this is the first time it's been on disc in the UK - I can't find anything for a UK laserdisc or DVD. One bit of warning, though - a few extras are being left off compared to the US edition because they were produced by Universal for their own DVD/laserdisc editions.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

VHS Massacre was not a good buy

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:

Gripweed posted:

VHS Massacre was not a good buy

:rip:

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
Looks like Taxi Drive 4K standalone is coming. So about a 3 year rotation after the Columbia set? Same as Lawrence, I think.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

was there ever a standard Lawrence release or was it just the Steel?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

dorium posted:

was there ever a standard Lawrence release or was it just the Steel?

Not yet, but I think we might see a lot of reissues before the end of the year to tie into Columbia's 100th anniversary.